As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]an Ibrahimovic

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    erauqssidlrowehterauqssidlrowehterauqssidlrowehterauqssidlroweht

21, I'll play a board game with you.

20dfowfypn4q.png

Your turn.

Worst game ever invented?

How about a nice game of chess?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Russia in WW2 is the one that shocks me not only were they a country at the end they were a super power.

The amount of people lost is just insane as a percentage of the population. And it is your most productive members that were lost to.

Top it off Stalin basically killed another huge chunk afterwards.

Looking at the industrialization of Russia in the interwar period is kind of amazing. I did a post in the history thread about Albert Kahn and his role. But they basically embraced the shit out of Fordism and went from having a couple of factories capable of making a dozen tractors a year in the 1920s and no automobile industry to being able to produce about ~300,000 Tanks, SPGs, and other ground vehicles during the war. They went from no aircraft industry to producing over 130,000 planes during the war.

Stalin and the Soviets gave 0 shits about anything but industrializing during that period and they did get it done. It was costly but also probably saved their butts from the Nazis.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wait rome only has 3 million people in it? That seems really low.

Usually for megacities you have to include the metro area.

But we tend to forget a megacity is like like anything over about 2.5 million. Though I think density is probably a better indicator than pure population.

Some of the megacity areas are ridiculous. Like isn't the greater Tokyo area like over 30 million?

Greater Tokyo (so suburbs included) is 37 million people. It has a density of 2,631 people per square kilometer.

To compare to NYC's metro area is 23 million people and a density of 688 people per square kilometer.

But Americans are big and burly s we take up more space

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are still people living in rome.

Cardboard cut outs and mirrors

And the sounds of the crowd in downtown rome are the result of aluminum foil being shaken and a harmonica

They would have gotten away with it without the Scooby gang

A flashlight, a comb, and a wedge of cheese!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Also the pope doesn't live in Rome. Vatican City is its own country.

His title is the Bishop of Rome. I wasn't implying he lived in Rome/Italy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

It's about the same as Paris and Berlin

Then you've got London with 9 million, because London is awful

Man, the DFW has 6.7 million

Suck it, Rome

Rome has about half the geographic area and about 200 times better taste.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Also just doing a quick search the Roman metro area is 4.3 million. So it is pretty decently populated.

810 per square kilometer.

Good density there too.

Boston metro is 5.4 million at a density of 1471 people per square kilometer and I usually think of it as a city on the small end. Probs because the new yorks are close by and never shut up and my definition of big city has been skewed badly by china.

I should recalibrate my expectations of world cities.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Greece is currently losing 2% of its working population (20-65 year olds) per year to emigration because of the dire economy

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

But we tend to forget a megacity is like like anything over about 2.5 million. Though I think density is probably a better indicator than pure population.

Some of the megacity areas are ridiculous. Like isn't the greater Tokyo area like over 30 million?

Greater Tokyo (so suburbs included) is 37 million people. It has a density of 2,631 people per square kilometer.

To compare to NYC's metro area is 23 million people and a density of 688 people per square kilometer.

Having been to both NYC and Tokyo a lot I can say NYC always feels more crowded. Tokyo though in size basically makes NYC look like a small town.

Tokyo though even though it is way more crowded never felt nearly as suffocating to me as NYC does especially Manhattan. Also part of that is Tokyo is clean. Like that smell New York gets in the summer? That isn't a required smell of a big city.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Oh neat, a bunch of computer parts arrived!

One more package and I'll have my new pc built!

dish, mang

what's the deets

Fractal design r5 case

Where have I seen this design before?

oh yes!
    hotel-monolith.jpg

OMG tav

it's full of stars

My desktop computer is called Kubrick on the network.

My home machine is Neuromancer. My NAS is Daedalus and my netbook is Icarus.

Probably not the most original naming convention.

Solaire, Vendrick, Qualana, Alvina. The networks are Nexus (2.4) Firelink (5.0) and Majula (WiFi extender).

Mine is QZX5W.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Greece is currently losing 2% of its working population (20-65 year olds) per year to emigration because of the dire economy

Man

Greece is so fucked.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    this is motivating me to draw.

6087147351553130861.gif?v=5Hyjp-Fx8X6ksZWDlBxH-mB3o16Q_5VTvvj-mH5dt_c%3D

I love this guy's tutorials.

• Options

NO TREBLE

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    no long term problems could result from this

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

but snakes and spiders are adorbs tho

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Chinese cities are ludicrous by the way. Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are all neverending identical highrises 40+ stories high and filled with people. It looks like a straight up sci-fi dystopia. You look out and instead of a distinctive skyline you see a jungle of thick, consistent development.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I still think Tokyo is the world's biggest city. By total population. Crowded wise you get places like Mumbai and Dehli that are just insane in population density. China I think has the most mega cities, makes sense considering they have the most population. India has a few super mega cities reaching that 12 million people plus figure.

The US has really small spread out cities in comparison. We consider 1.5 million in the US a major urban area. Some parts of the world that is a small city/large town.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I generally call my electronics "Dr. [electronic]".

So my PC is "Dr. Desktop", my phone is "Dr. iPhone", and so on.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Having been to both NYC and Tokyo a lot I can say NYC always feels more crowded. Tokyo though in size basically makes NYC look like a small town.

Tokyo though even though it is way more crowded never felt nearly as suffocating to me as NYC does especially Manhattan. Also part of that is Tokyo is clean. Like that smell New York gets in the summer? That isn't a required smell of a big city.

Too many white people. European cities tend to be god damn dingy (although London isn't terrible)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I'd like to live in an old city

America is too new

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

but snakes and spiders are adorbs tho

ENkfxzi.gif

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ugh Why did they make such a terrible costume for Flash

4561320000.jpg

• Options
    Chinese cities are ludicrous by the way. Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are all neverending identical highrises 40+ stories high and filled with people. It looks like a straight up sci-fi dystopia. You look out and instead of a distinctive skyline you see a jungle of thick, consistent development.

Every day I am given more evidence that amateurhour may be the wisest of us all.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I like those designs, but the animations feel jerky and I don't like them at all.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Prague was an interesting experience for me. Partially because I was helping my friend find a place to live while I was there so we went to a lot of the old soviet tenement blocks around the old city. The complete disconnect between the amazing and gorgeous old city of Prague and the Soviet era buildings is stark.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

4561320000.jpg

Yeah, that is weird.

Flash with armor?

• Options

Looking at the wikipedia article on the NYC Metro area it seems a little off. The include the immediate city and surrounding cities but also include as far west as Pike County PA and as far up as Ulster County NY. There's some small cities in those areas but most of that shit is fucking empty countryside

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I've been working from home and instead of enjoying the luxury I realized that all I did yesterday was bounce between twitter and the forums. Mostly twitter and not to read funny tweets. I've been weening myself off the rage cycle regarding the state of the world but haven't done a good job on consuming negativity.

As of now I've just read the headlines and glanced at twitter and now I am going to put my phone down and only use it to glance at chat.

Gotta make myself do this. Things are what they are and refreshing twitter and "waiting for the nukes to hit" is no way to live life.

I mean this is something I've always known intellectually but compulsion and anxiety don't really care for logic. Gotta break the cycle.

I feel like as a person who cares about the world, I can't just "go dark" with the reality around me but this constant input into my brain is accomplishing nothing.

Like I said. Nothing revelatory for anyone. Just using this as a mantra and a sort of decree as letting go of the anger (compared to before anyway) simply hasn't been enough.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    speaking of good pixel art i like crosscode a fair amount

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

4561320000.jpg

Shoulder pads are coming back, just you wait.

• Options

Looking at the wikipedia article on the NYC Metro area it seems a little off. The include the immediate city and surrounding cities but also include as far west as Pike County PA and as far up as Ulster County NY. There's some small cities in those areas but most of that shit is fucking empty countryside

Metro areas include suburbs. You can do metro area or the city itself.

Rome and Tokyo both have stuff you are describing in their metro areas. Most major cities do.

But difference in density is still there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    speaking of good pixel art i like crosscode a fair amount

Is that like crossfit with programming?

GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 50 HASHTABLES MAGOT

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

America is too new
    You could never afford it, move along, millennial.

• Options

America is too new

Live in Boston.

The place reminds me a lot of places I have been in England.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    P Padilla MB. 2007. "Western Union Daddies" and their quest for authenticity: an ethnographic study of the Dominican gay sex tourism industry. Homosex. 53:241-75.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Prague was an interesting experience for me. Partially because I was helping my friend find a place to live while I was there so we went to a lot of the old soviet tenement blocks around the old city. The complete disconnect between the amazing and gorgeous old city of Prague and the Soviet era buildings is stark.

This is how I felt in Bratislava. The city centre is wonderful but you're like 4 blocks away from miserable apartment blocks at any time

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

4561320000.jpg

Yeah, that is weird.

Flash with armor?

can't make him look like Grant Gustin from WB.

Armor that fucker up!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    P Padilla MB. 2007. "Western Union Daddies" and their quest for authenticity: an ethnographic study of the Dominican gay sex tourism industry. Homosex. 53:241-75.

by Chuck Tingle

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

A friend was sent to Chengdu for work and posted some photos. People commented, "Oh, the smog isn't that bad!"

She replied "Actually, Instagram filters" and posted the unfiltered photos D: and also pictures of trees with actual fake leaves attached to them D:D:D:

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I've been working from home and instead of enjoying the luxury I realized that all I did yesterday was bounce between twitter and the forums. Mostly twitter and not to read funny tweets. I've been weening myself off the rage cycle regarding the state of the world but haven't done a good job on consuming negativity.

As of now I've just read the headlines and glanced at twitter and now I am going to put my phone down and only use it to glance at chat.

Gotta make myself do this. Things are what they are and refreshing twitter and "waiting for the nukes to hit" is no way to live life.

I mean this is something I've always known intellectually but compulsion and anxiety don't really care for logic. Gotta break the cycle.

I feel like as a person who cares about the world, I can't just "go dark" with the reality around me but this constant input into my brain is accomplishing nothing.

Like I said. Nothing revelatory for anyone. Just using this as a mantra and a sort of decree as letting go of the anger (compared to before anyway) simply hasn't been enough.

Yeah. You can totally still care about the world and keep your rage card while also not constantly ingesting news and opinions. It's ok to stop actively intaking news for a while (you will end up passively intaking a bunch anyway)--it doesn't mean you accept the state of things, just that you aren't actively twisting the knife (because that doesn't help anyone!)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.