As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Looking at that thread, those guys are convinced that Yahtzee is one of the new hires. I wouldn't put too much stock into their rumormonging.

Undead Scottsman on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Jeff has talked many times about wanting a larger staff so that they could do more edited content, so I hope he is finally getting his wish.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also it's important to remember that there are site positions that are not forward facing in any way that will sometimes need to be filled

8OentAw.png

like look at this group of on camera every day Giant Bomb staff

liEt3nH.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    What? He already said that a few months ago that both East and West were getting new hires.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So any bets on how long the DOTAtalk is going to be tomorrow? Because I bet Brad's got a few things to say.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    probably like, maybe 2 minutes

brad doesn't really engage with dota much at all anymore

liEt3nH.png
    Watching Jar Time, Jeff mentions new hires during a conversation about how they're short staffed, and that they need more bodies so the site doesn't have a noticeable drop in content went people get sick or go on vacation, and so they could potentially do something like a college tour without leaving the website to rot for a few weeks.

I don't think anyone is going anywhere. Well, except Dan to New York (if he gets his shit sorted out.)

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    East desperately needs a 2nd video producer, since everyone at GB knows Vinny is also the frontman for that half of the organization and that is a tooooon of shit on one guy's plate.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The biggest takeaway from Jar Time is that their next hires won't include a dedicated news person given what happened to their last two.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    IIRC, they were going to get someone for GBE when Austin left, then Dan announced his transfer and Jeff started talking about a new GBW hire instead. I guess somewhere along the way he started seriously considering at least two new hires, one for each coast's needs?

Adam Sessler shows up in the most recent mailbag, hugging Vinny and chatting with him. People are already assuming he's the new hire even though it'd make very little sense.

Point is, ever since Patrick bailed after GOTY, I've sorta started assuming GOTY is when the 'Goodbye' hammer drops. Irrational, maybe, especially since Patrick technically left much earlier but was allowed to stay till GOTY, Austin left in the summer, Ryan passed in the summer, etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Jeff has basically thrown around the idea of an entire GB staff that the OG staff can train and work with to handle the site when they are gone. Basically that script treatment for the original 3rd Ghostbusters movie, with a team of rookies.

I'd certainly be curious to see that sort of thing. Austin mentioned Jeff trying real hard to get him to stay, so I wonder if that had something to do with Austin running the GB freelance program.

Or maybe Jeff just tried to throw money at him too

steam_sig.png

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I would be very sad if Vinny left. Even baseless speculation that he is leaving makes me sad.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I would be very sad if Vinny left. Even baseless speculation that he is leaving makes me sad.

Yeah it would be the end for me. I would probably tune in for their GOTY stuff but regular listening would be done. Hopefully it is just baseless speculation.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, it's literally baseless speculation. NeoGAF posters don't know anything more then we do.

yeah everyone knows it's SomethingAwful Brad has a secret account on

liEt3nH.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    yeah everyone knows it's SomethingAwful Brad has a secret account on

reddit.com/user/barkerville69420

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I listen to the Beastcast like...once a month? Maybe? If I happen to remember "oh right it's a Friday" and download it

Which is up from not listening to it at all pre-Dan-on-vacation, which was got me listening to it in the first place

I'll probably make a more concerted effort to listen to it weekly once he makes the move

What I'm saying is I wouldn't care at all if Vinny left

It sucks when people leave but others can certainly step up

UnbreakableVow on
    Perhaps the most vowpinon of them all.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am definitely looking forward to Vinny leading Dan on more often. That's always great.

Yeah I think Dan/Vinny/Alex is an incredible combination and dynamic

They even made Shenmue briefly watchable

liEt3nH.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Right now is the best time to be reading Vow opinion posts.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I listen to the Beastcast like...once a month? Maybe? If I happen to remember "oh right it's a Friday" and download it

Which is up from not listening to it at all pre-Dan-on-vacation, which was got me listening to it in the first place

I'll probably make a more concerted effort to listen to it weekly once he makes the move

What I'm saying is I wouldn't care at all if Vinny left

It sucks when people leave but others can certainly step up

I don't think I would say that anyone at GB has ever 'stepped up' when someone else left.

Like, they just kept on doing their normal thing and eventually got someone to fill the hole in their own way.

Vinny, Alex, and Dan are Good. Alex and Dan without Vinny would be Bad.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I meant others from outside the site, they'll hire someone new

I didn't think they'd ever get out of the post-Ryan slump they were in for a while there, and then they went and hired my favorite GB guy

New blood now and then is usually good

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    The last couple Beastcasts with Jeff and Drew were especially good. We got some of that old Jeff and Vinny magic, plus Drew seemed to get more involved in the conversation. On the Bombcast he can end up more in the background.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    IIRC, they were going to get someone for GBE when Austin left, then Dan announced his transfer and Jeff started talking about a new GBW hire instead. I guess somewhere along the way he started seriously considering at least two new hires, one for each coast's needs?

Adam Sessler shows up in the most recent mailbag, hugging Vinny and chatting with him. People are already assuming he's the new hire even though it'd make very little sense.

Point is, ever since Patrick bailed after GOTY, I've sorta started assuming GOTY is when the 'Goodbye' hammer drops. Irrational, maybe, especially since Patrick technically left much earlier but was allowed to stay till GOTY, Austin left in the summer, Ryan passed in the summer, etc.

When you brought up Sessler my knee-jerk reaction was, "Ugh, that would never work."

Then I thought about it and it may be good to have another front-facing veteran like Jeff on staff. It won't ever happen, but I actually like the idea.

Reality is he was probably @ CBS to do something about the Friday the 13th game w/ Gamespot.

I listened to that Sessler guest podcast a few weeks back and it was still pretty fun. I doubt they want to go down that route though.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I doubt Sessler would want to get back into press/get out of the highly lucrative world of consultancy. But yeah, if you need someone who knows how to do stuff in front of a camera, and who is also a fantastic wordsman, Sessler is far from the worst choice you could make. He and Jeff go way back anyway.
    The last couple Beastcasts with Jeff and Drew were especially good. We got some of that old Jeff and Vinny magic, plus Drew seemed to get more involved in the conversation. On the Bombcast he can end up more in the background.

Yeah, I figured Drew wanted to be on the Beastcast since he had to leave early last week to go get his laser eyes. But he was much more involved, presumably because the Beastcast is not live and does not have any sort of video facet to it at all. So he could stop worrying about camera angles and just be a guest on the show.

steam_sig.png

The key thing missing from GB right now was the brilliant way that Jeff, Ryan and Vinny would being able to improv off of each other. With Ryan gone and Jeff and Vinny on separate coasts, that shit is gone. Vinny/Alex/Austin were getting pretty good at it, but then Austin had to go and get all successful on us and I don't think Alex is enough of a foil for Vinny to really flex his improv.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm expecting good things from Vinny/Alex/Dan, the stuff they did while he was in NY was all quality (except the NMS QL, I felt like eating my own tongue by the end of that one). Alex is a great foil for both of them, his jaded deadpan is perfect to keep the other two's chaos in check.

edited December 2016
    The key thing missing from GB right now was the brilliant way that Jeff, Ryan and Vinny would being able to improv off of each other. With Ryan gone and Jeff and Vinny on separate coasts, that shit is gone. Vinny/Alex/Austin were getting pretty good at it, but then Austin had to go and get all successful on us and I don't think Alex is enough of a foil for Vinny to really flex his improv.

No, and Dan moving over there does nothing for that either, as he's terrible on the fly and just defaults to his heel trash if he does try and jump in to something happening.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I will say, Alex has done a great job of stepping up in the last year or so. While it's a bummer that Austin left just as the east coast dynamic was really getting good, I'm pretty optimistic about a Vinny/Alex/Dan combo.
    At the same time, a good new hire on the west coast is going to be pretty crucial.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I will say, Alex has done a great job of stepping up in the last year or so. While it's a bummer that Austin left just as the east coast dynamic was really getting good, I'm pretty optimistic about a Vinny/Alex/Dan combo.
    At the same time, a good new hire on the west coast is going to be pretty crucial.

It's super crucial. West coast is dire right now.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Honestly, West coast seems really boring and drab right now. Dan was the last bit of chaos left there.

I'll keep watching because of Jeff. Dude is an endless font of videogame history and trivia.

Thankfully, it looks like more science will be applied in the near future.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'll keep watching because of Jeff. Dude is an endless font of videogame history and trivia.

I used to hear this all the time but after subbing and watching a lot of the stuff with Jeff in it, dudes like a savant.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    West still definitely have a lot going for them. Like has been said, Jeff is quite knowledgeable about the industry and its history. Drew is also great (though obviously he has to split his time between on camera and behind the scenes).
    A shot of fresh energy in the form of a good new hire would certainly be welcome though.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I think it would be awesome if one of the new hires wasn't a dude, if only to shake up the dynamic a bit.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    They should just hire Kojima and let him produce with Vinny.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    They should just hire Kojima and let him produce with Vinny.

No, hire Kojima and put him on the west coast, but announce it the day after Dan leaves.

This discussion has been closed.