As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Art Thread

Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
newmutants_by_royalboiler-d90l02v.jpg

I just wanted to start this thread to say I love Brandon Graham so much. Total mancrush. Hits me right in the early 90s.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos

• BankruptsteveBankruptsteve Registered User regular
    Yeah, he's pretty amazing. Him, Jim Mahfood, Kristian Donaldson and James Harvey are some of my favorites.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    mahfood's style has gotten a bit scratchy for my liking now, i preferred his work back in the days of the gen-x underground special

23e18fad595ca1f50a596b76b26a1508.jpg

other guys in the buy-on-site list:

stokoe

poisonthrower-01.jpg?w=640

camuncoli:

CaptainSpit.jpg

and batting for japan, hiroaki samura:

391431.jpg

• Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Gotta love Stokoe.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Puttin' this here for Munch.

tumblr_ns2w0zaRos1r6m3eno1_1280.jpg

Link

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Does Stokoe do his own coloring?

I feel like a ton of his stuff lately has the same blood red hue to it, sort of like peering through a thin slice of a mango and then holding it up to the light.

Ja, he does - he tends to favor vivid reds, sickly greens, and blues like bruises.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Don't forget the companion piece!
    LraHVkpl.jpg

Lots of good art taste in this thread!

59ua4u2l.jpg
    Wildcat by Rian Miller, of Art... or Else! It's a cool art blog where these two artists kind of duel, challenging each other to draw different characters. Neat stuff on there.

CsbheFPh.jpg
    Legion by George Kambadais. This dude's a fantastic artist, with a really fun, distinct style, and I recently binged through Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy in TPBs, which is fantastic.

HeSWEUrh.jpg
    Swamp Knight by NSFW Lin Visel. NSFW I've been a fan of Visel since reading her webcomic, Chipperwhale, and she just keeps getting better.

TiDdFq0l.png
    Space Cabby by Jordan Neves. Jordan does some of my favorite stuff with minimalist black and white art, but his full-color stuff is also incredible.

IVQRWrrh.jpg
    Princess Peach by kodysandwich. Follow him if you're on Tumblr. Dude's a machine, who cranks out some really awesome fanart at an inhuman pace.

l4Bey1F.jpg
    Fantomah by "Calamity" Jon Morris. I love this character, and Morris' style is killer.

G8b3mig.jpg
    Cable by Giannis Milonogiannis. For my money, this dude does some of the best cyberpunk-by-way-of-80s-anime stuff around. Check out his comic, Old City Blues.

yL60cLl.jpg
    Locke by Marian Churchland. Currently doing two different stories in the 8House family of books, Churcland's wispy, pale figures really remind me of Yoshitaka Amano's work on Final Fantasy. But her stuff also has this lovely color palette, along with a very tactile feel to the art. Go grab her book, Beast, from Image. It's awesome.

JrKalvs.png
    Sailor Moon by sailorswayze. Another of those artists that's just a fanart machine, SailorSwayze's bouncy, rounded style really seems to be drawing on cartoons as much or more than comics, which gives her work a really energetic tone. Go read her webcomic, Tagged. It's fun.

hz6gewU.jpg
    Hawkeye by Jordan Witt. Again, I just really dig Witt's style. She does the lines-free thing that almost makes her characters look like construction paper cutouts, complete with interesting textures and blocky figures. She's completed one webcomic, and is currently doing Organization of Ghost Hunters, which is shaping up to be really cool.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_nse6mzGftU1skr4hwo1_540.png

edited August 2015
  • M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Let's talk about why Brittney Williams is the only artist that should be doing Superman:

tumblr_mpun1bw6R91rtzymxo1_1280.jpg

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They match! Adorable.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If were talking about comic book artists, I tend to really love the more styleized people, like of course Kirby was and still is amazing. Mignola sticks in my brain as something I wish I could do and want to see more of, and I love love love Aja

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    some of my favorite artists

Mignola:
    cu27x2yb5vtp.jpg

Bachalo:
    cazyfvm5kzvs.jpg

Aragones:
    q09w2tv0e8ik.jpg

Say what you will about Sergio Aragones, but his attention to detail may be unrivaled in the comics industry

Xaquin on
    tumblr_ntahxv352G1qazbepo1_500.jpg

Please tell me there is a Lee/Kirby Doctor Doom story that is basically a retelling of the Tom Sawyer fence painting sequence.

tumblr_nqidjvwHTn1r3y9p5o1_1280.jpg

by Kwanchai Moriya

tumblr_nuwnc02z4V1uv5dupo1_540.jpg

"Astonishing #6 (1951) / Marvel/Atlas. / Art by Norman Steinberg"

tumblr_nu4rcjSwQC1r4w8k5o1_540.jpg

image provenance unknown!

What If? #11, first series.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    tumblr_mfmp4tOHIZ1ropthqo1_540.jpg

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Huh... Wait... What's going on there????

Never knew Popeye was supposed to be a ginger. Guess it works.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Brandon Peterson does some great work.
    hbd6hlt002ac.jpg

Keith Giffen has gone through a number of different styles over the years, his work on the Legion reboot was great, I loved the 3x3 panel format he used and how dirty he made the future look, after years of the 30th century looking so neat and clean.
    bej09zp0z1j4.jpg

Hands down my favorite for expressive characters is Kevin Maguire.
    mswtr487j30k.jpg

• MacMcCrackMacMcCrack Duchess of Manboob Wherever mediocrity is celebratedRegistered User regular
    Mignolaaaaaaaaa!

hellboy-thefury-01.jpg

comicrocket%20banner.jpg
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I still remember Mignola's art back in the 90s, Cosmic Odyssey with Starlin, notably.
    green+slime.jpg

MTIOAnnual20005.jpg

This came up today - from Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 - because I was talking with a friend about vampire stories, and how even Stephen King tried his hand at it - and when the subject of Salem's Lot comes up, I always remember this panel sequence.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I thought this headline was from a Onion style comic news site at first.

Mike Mignola: Why I'm ending Hellboy to go paint watercolors instead

But it's real.
    When will we get to see your paintings?

If you come by the house, you can see them. I hadn’t given it any thought. Ideally, I’m working on this stuff for a year, and certainly if anything good shows up, I’ll post it on Facebook or I’ll put it on our website, because I’m not one of those guys that’s gonna be content to say, “Oh, they’re just for me,” which is apparently what you hear about [Calvin and Hobbes creator] Bill Watterson – he’s just painting for himself. If I do anything halfway good, I want everybody to see it.

He's following Jack Kirby here. Appropriate, I think.

Gvzbgul on
    tumblr_og49icG69h1t1cmybo1_540.jpg

CyD6aBkXgAEB3C4.jpg:large

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    Sometimes I wish it could turn out that under all that armor and guns Cable is like a sixty pound asthmatic dork in a padded suit. He's like a complete inversion of Omac.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    CyD6aBkXgAEB3C4.jpg:large

How many USB ports does a gun actually need?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Always get one with more ports than you think you'll need, to allow for future expansion.

tumblr_napi2c1RJm1qhbhvxo1_540.jpg

Ramon Villalobos

• bardianbardian Registered User new member
    Wow, Manji it's so beautiful. I like your style. (I like every styles) :o

DGD-pdRXYAASWGq.jpg
    Moebius

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos