As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East 2017 Hotel Partners and Hotel Discussion

• Options
    NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    How do reservations through OnPeak work? Can they be cancelled? I'm bringing my girlfriend to her first PAX this year, but due to health issues* she needs a hotel fairly close to the BCEC. I'm hoping that I can get one of the big three (ideally the one that's connected to the BCEC) if a room opens... But should I reserve something at, say, the Langham (currently the closest available) in the meantime? Can I then cancel the Langham reservation if I get another one? I would assume so, but want to be sure.

*Is there someone to contact about medical needs, for PAX and/or housing?

They can be easily cancelled through the online system - just make sure you read the fine print when reserving, there's usually a last day (2-4 weeks before the con) that you can modify reservations online. I don't know it off the top of my head unfortunately.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    How do reservations through OnPeak work? Can they be cancelled? I'm bringing my girlfriend to her first PAX this year, but due to health issues* she needs a hotel fairly close to the BCEC. I'm hoping that I can get one of the big three (ideally the one that's connected to the BCEC) if a room opens... But should I reserve something at, say, the Langham (currently the closest available) in the meantime? Can I then cancel the Langham reservation if I get another one? I would assume so, but want to be sure.

*Is there someone to contact about medical needs, for PAX and/or housing?

Yes, reservations through OnPeak can be cancelled. When you make the initial reservations it will allow you to select dates, room type and give you the total cost (incld. room rate, taxes, fees, etc.) However the reservations are transferred from OnPeak to the hotels about 2 weeks before the convention so after that any changes to the reservation will have to be made directly through the hotel, and they ALL have a cut off date for cancellations. You need to keep track of them and cancel as needed, because if you don't the hotel will charge you as a no show.

If you have an other questions related medical accommodations, etc. questions you should email pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Options
    SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    If anyone is looking, some stuff just reopened on OnPeak.. like single room saturdays at the Seaport. Probably not a lot but figured I'd give people a heads up

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    Has anyone stayed at the Westin Copley? I'm thinking of staying there instead of the Boston Park Plaza.

• Options
    imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Mercyd1403 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed at the Westin Copley? I'm thinking of staying there instead of the Boston Park Plaza.

Stayed there outside of PAX. I am a Starwoods member and I got upgraded (so that probably biases my opinion somewhat) but it was easily one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in. The hotel itself is pretty swanky too and has a nice restaurant/bar area.

The most relevant area of concern for you is distance to BCEC. I don't know if they offer a shuttle but public transportation is about a half an hour one-way. I haven't used Uber/Lyft in Boston but that's another option too.

The upside about the distance problem is that you're in a pretty lively area of Boston. Outside of BCEC the Seaport district isn't very exciting. There's plenty to see and do in Copley Square and I believe many of the after parties will also be closer to you there.

imnotalawyer on
    faPgNTD
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, Westin Copley is nice and close to a lot of different stuff in Back Bay. As others have said - it will be far for the mornings/getting back, but also far enough you shouldn't see lots of PAX people clogging the restaurants.

• Options
    Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the insight, I really do appreciate.

• Options
    craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    theres a fri/sat night at the aloft that are open.

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    For those who have stayed at the Park Plaza, how was your experience? Oddly it looks more upscale but is one of the most affordable options and relatively close to the event. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Logan Airport last year and while it was certainly nice enough (It had a pool and a hot-tub), it was sort of a PITA to get to and from the convention center.

• Options
    craiola wrote: »
    Very interestingly I didn't get a notification for this comment, but happened to check this morning and booked that Aloft room!

Unfortunately the one bed is far too small for our group, but at least we have SOMETHING even if we end up having to switch.

Anyone have feedback for the Aloft from last year? I'm mostly concerned about space, those rooms look tiny.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    NFG wrote: »
    Very interestingly I didn't get a notification for this comment, but happened to check this morning and booked that Aloft room!

Unfortunately the one bed is far too small for our group, but at least we have SOMETHING even if we end up having to switch.

Anyone have feedback for the Aloft from last year? I'm mostly concerned about space, those rooms look tiny.

I didn't stay in aloft (stayed in the element last year) but I hear the rooms are very tight. Well configured - but tight. I've had good luck in the past getting doubles as it gets closer to PAX either through calling the hotel, or getting lucky on Onpeak.

Here's the tripadvisor page for the Aloft. They typically include guest photos along with those provided by the hotel. https://tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60745-d8145466-i220339884-Aloft_Boston_Seaport-Boston_Massachusetts.html

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    RenegadeTK wrote: »
    For those who have stayed at the Park Plaza, how was your experience? Oddly it looks more upscale but is one of the most affordable options and relatively close to the event. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Logan Airport last year and while it was certainly nice enough (It had a pool and a hot-tub), it was sort of a PITA to get to and from the convention center.

I stayed at park plaza for one night when I went to a concert in boston this year. Very nice hotel very upscale as well. The room I had was kinda small but knew it would be going in just was for me and one other person so wasnt a huge deal. Either way very nice hotel though

• Options
    fail3nfail3n Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Every year I've gone to Pax East I have stayed at the Westin, which is super convenient due to it being connected to the convention. This year I am contemplating The Seaport. I heard it is nicer, but it's not connected (but a very short walk). What does everyone else think is the better of the 2?

k3TkYg2.png
  • Options
    fail3n wrote: »
    Every year I've gone to Pax East I have stayed at the Westin, which is super convenient due to it being connected to the convention. This year I am contemplating The Seaport. I heard it is nicer, but it's not connected (but a very short walk). What does everyone else think is the better of the 2?

Having stayed at both, I wouldn't consider the Seaport nicer. Equally nice, clean. The walk is very short, but can't be completely discounted - especially when the con is in early March and temperatures are still low.

I prefer the Westin, but Seaport is easier to get rooms in and /almost/ as good. Can't recall what the price difference is, if there is one.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The seaport is far far nicer from my perspective. It's also not attached to the convention center. Those are the main points I would put forth when making that decision.

• Options
    right now my group has a room at the westin and 2 rooms at the seaport (I'm organizing a huge group this year T.T) and i'm definitely choosing to stay at the seaport. While the westin is closer and has the convenience of the skybridge, I find the skybridge is often closed. The seaport is also right at the T stop which makes leaving super convenient too.

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Seaport is also closer to food/drinks. I like the Renaissance personally. Park Plaza rooms are small, but it is in the middle of another food/drink/entertainment area.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    mayapple wrote: »
    Seaport is also closer to food/drinks. I like the Renaissance personally. Park Plaza rooms are small, but it is in the middle of another food/drink/entertainment area.

We stayed at the Renaissance last year and I'm glad to be back in it. The secret starbucks and the relatively spacious rooms made for an easy stay.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Wed-Sun open at the Seaport currently.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular

Having stayed at both the Seaport and Westin Waterfront, I'd figure I would chime in too.

First, distance is practically a negligible consideration here. Seaport is a two minute walk or less if you're motivated. In all likelihood it will be cold this PAX but you will still need to venture outside in the mornings if you're staying at the Waterfront. The skybridge only opens to the public in the early/mid-afternoon.

Second, price is also practically negligible (at least if you're booking through OnPeak).

Third, Seaport is the nicer of the two hotels. It was recently renovated (perhaps two years back?) and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Seaport also has noticeably nicer amenities. The gym, spa, and pool are all worth a visit if you need a break from PAX. Speaking of which, the Seaport manages to insulate you from PAX which can be really great. Sometimes I suffer from PAX overload and need to reset/get away from the crowds. Seaport is really quiet and subdued. Comparatively it can be really tough to do that at the Waterfront.

Conversely, there is always something going on at the Waterfront! If you want to do PAX buzzer to buzzer then this is your hotel! People will constantly be playing games in the lobby and mezzanine. When the skybridge does become available, it is pretty useful if you need to run back to your room. Rooms themselves are pretty nondescript. Nothing fancy but certainly nothing wrong with them.

TL;DR Stay at the Westin if you want to be in the action. Stay at the Seaport if quiet and relaxation are important to you.

faPgNTD
  • Options
    DisposableLemurDisposableLemur Registered User regular
    It's also worth noting that the Westin is the only hotel near the convention center that still charges for wifi/internet access. It's slow and costly at that. I like the ease of access, but the Seaport is hands down a nicer hotel. Better room service, better in house restaurants, more subdued atmosphere.

• Options
    DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    I have never spent time in my hotel room outside of first day entering, last day leaving, sleeping, or when I'm really really drunk. There's a convention going on where the badges are extremely hard to get and it's right next door, take advantage of the time and enjoy it!!

tFh5HdJ.png
  • Options
    Domino wrote: »
    I have never spent time in my hotel room outside of first day entering, last day leaving, sleeping, or when I'm really really drunk. There's a convention going on where the badges are extremely hard to get and it's right next door, take advantage of the time and enjoy it!!
    Different people need different levels of separation and sleep quality for that matter. I know when I go with a large group the separation is nice because it's almost a physical mark of ok, we are off con time and you decide which way you are going. It's also different if you are with friends or family, or dragging your 6 month old along. Lol. Each hotel has strengths and weaknesses.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    ButerflySamuraiButerflySamurai Registered User regular
    Anyone have any suggestions on nabbing a closer room? How do I keep an eye out for the rooms opening back up?

KrnMI2o.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Refresh the hotel page constantly. Pretty much it.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    I check a few times a day, as the convention gets closer I check more frequently. You tend to see a lot more openings in the new year closer to PAX

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    Yeah you just need to constantly check...worked out for me last year. I was able to grab a room at the renaissance. It is also a lot of luck too.

• Options
    There is a drop date on the site for groups. Basically when people decide they can't go, or when people with multiple bookings finally decide.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I don't know how many will see this because of the holiday, but there are a few single and double occupancy single double bed rooms at the seaport for friday and saturday.

• Options
    RenegadexBlackoutRenegadexBlackout Registered User regular
    Just wondering if anyone has room for 6? We cant find anyone in the room share forum. Email me at airxforcexandshock@gmail.com or dm me, thanks.

• Options
    Just wondering if anyone has room for 6? We cant find anyone in the room share forum. Email me at airxforcexandshock@gmail.com or dm me, thanks.

with six people you'd really be looking at a room or two for yourselves. Your group will probably need to split up or get your own room. Keep stalking on peak and you should be able to nab a room at one of the closer hotels.

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    fail3nfail3n Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    A few of rooms have opened at Element, Aloft, and Seaport for the whole weekend

fail3n on
    k3TkYg2.png
  • Options
    A few of rooms have opened at Element, Aloft, and Seaport for the whole weekend

Thanks! Got my one at the Element.

Is the element not offering 3/4-Occupancy this year? Last year I booked quad-occupancy (2 beds) and ended up in a one-bedroom anyway, not sure if the rooms vary.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Yus, finall got my wednesday :D doesn't look like they're offering the Tuesday after at all so i'll have to go somewhere else for the night

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    Is onpeak down for anyone else? I kept receiving an error yesterday and go the same error today

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    CommanderZimCommanderZim Registered User regular
    Is onpeak down for anyone else? I kept receiving an error yesterday and go the same error today

I've been getting the same thing and still am currently.

• Options

yup, I think it's been down since yesterday evening. Worked yesterday morning.

S2ieAvx.png
  • Options
    Glad to know i'm not going crazy. I'm sure it will be fixed soon :)

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, it's not working for me either. I think it's been having problems since yesterday afternoon.

• Options
    Looks to be back up. Just got a single bed at the seaport for Sat night. Still need Thurs and Fri but we're getting there...double rooms would be nice too but I'm dreaming

DXLJjjr.png