As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

19495969798100»

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Just sub in whatever seems cool with weight on new pokes

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Finally bred a poke worth EV training (my capture smeargle), and learned how to use the Pelago for it.

EV training is the best it's ever been, this is so easy!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Based on other posts in this thread I anticipate that it will 100% be absent from the next generation.

Edit: the ease of use that is the pelago I mean

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    I just started going into the battle tree for real. Currently running:
    Malygo-o (kommo-o)
    Kel'thopod (golisopod)
    Salexstrasza (salazzle)
    Ragnarooze (muk)

The first three were used for some single battles but I've switched over to doubles. I don't know if I am doing this "wrong" but I just kinda enter attacks? Briefly watching some video game world's I expected to get blown out (even by AI) with some sort of strategy that went beyond "is it super effective?". In the handful of single battles I did against humans I faired pretty well except against one of the tapu who just shredded my whole team.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Malygo-o (kommo-o)
    Kel'thopod (golisopod)
    Salexstrasza (salazzle)
    Ragnarooze (muk)

The first three were used for some single battles but I've switched over to doubles. I don't know if I am doing this "wrong" but I just kinda enter attacks? Briefly watching some video game world's I expected to get blown out (even by AI) with some sort of strategy that went beyond "is it super effective?". In the handful of single battles I did against humans I faired pretty well except against one of the tapu who just shredded my whole team.

It varies. My very first Doubles Battle Tree fight was Drizzle Pelipper using Tailwind + Thunder from its partner.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Malygo-o (kommo-o)
    Kel'thopod (golisopod)
    Salexstrasza (salazzle)
    Ragnarooze (muk)

It varies. My very first Doubles Battle Tree fight was Drizzle Pelipper using Tailwind + Thunder from its partner.

I feel like Doubles Battle tree is just managing coverage well enough and developing some sense (that I don't have yet) of when to stay in and put your cards on the table vs. when to switch out.

I'm running Kartana and Magnezone, which means my Salazzle is free to Sludge Wave endlessly with no friendly fire on 2/3 of its partners. I think my weakest member right now is definitely Alolersian; since I don't have Suckerpunch bred onto him, he's basically just there for Fake Out (PSA: fakeout wins double battles) and assurance. Sadly my Salazzle's speed IV is so bad the Persian outspeeds it, otherwise Assurance would be boss for the "if target has already taken damage.."

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Based on other posts in this thread I anticipate that it will 100% be absent from the next generation.

Edit: the ease of use that is the pelago I mean

I mean, yes and no. We lost Horde EV Training and Super Training, but we got SOS Battles and Poke Pelago. GameFreak knows that there needs to be some way to handle EV Training and is good at providing it, though it might not always be exactly to your liking. I haven't tried SOS as EV Training but I understand its faster than hordes and requires less specialized stuff to do efficiently, and leaving Pokemon in Poke Pelago + waiting is an obvious step up from a repetitive minigame, so I'll gladly take the trade-off. EV Training is safe, I believe.

Though our shift from the great PSS to the could-have-been-fantastic-but-wasn't Festival Plaza also proves that sometimes GameFreak just doesn't realize what they're doing.

I still assert that every game is a step forward from it's predecessors, even if some missing features leave sore spots.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    EV training with SOS battles is super easy. Find your target, kill 6 SOS Pokemon, finish off the original Pokemon, done*.

(*Assuming your EV trainee has the appropriate Power item and Pokerus)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Whoa, the Alolan Persian was a bit jarring to see. Kinda looks like Garfield.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    New Thread time?

I'm finding myself particularly disappointed that right as I've finally set myself up with some solid catching/chaining mons (parasect, compoundeyes butterfree) I'm almost out of stuff to catch and really just need evolutions to fill the dex.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Malygo-o (kommo-o)
    Kel'thopod (golisopod)
    Salexstrasza (salazzle)
    Ragnarooze (muk)

that's probably true. i think i saw a pelipper but its partners never got to initiate thunder. i am not sure if my team is actually that good since i dunno whether i am getting lucky or not

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Though our shift from the great PSS to the could-have-been-fantastic-but-wasn't Festival Plaza also proves that sometimes GameFreak just doesn't realize what they're doing.

Alternative hypothesis: GameFreak knows exactly how bad Festival Plaza was, but didn't have the time to spruce it up sufficiently before release. I'm confident that it'll see major improvement in Stars.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm not.

The stars gimmick is looking like it's going to be your pokemon following you around in the overworld.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I'm not.

The stars gimmick is looking like it's going to be your pokemon following you around in the overworld.

They can do both.

If I had to guess festival plaza got lumped in with the normal online functionality because a higher up really wanted festival plaza to be a thing. Without trading and battling it's... Pretty lame. Also PSS while great wouldn't really work on the switch being single screen.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Festival Plaza is exactly what it's supposed to be

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Pretty sure Festival Plaza is exactly what it's supposed to be

complete shit!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    New 3DS users: In Doubles battles, how's your framerate? I'm using a original 3DS XL and the slowdown in some doubles battles is terrible, seemingly around 10 fps.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The framerate tends to slow down at times if all four pokemon and a trainer model are on the screen at one time. It doesn't slow down all the time though. I think the complexity of the trainer model and the arena models determine whether or not it gets pushed over the edge into lag zone.

It also always drops during totem battles whenever that cheap super-saiyan "it's aura flared to life, boosting its _________!" effect is used.

It's not 10 fps bad but it noticeably drops below 30.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Ummm, Hau is a moron. Twice he has fainted my Pokemon with his Water-Z move. Why is he targeting my pokemon and not the opponent?! Yeesh

TelMarine on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    3ds was just the only technology available at the time for sun and moon, hopefully after the switch comes out they make a version that runs it flawlessly. Also, they really should do something mmo-ish with pokemon. With the switch im assuming they would be able to do an always online game, and i would be so pumped for it.

• Options
    It's hilarious that all this crazy shit is happening in the story and your character is constantly smiling.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    3ds was just the only technology available at the time for sun and moon, hopefully after the switch comes out they make a version that runs it flawlessly. Also, they really should do something mmo-ish with pokemon. With the switch im assuming they would be able to do an always online game, and i would be so pumped for it.

what a nightmare you're wishing upon us

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    TelMarine wrote: »
    It's hilarious that all this crazy shit is happening in the story and your character is constantly smiling.

I don't remember who came up with the idea but I love the notion that they don't speak Alolan and are just smilling politely because they don't know what's going on.

Obviously falls apart with dialog choices but still a funny thought.

Road Block on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    dialogue choices don't really mean that you understand a language. Many languages pitch up at the end of a sentence when asking questions, so maybe our character just hears that and we get to blindly pick whether we nod or shake our head.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Ummm, Hau is a moron. Twice he has fainted my Pokemon with his Water-Z move. Why is he targeting my pokemon and not the opponent?! Yeesh

The AI is confused with the Water Z-move due to the fact that it has a recovery component (It heals BURNS!) it's classified as a recovery move and not a attack move so it targets you.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    EV training with SOS battles is super easy. Find your target, kill 6 SOS Pokemon, finish off the original Pokemon, done*.

(*Assuming your EV trainee has the appropriate Power item and Pokerus)

I've played more generations of pokemon than I skipped, and I don't think I've ever, a single time, got a pokemon with Pokerus, even traded. I've never seen it with my own eyes.

For awhile I thought it was a hoax/inside joke.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    New 3DS users: In Doubles battles, how's your framerate? I'm using a original 3DS XL and the slowdown in some doubles battles is terrible, seemingly around 10 fps.

It's not 10fps bad but there is definite noticeable slowdown in double battles and any time something fancy happens on-screen in a battle.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Molybdenum wrote: »

It's not 10fps bad but there is definite noticeable slowdown in double battles and any time something fancy happens on-screen in a battle.

I don't notice slowdown (doesn't mean it isn't there; I just don't notice), but I do occasionally get weird pauses between actions being submitted and them actually executing.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Enigmedic wrote: »

what a nightmare you're wishing upon us

X and Y were already leaning MMOish in all the right ways. Everything but chat and actually seeing other players wandering around in-game. Loved being able to buff and get buffed by random people. You were able to be always online, if you wanted.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I made a new thread because you're all a bunch of nerds and talked about Pokemon for 100 pages

who does that???

anyway heres the new thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/208586/fight-bag-pokemon-run

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Get in the new thread, Nebby!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

m413XwH.png

[edit] Oops, new thread. Sorry.

ThePantsAssociation on