As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come post pictures of your [Gunpla] & other scale models in this thread

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    ...Fuck now I want that Transient.

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Shiiiit, my local hobby store has Transient Glacier in. Shiiiit.....

FWIW check reviews and see for yourself first. It's still a HG, the stickers aren't as shiny which dulls the sparkly bits, and it needs a stand (which it comes with) to look cool.

Whoops...

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    If you or anyone else has bought it, don't let what those reviews say put you off!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    If you or anyone else has bought it, don't let what those reviews say put you off!

Yeah.

Let the PICTURES unsell you on the Transient Glacier and its ridiculously tiny feet, goofy and jagged transparent parts, and weird spears!

• HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Send help I think I'm in love.

3CLB6Wv.jpg

I didn't even know it came with the funnels when I bought it!

Hello there beautiful. Who might you be?

Send help I think I'm in love.

3CLB6Wv.jpg

I didn't even know it came with the funnels when I bought it!

Hello there beautiful. Who might you be?

Pretty sure that's the AGE-FX Burst, I think it's available at your store?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hey so this is a bit random but I'm looking for a recommendation for a Master Grade Gundam Wing kit for a huge Wing fan.

I've never assembled Gunpla before but I've assembled a ton of miniatures for tabletop games so I shouldn't really have trouble with difficult builds.

Any thoughts?

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Are there any super industrial gundams

Just borderline forklifts with guns

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Are there any super industrial gundams

Just borderline forklifts with guns

Yep! The Mobile Worker from Origins.

It's pretty recent, and pretty good. You can swap the arms with the Gouf and the Waff.
    admanb wrote: »
    Hey so this is a bit random but I'm looking for a recommendation for a Master Grade Gundam Wing kit for a huge Wing fan.

I've never assembled Gunpla before but I've assembled a ton of miniatures for tabletop games so I shouldn't really have trouble with difficult builds.

Any thoughts?

You got options. The main Gundams, Epyon, and the Tallgeese all got new MGs a couple years back. Just get his favorite. Should work out fine.

chiasaur11 on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    So, while I work on my next kit (RX-93 Nu Gundam), I had a thought.. are there any good providers of spaceship models (aside from Star Wars I guess)? Japan's had some pretty neat designs come out of anime, and I wouldn't mind something cool looking to have on a shelf.

Bandai also has a bunch of Space Battleship Yamato kits, and Hasegawa made a bunch of Leiji Matsumoto's stuff.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Any thoughts?

Epyon ver EW! https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Gundam-Epyon-Master-Grade/dp/B004UILW6E

ulEAcA4.jpg

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh lord that's cool. Maybe I don't have a friend after all.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    71DOK3cUUsL._SL1500_.jpg

What is this zoid ass gundam

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited December 2016
    71DOK3cUUsL._SL1500_.jpg

What is this zoid ass gundam

A BuCUE from SEED, I think.

We don't like to talk about SEED. (except Stargazer.)

Edit: Apparently I was wrong. It's a LaGOWE.

SEED has some pretty awful backronyms.

chiasaur11 on
  • KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Covering a few items here:

I pretty much buy everything from HLJ, Zoids included. To be fair, I get all my stuff shipped every 60 days to combine the EMS (or sometimes FedEx) shipping costs so it's not a big deal. However if you only want one or two things, Amazon or Ebay is the way to go. That said, Zoids aren't as popular as Gunpla and as noted above aren't in Western circulation as much (despite Kotobukiya having a US office). The best advice is pretty much to look up the kit on HLJ to see what it costs in Japan and how much it would cost to ship it and then just compare to US sellers.

Regarding the Wardick's name, in the English version it's called Warshark. Wonder why... For that matter, there's always the wonderfully named Berserk Fuhrer. Oof. In the West it was renamed Berserk Fury, which really is a better name tbh.

For spaceship models, I agree on the above about ships from Space Battleship Yamato. I have every kit from the original series of models from the 70's and 80's, and the new models and can attest to how great both versions are. The old kits aren't as detailed, but they go together well and are generally super cheap as long as you don't get a collector seller.

Agree on the Hasegawa Harlock kits. They're great, as are the kits from Bodacious Space Pirates.

Maybe you'd like to have the good old Macross? Hasegawa has you covered there too. She's even available in Storm Attacker (robot) mode. Once again, you have to glue and paint Hasegawa kits, but they're engineered beautifully, go together easily and look fantastic when done.

Bandai's Ex Model line has a bunch of ships from Gundam. White Base, Argama, Albion, Archangel, etc. As with Hasegawa, these kits require glue and paint, despite being Bandai. But they're easy to build and being more "serious" models, have a higher level of detail than Bandai's usual stuff. As with Yamato, I have every kit in this series and can attest to their quality.

There are a lot of great old space ship models from classic anime. Idion kits from Aoshima (some of my favorites), Crusher Joe, Lensman, etc. Glue and paint are your friends.

Getting back to Zoids for a moment, I used to be super heavy into Zoids fandom and customizing (my first custom was a Warshark in fact). I was even working on a pretty involved web comic that was gonna kind of do for the two Zoids TV series at the time (CC and NC) what 0083 did for 0079 and Zeta by filling in some blanks. I never got around to finishing it, but like in the Zoids TV shows, my Zoids were all modeled and rendered by myself in toon CG. This doesn't seem like such a big deal nowadays, but back in 2001, this stuff was pretty hardcore. lol The page here depicts testing trials of a Gun Sniper variant in wargames against captured Molgas.
    zoids_com_page_10_by_bang_doll_ssi-d387nzl.jpg

Kongo on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I used to love those zoids kits that you built around the motorised centrepiece.

Used to get the from toy shops, not even hobby ones

• KongoKongo Registered User regular
    Yeah, the original Zoids were made by Tomy, a company that has been in Western markets a long time. I even saw a couple smaller Zoids pop up in drug stores here and there.

Building Transient Glacier- wait! Bilingual instructions?!? Hallelujah!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I find Zoids story confusing at best
    But then when I found the custom options for them in Japan in the 2nd time we stopped there I was in awe of what you could do

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    beep boop wrong thread

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    edited December 2016

Welcome to the bold new world. All Gunpla instructions are bilingual now. Started with IBO season 2 kits, in part (as far as I can tell) due to the fact IBO massively boosted US Gunpla sales. Seems likely to continue for the forseeable.

Looking forward to the GM Sniper II even more with that in mind. First 0080 kit with a US translated manual!

chiasaur11 on

So...how badly did we screw up our own interpretations of the Japanese-only instructions...?

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I only ever watched the original Zoids with the shield liger when I was younger, but browsing Gundam kits brought me to the Kotobukiya Liger Zero and it's armour kits and now I want it all.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Zoids New Century was Best Zoids

I bought this one
    14.jpg

It's still in the box as I really don't have the heart to do anything with it anymore

So...how badly did we screw up our own interpretations of the Japanese-only instructions...?

We didn't, actually. :)

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I bought this one
    14.jpg

It's still in the box as I really don't have the heart to do anything with it anymore

I'm not sure why this kit has an adorable little shopping basket, but I love it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    @admanb I have assembled damn near all the Gundam Wing kits, I am your guy! :D

"EW Ver" is the brand you're looking for - the hero Gundams, Tallgeese and Epyon have all been released under this banner. They're basically the original Gundam Wing suits redesigned to look more like the progenitors of the versions found in Endless Waltz. All done by Katoki, so they're essentially Ver Ka's.

They all share a nearly identical internal skeleton, so if you plan on building more than one I advise spacing them out so they don't feel samey.

If you prefer using waterslides, each kit except for the Tallgeese got an official set released separately.

If you wanted the main Wing Gundam, be warned that the "EW Ver" of that is a very deceptive kit! It was released in 2011, around the same time as these others, but it is not a modern MG kit. It's just a recolour of the old 2004 Wing Gundam Ver Ka. It looks nice, but has some glaring design flaws, like not being able to hold it's rifle... To get a Wing Gundam that's up to the same build standards as the rest, go for either the Wing TV Ver or the Wing Proto Zero EW Ver

As for recommendations, my personal favourite is the Heavyarms EW Ver! Tallgeese and Epyon are both excellent too. And although I'm not a big fan of the Shenlong's design, I had a lot of fun building it. Something about Shenlong was just... satisfying.

Here are m'boys!

f646BCCl.jpg

kB2mtH6l.jpg

Oh brilliant
    I bought this one
    14.jpg

I'm not sure why this kit has an adorable little shopping basket, but I love it.

From the zoids New Century cartoon Leena took her Gun sniper shopping

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    What is the name of that glorious shopping boy?

Leena's Gun sniper?

Oh. I didn't realize that's the actual name.

From the box it's
    1/72 Scale ZOIDS HMM Highend Master Model Gun Sniper Leena Special

To be fair, I never knew anything about Zoids.

But loaded-for-bore mecha raptor who goes shopping has me intrigued.

The Gunsniper is normally just a raptor bot with a couple of guns attached.

However in Zoids New Century, since they're used for tournaments you see a lot of custom ones. So when given the chance to get a better Zoid, Leena the pilot just attached EVERY gun imaginable to hers.

New Century is Good

• see317see317 Registered User regular

However in Zoids New Century, since they're used for tournaments you see a lot of custom ones. So when given the chance to get a better Zoid, Leena the pilot just attached EVERY gun imaginable to hers.

New Century is Good

It's been awhile since I've watched any Zoids show, but isn't the tail of the Gun Sniper the actual sniping weapon? I could swear I remember seeing the thing point it's tail at someone, then a targeting site dropped into the cockpit to allow for more accurate fire...
    But, as I said, it's been awhile.

• InxInx Registered User regular
    I find Zoids story confusing at best
    But then when I found the custom options for them in Japan in the 2nd time we stopped there I was in awe of what you could do

c...custom options?

Ohhh this rabbit hole goes deeper than I thought....and I'll be in Japan next March....

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Eyeing a Mechatro WeGo kit. I've seen the boxes at my HobbyTown and never gave it a thought, but when I was in Japan, several stores had them assembled and in funny poses and with other kits/figures, and I kind of really want one now? Was considering one of the 1/35 two-packs, but I think I want the added detail of the 1/20.

Has anyone built one before?

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

New Century is Good

It's been awhile since I've watched any Zoids show, but isn't the tail of the Gun Sniper the actual sniping weapon? I could swear I remember seeing the thing point it's tail at someone, then a targeting site dropped into the cockpit to allow for more accurate fire...
    But, as I said, it's been awhile.

Yeah, I remember the tail straightening out and I think the pilot goes into a lying position to shoot.

Damn now I want to watch zoids again.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I bought this one
    14.jpg

I feel like that could be a really awesome gunpla model if only it had a bunch more guns on it.

This discussion has been closed.