As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - What Happens In The Evertomb

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - What Happens In The Evertomb

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Giancarlo MagnoGiancarlo Magno Registered User regular
    That hand is gonna be epic for heavy metal concerts.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Wait until Tycho finds out he wanted a sorcerer's stone.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The art on Tycho's hair in panel 2 looks really odd to me. Like it's hovering over his head. Or maybe the tumor is just lifting it up so much it can't cover his whole head. Still funny.

• tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Should have been a Diamond Dog

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    At least they didn't make a Schwarznegger or TurboMan joke here.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Sounds like the plot of an Uncharted game.

• CharlesMabeCharlesMabe Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade. It used to be about games. Now it's about the occult and eldritch abominations. 1/5-3/5 of the time. Ugh.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade. It used to be about games. Now it's about the occult and eldritch abominations. 1/5-3/5 of the time. Ugh.

It was never about "games." It has been and always will be a confluence of the jpgs Mike and Jerry want to make and the jpgs that fans want to consume.

In any case, I challenge you to go to the strip above and hit the back button. Your noticing of when it's not about the thing you want (teh gamez) is just confirmation bias.

• PonyPony Registered User regular

would you like to ask for a refund

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

It's doubled since the beginning. First ten comics in the archive, 1/10 not about video games.

214654977_saNrK-2100x20000.jpg

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Technically Penny Arcade always had occult stuff.

214584757_tSa5c-2100x20000.jpg

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Also, if anything I would say that Penny-Arcade is about "nerd culture." Yes, there is a lot of video game overlap. But Mike and Jerry are huge into roleplaying, tabletop, books, TV shows, and all sorts of nerdy stuff. And then they make comics about that stuff.

A strong Lovecraftian / Eldritch / Occult influence is just a part of the whole. Sometimes we get comics about vidja games. Sometimes we get comics about dark rituals.

edited December 2016
    If you would like a webcomic that is purely about gaming, please entertain yourself with the hilarious adventures of Leo and Aeris over at VGCats*
    *This is not a genuine suggestion, don't actually do this, please. I'm joking. Don't actually read VGCats.

Pony on
  • TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Translucia on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    That comment probably did not call for an entire page of outrage

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    what if gabe and tycho got sucked into their favorite videogame

KalTorak wrote: »
    what if gabe and tycho got sucked into their favorite videogame

more things need to have the premise of the classic Dungeons & Dragons cartoon

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Outrage, or an excellent opportunity to go through the archives?

What is this I don't even.
  • shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the middle panel written poorly? It feels like after all that the punchline should be No but I did it anyway because that's what a good father would do.

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Three Finger Tycho should become cannon...

For, y'know, posterity, of whatever...

Tube wrote: »

Outrage? I'd file mine under "mild bemusement" over someone being annoyed enough to (apparently repeatedly) gripe about such a thing. Like someone saying to Van Gogh, "Enough with all the dots. Remember when you used to do watercolors? And I'm tired of flowers. Draw me a picture of something else. And then give it to me for free."

It's just so weird. Along with the people who come in and feel everyone is as deeply interested in how Gabe isn't drawing the hair or the faces the way they would, if they had artistic talent and could be bothered to produce regular work.

It isn't outrage or even a tiny spark of anger. It's just smdh and wondering about human nature.

(Now you'll probably comment that your comment didn't call for an entire page of explanation. I'm not saying you'd be WRONG.)

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    This is because they have both been possessed by demons.

• OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    Whoa, I just noticed Gabe FINALLY started to draw his characters with five fingers like goddamn normal human beings. When did it start? I used to rant about those four fingered claws of his all the time back in the day.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    Whoa, I just noticed Gabe FINALLY started to draw his characters with five fingers like goddamn normal human beings. When did it start? I used to rant about those four fingered claws of his all the time back in the day.

Cartoon characters have a long tradition of not having 5 fingers. It think it's weirder to have 5 than 4.

OmegaDez wrote: »

Holy crap, you're right! It was such a major change that I never even noticed!

(Sorry folks, don't mean to come off as being so crabby. Again, I feel obliged to tag the emotion on this one. I'd label it as "gentle taunting.")

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I would like to disavow people of the notion that it's ok to be a douchebag when you're talking about the comics.

• EvilkumquatEvilkumquat Registered User new member
    I'm happy you didn't dumb down the strip by calling it a "Sorcerer's Stone".

Apples are good,
    Oranges are bad,
    Lemons are rude,
    Bananas are perverted,
    And kumquats are just, plain evil...
    www.evilkumquat.com
  • DirectorAlwynDirectorAlwyn Registered User new member
    I have a Cozmo, if you haven't found one yet. Originally got it to practice my coding in a cute way, but my work unexpectedly kicked into high-gear and I haven't had a chance to really do that, and likely won't for quite a while. Let me know if you're interested, I can certainly send it over.