As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

apologies in advance [chat]

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Sometimes in Ottawa it is literally colder than it is on Mars.

Last year we had -50 C for a couple days.

Just the silent screaming hate of the infinite void closing on my city

Ottawa is a testament to man's arrogance

Nova_C

Totes adorbz

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cambiata wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    I also don't quite see the connection to demisexuality or the pace of initial dating.

Well, demisexuality, as I understand it, means not being able to be attracted to someone until you know their personality. Whether that's what demisexuality actually is or not I can't say, but that is how I am. Just seeing a dating profile of someone, or meeting someone at a party, I don't know if I'm attracted to them or not. So I might want to go on a few dates with them first to find out. But if at the end of date one they want a kiss or something, that would be waaaaay too much too soon, because it takes a while to know what someone's personality is? One date is no where near enough. Maybe 3 months of dating, then I can say, "OK, let me see what it's like kissing you" or "I guess I'm not interested after all." I've never known anyone who wanted to do that, so I eventually just gave up dating (Strikor and I got together because we played online, platonically, for like 6 months together before I got the idea that I might want to get in his pants).

I think there are two things here:

1) is the idea of needing to get to know someone to feel comfortable

2) is the speed at which you feel you've gotten to know someone

I think those are getting a little muddled, because the first is absolutely true for me - I don't want to have sex with people I don't really know, and I mostly fall in love through realizing more about someone. But on the other hand, I don't think... it takes that long? Querry and I were making out, then banging, super fast, but it's not like we didn't know each other. We knew each other pretty darned well by then! We'd spent multiple days' worth of hours (if you stacked them together) just getting to know each other, on top of tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands?) of words of text.

I can see how they get mushed together, but I dunno if they're the same thing.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    When I started using cannabis I was very happy to find these hard candy things that were 5 mg each so I could figure out what the right dosage for me was.

And man I sleep so good when I've taken the right amount.

oh hmm that reminds me I need to grab some of those for my friend to take back to japan

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also I just reserved some meat from a butcher shop and the guy didn't take my name

Which like ok

I guess

[order: one (1) pound of whatever weird goddamn thing the crawfish girl wants this week]

"Yo, crawfish girl, come pick up your pound of zebra face! It's ready!"

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I also don't quite see the connection to demisexuality or the pace of initial dating.

Well, demisexuality, as I understand it, means not being able to be attracted to someone until you know their personality. Whether that's what demisexuality actually is or not I can't say, but that is how I am. Just seeing a dating profile of someone, or meeting someone at a party, I don't know if I'm attracted to them or not. So I might want to go on a few dates with them first to find out. But if at the end of date one they want a kiss or something, that would be waaaaay too much too soon, because it takes a while to know what someone's personality is? One date is no where near enough. Maybe 3 months of dating, then I can say, "OK, let me see what it's like kissing you" or "I guess I'm not interested after all." I've never known anyone who wanted to do that, so I eventually just gave up dating (Strikor and I got together because we played online, platonically, for like 6 months together before I got the idea that I might want to get in his pants).
    This is not an attack on anyone's identity but I do think several of the a-romantic / demisexual identities are simply common relationship requirements and desires that always have existed and just hadn't really been codified before.

Like being friends first or appreciating someone's personality first before dating are totally normal routes to partnership.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

No, I know that (I was someone who initially supplied you with the word demisexuality earlier today when you had forgotten :P ). I mean the concept of maintaining appearances or working out while married--I don't see really how that relates. I guess it's riffing on the concept of physical attraction vs. personality attraction?

I've only ever really dated one person and that was after we had been friends for quite a while, so I don't really know where I am on that scale. I suppose I also made out with one other person but we had been friends for a while as well. *shrug*

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    do you ever really know someone

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    That's an interesting thought shivs

sig.gif
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Atomika wrote: »
    Also I just reserved some meat from a butcher shop and the guy didn't take my name

Which like ok

I guess

[order: one (1) pound of whatever weird goddamn thing the crawfish girl wants this week]

"Yo, crawfish girl, come pick up your pound of zebra face! It's ready!"

That'd make my day

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've levelled up my cowardice to the point of a strong tendency to back down from any relationship. I'm sure the pre-evolved stage of PLA would have preferred familiar faces.

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

The only person I know who would reserve meat at the butcher shop was a former roommate who managed to among other things get ahold of (non-poached, not sure how) lion meat.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    When I started using cannabis I was very happy to find these hard candy things that were 5 mg each so I could figure out what the right dosage for me was.

oh hmm that reminds me I need to grab some of those for my friend to take back to japan

Friend gets arrested for drug trafficking, all your fault.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @LandShark my brother caught a pikachu santa clause

Bless your heart.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    finished watching the full metal alchemist brotherhood series

dude got into a sword fight with a tank

I approve

Aioua wrote: »

Friend gets arrested for drug trafficking, all your fault.

he knows enough to take them out of the WEED packaging

customs aint got time to check every cough drop for drugs

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

Thus someone is experiencing the life of Chelle and Lud

Bless your heart.
    do you ever really know someone

I know her enough to know that she's a machine made out of meat, what else is there?
    That's an interesting thought shivs

I dunno there is just some weird feelings for me around this given both my sexual vulnerability and reticence to engage in casual stuff but then also the fact that I was having sex with Querry barely more than a month after I first physically met her, fifth/sixth datish (and we both were kind of shocked at ourselves for how fast we were moving), but it felt natural and it wasn't like "omg this girl's so hot let's fuck," so..

I dunno it's been an educational experience?

finished watching the full metal alchemist brotherhood series

dude got into a sword fight with a tank

I approve

it's hardly fair

it not like the tank can wield a sword

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

This is not an attack on anyone's identity but I do think several of the a-romantic / demisexual identities are simply common relationship requirements and desires that always have existed and just hadn't really been codified before.

Like being friends first or appreciating someone's personality first before dating are totally normal routes to partnership.

Attraction and desire for partnership are like the x and y axis. Thos other concept makes it seem some people have a grid and others a line....?

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    1) Abolish the flat tire system

2) My 'go teach cute young lady about Illustrator & MailChimp while getting lunch' date has turned into a 'go have lunch with cute young lady and maybe also teach Illustrator & MailChimp' date. This is... good? But also weird. I am paranoid. What is the angle? How can I protect my organs from being harvested?

With Love and Courage

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

The only person I know who would reserve meat at the butcher shop was a former roommate who managed to among other things get ahold of (non-poached, not sure how) lion meat.

He runs out of lamb pretty fast and gets his shipments on Thursday

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    usually my boss comes in around 3 on Thursdays (and usually I work 12-6) but today two strange things happened

-boss not in??
    -i am scheduled "2-?"

and actually I had been planning on staying til 9 (close)

well boss called and apparently has a migraine and was like "so I'm running late can you stay later than six? like six thirty?" and I was like "uh well I was going to stay til nine" and she was like "Wait what oh my god can you?" and I was like "yeah?" and she was like "OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M GOING BACK TO BED"

so now I look super cool and my plans haven't changed AND also no one is going to come in and order me around tonight!
    a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50c74fc6a86b046b54cb9b2c59.jpg
    Only tangentially related (in terms of plans coming together): So, my roommate's son is having his birthday party this weekend, and it's dragon-themed. I went to Gamestop to purchase some Christmas gifts this week, and I saw that they had this on clearance:
    152e_dragon_cake_pan.jpg

I thought "Hey, this would be an awesome cake for his birthday, and it's hella cheap. Sure, why not?"

Later, I found out that my roommate was thinking the exact same thing, but decided against buying it because she didn't know it was on clearance at Gamestop and was looking at the full-priced product on Thinkgeek. She said "Holy shit, you totally read my mind!"

I am continuing to retain the title of "Most Favored Roommate" status. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

2) My 'go teach cute young lady about Illustrator & MailChimp while getting lunch' date has turned into a 'go have lunch with cute young lady and maybe also teach Illustrator & MailChimp' date. This is... good? But also weird. I am paranoid. What is the angle? How can I protect my organs from being harvested?

If she looks like Scarlet Johansen leave!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    No, I know that (I was someone who initially supplied you with the word demisexuality earlier today when you had forgotten :P ). I mean the concept of maintaining appearances or working out while married--I don't see really how that relates. I guess it's riffing on the concept of physical attraction vs. personality attraction?

Right, that's what I meant. What a person looks like physically means almost nothing to me. It does mean a little something, but not really enough to change my feelings of sexual attraction, unless it was a truly drastic change (we're talking brain in a jar drastic, or animorphed into a jaguar drastic).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

niceeeeee lamb is best meat

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    My wife's made it pretty clear that as long as I take care of myself in like, a hygiene and self-care sense (showering, brushing my teeth, deodorant, etc) how I look is my business. She knows I have issues with my weight and my body and my appearance and my gender, and that those are my issues so she doesn't bug me about them. She does encourage me to lose weight and watch how I eat and avoid problematic eating habits and sedentary activity levels, because my weight is a pretty significant contributing factor to some of my health problems, most notably my spinal injury. Like, my back is in objectively more pain the more weight I'm carrying, so losing weight healthily is a Net Good for me.

But with that its about what's best for me, not like, what she thinks would be sexy or whatever.

Pony on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

sorry about #1

congrats about #2

Ffff I'm so behind on grading and the professor wants grades now

time to hermit for several hours

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

*gaspu*

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

Right, that's what I meant. What a person looks like physically means almost nothing to me. It does mean a little something, but not really enough to change my feelings of sexual attraction, unless it was a truly drastic change (we're talking brain in a jar drastic, or animorphed into a jaguar drastic).

sexy -> mega sexy

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

So would animorphing into a jaguar increase or decrease your sexual attraction?

I'm... I'm just curious...

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

I reserved my Xmas rib roast, but there are certain things expected of you on your way to being the suburban version of Basic.

Feral wrote: »

Decrease. Tiger or nothing.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I'm a sapiosexual

*smug*

It means I'm only attracted to intelligent people

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

because a brain in a jar is obvious

919UOwT.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    FMA:B would be a good anime if it had no magic in it whatsoever, if it was just the story of a fascist nation that committed genocide, and the officers who committed that genocide devoting their lives to reform, and admitting what the country did to the world

What surprised me is how many of the good guys participated in genocide because were ordered to, very few shows will have good guys having actually taken part in something so horrible with anything more than a token role, because a good person would never murder innocent civilians just because they were ordered to right?

override367 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    god I am making the skeptical Fry face at every post I make right now, worried that it's just gibberish.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Wear a set of medieval armor.

Eddy wrote: »

Which like ok

I guess

Is it interesting meat?

*gaspu*

wait have I betrayed my persona by not advocating for the consumption of tender baby meat or something?

Lamb is the only non-preserved meat that I actually like for itself as opposed to as a fairly finely cut and not dominating ingredient in a more complex dish.

This discussion has been closed.