As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    A Conan-universe show would be great, provided the costumes do not take their inspiration from Frazetta's art.
    I don't understand.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Something along the lines of "ladies wearing clothes" is what I'm getting at.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    A Conan-universe show would be great, provided the costumes do not take their inspiration from Frazetta's art.

I think you mean Vallejo, who popularized the chainmail bikini. Frazetta was much more about his shirtless and pantless men.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There are still a lot of naked ladies in Frazetta art

Like, there's no chainmail bikini, no, but there's no anything else

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Frazetta was also very fond of naked ladies of a specific body type.

And it's not really entirely on Frazetta either, though the visual nature of his product is an easier target, but the Conan stories often lean super hard on the "this princess has been abducted by Bad Guys, and Conan rescues her partially because he'd like to have sex with her and then does have sex with her" trope. So those scenes often get painted by Frazetta, and whoops here's another maiden sans clothes.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Frazetta painted some bangin ladies though, on that we can all agree.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Frazetta was also very fond of naked ladies of a specific body type.

see: poster for the film Fire and Ice

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Did you know:

The Painter of Light, Thomas Kinkade, and the Painter of Dinotopia, James Gurney, both worked as artists on Fire and Ice?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it was Tim Kreider who asserted that the two most artistically bankrupt people currently alive are William Wegman and Anne Geddes but you could probably mount a pretty convincing case for Thomas Kinkade

Shorty wrote: »
    I think it was Tim Kreider who asserted that the two most artistically bankrupt people currently alive are William Wegman and Anne Geddes but you could probably mount a pretty convincing case for Thomas Kinkade

The episode of The Dollop on Kinkade is fascinating.

Shorty wrote: »

The episode of The Dollop on Kinkade is fascinating.

I will listen to this right now

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's always tickled me a bit how a dude whose whole career is built on saccharine bullshit was a massive, massive prick in real life

oh shit, kinkade is dead?

how did I miss hearing about that?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    It's always tickled me a bit how a dude whose whole career is built on saccharine bullshit was a massive, massive prick in real life

same as it ever was

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Frazetta painted some bangin ladies though, on that we can all agree.

Also some swole barely clothed dudes too

Dude knew what good looking naked people looked like

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Conan, and Red Sonja, and YOR

VRXwDW7.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kincaid's story is kind of sad, though

Like, forget about his art (I dislike it but whatever), he was an alcoholic who drank himself to death. That sucks.

And shit, he grew up poor as dirt. Can't blame him for painting shit that sold and to hell with the critics.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I will say this, I have looked at a cloud lit by the sunset and thought "that looks exactly like a Thomas Kincaid painting." I have never thought that about other artists.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I will say this, I have looked at a cloud lit by the sunset and thought "that looks exactly like a Thomas Kincaid painting." I have never thought that about other artists.

I hope I never see a sight that looks like it was painted by one of my favorite artists, personally.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'll never begrudge an artist making money off their art unless they're doing something super shady and fucked up to do it.

Except Gene Simmons. He can eat a whole bag of dicks.

And Warhol. I fuckin hate Andy Warhol.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    And it's not really entirely on Frazetta either, though the visual nature of his product is an easier target, but the Conan stories often lean super hard on the "this princess has been abducted by Bad Guys, and Conan rescues her partially because he'd like to have sex with her and then does have sex with her" trope. So those scenes often get painted by Frazetta, and whoops here's another maiden sans clothes.

"and Conan rescued the woman, and she had been imprisoned by the bad guys for so long that... that her clothes had rotted off. And before she could try and cover herself, Conan saw everything. He saw it all."

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Like, forget about his art (I dislike it but whatever), he was an alcoholic who drank himself to death. That sucks.

And shit, he grew up poor as dirt. Can't blame him for painting shit that sold and to hell with the critics.

It's sad but he was also an enormous Asshole to all his loved ones

Just depends on how much of that you think was the alcoholism I guess

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

same as it ever was

Only exception was Fred Rogers. I will fight anyone who badmouths him. He would be disappointed in me I tell you what.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

same as it ever was

Only exception was Fred Rogers. I will fight anyone who badmouths him. He would be disappointed in me I tell you what.

I kind of want a page-a-day calendar of Mr. Rogers quotes. That feels like a really healthy way to start out your day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Solar wrote: »

It's sad but he was also an enormous Asshole to all his loved ones

Just depends on how much of that you think was the alcoholism I guess

Addiction makes people do terrible things. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been like that otherwise, but it's still pretty sad that he fell into that hole and one day never crawled out, and it destroyed his life long before that too.

I've known a few alcoholics in my time. It's a pitiable place to be, IMO.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I read this book today and I can only recommend it to anyone interested in the subject

The book is not much more than a summary of current historical research but it's presented from an angle which doesn't buy into the idea of European superiority over the natives (and also questions the extent to which spread of disease enabled European conquests)

It also highlights the numerous times European attempts at conquest failed

Maybe I just always suspected that the traditional accounts and all the popular explanations were bullshit

I've been overall impressed with the Very Short Introduction series

I had one assigned as required reading for a class once (Soviet Union, I think - it was a course on 20th century Russian history), and have looked to them when I want to start learning about subjects pretty frequently since then

And even if they're not always exactly what I'm looking for (I'm not going to say bad, because I don't think I've encountered any that are expressly bad), they're fairly short and only like ten bucks a pop so I don't feel bad about the time and money wasted

edited January 2017
    The only one so far which wasn't what I was looking for was the one about radioactivity

That one mostly felt like a powerpoint presentation on how useful radioactivity can be (it was written by someone working for the IAEA)

I was kinda hoping it would delve more into the underlying physics

Anyway, overall they're very enjoyable and informative

Platy on
    That one mostly felt like a powerpoint presentation on how useful radioactivity can be (it was written by someone working for the IAEA)

There's an overlong section on how radioactive material can be used to disinfect drinking water

Which kinda ignores most reasons why communities might not have safe drinking water in the first place

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    290px-Chimney_Rock_NE.jpg

This is Chimney Rock. You may remember a pixelated version of this from childhood games of Oregon Trail. Being a very prominent rock formation in a rather flat land, it was a major landmark. White pioneers thought it looked like a grand chimney and named it such. The Native Americans of the region such as the Lakota of course didn't build chimneys; since time immemorial they'd been calling it the Elk Penis.

That's like... Super close to where I live!

• IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Ah, the fabled Mount Moosecock

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    Ah, the fabled Mount Moosecock

Okay, Catherine

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »
    290px-Chimney_Rock_NE.jpg

This is Chimney Rock. You may remember a pixelated version of this from childhood games of Oregon Trail. Being a very prominent rock formation in a rather flat land, it was a major landmark. White pioneers thought it looked like a grand chimney and named it such. The Native Americans of the region such as the Lakota of course didn't build chimneys; since time immemorial they'd been calling it the Elk Penis.

I just came uncomfortable close to gising Elk Penis at work.

Please stop trying to get me fired

Veevee on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Here, have a ridiculously enormous blob of coins.

Gah, I haven't properly read The History Blog in ages and need to catch up, and so does everyone else in this thread. I'll never get tired of the author's policy of not writing about something unless he can pull out some large, clear images of whatever's being discussed. (This is especially fun for archaeological digs where nifty craftsmanship is unearthed.)

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Here, have a ridiculously enormous blob of coins.

Gah, I haven't properly read The History Blog in ages and need to catch up, and so does everyone else in this thread. I'll never get tired of the author's policy of not writing about something unless he can pull out some large, clear images of whatever's being discussed. (This is especially fun for archaeological digs where nifty craftsmanship is unearthed.)

Wow there's a lot of those bronze bands stuck in that big boulde.....oh...that's not a rock!

Fuckin A comrade

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Today's Google Doodle introduced me to Bessie Coleman, the first African-American woman and the first woman of Native American descent to hold a pilot's license.

This discussion has been closed.