As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Titanfall]

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Or just being able to see grunts while there's a ton of smoke obscuring people's view after the drop pods impact.
    Threat Scope is good for that, too. Highlights enemies when in the scope's vision.

I just fire blind into the smoke (maybe toss in the odd grenade) and hope I hit something; this strategy is also what I use when it comes to me trying to hit enemy pilots.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    attrition to me is like a simpler bounty hunt mode

Its similar but more deathmatchy since it strips out the banking and the discreet ai spawn waves. So yea basically you're right heh.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    squall99x wrote: »
    I wish I was having more fun with this game, but I don't think I've won a single match in hours of playing this online and it's the most fucking frustrating thing in the world

ed: it also doesn't help that in my region Attrition is literally the only thing that anyone plays and if I try and matchmake anything else it tells me that there are 0 players playing that mode. They weren't well-populated to begin with so it was dead on arrival, really

Are you playing on console or PC? I was reading on neogaf the other day and if you listen to most of them there are 3 people playing the game in the entirety. Then I noticed most of them are on PC (and some in regions that aren't US/Western Europe) which seems like a double punch to the amount of people playing. Consoles seem very healthy? I never wait more than the wait time between matches and maybe 5-10 seconds in pretty much any mode I play (Which is pretty much anything other than strict CTF and Amped).

Edit- Which leaves me to believe that the PC crowd is either too entrenched into games they have been playing forever (CSGO) or are fragmented across too many games in general.
    My theory is that there are just way too many games available on PC, so trying to capture their attention is like asking my 5 year old to focus on the letters of a word and work with me. PC gamers jump into something, play it for about a month, and then they're off to bigger and better things. Systems like Steam have so many damn games available and so many sales that it's so very easy to bail and go somewhere else for fun.

The same thing happened to the first TF and I hated it; such a great game shouldn't die off that quickly. After that, I swore off of buying games like this for PC and only purchase them for console, because console gamers typically continue playing the games for a longer time.

My theory is along the same lines: that PC Gamers are more likely to be hard core gamers. They bought/built a PC specifically to play games at a high standard of fidelity. That means on average they're probably going to buy more games, and play each of those games less often.

Consoles attract a more casual crowd that are probably going to buy less games, therefore they spend significantly more time playing one specific game's multiplayer.

The spectrum of games I can play on my PC, and more importantly, buy for pennies via steam is staggering compared to my current PS4 library. On my shelf I have Destiny, Witcher 3, Borderlands collection, Titanfall 2 and Far Cry 4&5. Half of those titles here in Canada cost me $80 and the others I got for half that because they were on sale.

I don't want to admit how many games I have with <1 hour of playtime sitting in Steam right now, but the last time there was a steam sale and I spent $80 I think I walked away with 6 titles that I could easily sink 10-20 hours into. There are far more games available on PC at far better prices. Unless EA and other companies jump on the bandwagon with Steam style pricing at some point, it's going to be hard for Console AAA titles to compete for players time on PC.

(All of this with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion and I've got a lot of those :wink:)

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    attrition to me is like a simpler bounty hunt mode
    In regards to rules, I'd agree. But for those of us that suck at Pilot-vs-Pilot, Bounty Hunt is a fucking dream come true. It's almost like the yoots don't understand how to play an objective, but they'll kill your ass 30 times and teabag you 25 of those times. I get my revenge in Bounty Hunt.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Or just being able to see grunts while there's a ton of smoke obscuring people's view after the drop pods impact.
    Threat Scope is good for that, too. Highlights enemies when in the scope's vision.

I just fire blind into the smoke (maybe toss in the odd grenade) and hope I hit something; this strategy is also what I use when it comes to me trying to hit enemy pilots.
    Another thing I find good is a satchel charge on the ground of the side of the pod where the door falls off as soon as it hits the ground. Toss it, turn, run away, 2 second after tossing it, set it off. BOOM! 4 kills. Do it to the next pod, and the turret is 1 kill away for setting in the middle to unleash on everyone else.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Khraul wrote: »
    I wish I was having more fun with this game, but I don't think I've won a single match in hours of playing this online and it's the most fucking frustrating thing in the world

ed: it also doesn't help that in my region Attrition is literally the only thing that anyone plays and if I try and matchmake anything else it tells me that there are 0 players playing that mode. They weren't well-populated to begin with so it was dead on arrival, really

Are you playing on console or PC? I was reading on neogaf the other day and if you listen to most of them there are 3 people playing the game in the entirety. Then I noticed most of them are on PC (and some in regions that aren't US/Western Europe) which seems like a double punch to the amount of people playing. Consoles seem very healthy? I never wait more than the wait time between matches and maybe 5-10 seconds in pretty much any mode I play (Which is pretty much anything other than strict CTF and Amped).

Edit- Which leaves me to believe that the PC crowd is either too entrenched into games they have been playing forever (CSGO) or are fragmented across too many games in general.
    My theory is that there are just way too many games available on PC, so trying to capture their attention is like asking my 5 year old to focus on the letters of a word and work with me. PC gamers jump into something, play it for about a month, and then they're off to bigger and better things. Systems like Steam have so many damn games available and so many sales that it's so very easy to bail and go somewhere else for fun.

The same thing happened to the first TF and I hated it; such a great game shouldn't die off that quickly. After that, I swore off of buying games like this for PC and only purchase them for console, because console gamers typically continue playing the games for a longer time.

My theory is along the same lines: that PC Gamers are more likely to be hard core gamers. They bought/built a PC specifically to play games at a high standard of fidelity. That means on average they're probably going to buy more games, and play each of those games less often.

Consoles attract a more casual crowd that are probably going to buy less games, therefore they spend significantly more time playing one specific game's multiplayer.

The spectrum of games I can play on my PC, and more importantly, buy for pennies via steam is staggering compared to my current PS4 library. On my shelf I have Destiny, Witcher 3, Borderlands collection, Titanfall 2 and Far Cry 4&5. Half of those titles here in Canada cost me $80 and the others I got for half that because they were on sale.

I don't want to admit how many games I have with <1 hour of playtime sitting in Steam right now, but the last time there was a steam sale and I spent $80 I think I walked away with 6 titles that I could easily sink 10-20 hours into. There are far more games available on PC at far better prices. Unless EA and other companies jump on the bandwagon with Steam style pricing at some point, it's going to be hard for Console AAA titles to compete for players time on PC.

(All of this with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion and I've got a lot of those :wink:)

I agree, I just think that the issues finding a playerbase on pc has dominated a lot of the narrative in regards to the health of the MP of the game and making it sound like it tanked, when in reality it just underperformed due to being wedged between Battlefield and CoD. Which could have other nefarious reasons behind it...

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Speaking of lacking playerbase, I'm also finding a lack of matchmaking.

6 consecutive losses with me middle to top score on my team. All of them complete steamrolls (5k-1300 bounty match just now).

Can't buy a win right now.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    when in reality it just underperformed due to being wedged between Battlefield and CoD. Which could have other nefarious reasons behind it...
    ...because EA wants you to go fuck yourself. Thanks, EA.

6 consecutive losses with me middle to top score on my team. All of them complete steamrolls (5k-1300 bounty match just now).

Is this on the PS4? Must have just missed you then as I just did 2 games with awwatt which we won and I didn't see you online.

I'm currently on the floor of my daughters bedroom waiting for her to go to sleep. This is apparently the routine (that nobody else does if I'm not around to put her to bed).

PSN Fleety2009

Is this on the PS4? Must have just missed you then as I just did 2 games with awwatt which we won and I didn't see you online.

I'm currently on the floor of my daughters bedroom waiting for her to go to sleep. This is apparently the routine (that nobody else does if I'm not around to put her to bed).

There is some weird stuff with the networks where people aren't/weren't showing up. At least it was like that for me a few days ago.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    The electric smoke grenade was made for Bounty Hunt. Pod lands, toss grenade. Run to cover, but not so far that you can't hear the staggered "rghrghrghghr" as N grunts are bug-zapped still in their pod. Collect bounty. Get headshot from one of the map's moons by a 12-year-old with a G2 immediately, just in case you were feeling good about your bankroll. Rinse. Repeat.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    Do we have an incoming new thread? I always get nervous around page 99...

oHqYBTXm.jpg

Yeah, I think I saw you online after I gave up.

Made it up today though. PA steamroller was in effect.

Capture the flag is a rubbish game mode thought.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihEhsdwiIk

Out of nowhere Respawn has patched Titanfall 2. Gone are the issues with server instability, DDOS and cheaters and now... the players are returning.

Player counts on steam alone have hit peaks of nearly 23k.

I managed to get into my first CTF game in what... 5 years?

There really isn't a game like it out there, it's still so much fun.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Nature is healing

Armored Core 6 owns bones and Titanfall 2 is returning

Giant stompy robots are back, baby!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Well this got me to install it after grabbing it for $4 the other day. I was going to try it after beating another FPS, but I’m always on the lookout for a multiplayer FPS.

-Loki- on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well this got me to install it after grabbing it for $4 the other day. I was going to try it after beating another FPS, but I’m always on the lookout for a multiplayer FPS.

Do yourself a giant favor and carve out a day to enjoy the single player. It is incredibly worth it.

Got into some Attrition matches tonight. Felt good. Felt great. Felt right. Lot of fans coming back, too. Castle Superbeast owners and noted giant robot fans Pat and Woolie both had streams that were just about gathering large groups to play TF2 multi and having a blast.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedShinyPrariedogAllenHuhu-BqCC13iVq5e17q0Z

Keep in mind this is Reggie's first time watching Titanfall 2 be played. The hype is a tangible force.

ygPIJ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Okay the intro is fucking badass and I immediately want more of this setting.

edit - this game is seven years old? Some of the effects are a bit dated but overall it's a real good looking game. And this movement set, holy shit. Guns feel great to shoot. How did this game not take off in a big way?

-Loki- on
    It got released between whatever the Modern Warfare and Battlefield were that year.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Basically fucking nothing for promoting it either. EA sent it out to die for some insane reason.

Wanna know something even more wild? The game is made on the fucking Source engine and still looks this good.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2023
    Played some more of the campaign and it's so fucking good.

Both dismounted and mech combat are different but feel fantastic.

And yeah I knew it was the source engine. It's a real good engine - well optimised as well like id's engines. More games should use it.

edit - okay I jumped into multiplayer and this is what I want. An active arena shooter! With big robots! Holy shit why did I not get into this game when it released.

-Loki- on
    Played some more of the campaign and it's so fucking good.

Both dismounted and mech combat are different but feel fantastic.

And yeah I knew it was the source engine. It's a real good engine - well optimised as well like id's engines. More games should use it.

edit - okay I jumped into multiplayer and this is what I want. An active arena shooter! With big robots! Holy shit why did I not get into this game when it released.

Hey, you got in the robot eventually, and that's what counts.

ygPIJ.gif
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Basically fucking nothing for promoting it either. EA sent it out to die for some insane reason.

Wanna know something even more wild? The game is made on the fucking Source engine and still looks this good.
    Well y'know, not quite the source engine. An engine that at one point in time was the source engine but has been heavily modified over the years.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

From what I've heard from interviews Respawn leadership is halfway responsible for some of the boneheaded decisions. Cocky enough to think yeah this release window is good. We can totally pull this off our game is that good.

Similar story to when they released Apex to basically no media, no teasing, nothing. A genre that was starting to sputter out and be seen as a saturated market.

VRXwDW7.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Similar story to when they released Apex to basically no media, no teasing, nothing. A genre that was starting to sputter out and be seen as a saturated market.
    I think the Apex thing was actually smart. There were rumors of the game well before it was announced, and lots of Titanfall fans were pretty unhappy with the idea of a Titanfall Battle Royale with no Titans and no parkour. The rumors took a while to gain traction, but as they did you could see that dissatisfaction grow with it. I don't know if this has ever been confirmed, but as I understand they released the game earlier than planned before that dissatisfaction could gain enough steam to make it hard to get good word of mouth.

It wasn't ideal, obviously, but I think they made the best of a bad situation.

cB557 on
    edited September 2023
    Actually, they kept Apex secret because of the 3v3 teams and the ping system. Because this weird thing would happen where a new battle royale game would get announced, get some promotion, show off some new-to-the-genre tech or feature, and then mysteriously Fortnite would have that exact tech or feature before the new competitor ever released.

So how do you keep Epic Games and their small army working in the Fortnite mines from wholesale eating your features and hype before launch? Surprise release the game before they can crib your ideas.

But I haven't played Apex in years, and I don't have to because anyway here's Titanfall.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    edited September 2023
    cB557 wrote: »

Well y'know, not quite the source engine. An engine that at one point in time was the source engine but has been heavily modified over the years.

Kinda how goldsrc was the Quake 1 engine. Kinda. Sorta. If you squinted and looked at it crosseyed.

-Loki- on
    Having played Apex, I will say I miss the ping system and that I involuntarily hit the ping button while playing TF2.

Mostly when I’m a Titan against other titans.

And it’s probably a bit of muscle memory.

PSN Fleety2009
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I will hold a a dwarven-esque grudge with EA for the release window of TF2. This game should have been the greatest e-sport of all time.

Also, as sad as it is, I figure that the spike in numbers is only going to be temporary. So I'm getting as much game time in as I can, but am having an absolute blast.

The current ??? game mode is utterly bonkers. EPGs only and close quarters maps. Definitely good for getting your wall running legs under you again. Since if you touch the floor for mor than a hop, then you tend to get sploded with alacrity.

Campy on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I hope a possible Titanfall 3 strikes a balance between TF1 and TF2 multiplayer design.

I much prefer the fully customizeable titans from TF1 as well as the larger focus on the AI enemies during matches. I loved topping the scoreboard fighting the AI, with the occasional pilot v pilot skirmish. TF2 puts pilot v pilot front-and-center in the design.

I fully completed TF1. Generation 10, every achievement. TF2 I don't think I even prestiged once.

Campy wrote: »
    Also, as sad as it is, I figure that the spike in numbers is only going to be temporary. So I'm getting as much game time in as I can, but am having an absolute blast.

There's not a whole lot of competition for it. There's no real popular arena deathmatch shooters around, so while it may drop from where it is now, I don't think it'll die completely.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

There's not a whole lot of competition for it. There's no real popular arena deathmatch shooters around, so while it may drop from where it is now, I don't think it'll die completely.

Well…except for the annual launch of Call of Duty…

Or is Call of Duty (not Warzone, mind you) not popular anymore?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    CoD is not an arena shooter.
    Titanfall isn't really either, other than its movement and speed.

Crippl3 on
    I’d have carried on playing TF2 to date had it not been rendered unplayable.

I played 6 games last night; I can’t remember how many I won I just know I had fun.

I entered one game in dead man shoes and still enjoyed it (the message popped up at the end saying the loss wouldn’t count); I like to think I have the other team that was miles ahead a bit of a scare.

I’ve not played any arena CoD in aaaaages. You see streamers play it and it looks like garbage to me. Small maps, being shot from every angle, dying not long after spawning, the unlock system; no thanks.

PSN Fleety2009
    I’ll be honest I forgot CoD had multiplayer outside of Warzone.

Crippl3 wrote: »
    CoD is not an arena shooter.
    Titanfall isn't really either, other than its movement and speed.

Huh…now I’m curious what you mean by “arena shooter.” I was thinking something like Unreal Tournament, Halo, GoldenEye, Timesplitters, and Call of Duty…but if I was mistaken, I’d like to know what we’re talking about…

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Yeah those are the games I meant by arena shooters.

Small map, respawning on death, limited objectives (eg CTF).

I think Titanfall fits there. So does CoD now that I remember it.

Amusing that you didn’t put Quake in that list.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Arena shooters typically emphasize map control through having weapons on the map (so not pre-made loadouts), health and resource pickups, powerups on the map, a focus on projectile weapons like rockets (as opposed to instant-hit hitscan weapons like Titanfall's assault rifles and SMGs), and advanced movement techniques. Players are on an equal playing field at the start of a match in terms of health/weapons/abilities but it's up to their skill and knowledge to get an advantage on others through controlling weapons and resources.
    Titanfall has advanced movement in terms of wall-running, grapple hook techniques, wall bouncing, etc. but it doesn't do the other stuff. It doesn't fit the accepted criteria for an Arena FPS.

Like @Erlkönig said, arena shooters are games such as Quake, Unreal Tournament, and Halo. Titanfall and CoD aren't like those. The Colosseum mode in 2 is closer, with its pre-set equal loadouts.

I'm not saying Titanfall is bad or anything, it's just not an arena shooter.

Crippl3 on
    I gotcha now. To be honest, I forgot about the whole weapon/ammo pickup aspect of the arena shooters of old (and I never really played Quake…I played the first two but then I had to make a choice as a poor college student on which two FPS games to pick up: Tribes, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3…Tribes and UT won out).

But yeah, with Titanfall 2, I never really played Attrition (or any PvP modes)…I tended to stick to Frontier Defense. I do kinda hope that this influx of players means I can expect to see a higher quality of PuG teammate compared to what I’d see in the before-times…