As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Identifying a Lamp

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
q546vznpjl4g.jpg

So, pretty much the title. This is in the office of the (what I assume is) 70s-era condo I'm renting. It produces a TON of heat, which is actually kind of nice right now but also makes me worry it's going to explode. I assume that's pretty irrational considering how long the thing has been there, but I also see a scorch mark from presumably a bug flying into it and getting roasted. Should I be concerned about using this thing, or is it fine, and also does anyone know what it's called?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    its hard to see because of the glare on the photo, is there another glass casing on top of the small glass casing?

To me it looks like a high pressure sodium lamp. But I'm not some kind of lamp expert. You could replace it with basically anything and have it be more efficient.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    That's a halogen lamp, methinks.

They're okay? Yeah, they get hot. That's normal.
    That glass cover is there for a reason.

Don't touch the lamp itself with your bare hands, human skin oils will weaken the structure once it heats up, and it'll burn out quicker. (And/or explode.)
    Actually, that could very well be the cause of that burn mark. I don't see it on the picture, though. If it's not on the lamp itself you're fine, otherwise keep an eye on it, and replace it if it gets worse.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a halogen lamp. I agree with everything Ark said. Changing the bulbs is a real pain, due to the aforementioned not touching the lamp rule. I would hold it in a tissue from the moment i took it out of the package.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a halogen lamp. I agree with everything Ark said. Changing the bulbs is a real pain, due to the aforementioned not touching the lamp rule. I would hold it in a tissue from the moment i took it out of the package.

Or get a big package of latex gloves. They're helpful to have around the house for changing car headlights, too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also, per the warning sticker on the top (or bottom if you were reading it like a normal person), don't use a bulb higher than 300W or you'll risk a fire. Which tells me as long as you stay below that you should be mostly ok. Just don't put anything flammable near it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers everyone! It's pretty high up so it shouldn't be to hard to avoid putting anything flammable from it, although I confirmed the scorch mark was actually from a bug flying near it and getting roasted. If I have to change it I'll throw some gloves on, I had to do the same with car headlights recently.