As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I may be catastrophizing a bit.

I don't think this is good for me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Now you're catastrophizing your catastrophizing.

Winter blues?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Explain commandos games pls

ERM.

It is honestly very difficult to explain! There isn't really a contemporary genre of titles like Commandos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqjXdb9vZU&list=PL4E912D2B741701E0&index=3

It's an isometric real time tactical squad game... but it is mostly played as a stealth title, not a shooty title. Each map is basically a series of LoS puzzles you solve through the use of limited resources & special abilities available to your squad.

I am seriously wracking my head trying to think of a comparison. Invisible Inc is kind-of close... but not really? Because the fun of a Commandos game is mostly in how well the maps are designed, and how clever you feel after you figure-out how to navigate a map's guard patrols / obstacles.

@Jacobkosh help me out here I have no useful words.

Is it like Jagged Alliance?

Because I love the shit out of jagged alliance

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Winter blues?

I think it's more Trump blues. :sad:

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Didnt want to sit at home alone watching the game. Going to pub. Probably going to end up watching it alone there because most of the regulars traveled to Brisbane for it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Winter blues?

Yeah you just might have to dig yourself out of news perusing.

I've done it (and stopped following people on social media who are really "newsy") and it's helped.

Plus I love the cold!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If I drop 7 bucks on a month sub to fallen london, does that come with any fate? It seems like fate gives you access to the cool stories and stuff but the monthly sub doesn't?

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Winter blues?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=loKp1SJMcQs

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I've never noped out of watching a video due to the thumbnail shot so hard in my life.

Edit: Acute pain medication side effects, forgetting words lol

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    RemLazar

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Kobold just learn to speak Russian with me

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2016

ERM.

It is honestly very difficult to explain! There isn't really a contemporary genre of titles like Commandos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqjXdb9vZU&list=PL4E912D2B741701E0&index=3

It's an isometric real time tactical squad game... but it is mostly played as a stealth title, not a shooty title. Each map is basically a series of LoS puzzles you solve through the use of limited resources & special abilities available to your squad.

I am seriously wracking my head trying to think of a comparison. Invisible Inc is kind-of close... but not really? Because the fun of a Commandos game is mostly in how well the maps are designed, and how clever you feel after you figure-out how to navigate a map's guard patrols / obstacles.

@Elldren it's more like a pausable real-time puzzle game. The levels are a complicated series of tests of your ability to use your guys' skills, and your timing/reflexes. The, I dunno, the French master of disguise lady needs to use her <3 power on the machine gun post so your Italian-American bomber guy who looks like Chef Boyardee can sneak past and arm the explosives on the fuel depot while your super buff blonde heavy gunner lies in wait near the barracks to massacre everyone running outside after the bomb goes off and etc etc

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

ERM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqjXdb9vZU&amp;list=PL4E912D2B741701E0&amp;index=3

it was very tempting for me to cite jagged alliance... but no, it really isn't like that

your characters are extremely specialized, and you absolutely cannot get into a shoot out with the enemies. you have to isolate each threat and either find a way around them or silently dispatch them & hide the bodies

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

ERM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZqjXdb9vZU&amp;list=PL4E912D2B741701E0&amp;index=3

Jacobkosh help me out here I have no useful words.

I wouldn't say so.

There's no stats, leveling, or equipment.

And it's more focused on stealth, also real-time, not turn based.

I enjoyed both though for what it's worth.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

ERM.

it was very tempting for me to cite jagged alliance... but no, it really isn't like that

your characters are extremely specialized, and you absolutely cannot get into a shoot out with the enemies. you have to isolate each threat and either find a way around them or silently dispatch them & hide the bodies

Hitman meets FF Tactics meets The Lost Vikings.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Also look on the bright side! If we fall into grimdark warfare, at least we can finally use Hellmarch as our battle anthem for REALSIES

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I got a pedicure and immediately messed it up

Lelz

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    What do I do about wounds in Fallen London? I'm cage-fighting for fun and profit...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    What do I do about wounds in Fallen London? I'm cage-fighting for fun and profit...

You can rest at your lodgings

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Also look on the bright side! If we fall into grimdark warfare, at least we can finally use Hellmarch as our battle anthem for REALSIES

America is not going to turn into a grim 40K hellscape, you rabble rouser.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Duh we don't have that kind of technology

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

ERM.

Elldren it's more like a pausable real-time puzzle game. The levels are a complicated series of tests of your ability to use your guys' skills, and your timing/reflexes. The, I dunno, the French master of disguise lady needs to use her <3 power on the machine gun post so your Italian-American bomber guy who looks like Chef Boyardee can sneak past and arm the explosives on the fuel depot while your super buff blonde heavy gunner lies in wait near the barracks to massacre everyone running outside after the bomb goes off and etc etc

You make it sound like Monaco...not sure if that's a good comparison though?

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Yes. This chat is pure, and good
    wfxldlkxpxpw.jpg

=][=

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

ERM.

Elldren it's more like a pausable real-time puzzle game. The levels are a complicated series of tests of your ability to use your guys' skills, and your timing/reflexes. The, I dunno, the French master of disguise lady needs to use her <3 power on the machine gun post so your Italian-American bomber guy who looks like Chef Boyardee can sneak past and arm the explosives on the fuel depot while your super buff blonde heavy gunner lies in wait near the barracks to massacre everyone running outside after the bomb goes off and etc etc

You make it sound like Monaco...not sure if that's a good comparison though?

It kind of is? I don't remember if Commandos had a multiplayer aspect to it. It's also more click-based (click a mans, click where you want them to go) where I seem to recall that you actually directly controlled your people in Monaco. But it's definitely that sort of, the level gives you a bunch of obstacles that you use your powers to overcome/solve.

• Options
    I really want to scratch my jagged alliance itch

Anyone know anything that works like it?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

Elif Batuman? She wrote a humorous book about being a Russian lit grad student...

• Options

Winter blues?

Yeah you just might have to dig yourself out of news perusing.

I've done it (and stopped following people on social media who are really "newsy") and it's helped.

Plus I love the cold!

Yeah, the cold is nice.

My finals are next week so then I can move on from this kinda shit semester. And then I have a lot of free time from there.

And (even though I know nobody else in [chat] cares) there's two Smash tourneys coming up next weekend that I'm interested in.
    There's 2GGT ZeRo saga, a Smash 4 major-ish thing which seems to be the most stacked 2GGT so far. Also, it pits an unstoppable force — ZeRo, who is by far Smash 4's best player — against an immovable object — the 2GGT curse, which states that if there is a 2GGT held in your honor, you will not win it.

Also, there's Don't Park on the Grass, which is a Melee tournament. But what makes it interesting to me is that there is no clear favorite to win it since none of the Melee gods are in attendance. Sure there's good players like SFAT and Ice, but none of the traditionally dominant players are going to be there. And while the lack of star power might turn some people off, I'm honestly tempted to tune into it over ZeRo saga if there's a dull patch.

Also Christmas is coming up I guess and I'm getting an actually decent graphics card for my desktop so that'll be fun.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i think i am nearing the end of shadow tactics
    its good tho and i will probably try for the badges until i inevitably lose interest in everything and start staring at the walls

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254960/

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Oi I started a pick pocketing challenge not realizing I'll hamstring myself if I've already played through my oppo cards deck

An aspiring author such as I should never have slunk into these grimy alleys

/frets

/slinks

• Options
  • Options
    So she can read our new constitution in the lingua Franca then

• Options

@credeiki You can rest in your lodgings for 3 actions and that has a like 60% chance of reducing your wounds (and giving other rewards) although if it fails they might raise slightly or you could get Nightmares. Other players can nurse you back to health - they need to select that on their menu, and be aware that other players may opt to "nurse" you back to "health" with poison, since Munchausen by Proxy i guess fits the Victorian theme.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

...Yes, actually. Well kind of.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

Medieval theme, though.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yes. This chat is pure, and good

=][=

Agreed entirely.

Death to the false emperor

• Options
    2017 is going to end with Trump and Putin fucking each other in the Oval Office while the world is nuked into oblivion.

• Options
    I mean, it's no sexy pokemon [chat] (the 2016 [chat] of the year) but it's a solid opener for the 2017 [chat] of the year nomination process

This discussion has been closed.