As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I still have bank and bag upgrades to buy but I think I'm gonna hoard it all for February's Homestead update

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular

I'm suddenly very very glad I maxxed out Woodworking. I am curious to see how the furniture stuff will work. I wonder if they'll have learnable blueprints in the same vein as provisioning recipes and such?

I hope that you need to find the recipes, some of them being rarish drops (maybe from world bosses or something). I like to find my recipes, it's so boring when you can find everything in the store or you just know everything right away... Maybe even deconstruct chairs for a chance to learn that recipe? Would be neat.

edited December 2016
    I'm gonna smash these Nordic chairs against the side of my house until I learn the secret of their construction!

For real though, I want an NPC that looks like Norm Abram

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Grebnu wrote: »

I'm suddenly very very glad I maxxed out Woodworking. I am curious to see how the furniture stuff will work. I wonder if they'll have learnable blueprints in the same vein as provisioning recipes and such?

I hope that you need to find the recipes, some of them being rarish drops (maybe from world bosses or something). I like to find my recipes, it's so boring when you can find everything in the store or you just know everything right away... Maybe even deconstruct chairs for a chance to learn that recipe? Would be neat.

Eh, I sort of prefer the Guild Wars 2 style of crafting, where there's both recipes / blueprints that you find in the world or buy from quest NPCs, AND you can also discover new recipes by using the Crafting interface. For instance, you learn to make bread by combining yeast + water + flour, and then you learn to make buttered toast by combining bread + butter. And once you've DONE that, you know the recipe forever. It felt natural because on the one hand, what idiot wouldn't figure out buttered toast by just doing it themselves, but then the more difficult recipes you find on specific quest NPCs (who become merchants after you finish the quest). Those are things like "Marjory's Secret Chili," "Edda's Apple Pie," "Sweet Curried Mussels," etc.

Unfortunately the ESO crafting interface doesn't really support that, so I suppose I am in the camp of hoping it works like the ESO cooking does, where we find recipes in containers, from NPCs, from finishing certain quests, and maybe even as boss drops. I suppose on some level deconstruction works too -- I did learn to make a type of birdhouse IRL when I found an old busted up one that I couldn't use, took it apart to see how it was put together, and re-made it using better wood*. /shrug.

*crafting in games is sometimes very weird for me, because I do cooking, brewing, sewing, and woodworking as hobbies, the latter two specifically for costuming stuff, so sometimes I'm like "but to brew this it should take like six months.......... you can't just MAKE a BEER on the SPOT!!!"

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Anyone have any recommendations for a guild that does dungeons and whatnot, I've had some pretty bad experiences so far with the dungeon finder, and I'd like to run some dungeons with some good people if possible.

*I didn't mean that as a slight to the PA guild, there's usually no one on when I'm able to play dungeons!

mccart on
    edited December 2016
    But ESOs crafting already supports making by testing... Alchemy and enchanting works that way, don't they?

It would be neat, yes, if we could just slap stuff together and learn to make a chair by that. But then you just Google what's up with those and it kind of ruins the experience, imo.

Grebnu on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote:
    It would be neat, yes, if we could just slap stuff together and learn to make a chair by that. But then you just Google what's up with those and it kind of ruins the experience, imo.

Heh, man reading that I totally had a brief moment where I imagined a "furniture reject pile" accumulated from failed experiments. I can just imagine some crafter sitting off to the side making notes like: "Attempt #117 failed. It would appear that nailing wooden planks to poultry did not create a viable chair. Will adjust ingredients for attempt #118. Perhaps nirnroot will provide better results....."

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    My wishes to mess with the game for the hell of it were dashed as... well, their account page is dead. Same for a couple of other pages.

Store and Account it seems to be. Looking into it both of those are down during maintenance but it doesn't appear like that's in effect right now?

It's literally just Chrome, weird.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil

Heh, man reading that I totally had a brief moment where I imagined a "furniture reject pile" accumulated from failed experiments. I can just imagine some crafter sitting off to the side making notes like: "Attempt #117 failed. It would appear that nailing wooden planks to poultry did not create a viable chair. Will adjust ingredients for attempt #118. Perhaps nirnroot will provide better results....."

Ha :biggrin:

It would be so nice to get something like rubber duck with 4 wooden legs when trying to make that Epic chair... All kinds of silly stuff that you could still use as a decoration. Has any game done this before? If not, please use this most fabulous idea!

Arthil wrote: »
    My wishes to mess with the game for the hell of it were dashed as... well, their account page is dead. Same for a couple of other pages.

Store and Account it seems to be. Looking into it both of those are down during maintenance but it doesn't appear like that's in effect right now?

It's literally just Chrome, weird.

Are you using any Chrome extensions like adblockers, scriptblockers, or the like? That can shut down the page, since iirc the company that handles their transaction system gets flagged by some blockers (it's benign, I think they just also do advertising in some places idk)

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Turning everything off and then back on again afterward fixed it, that is extremely odd.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips for doing PvP in Cyrodiil? I messed around for a few hours last night mostly sticking with the zerg groups as we attacked or defended objectives but I never felt like I was contributing anything

Playing as a sorc. I felt like my typical pve skills weren't cutting it but I'm pretty dedicated to crafting so I didn't want to just start grabbing random skills without a plan, as I'm strapped for points as it is (hence why I want to rank up in PvP some)

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips for doing PvP in Cyrodiil? I messed around for a few hours last night mostly sticking with the zerg groups as we attacked or defended objectives but I never felt like I was contributing anything

Playing as a sorc. I felt like my typical pve skills weren't cutting it but I'm pretty dedicated to crafting so I didn't want to just start grabbing random skills without a plan, as I'm strapped for points as it is (hence why I want to rank up in PvP some)

Yea I was trying to find out what all you could do outside of zerging as I know some spots on the map have farms , logging etc and was wondering it helping take those out in small groups would help overall effort and earn some points. I have done some caves/dungeons there like on the PVE side and grabbed a mission once but got killed before I could complete it.

• JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    If anyone is interested in running dungeons yell in chat

Jagmas on
  • FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    Deltia's gaming has some pretty good guides and builds for pretty much every thing: PVE, PVP, leveling, etc...
    I returned to the game after a long absence and his guides and videos helped me easy into what was basically a new game for me.

edited December 2016
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/12/13/celebrate-the-new-life-festival
    We're wrapping up an exciting year in Tamriel by celebrating the New Life Festival! This event is filled with quests that take you across different zones, and you have a chance to obtain fun and festive rewards.

The New Life Festival kicks off this Thursday, December 15 at 10:00am EST. Before you can partake in the festivities, you'll need to track down Breda outside Windhelm for your first quest simply titled “The New Life Festival." Once you complete her requests, you'll have the opportunity to complete up to nine different daily quests, each themed for Tamriel's different races and located in their respective zones. These include:

Castle Charm Challenge (Breton)
    Fish Boon Feast (Argonian)
    Lava Foot Stomp (Dunmer)
    Mud Ball Merriment (Bosmer)
    Signal Fire Sprint (Redguard)
    Snow Bear Plunge (Nord)
    Stonetooth Bash (Orc)
    The Trial of Five-Clawed Guile (Khajiit)
    War Orphan's Sojourn (Altmer)

Upon completion of each quest, you'll be given a New Life Gift Box which contains a random assortment of New Life Festival-themed goodies. Each New Life Gift Box will always contain:

A random crafting material (Provisioning ingredient, Alchemy reagent, or Health glyph)
    A consumable version of a New Life-themed Memento
    A Skinchanger style item (Wolfsbane Incense)

In addition, you will also receive one of the following:

A Skinchanger Motif chapter
    A New Life recipe of either green, blue or gold-quality
    A special New Life Collectible
    Mud Ball Pouch (Memento)
    Nordic Bather's Towel (Costume)
    Colovian Filigreed Hood (Hat)
    Colovian Fur Hood (Hat)
    If you're able to complete all the quests that Breda has for you, you'll receive a special new dye – New Life Cerulean – and the New Life Celebrant achievement. Completing all the New Life-related achievements will grant the “Magnanimous" title as well! Be sure and complete each quest before the New Life Festival concludes on Wednesday, January 4 at 10am EST.

Skinchanger Heavy Armor is BAWSS

7edb8a9364fe28b5ca3e013fdfe9886c.jpg

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Nordic Bather's Towel (Costume)

Oh, God

President Evil on
    :winky:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Tamriel is bananas right now.

People are throwing a fit about having to sometimes move a few feet to either side to keep fishing

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I offered my fish for free, and was swarmed like I've never been swarmed before.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I suddenly regret trashing all those crawlers and worms.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    @Steel Angel you can always buy simple bait

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2016
    Day 1 of the New Life festival is in the books, and I'm digging it. Did all the quests and walked away with a spiffy gold-lined hood for my efforts. I am also IN LOVE with the new dye; I think it looks great. Looking forward to nabbing the rest of the goodies in the coming weeks.

President Evil on
    Did you throw mud balls at the faction leaders?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I got one of the hats from the festival boxes (Runebox: Colovian Filigreed Hood), is this an account bound sort of thing? I tried to look at the wikis and I don't really understand how the item works.

@mccart I would assume it's a Hat, which is account bound

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2016
    Ah ok thanks, I wasn't sure if I should try to sell it since I'm new and don't have much gold, but I think I'll just use it.

mccart on
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Did you throw mud balls at the faction leaders?

This was the first and only quest I completed prior to browsing the achievements list. I got some mud to sling yet.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I just got back into this since last playing it on the original release and it feels a lot better. It seems to be very difficult to suss out the details of builds though. Particularly for the high end stuff at the end - trials. Are those basically for min-maxers only? If I toy around with a nightblade tank could I do that content?

Edit: Found this great reddit post that gives me an idea of the builds in this game: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5ivvip/pc_never_played_game_is_downloading_now_what/

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Reinstalling this as well right now. Been in the mood for an MMO but nothing's been grabbing me. Are people playing together anymore or are we all spread out?

Reinstalling this as well right now. Been in the mood for an MMO but nothing's been grabbing me. Are people playing together anymore or are we all spread out?

Little bit of both

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Little bit of both

Basically, if you are in Pax Arcadia and you go "HEY NERDS DOES SOMEBODY WANNA HELP ME WITH X!?" people are likely to respond, but you need to actually say it to get things to happen.

The level scaling means that outside of things like hard mode dungeons there's no big barrier to playing with each other but I think a lot of people have weird schedules right now with the holidays fast approaching.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Man everybody is running around in that nordic bathing towel now.

I guess it's the most nude clothing option available, huh? Outside of literally removing armor which is annoying.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Is there any guideline as to what difficulty the different dungeons fall in? I've twice queued up for veteran dungeons without realizing it and completed them and their Undaunted challenge without much trouble but was getting wrecked in a normal City of Ash run yesterday.

Steam Profile
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Played last night and this morning on my Orc Sorcerer, hoping to eventually be a tank with him but have no idea how or if that's viable!!

Enjoying it a lot though :) So is there a PA guild or channel or something? How does all of that work? Like is there a place we gather to share cat (or Khajiit...) gifs?

Played last night and this morning on my Orc Sorcerer, hoping to eventually be a tank with him but have no idea how or if that's viable!!

Enjoying it a lot though :) So is there a PA guild or channel or something? How does all of that work? Like is there a place we gather to share cat (or Khajiit...) gifs?

Sorctanks are super viable :) There's two ways to do it -- either you go a more traditional heavy armor guy who wastes things in the face, OR you build your pets to tank for you. You may even be able to do both, iirc, but I think that might take too much magika and usually you want to focus in EITHER mag OR stam.

This one may be outdated, but here's a sample build: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2015/10/06/battlemasters-corner--the-warded-guardian

The level scaling means that outside of things like hard mode dungeons there's no big barrier to playing with each other but I think a lot of people have weird schedules right now with the holidays fast approaching.

I know for me Guild Wars 2's Wintersday event is up, and GW2 is really my main game right now with ESO as a secondary when nothing's going on in GW2, so yeah, I'm not around much.

Okay. So. I really, really want to update the OP to be less terrible and outdated. Could you guys do me a solid and tell me what kinds of information you think needs to be in there? Especially stuff like a basic description of the game, I'm kind of bad at that. And a few things for returning players, eg, "diminishing returns aren't a thing anymore," "level scaling exists so you can bring your level 1 character straight to craglorn if you want (but probably a bad idea bc you have no skillz)"

A few links I want to put in:

UESP.net's Elder Scrolls Online page : Great general bread-and-butter information about the game, stuff like how to get started, all the Alchemy combinations, some basic quest information (but needs updating), and all the lore you could possibly ever want.

[url=" http://deltiasgaming.com/ "]Deltia's Gaming [/url] Good information about builds, the various "metas" (dungeon, PVP, etc). This is less important for low-level play, but if you get to the point where you want to do the higher-level dungeons or to dive into Cyrodiil, this is where you go.

ESOUI & Minion : Elder Scrolls games are all about the add-ons, and ESO is no execption, despite being an MMO. Minion lets you organize your add-ons and keep them updated. Get helpful stuff like a mini-map, clocks, crafting utilities, and so on.

Given the state of Arcadian Acquisitions, we may just want to take that out of the OP. To me, a merchant/crafting guild where regular members can't access the bank and none of the senior members are around is less than useless.

Okay. So. I really, really want to update the OP to be less terrible and outdated. Could you guys do me a solid and tell me what kinds of information you think needs to be in there? Especially stuff like a basic description of the game, I'm kind of bad at that. And a few things for returning players, eg, "diminishing returns aren't a thing anymore," "level scaling exists so you can bring your level 1 character straight to craglorn if you want (but probably a bad idea bc you have no skillz)"

A few links I want to put in:

UESP.net's Elder Scrolls Online page : Great general bread-and-butter information about the game, stuff like how to get started, all the Alchemy combinations, some basic quest information (but needs updating), and all the lore you could possibly ever want.

Deltia's Gaming Good information about builds, the various "metas" (dungeon, PVP, etc). This is less important for low-level play, but if you get to the point where you want to do the higher-level dungeons or to dive into Cyrodiil, this is where you go.

ESOUI & Minion : Elder Scrolls games are all about the add-ons, and ESO is no execption, despite being an MMO. Minion lets you organize your add-ons and keep them updated. Get helpful stuff like a mini-map, clocks, crafting utilities, and so on.

Given the state of Arcadian Acquisitions, we may just want to take that out of the OP. To me, a merchant/crafting guild where regular members can't access the bank and none of the senior members are around is less than useless.

Like many other places I've looked, Deltia's stuff on dungeons seems out of date so an up to date resource for that would be good to include.

Steam Profile