As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait, they're coming back to Kickstarter?

Oh, that should make for an interesting comments section.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Forar is correct.

They botched the KS for Through the Breach. They're going to eat some shit, so it's up to them to make proper assurances

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What was the issue with their last Kickstarter? Delays, or something more serious?

Burnage on
    It was a year and a half late, I believe the real issue was they addressed it poorly. @Forar got burned more than most because he put in for the super deluxe Kickstarter package.

Now that said, their apology for cocking it up was them giving people loads of free kits and swag, but.

That aside, the finished product is great, and even has a vassal app for running a "board" which baller if you have a tablet.

edited December 2016
    No-Quarter pretty much covered it. To expand a little.

Yes, it was delayed. "Oh, lol, all Kickstarters are delayed", some will say. Except they never copped to actually being waaay behind. With the benefit of hindsight, they were updating targets for delivery that weren't remotely realistic, but purely about placating the community for another month or quarter before the new target date flew by. They were telling us it'd be done in month X when the beta test for the books hadn't even begun. That delivery would surely be in month Y, but the final volume hadn't even been sent to the printers by that point. That kind of thing.

So not only was it late, but they weren't being honest with us about the actual timeline, for whatever their reasoning.

They did indeed add a little swag to our shipments, I believe most people got an extra limited edition deck and a crew box, on top of the book(s) and other assorted figures. That was nice.

My discontent was both with the shoddy experience with the Kickstarter, and my friends deciding to lose their minds over the edition change (obviously they didn't have any control over that part), and them accusing my friends and I of leaking the beta documents because someone in the same province as us seemed to have access to them and started some shit on their forums. They later admitted it wasn't us, but I don't believe we got so much as an apology for the accusations and a thinly veiled threat of legal action against us (again, for something we didn't do).

It was a shitshow.

I ended up selling off almost all of what I received to recoup cash, and believe I ended up doing better than breaking even. I kept the limited edition hardcover of the book (though we've never played it), two of the LE fate decks (going to give one away to a friend this summer), and one of the 'build your own characters' sprue kits.

It's a shame. I enjoyed the game, still have some of the figures (I now use them for a game called Shadows of Brimstone), though I did give away and sell off a large portion of the collection, and I felt the new edition had some promise (bluffing with markers was a personal favourite of mine, along with the random scheme pool).

Forar on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    What I understand of the TTB kickstarter was essentially poor communication, bad management of the funds they got - they launched into developing M2E while developing TTB, and TTB itself had development woes. All of which resulted in a late product that wasn't well communicated. However, there is a significant difference from what I can see. TTB was essentially 'we have a neat idea for a Malifaux RPG. If this is funded we'll make it'. They had no product outside of ideas when it was being funded.

Now consider TOS. It's been in closed public testing for coming up a year now, which tells me the game itself has been in development for at least two years if it's already been in public testing for that long. They've been showing test prints for models since two gencons ago. Last gencon they showed what looked like a final unit card, and the new video shows them as well. THe video also shows a lot of finished renders. They've done a few products now in the material they intend to use.

Overall, this tells me they learned from the TTB kickstarter. They're not going in with an idea. They're going in with what will likely be the finished product. They've already been testing the material they plan to use, and they already have a lot, if not all, of the models designed and ready to go into production. The kickstarter feels it'll most likely be about funding the initial production run than the game itself. To add to that. Wyrd have been much better with communication over recent years, both official and unofficial communication.

I see where Forar is coming from, and a lot of people are going to give Wyrd a lot of flak, but they appear to have learned from the mistakes of TTB and look to be planning on running this kickstarter differently.

I think they'll do better with this too, but it's up to them to truly communicate that.

Exactly. Maybe they have learned, I hope they have. What ire I had is mostly past now.

But as I've seen on other sequel projects that hit some bumps along the way, the community is not always super forgiving. Off hand, I think they're going to need to meet that head on, and do all they can to showcase how this isn't going to be the same experience.

I'm not saying someone needs to fall on their sword, but there will probably be some $1 trolls along for the ride, and getting out ahead of that is better than playing catchup.

Oh, and holy shit, a shorter campaign. The last one was 45 days long, and the middle part with barely any movement was excruciating. 1 month max, duders.

Watching the video they showcase around 25 models and the cards to go with them (front and backs), which I think is pretty good argument for their side that they've got it together.

Trolls are gonna troll, but the game seems more or less "done".

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Trolls are gonna troll, but the game seems more or less "done".

Yeah, that was the point of my post. The games been in development for at least 2 years judging by the rules being in public testing for nearly a year now. They've shown final renders and master prints for a lot of models, and final art and card designs.

This is going to be less 'help fund the development of this game' and more 'pre order your stuff'.

That said, I've just had some urgent dental work come up, so it remains to be seen if I'll be able to back this.

-Loki- on
    At the FLGS playing an Infinity Slow Grow, I noticed they had Bandersntaches. Score! Opened it up, and it's only got the prospector, not the Bandersnatch. Booo!

Mention it to Wyrd and you'll likely get a free mini to compensate!

edited December 2016
    I'll be doing the online mispack form tonight.

Edit - Also some at my FLGS got an alt Nico and is selling it to me for $30. Yay!

-Loki- on
    Aaron put my mispack through on a Saturday. Wyrd wins customer service.

More information on The Other Side.

https://youtu.be/X7LnVQzyBmM

Also, if you've been curious about Through the Breach, Bundle of Holding have a deal right now. $15us gets you the Fated Almanac, Fatemasters Almanac and 4 Penny Dreadfuls (their version of little 1 off predone adventures). $28.59us also gets you Into the Steam (the Arcanists expansion), Under Quarantine (the Resserectionists expansion), Northern Aggression and A Night in Rottenberg (full campaigns).

They're all DRM free PDFs, so you can share them around as well. Pretty tremendous value there.

Huh, that video looks pretty cool, and pre-built figures? Nice.

No way in hell I'd pick it up. After Malifaux died in my group and Robotech Tactics was stillborn, I'm not falling into that trap again.

But good for them.

Well yeah, having a group predisposed to dislike the companies products probably creates a negative atmosphere for trying to promote them.

Personally, the Malifaux group in my FLGS is super excited. But I've got the sort of Malifaux community where 2 people dropped $600us on gen con.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd really like for it to be good and pick up steam. The only other games at that army scale are, at best, a hot mess (Warmachine) and, at worst, Age of Sigmar.

There really is a hole in the market for a solid small-army-scale miniatures game.

admanb wrote: »
    I'd really like for it to be good and pick up steam. The only other games at that army scale are, at best, a hot mess (Warmachine) and, at worst, Age of Sigmar.

There really is a hole in the market for a solid small-army-scale miniatures game.

There's also Warpath.

• SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Eh, with Blood Bowl coming on pretty strong with my group, and Malifaux slowly dying out, I don't think I can back this one.
    Hope it goes well though

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    This might actually get me back in. (I play AoS too, but it's not the same.)

It's that or the 40k arms-race all over again. *looks wistfully at his Thousand Sons army sitting in a box*

That 3d mockup they showed in the preview was pretty snazzy.

Also, 45 models to a side is great when you can slot slot most of your units onto 3-man bases. That's maybe about 15ish actualy bases you need to move around? Sign me up for some of that please.

I'm (probably) in on the Kickstarter, but that's mainly because the Cult look like they'd make for fantastic proxy models for other games that I'm interested in playing. Even if The Other Side itself sputters and dies I'm going to get some use out of them.

I don't see The Other Side failing, though it might take a while to catch on. As said, there's a bit of a hole in the market for small army sized games. They've done their research, especially when it comes to the models. They know from the few they've done that players like them - Aionus and the Tortoise and Hare set apparently fly off shelves.

Eh. I hope it does succeed, but normally when there's a hole in a market you can't name multiple pre-existing products which already fill that hole.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Immediately picked up the massive Through the Breach bundle for that price. Good reading material even if a game never happens, though I like how it seems to include a good number of one-shots with pre-gen characters.

The Other Side... Good luck to them but I'm firmly sworn off army sized minis games at this stage in my life. I don't have the time or room for them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Burnage wrote: »
    Eh. I hope it does succeed, but normally when there's a hole in a market you can't name multiple pre-existing products which already fill that hole.

The thing is, they don't fill it for various reasons for some people. I mentioned Warpath for posterity. It's there, but it's not exactly doing much. In my experience, people play Warmachine in bigger games than what TOS is aiming for. The games I see at my FLGS rival large 40k games. Age of Sigmar, well, there's reasons people avoid that, and they haven't exactly built that good will back up. Even when I see it played, people go for enormous games. The one I saw at my FLGS while playing in our Infinity league had a 6x4 table choked full with units and monsters.

Knowing Wyrd, when they say it's built for about 45 models per side, that's what there's going to be. I mean, people can, and do, play bigger games of Malifaux than 50ss, but it's far from the norm and no events do it. I'd expect TOS to be likewise geared for a certain sized game, and if they're saying 45 models per side, that's a good indicator.

edited December 2016
    The Other Side... Good luck to them but I'm firmly sworn off army sized minis games at this stage in my life. I don't have the time or room for them.

Yeah, the 6x4 table with what appears to be fairly massive terrain stock in mind would probably rule itself out in my apartment even if I was interested in going gangbusters.

I'm sure it will fund. Cut people even a little deal to get in on the ground floor, offer up a few limited edition figures like they did with Through the Breach, and it'll draw people in to at least clear the first hurdle.

Doesn't mean it'll go to seven figures and beyond, but unless their initial target is like half a million+ or their shipping chart basically just says "Here Be Dragons" with dollar signs for eyes, I can't see it failing to fund, just based on what I've seen of them over the years.

Edit: apparently the Kickstarter launches on December 14th, in case anyone didn't know.

Seriously guys, 1 month. Don't put the backers through another 6 week campaign.

Forar on
    Well, the Kickstarter's live now, and it's already nearly funded.

Actually thinking I might sit it out, because none of the miniatures revealed catch my attention and a minimum of $200 for two players is a bit higher than I was expecting.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also they made it go for 37 days. :lol:

I don't mind a slightly longer campaign when it's a Christmas kickstarter. An extra week to get money together after the silly season is apprectiated.

I'll be backing for a Commander level for Gibbering Hordes. My brother has already pledged for a Commander level for Kings Empire plus an extra Allegiance set for his son for Burning Man. Something interesting on the page - they are going to offer the models unbuilt through their webstore since they know some people don't like pre-built. They won't hit retail, but the option will be there.

I likely won't do any add ons. The savings are basically what I'd get at my FLGS anyway.

Money is super tight for me right now, if they put the rules up so I can read what things do it'll be easier.

Maybe I'll just wait till the book and some of the other models come out.

edited December 2016
    My only real concern is the price of the Titans. $50us for a squad with fireteam bases and cards I can accept. $90us for a Titan? Ummm. Yeah. I certainly hope they're the TOS equivalent of Rare 1 for that price so we don't have a pay to win arms race with Titans happen. Allegiance sets seem really well priced. $125 for 3 squads, a commander, a fate deck and all the tokens needed.

-Loki- on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    If they are anything like Colossals or Gargantuans in WarmaHordes, there's nothing to worry about. Often they aren't as powerful as their equivalent points in troops.

edited December 2016
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    If they are anything like Colossals or Gargantuans in WarmaHordes, there's nothing to worry about. Often they aren't as powerful as their equivalent points in troops.

The gameplay video cerainly shows that individual models have a clear disadvantage in that everything only has 1 wound. So a Titan needs to only take 1 damage to be potentially killed, though they can pass that damage off to Asset upgrades, effectively slowly grinding them down getting weaker and weaker until they die. Which is pretty cool. The Kings Hand looks pretty absurdly powerful though, killing the Gibbering Hordes Commander and some of a squad before being pummelled in return by the Alpha Stalker. Commanders have the same fragility, but have a 'look out, sir' type ability where they can pass the wound off to a nearby fireteam.

I'm keen to see more. People have requested a full game playthrough video, which I think would really help sell the game.

-Loki- on
    I wanna see the Burning Man and Abyssinia play.

edited December 2016
    In other news, my Bayou table is nearly done. I just need to paint the crates. After this, I'm grabbing the new Plastcraft ColourED city buildings and a cobblestone street mat for them to give me two tables.

Though, I was thinking this table could use one more large peice, though I'm not sure what.

844417_sm-.JPG

-Loki- on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    You could maybe slap a rock monolith/signpost there at the crossroads.

Would add a little blocking los and be a flavorful place to add some funny location text

Table looks good, but you need more cover

A Guild gunline, especially with Perdita would eat anyone alive on that table

edited December 2016
    I faced a Lucius gun line with less terrain and didn't do too bad. Would you recommend more scatter terrain like walls/rocks/crates or another big peice like another building?

Not sure if you could see them but those grey lines are log walls.

-Loki- on
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Try it out and see.

The high vantage points are the kind of thing that would destroy me versus my normal opponent. But then, I have PTSD from fighting his Gremlins.