As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Destiny] - FFG Goes to the Collectible Dark Side

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Critical Failures
swd01_anc_slider.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPu9pp2WOM

The masters of Living Card Games, Fantasy Flight, have created their first Collectible Card Game in a long time: Star Wars Desiny. Destiny is unique for its large, laser-etched dice tied to special cards. Decks are exactly 30 cards (20 in the two starter packs; anything else must be 30.)

Opposing players can win the game by defeating their opponent's Character cards, which have Force points (life) or when an opponent's deck and hand are gone. Character cards are always on the battlefield and are the primary subject of play. Players can expand their characters strength by playing Upgrade cards on them and adding that upgrade's respective die to the character. There are also Support cards, which activate special abilities, such as messing with the results of your dice, or your opponents, and single use abilities.

Deckbuilding Rules
* Decks are exactly 30 cards (the exception is dueling starter decks, which are exactly 20 cards.) Characters and Battlefields are not cards. A deck is composed exclusively of of Events, Upgrades and Supports.
* No more than two of any card, like Hearthstone
* There are three primary tribes, Hero and Villain. A deck cannot have both Heroes and Villains
* There are four subtribes, depicted by the color of the card. Blue (Force,) Red (Command), Yellow (Rogue) and Gray (Neutral.) A deck can only have neutrals and colors that match their Character cards.

The 30 deck limit is the only rule the starters break. The Kylo Ren starter is a Villain tribal deck and the Rey starter is a Hero tribal deck. Inspecting both more closely, they each have two Characters that dictate the cards that may go into the deck. Both have some neutral cards.
swd01_kylo-ren_altart_card.pngswd01_card-dice_1st-order-stormtrooper.png

The Kylo starter gives you Kylo Ren and First Order Stormtrooper as your two characters. Kylo is Force (Blue), the Stormtrooper is Command (Red) and both are villains. So the deck only contains Force and Command cards of the Villain and Neutral tribes.

swd01_rey_altart_card.pnglatest?cb=20160924114140
The Rey starter gives you Rey (Force) and Finn (Rogue), and they are heroes. Therefore, this deck only contains Force and Rogue cards of the Hero and Neutral tribes.

More to come after play testing.

Let the Collectible hate flow through you!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Now thats a nice voice over, I like a nice neutral English accent voice over.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Now thats a nice voice over, I like a nice neutral English accent voice over.

FFG makes some damn nice tutorials.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Taught one friend how to play this a few days ago, and another how to play today. Both enjoyed the experience, and we just used the Tutorial decks for simplicity, but the response remained "yeah no way I'm buying into a collectible style game", which I can totally understand. Even if I think that the card pool size, deck size, and max of 2 of each card, along with the existence of the secondary market make it a less egregious 'ccg' than many, it's still not a cheap thing to get into however we cut it. Sure, a pair of Starters and a few boosters won't break the bank, but let's be honest here.

Not to say that I'm down on the game. I'm hoping to play some at the local store in the coming weeks, and starting around February at least one is looking to have semi-regular tournaments, and if there's even a casual tournament at Gencon I could see playing in that (as I hope to attend).

I've got a stash of cards that haven't been added to the decks yet, but I might try my hand at upgrading the starters this week. Maybe just add 10 new cards to each and see what happens. Round out the characters a little.

I'm trying not to jump into this one too deeply, but if there's a decent sale on a booster box in my area or an online shop with non-obnoxious Canadian shipping, I could see an afternoon of cracking packs.

I'm also seeing some shops starting to offer singles, and at least one local store says they hope to do so soon, so that'll be a nice way to cost effectively round out the collection a little. No way I'm chasing these absurd $40 per card auctions, but a few of the cheaper commons/uncommons/characters would be nice to have without praying to RNGesus.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I fear that FFG is already to plot some bullshit meta by cranking out lots of "unblockable damage" cards.

The dice are freaking sweet, but storage will be a challenge. There are two major challenges with dice. First, they are tied to specific cards. For each special card, there is a die with the card's artwork on it. Someone is going to have to come up with an all new storage scheme just for this game. Second, you are supposed to conceal your dice during play until the appropriate card hits the table, which means you need a second storage during play. Luckily, the starter boxes include a pretty good solution, which are dice trays. The cover of the trays is clear plastic, so you need to take a sheet of paper over it or paint it.

Cantido on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The cover of the trays is clear plastic, so you need to take a sheet of paper over it or paint it.

Or just flip the box around so the solid back is on top.

A competitive (read: timed) setting will require some logistical work. I'm sure when people have a lot of games under their belt things will move quickly, but if a match is 2 or 3 games, the time fiddling around to find the right die for a card will add up between two players and multiple games. I suppose they could be slightly longer 1 off battles, but I might be getting a bit ahead of myself here.

As for mechanics, the way shields show up on dice, and the cards that already clear all shields, indicate to me that there'll be things shifting those mechanics and playing in the design space, but I'm not so sure about cranking out tons of bullshit unblockable damage cards. At the very least, we'll have to wait and see what the next wave looks like, and far as I've seen they haven't even announced the follow up set or when that'll be (which isn't surprising of course, the game just officially landed a few weeks ago).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Is anyone in to this?

New expansion is rumored to be out on Celebration day, and they're ramping up production + re-printing awakenings as well as releasing Spirit of the Rebellion. I dig this game a lot, I just wish it wasn't so supply strapped.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/31/star-wars-destiny-two-player-game/

New 2 player starter is out. Finally. This is what they should have done at launch.

swd08_cardfan_01.png
    Villains:
    swd08_kylo-ren.pngswd08_captain-phasma.png
    swd08_crossguard-lightsaber.pngswd08_captain-phasmas-blaster.png
    swd08_force-statis.pngswd08_praetorian-guard.png
    swd08_hangar-bay.png

Heroes:
    swd08_rey.pngswd08_poe-dameron.png
    swd08_reys-lightsaber.pngswd08_poe-damerons-blaster.png
    swd08_strike-team.pngswd08_inner-strength.png
    swd08_obi-wans-hut.png

DO3O00C.png
    edited September 2017
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/16/empire-at-war/

Third expansion to Destiny: Empire at War
    swd07_anc_cardfan.png

Red:
    swd07_thrawn.pngswd07_prepare-for-war.pngswd07_the-day-is-ours.png

Yellow:
    swd07_ezra-bridger.pngswd07_quick-escape.png

Blue:
    swd07_mace-windu.pngswd07_master-of-the-council.png

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited September 2017
    ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    edited September 2017
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/28/prepare-for-battle-4/

A Red deck made from Empire at War:
    Characters (3):
    Hera Syndulla (elite), Admiral Ackbar, Rebel Trooper
    Battlefield (1):
    Weapons Factory Alpha
    Events (18):
    Logistics (2), Rebel Assault (2), Strategic Planning (2), Reckless Reentry (2), Recycle (2), Pinned Down (2) , Flank (2), Field Medic (2), It's a Trap! (2)
    Supports (11):
    C-3PO (2), T-47 Airspeeder (2), Y-Wing (2), Ghost (2), Black One (1), U-Wing (2)
    Upgrades (1):
    A280 Blaster Rifle (1)

Preview Cards:
    swd07_recycle.pngswd07_pinned-down.png
    swd07_weapons-factory-alpha.png

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/23/spectres-of-the-past/

card_and_die_fan.png

Blue Card Preview for Empire at War:
    Heroes:
    swd07_ahsoka_die.pngswd07_shoto_lightsaber_die.pngswd07_lightsaber_pull.png
    swd07_kanan_die.pngswd07_at_peace.pngswd07_training_remote_die.png

Villains:
    swd07_inquisitor_die.pngswd07_inquisitor_saber_die.png
    swd07_quinlan_vos_die.pngswd04_asajj-ventress.pngswd07_it_will_all_be_mine.png
    swd07_hate.pngswd07_kill_them_all.png

DO3O00C.png
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/1/allies-of-the-force/

A blue deck made with Empire at War:

Characters (3):
    Ahsoka Tano , Rey , Padawan
    Battlefield (1):
    Maz's Castle
    Events (16):
    Trust Your Instincts (2), Bestow (2), Guard (2), Riposte (2), Take Cover (2) , Flank (2), Reaping the Crystal (1), Lightsaber Pull (1), Lightsaber Training (1), Deflect (1)
    Supports (1):
    Funeral Pyre (1)
    Upgrades (13):
    Lightsaber (2), Shoto Lightsaber (2), Ancient Lightsaber (2), Handcrafted Light Bow (2), Vibroknife (2), Fearless (2), Protective Mentor (1)

Preview Cards:
    swd07_lightsaber_die.pngswd07_fearless.pngswd07_reaping-the-crystal.png
    swd07_funeral-pyre.pngswd07_bestow.pngswd07_lightsaber_training.png

DO3O00C.png
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/12/track-your-target/

swd07_cardfan2.png

Yellow Card Preview for Empire at War:
    Villains:
    swd07_bossk.pngswd07_hounds_tooth.pngswd07_pilfered_goods.png
    swd07_cad_bane.pngswd07_ll-30_blaster_pistol.png
    swd07_anarchy.pngswd07_bounty_postings.png

Heroes:
    swd07_lando_calrissian.pngswd07_x-8_night_sniper.png
    swd07_chopper.pngswd07_energy_slingshot.png
    swd07_tough_haggler.pngswd07_impersonate.pngswd07_tenacity.png

DO3O00C.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I picked up the Luke and Boba Fett starter decks a couple days ago. Apparently they aren't legal for the weekly casual tournaments at my FLGS. What's the best/cheapest way to make them legal/not get stomped? A duplicate starter deck? Buying singles?