As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Shouldn't we talk about the weather?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

This may be a very small thing in the grand scheme of things. And I recognize that this is cheering for a corporation, and I know in my head and heart that that's dumb. But:

Sobey's is airing a new Star of Christmas commercial.

All of a sudden it feels like Christmas again.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    And in particular, students are usually living on a relatively tight budget, they can't deal with months of payroll issues

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    It is amusing to see the editorial bent of some papers. The article is pretty straightforward but the title is just meant to rile up people who won't even read it.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/federal-cannabis-task-force-green-lights-legal-sales-to-teenagers-1.4408976

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    It is amusing to see the editorial bent of some papers. The article is pretty straightforward but the title is just meant to rile up people who won't even read it.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/federal-cannabis-task-force-green-lights-legal-sales-to-teenagers-1.4408976

I basically had to read the title twice to figure out what was wrong with it.

I'm OK with the report. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Clickbait title much?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Disco11 wrote: »

Clickbait title much?

They are explicitly calling legalization for "people 18 and older" a "green light for teenagers". That's not clickbait. That's lying. Pure and simple.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

Clickbait title much?

They are explicitly calling legalization for "people 18 and older" a "green light for teenagers". That's not clickbait. That's lying. Pure and simple.

Let's be honest: it's both

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I guess technically it's not lying, as 18 contains the word teen. It's still a bold-faced misrepresentation though.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I guess technically it's not lying, as 18 contains the word teen. It's still a bold-faced misrepresentation though.

But at 18 you are considered an adult, legally.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Venn diagram of teenager and adult overlap to some small extent

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Oh completely, it's just the semantics of the word "eighteen". As an age containing the word teen, you could argue (as I'm assuming their going to claim) that 18 is a "teen-age".

They're fucksticks, I'm just playing devils advocate.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...

Oh completely, it's just the semantics of the word "eighteen". As an age containing the word teen, you could argue (as I'm assuming their going to claim) that 18 is a "teen-age".

Well thank the queen English didn't adopt French number names, because by that definition you'd be a "teen" right up until you hit 100 years old.

sig.gif

Well thank the queen English didn't adopt French number names, because by that definition you'd be a "teen" right up until you hit 100 years old.

Question: Do they have an equivalent term for teen in French? As in, the ambiguous age in question?

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

err, I expect you speak better French than me but can you explain? Seems like the "teens" would be associated with the "dix-" numbers, ending at dix-neuf.

Question: Do they have an equivalent term for teen in French? As in, the ambiguous age in question?

We only have "adolescent".

sig.gif
    BlazeFire wrote: »

err, I expect you speak better French than me but can you explain? Seems like the "teens" would be associated with the "dix-" numbers, ending at dix-neuf.

Right, except these "dix-" numbers come back in the 70s and 90s in French. Numbers 70 to 79 are "soixante-dix" to "soixante-dix-neuf", and 90 to 99 are "quatrevingt-dix" to "quatrevingt-dix-neuf". In English with French numbers you wouldn't be ninety-nine, you'd be four-twenty-nineteen.

sig.gif

Right, except these "dix-" numbers come back in the 70s and 90s in French. Numbers 70 to 79 are "soixante-dix" to "soixante-dix-neuf", and 90 to 99 are "quatrevingt-dix" to "quatrevingt-dix-neuf". In English with French numbers you wouldn't be ninety-nine, you'd be four-twenty-nineteen.

Dank.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Drrrrr. I didn't go far enough. :P

So I had no idea, but you actually have to ORDER your free 2017 Parks Canada Passes if you want them.

They're completely free (including shipping!) and you can order as many as you think you need, so everyone should definitely do that!

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    so the moral of the story is to not speak french ever?

calm down I'm kidding
    maybe

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I have been trying for the last few hours to figure out how to do a joke about how French men dont live to see 100 because they all die while trying to have an orgy with 4 20 year olds and a 19 year old when they hit 99.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I have been trying for the last few hours to figure out how to do a joke about how French men dont live to see 100 because they all die while trying to have an orgy with 4 20 year olds and a 19 year old when they hit 99.

Joke? This is Quebec's main cause of death.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

I explained to a colleague that my main thing I miss in the spring is going to a cabane a sucre.

Fried pork fat covered in maple syrup, ham in maple syrup, pea soup with ham and maple syrup, eggs with maple syrup...

and maple syrup in snow for desert of course with sugar pie sometimes.

He's surprised any of us make it to 40.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    so the moral of the story is to not speak french ever?

calm down I'm kidding
    maybe

PAMPLEMOUSSE!

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Pomme de terre.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Obviously the best choice is to go full Chiac and be almost incomprehensible to most anglophones and francophones.

Bruce%2012%2015%202016%20RGB.jpg

sig.gif
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the rundown of the divorce laws situation, duders. :+1:

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Obviously the best choice is to go full Chiac and be almost incomprehensible to most anglophones and francophones.

We tried that with Jean Chretien already.

It ended up with him strangling a protestor.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png

It didn't end with that. That was barely halfway through.

sig.gif
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

It didn't end with that. That was barely halfway through.

Yes, but as a punchy joke, it works best with that as a punchline. (Also, I was pretty young during all that, so my memory of the JC timeline is super foggy)

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Look, if you don't want to be strangled by the PM, don't cross the security perimeter. The bodyguards can only protect you if you cooperate with them.

mrondeau wrote: »
    Look, if you don't want to be strangled by the PM, don't cross the security perimeter. The bodyguards can only protect you if you cooperate with them.

I have to say, I love the idea that the PM's bodyguards and security perimeters are meant to protect protestors from the PM :lol:

sig.gif
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

I have to say, I love the idea that the PM's bodyguards and security perimeters are meant to protect protestors from the PM :lol:

That's why Trudeau is the most dangerous PM yet... He can infiltrate selfies at will! Nowhere with a camera is safe!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

A proof is a proof is a proof, if you have a good proof it's because it's a proven proof.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    https://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2016/12/15/ndp-mla-thomas-dang-table-bill-abolis-daylight-savings-time.html?platform=hootsuite

This could be the most important and best bill of the next year. I hate the time change so much.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

That's why Trudeau is the most dangerous PM yet... He can infiltrate selfies at will! Nowhere with a camera is safe!

SCP #: SCP-2841
    Object Class: [Pending]

Special Containment Procedures: Provisional Exclusion Zone-2841 has been established in a 3km radius around SCP-2841's current location. Limited effectiveness as subject continually moves through a pocket dimension of sorts, allowing subject to appear in 'selfie' photographs at will with the only known boundaries being those of the nation of Canada. Outside of those borders, subject appears to follow the laws of physics as normal.

Trace on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Canada's going to have to save the world itself, starting with the US's climate data.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Finally an area where Canada out innovated the USA politically, we were deleting government data long before them with the Long Gun Registry, and then ruining our Census Data.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.