As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Actually, it might even be 10 characters, because I'm pretty sure I had one that was my regular 8-char username plus two chars.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2016
    Setting up a new site.

Accessing the site root redirects to the cPanel placeholder page. Accessing /index.html works though.

I do a .htaccess song and dance routine, with and without a DirectoryIndex or any .htaccess at all. Nope, refuses to work.

15 minutes later I try from the desktop computer. And there / works and gives me the index page. The laptop keeps redirecting / to the placeholder page.

Dubya Tee Eff.

edit: cleared the browser cache. Works. :rotate:

That's some messed up caching.

Echo on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wonder if it would be better for security to assign usernames in a way that isn't predictable.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I worked at one firm that would use the first letter of the user's last name and then their first name. Worked fine until they hired Rick Peterson. But all of his e-mails to the support desk were filtered out by the spam filters. So it took a while to get that one fixed.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I worked at one firm that would use the first letter of the user's last name and then their first name. Worked fine until they hired Rick Peterson. But all of his e-mails to the support desk were filtered out by the spam filters. So it took a while to get that one fixed.

Look Rick. Your name simply doesn't fit the naming scheme. Your new name is Henry.

I'm sorry but this is the only solution.

edit: spelling and grammar fixed. That's what I get for posting before coffee.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    We did first initial last name at this place I worked and it was perfectly fine until we hired one Nicole Igger.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Sabrina Hitter

Francis Ucker

Douglas Ouchebag.

You know, common names.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ouchebag? Of the Pennsylvania Ouchebags?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Re: Computer Names

I totally name our computers after users. Our turnover is really really low in the areas where I can do this in the first place (Read: Aren't using thin clients), and it's 1 salt command away from happening.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »

I totally name our computers after users. Our turnover is really really low in the areas where I can do this in the first place (Read: Aren't using thin clients), and it's 1 salt command away from happening.

I name computers after their department and phone extension.

Cog wrote: »

You must have departments and job descriptions and stuff, then.

Lucky.

Lucky.

I'm the sysadmin who fills out the description field and everything on the Address and Telephones and Organization tabs and sets the Manager for every account so you can see who reports to who and every manager's direct reports.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    we have employee numbers, then mail is just firstname.lastname. If there's dupes, they add the office number to distinguish. Considering we have 10's of thousands of employees, it works pretty well.

Lucky.

I'm the sysadmin who fills out the description field and everything on the Address and Telephones and Organization tabs and sets the Manager for every account so you can see who reports to who and every manager's direct reports.

So, wait, you actually know who your managers are?

I feel like you're Deadpool and I'm Morena Baccarin (only I'm better looking), and I'm just gonna keep doing this.

edited December 2016

Lucky.

I feel like you're Deadpool and I'm Morena Baccarin (only I'm better looking), and I'm just gonna keep doing this.

At least you guys are in comic movies.

I'm over here in a Three Stooges flick.

Seidkona on
    edited December 2016

Lucky.

Consultant.

When I start at a new client, I ask all the questions I need to fill out all that shit.

EDIT: Also since I'm a consultant I don't know everyone at the various clients very well so actually having that info is priceless.

Cog on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Lucky.

"Here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
    I beg your pardon?
    Eight bosses.
    Eight?
    Eight, Bob. So that means in Active Directory you have to mess with custom attributes."

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yeah, our scheme is based on the limitation of the first computer account people got: the AS/400. Funny thing is, though, AS/400 usernames can be 9 characters... In fact, my original boss had a 9-char username across all systems, and she would have been the second user added to the AS/400. We've had half a dozen chances to change it, but we haven't done it.

oh god that's literally the same thing in my scenario, AS400. what a terrible terrible system. I do not miss fighting with that thing at all.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    New Xerox copiers coming tomorrow, replacing the old sharps that have been giving us a shit time.

Also moving the sharps up to our sister company that I provide support for :rotate:

New Xerox copiers coming tomorrow, replacing the old sharps that have been giving us a shit time.

Also moving the sharps up to our sister company that I provide support for :rotate:

Two steps forward....

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have a Sharepoint site (O365) with a form that needs to be edited.

I cannot for the life of me find where to do that.

TL DR wrote: »

you didn't check in the install guide?

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Anyone here turn on auditing on their file server? We had an issue and now management is wanting to know about who copied what file.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Anyone here turn on auditing on their file server? We had an issue and now management is wanting to know about who copied what file.
    Yeah, I did it one time to discover (prove) which one of my colleagues kept deleting the web filter login exe from the netlogon share. I assume you know that it won't be retroactive. The main thing to remember is to be careful how many files you are watching. It does work, in any case.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    we name our computers after users

it's nice when you don't have good asset tracking/inventory management

and people aren't swapping around so if a new person is gonna use a machine it'll get re-imaged so it doesn't matter much

asset tag is pretty good if you have proper asset tracking

for servers though I prefer having their physical location (room, row, rack, and U) as the hostname: they shouldn't need to move much, and when some poor sysadmin 15 years from now has to track down the ancient machine shitting up the new production systems with malformed requests they can just ask it what its name is

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    We had a client with ~30 PCs that never moved

but the office manager had detailed records of every PC and who its user was. You could go back through this giant binder and see who the first tech was to re-image a PC that had been rebuilt twice since and hadn't been in the company for over a year.

but the office manager had detailed records of every PC and who its user was. You could go back through this giant binder and see who the first tech was to re-image a PC that had been rebuilt twice since and hadn't been in the company for over a year.

. . .

Why?

Entaru wrote: »

. . .

Why?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because evaluating one's tendency to appear busy is the closest we've gotten to evaluating productivity in most industries?

. . .

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I did it one time to discover (prove) which one of my colleagues kept deleting the web filter login exe from the netlogon share. I assume you know that it won't be retroactive. The main thing to remember is to be careful how many files you are watching. It does work, in any case.

I told them you can't tell what files were copied previously without auditing being on then but they're bringing in an "expert" anyways. I checked to see if anything was deleted but nothing stood out as suspicious.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy

I told them you can't tell what files were copied previously without auditing being on then but they're bringing in an "expert" anyways. I checked to see if anything was deleted but nothing stood out as suspicious.
    "Yeah, sure I'll turn on auditing for the 2.8 million files on the network drives just in case we need to look at it in the future. You know, when the logs take up most of the storage on the server and there will be no room for anyone to even edit a file three months from now." We have had this conversation with HR before.

Be very happy you don't work here

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/hpe-storage-crash-killed-ato-online-services-444490

Recovering 1 Petabyte of data.... wow.

Really though, is there a good source for how to manage a Sharepoint site (other than "don't, lol")?

I can't help but feel that I'm missing something; an application or some plugin or something, because even simple tasks seem impossible.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It's amazing when users suddenly become tech wizards.

We switch over to Adobe licensing using adobe accounts instead of like, product keys. So the users get an invite, have to create their account, then sign into the adobe sight, navigate to the part that will let them download Acrobat, and run the installer.

I looked at the instructions that are being handed out with it and they're fine, but it's broken down into like 10 steps across two pages, the kind of thing most users won't even take a second glance at before calling for help.
    So far like 150 people have gone through with no complaints.

Acrobat as a status symbol is real.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I grew up learning MySQL but I'm starting to learn about what else is out there. Are open source DBs more popular than proprietary stuff like Oracle?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    2 pages worth of steps is fine as long as they're simple and don't use crazy terms, as soon as they're told "double click and install" they lock up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular

Really though, is there a good source for how to manage a Sharepoint site (other than "don't, lol")?

I can't help but feel that I'm missing something; an application or some plugin or something, because even simple tasks seem impossible.

What version?
    Basically go into the list who's form you want to edit.
    In the ribbon you will see list settings.
    That is where you create the fields and crap.

For the actual layout of your form, infopath or ezforms plug in is what you want to use.
    If they did it originally in sharepoint designer then god have mercy on your soul.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Be very happy you don't work here

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/hpe-storage-crash-killed-ato-online-services-444490

Recovering 1 Petabyte of data.... wow.

Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

That is a lot of porn to recover.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Worrying things I discovered today about my bank's security policies:

The default password for all new online accounts is the bank's name in all lower case.

LD50 on
    LD50 wrote: »
    Worring things I discovered today about my bank's security policies:

The default password for all new online accounts is the bank's name in all lower case.

*visits bankofamerica.com*

This discussion has been closed.