As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Routine | Survival Horror First Person Non-Linear Moon Base Exploration With Permadeath

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The fact that this game is planning to support the Oculus Rift at launch makes me really want to buy one. I think horror games have the most to gain from VR, compared to other genres.

We'll get back there someday.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Horror games and flight sims.

New interview with a developer of the game. Not much new info but a bit of clarification:
    Throughout the game you can find clues, information, codes and also completely different places based on that, so ultimately the outcome you reach will be tied in with your play through and while there won’t be an infinite number of endings we want to make sure each ending is quite different!

Q&A with the devs. Inspirations for the game include System Shock 2, Dark Souls, Doom 3, and a Japanese game I've never heard of called Whiteday.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Ugh, I love the way this game sounds in every way but the permadeath.

The comments about the, what sounds like randomization? That gives me hope that perhaps they are going for a short length but high variety/replay value. I suppose I could stomach permadeath if they went that route.

Yes, they have permadeath precisely because each playthrough is different. Very few games are silly enough to combine permadeath with a game that plays the same each time. It sounds like Routine is randomizing basically everything but the levels: which doors are locked/unlocked, where you find various gear, where the enemies are, and so on is all going to be random each time, so when you die you start fresh instead of just having to play through something you've already done.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    My only problem with this, there should be both permadeath and non-permadeath settings.

I can understand games that don't have ironman modes, but the other way around?

It's like the "one slot autosaving" WAY TOO MANY games have this nowadays. Frankly that's worse than only having permadeath, because with permadeath the annoying save system is a feature. One slot autosaving on the other hand is just lazy.

How is it lazy? How do you propose you prevent save scumming in a perma-death game without autosaving?

steam_sig.png
    I think Astale meant it's lazy in games without permadeath. Because, while in permadeath, the annoying save system is a feature, in other games, automatic one slot saving is just lazy because they don't want to let you save like a normal person.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I think Astale meant it's lazy in games without permadeath. Because, while in permadeath, the annoying save system is a feature, in other games, automatic one slot saving is just lazy because they don't want to let you save like a normal person.

If that's what he meant, I can agree to that. One-slot saving has corrupted more than my fair share of games, with no chance of reprieve.

steam_sig.png
    Small update which is mostly just a thank you to everyone for Greenlighting them.

10 minute Q&A video from the devs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_g0UefTozk

Second Q&A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdlL05e22hA

Fun facts - when the first member of their 4 person team found out they had been Greenlit in the first batch of Steam Greenlight games and got really excited and told the rest of them, they thought he was just misunderstanding what he was reading because there was no way they had been Greenlit that fast. There's one weapon in the game, your multitool, and it uses batteries each time you fire. If you use up all your batteries, this will also shut down your flashlight and UI until you find more batteries, so there will be times when you need to decide whether you want to fire your last shot and go dark for a while. Aiming will use a deadzone in the middle of the screen rather than pinpoint railgun accuracy (+ no crosshair).

Third Q&A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPeDMfau2Bc

No map editor (too much work), not really sure about how long the game will be until they're closer to completion although it will be possible to complete the game without seeing everything, no achievements because having something pop up ruins the atmosphere (woo), no difficulty levels, they're going for a 50/50 balance between horror and exploration (rather than more a scripted, tightly controlled experience that most horror games go for), and apparently they're going to release more footage soonish maybe.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    seems coolio

not as coolio as me, but still, coolio

obF2Wuw.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    This shit is gonna be so goddamn bananas.

Good horror games need a lot of unconventional thinking, and decisions a $texas studio dev wouldn't dream to make, so indie horror is where it's at (Penumbra, Amnesia, et al) these days. I'm thrilled there'll be a scifi horror done by passionate devs, and that it looks good!

Panda4You on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Looks promising, gonna keep my eye on this one.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    "Cheat Masters" has a preview up and it's not bad.

New update:
    It’s been a while since our last update, I think the best way to simplify this post I will do my best to answer a few common questions.

• Q: Where is the gameplay trailer? you said it would be done weeks ago!

• A: We have had to change what we are actually showing, we feel there is a fine line that we don’t want to cross, showing too much of a certain thing could really spoil the surprise when playing it for the first time yourself and obviously we don’t want to show too little! The gameplay trailer just needs a few more tweaks and additions, hopefully it will be done shortly after GDC as our hands are a bit tied until then.

• Q: What will actually be shown in the gameplay trailer?

• A: The gameplay trailer will focus more on Atmosphere and exploration with a tiny bit of enemy interaction, most of the gameplay trailer will be based in the public sector as it is one of the more complete areas that we have.

• Q: Is the game really going to be released in April?!

• A: Most probably not, when we wrote that date it was based on a very cut down small project, but since then the game has really developed into something that resembles a more complete experience. Right now I don’t want to speculate on the release date but let’s just say that it is still set to release in 2013, Sorry guys!

• Q: Early Alpha Access on Steam?

• A: Short answer is no, having early beta/alpha access to Routine just doesn’t work in our opinion, first experience and play through is so important!

• Q: Oculus Rift compatible?!

• A: Absolutely! Oculus recently announced its support for UDK!
    -
    Again, we are extremely sorry for the slow progress, we are honestly working as hard as we can without completely burning ourselves out. Thank you for all of the support so far guys and I know this won’t make up for it but here is a Wallpaper and a piece of concept art from the Hydroponics section of the game!

Here's the concept art:

ixSMVxT7SQbIb.jpg

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    No alpha release was the right decision, I think. That's one trend that's gone a little too far recently.

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Count me out for playing horror games like this with Oculus Rift.

I may be losing my nerve as I get older, but I'd probably wet my pants if I played this in freakin' virtual reality. Plain old computer monitor for me, thank you.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Awww yeah, the clickety-clack of robot footsteps as they chase you down cold, emotionless, corporately-optimized hallways so that they may enthusiastically help you to death. Good stuff.

I get a very solidly Half-Life 1 vibe from the atmosphere, which is definitely a thumbs-up in my book. Nice combo of "this is a work space" with "something has gone horrifically wrong".

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    auugh, that video

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    rise from your glave

This now has a release date - March 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XRCYwQw8ss

5gsowHm.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Holy shit this game.

I remember being really excited about this 3 years ago. Since then Alien Isolation came out and maybe stole some of their thunder. I still have high hopes.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to get a date! Yusssss

So close now.

I am wondering if this game will make a splash in a post Alien Isolation world.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think it's going to end up facing the same issues Isolation did, i.e., being too scary. Isolation got to me better than just about any other horror game and I enjoyed it a lot, but I tried to get my sister to play it and she literally could not even make it far enough into the game to see the alien before completely refusing to play anymore. This is 20-something person who has willingly jumped out of a plane for fun, but the atmosphere of Isolation was just too much for her.

I could see Routine actually being too scary to see a lot of sales, since apparently lots of people are big whiny baby things that want to sleep at night.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hello, yes.

I look forward to seeing other people play it, though.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I think it's going to end up facing the same issues Isolation did, i.e., being too scary. Isolation got to me better than just about any other horror game and I enjoyed it a lot, but I tried to get my sister to play it and she literally could not even make it far enough into the game to see the alien before completely refusing to play anymore. This is 20-something person who has willingly jumped out of a plane for fun, but the atmosphere of Isolation was just too much for her.

I could see Routine actually being too scary to see a lot of sales, since apparently lots of people are big whiny baby things that want to sleep at night.

I honestly hope that this is a problem the game has. Alien Isolation has completely ruined every other horror game for me and I need something that can take me there again, so to speak.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I honestly hope that this is a problem the game has. Alien Isolation has completely ruined every other horror game for me and I need something that can take me there again, so to speak.

You sound like a junkie that needs some new product to get the same high anymore. :bzz:

JtgVX0H.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is one I've been looking forward to for a while now. I wasn't sure it would ever see the light of day!

Coming out the same month as Mass Effect can't be good for sales though.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Who gives a shit about Mass Effect? :)

Yeah what an unpopular franchise

:?

I wonder if they feel the overlap in the player base won't be huge?

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I wonder if they feel the overlap in the player base won't be huge?

How many people(edit: and/or robots) do you get to bang in Routine?

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    Depends on how loosely you define "bang".