As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I didn't play Horizon 2, but wasn't "this world is boring" generally the sentiment aimed at that one?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh god UnbreakableVow and Knight_ are arguing. I don't know how to deal with this. I'm pretty sure I'm agreeing with UnbreakableVow but it feels SO WRONG.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Now kiss

liEt3nH.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Oh god UnbreakableVow and Knight_ are arguing. I don't know how to deal with this. I'm pretty sure I'm agreeing with UnbreakableVow but it feels SO WRONG.

Like, 2 posts isn't an argument. I just disagree and it's done, lol.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Decided to just go ahead and write up my game of the year stuff, since it doesn't look like Dishonored or Deus Ex will be making any impact on the list as it stands. I ended up writing a lot more than I expected, and i'm still not sure about that #10 one but I need to talk about that game in some end-of-the-year capacity and so this may as well be it.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I actually played a ton of new games this year, far more than I usually do (though conversely, I also played far less games from my backlog). There were a few disappointments (Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Deus Ex MD and especially Zero Time Dilemma) but overall, it was a pretty awesome year:

1. The Last Guardian
    2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    3. The Witness
    4. Dragon Quest Builders
    5. Pokemon Sun
    6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Spirit of Justice
    7. Ratchet & Clank
    8. Alone With You
    9. Final Fantasy XV
    10. Oxenfree
    Runners up: World of Final Fantasy, ABZU and Inside

The only contender I've yet to finish before the PA and GAF GOTY voting is Bound, which I'm hoping to get done this week.

The Witness' entry on GB threw me for a loop at first, it's like they made it back in 2011 or 2012 and forgot to update it. It's not a 2013 game, nor is it on the PS3 or 360.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh right, Pokemon Go. I guess it was fun for the few days I was going for walks and meeting strangers in the street playing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pokémon Go was a sweet proof-of-concept for something that might be a good game in the next ten years.

Though, "This world is boring" is the criticism Jeff aimed at it. Jeff doesn't actually like racing games.

The world in FH2 is fine, and the tracks are far superior. 90% of FH3 tracks are basically ovals with some houses or water in the way. Maybe one or two sharp turns. They have little to no braking, ensuring the best way to win is to just shove as many engine upgrades into your car as you can and sit on the gas for 4 minutes.

I guess if you were looking for burnout, FH3 is probably better than 2. But as someone who wanted an Simcadey racing game in an open world like FH2 with actual racing mechanics, it's a profoundly disappointing game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Simcade is a stretch. None of the Forza Horizon games drive like anything approaching a sim. My feelings about them are probably a bit biased since I do quite a bit of actual simracing, but they feel full on arcade to me. Not that I don't enjoy them, they just feel nothing like a sim to me even with all the assists off. Far too floaty.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I still got a few titles I'm playing through or need to play though, but right now my top ten is probably

10. Lego Marvel's the Avengers - Kind of a retread, but these are still solid games that I enjoy getting 100% in. Titles like ReCore, Song of the Deep or Quantum Break could have taken this spot, but I had serious issues with all three games so Avengers get's the #10 spot.
    9. Headlander - This game has great style, and is fun to play. I felt the ending left too much unresolved, and there's one collectible that requires you to do something that nowhere else in the game are you taught or expected to do, which is annoying, but overall I had a lot of fun with this.
    8. Inside - The fun little puzzle platformer with fascinating world, and the sequence towards the end of the game is definitely one of the most memorable moments of the year. However
    Unlike some people, I hated the ending, and it REALLY took away a lot of the impact of that end sequence from me, which is why this isn't higher on the list.
    7. Far Cry Primal - This is based on a formulaic series, but the wrapper made it feel fresh, IMO. Throwing spears, calling in Giant Owl attacks and riding a fucking BEAR. It doesn't break the mold or anything, but is was a rowdy good time.
    6. Grow up - Chillest game of the year. You're basically just wandering around, grabbing collectibles and climbing shit, but it feels pressure free as hell. Even the timed races feel low-pressure. Great game to toss a podcast on while you play and just relax. Also the artstyle is still great, and the new world and abilities you get make this a great follow-up to the original.
    5. Superhot - I wasn't as enamored with this as other people (and the meme portion of it was kind of ruined for me since my PC was dead when it first came out) but it's still a fun game with an incredible mechanic and a neat storyline.
    4. Gears of War 4 - This was a pretty good entry in one of my favorite franchises. I'm worried they're going to run out of unique setpieces for these games in the future, but this one still brings it. Multiplayer is pretty good if your into it, and the new Horde mode class mechanics are crazy. Locking class abilities behind blind boxes is super shitty though. The new team at the Coalition still has a lot of room to improve, but they made a solid as hell Gears of War game.
    3. The Witness - An amazing puzzle game; one that really pushed my brain to the limits and made me absolutely refuse to look anything up because dammit, this game ain't gonna beat me! Might have been my #2 game, but I felt the subtext from the developer was a bit patronizing.
    2. Titanfall 2 - An incredible campaign that reminded me why I love shooter campaigns. Fantastic setpieces, and your Titan is a great character that manages to walk the fine line between literalist robot and a friend you can make jokes with. Can't wait to see where they go with this in the future. I didn't get into the MP, but man, what a campaign. Second only to...
    1. Doom - God. Damn. Doom works on so many levels. It's a fitting tribute to the original, provides a shooter campaign unlike anything we've gotten in years, and good lord it's just an incredibly fun game to play. Also, I like the multiplayer and sunk tons of hours into it. Definitely my game of the year. Hot damn.

Special Mention to No Man's Sky as "Hardest to Place". Game has serious flaws and the marketing felt deceptive... yet I still sunk dozens of hours into it. Granted a lot of that was just running around while listening to podcasts, doing the INTERMINABLE quest to the center of the galaxy. (I know the "reward" sucks, but it was like the last thing I had to do.) I was pretty much done with it by then, and haven't bothered checking out the latest patch. There's something to NMS, but it feels like an Early Access game that was released a year too early.

Worst Game of the Year: Bombshell - Like, this game already had a rocky start as a Duke Nukem game that had to have Duke Nukem taken out of it due to licensing issues, so he gets replaced with a detritus character that was cut out of Duke Nukem Forever. And that reveal trailer.. Holy god it looked bad. Then you get the game and you can SEE the potential. Had the game had a lot more polish, some better VO (it's seriously atrocious) and realized that hanging a lampshade on a shitty storyline only works if your funny about it, it might have been a decent game. Also, the only character in the game that's even partially likable basically gets killed, and nobody really even mentions it. Just a real bummer.

I still have Firewatch, Shadow Warrior 2, Picross 3D 2 and Shiny to get through, so my list may change by then. We'll see.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm glad someone else liked far cry primal. I hated 4 and could barely get through it, so when I started up primal I was not expecting a different coat of paint to make such a difference, but It somehow definitely did. The lack of guns and the theme just felt so refreshing. On console the graphics also looked way better than 4's, they definitely got better at the engine in the interim. Felt kind of like the assassins creed syndicate to 4's Unity for me

Prohass on
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Simcade is a stretch. None of the Forza Horizon games drive like anything approaching a sim. My feelings about them are probably a bit biased since I do quite a bit of actual simracing, but they feel full on arcade to me. Not that I don't enjoy them, they just feel nothing like a sim to me even with all the assists off. Far too floaty.

Horizon 3 is really bad on this front yea. Even the crappiest tires in the game have a ton of grip even offroad so you can just do whatever. Horizon 2 was similar, but they messed with the base grip and tire PI amounts and really snapped the game in half in the process.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, I'm really glad they've gone the route they did then

They still have the standard Forza series for people that want that

If someone made a racing game where I have to worry about tire pressure and they expect me to enjoy it, they've fucked up

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2016
    Except all it means is that handling is trash and the more horsepower you throw into your car the better it is. Basically they made Mario Kart without items. Heavier the driver the better.

To me, FH3 is the version of Doom that was basically CoD. Even if it was great, it wouldn't have been Doom. And I can recognize FH3 is a well made game, but to me it's not a Forza game like the previous 8.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Speaking of Doom (and shooters)

This really was a damn fine year

Titanfall 2, the game with the best FPS campaign I've ever played, couldn't even land in my top ten

Titanfall 2 and Doom were also games I thought would be bad and then were not

Speaking of Doom (and shooters)

This really was a damn fine year

Titanfall 2, the game with the best FPS campaign I've ever played, couldn't even land in my top ten

Titanfall 2 and Doom were also games I thought would be bad and then were not

This year not only had a lot of great shooters; it had some incredible variety.

Far Cry Primal had you running through a primeval world with animal companions and primitive weaponry.

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 was a cartoonish shooter with colorful, crazy characters.

Superhot was a stylized computerscape that had you fighting your way through crazy VR simulations with a hell of a mechanical hook.

The Division was a loot driven shoot that took place in a quarentined Manhatten

Quantum Break was a cover shooter with an emphasis on time manipulation powers and time travel.

Battleborn was a cartoonish MOBA style shooter with crazy characters

Doom was a fast paced slaughter of demons on Mars and Hell.

Homefront: the Revolution was a near future-ish shooter that took place in an America conquered by North Korea

Overwatch was a character based mp shooter that is basically a Superhero comic

ReCore was a dusty lock-on shooter where you fight animalistic, corrupted robots with the help of your own bot buddies

Gears of War 4 was a covershooter where you fight both the robot army of a fascist government, as well as a super gross set of mutant monsters.

Shadow Warrior 2 is a loot shooter that blends guns, melee and magic with a coop campaign in the style of Diablo.

Battlefield One was a big team based shooter set during World War 1

Titanfall 2 was a far future setting where evil earth is at war with noble colonialists, where both men and robots duke it out on the battlefield. Also you get an awesome robot pal.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare was a far future setting where noble earth is at war with evil colonialists, where both men and robots duke it out on the battlefield. Also there are space battles.

Out of all of those, CoD: IW and TF2 were probably the closest in concept, and they're both wildly different in playstyle. Homefront: the Revolution and the Division are probably the the only two that could be remotely considered "modern military" (Excepting, of course, the MW remaster.)

This was a pretty good year for shooters. Probably the best year since 2007. Maybe even 2004.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    My 2016 top ten:

2906800-my_topten_goty_2016.png

Honorary not-quite-GOTY: Grow up. Can't say it better than @Undead Scottsman.
    6. Grow up - Chillest game of the year. You're basically just wandering around, grabbing collectibles and climbing shit, but it feels pressure free as hell. Even the timed races feel low-pressure. Great game to toss a podcast on while you play and just relax. Also the artstyle is still great, and the new world and abilities you get make this a great follow-up to the original.
    Most Disappointing (for miraculously, somehow, making space exploration/my childhood dreams super boring, when it isn't): No Man's Sky.
    Again, someone else has stated it better than I could (also I'm lazy/busy):
    It's the game everyone loves to hate! I don't hate this game and, in fact, at the beginning of my experience with this game I liked it quite a lot. Like seemingly everyone else, I was pretty excited at the concept of this game. But when I heard it was a survival game my excitement went down considerably. I had never played a survival game to be fair but everything I knew and had seen of the survival genre made me think I would hate it. But, I bought it because the concept seemed so intriguing and I really, really wanted to know what was at the centre of the galaxy. Again, at the beginning, it was kind of neat. Building up your ship, exploring planets, seeing the boundaries of the game's systems. It was all very interesting. Then the game hits a flow. An extremely formulaic flow. An extremely, completely unchanging, mind numbingly formulaic flow. Every now and again I have the thought "why am I spending so much time with games when there is no real, tangible carrot at the end of the stick?" but usually fight against that thought with "this is my leisure time and leisure time doesn't need to produce a concrete end product", "the experience itself is worth the time investment", etc. etc. But there was nothing I could come up with that could fight that thought when I played this game. After about 10-15 hours of doing the exact same thing with what seemed like no end in sight, I looked up the ending of the game to satiate my curiosity of what was actually at the center of the galaxy. I won't spoil it, but I don't think it's hyperbole for me to say that it might be the worst ending to a game that I've ever seen. I would have rather had seen a black background with white text saying 'congratulations'. They wouldn't have even needed to spell 'congratulations' correctly. If you felt, like I did, that the game's flow amounted to a never ending Sisyphean torture wait till you see the ending. It paints the entire game as a Sisyphean torture. Actually that's what they should have called it; Sisyphean torture.
    Brexit, Syria, Trump, NMS. That's just how disappointing it feels, in comparison. Thanks 2016! :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

If someone made a racing game where I have to worry about tire pressure and they expect me to enjoy it, they've fucked up

There are far better things than Forza to play if you want a serious racing experience where things like tire pressures matter. Not throwing shade at Forza, I like Forza, but it's more of a gateway drug than the full on spoon full of drugs.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I haven't played a single racing game since the likes of Burnout, NFS Most Wanted and NFS Shift. I enjoy those games but I'm not huge on them (and I've engaged in racing simulators but I'm not huge on those either), and for me Forza Horizon 3 is probably one of the best racing games I've ever played. It's nowhere near the most accurate, but I think it's perfectly positioned in a generation of games that strives so hard to be super-duper serious about achieving its shit.

Unlike a bunch of other games of its genre, it's a love letter not only to the sheer concept of sportsball or drivecar, but to the games that came prior to it. I smile when I drive an XJ220 or a Maclaren F1 not because I think they're fucking cool as fuck cars (even though they are), but because I get flashbacks to playing Need For Speed II. It's appropriate given Playground Games' pedigree, and they always like to lean onto that nostalgia factor even without having ownership of those properties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O1OrTcfqBI
    (not actually Horizon 3, but same difference)

Jeff himself mentioned that Forza Horizon 3 is a better game overall than Horizon 2, which I think is probably fair, and in the current world of racing games I think it's one of the few that celebrate racing games as well as racing itself. As a footnote, I think its win at The Game Awards over all the other nominations in its category was well-deserved

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

There are far better things than Forza to play if you want a serious racing experience where things like tire pressures matter. Not throwing shade at Forza, I like Forza, but it's more of a gateway drug than the full on spoon full of drugs.

There are times when I seriously think about getting a wheel setup and sub to iRacing but then stop myself thinking no dude what are you doing this is a bad road.

but that wheel tho

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

There are times when I seriously think about getting a wheel setup and sub to iRacing but then stop myself thinking no dude what are you doing this is a bad road.

but that wheel tho

The money I spent on a Fanatec setup years ago was absolutely worth it. Their stuff has gotten a lot more expensive and nicer in the following years though. A wheel, pedals, stand, etc setup is a serious investment, but if you really enjoy playing racing games, really want to get better/more competitive, and can afford it go for it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Horizon 3 ruined the Horizon series by totally breaking PI balance in a world with incredibly boring tracks compared to Horizon 2.

Horizon 3 is the first Forza title to ever burn me, a person who bought an XB1 only to play Forza games and played hundreds of hours of Horizon 2. It's maybe my disappointment of the generation so far.
    how does it feel to be more wrong than @UnbreakableVow has ever been in any post he has ever made?

I suspect it feels bad but I wouldn't know

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

but that wheel tho

Don't buy a racing wheel.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

but that wheel tho

Alternatively, buy a racing wheel.

Just ask yourself, what would Vinny do?

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Horizon 3 ruined the Horizon series by totally breaking PI balance in a world with incredibly boring tracks compared to Horizon 2.

Horizon 3 is the first Forza title to ever burn me, a person who bought an XB1 only to play Forza games and played hundreds of hours of Horizon 2. It's maybe my disappointment of the generation so far.
    how does it feel to be more wrong than UnbreakableVow has ever been in any post he has ever made?

Shrug. I've played probably a few thousand hours of various Forza games over the years, and this game has design choices that remove the fun for me. I like to race small, light, low power RWD cars, all of which are usually 20 to 30 seconds slower over a race for equal PI in Horizon 3 due to a combination of grip balance and track design. It's similar to the AWD era of Forza 3, or the corresponding AWD nightmare that was 4 and 5, but worse due to the lack of private lobby customization.

I acknowledge that it's a good, well built game. If I was objectively reviewing it in old Gamespot style, it's clearly an 8+. But it's not a game for me. Disappointing doesn't mean bad! I spent all summer extremely excited to get back to another Horizon after the hundreds of hours of fun I had in single and multiplayer with 2. I geeked out in the Forza thread about being able to customize license plates, and maybe being allowed to put text on tires in my designs and body kits and all manner of dumb things.

But I don't enjoy the game they made. That's disappointment.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

but that wheel tho

Alternatively, buy a racing wheel.

Just ask yourself, what would Vinny do?

Build a shelving unit from scratch and then write a song about it?

Number One Tricky
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think the thing to understand about Forza Horizon as a series, is that it is almost specifically designed not to appeal to the normal Forza fan. It's not arcadey necessarily, but it's definitely not the hardcore sim of it's bigger brother and I think it's more a way for them to take the framework and everything that they build super serious for the main series and apply it to something a little more friendly to someone that just wants to drive cars.

I don't even buy the main Motorsport games because Horizon is so much more enjoyable for me.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

how does it feel to be more wrong than UnbreakableVow has ever been in any post he has ever made?

Shrug. I've played probably a few thousand hours of various Forza games over the years, and this game has design choices that remove the fun for me. I like to race small, light, low power RWD cars, all of which are usually 20 to 30 seconds slower over a race for equal PI in Horizon 3 due to a combination of grip balance and track design. It's similar to the AWD era of Forza 3, or the corresponding AWD nightmare that was 4 and 5, but worse due to the lack of private lobby customization.

I acknowledge that it's a good, well built game. If I was objectively reviewing it in old Gamespot style, it's clearly an 8+. But it's not a game for me. Disappointing doesn't mean bad! I spent all summer extremely excited to get back to another Horizon after the hundreds of hours of fun I had in single and multiplayer with 2. I geeked out in the Forza thread about being able to customize license plates, and maybe being allowed to put text on tires in my designs and body kits and all manner of dumb things.

But I don't enjoy the game they made. That's disappointment.
    Oh, so it's me and Dark Souls 3 then. Objectively a fantastic game, but oh my god does the entire experience just feel like they took so much of what made the first two games enjoyable for me out. Definitely my biggest disappointment of the year, just because I had so much hope for it.

I kinda really hope Pac-Man CE 2 gets a mention in most disappointing this year

Because hoo fucking boy

CE and CE DX are certified gold and CE 2 is such a total shitshow

It's hard to believe it even came from the same developer (well, I'm assuming it did, I guess)

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    As someone who looked at one of those games at first glance and went "psssh, how much better could they make fuckin' Pac-Man", I don't think I'd be overall disappointed by any One of Those Games.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    Oh man

If you have an Xbox 360 or One you should really play CE or DX

The answer to your question is "so, so, so much better"

I remember playing something! Too busy eating entire legions of ghosts to remember which one. Had that sensation very akin to dropping a massive, satisfying load.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

There will be video versions as well.

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I kinda really hope Pac-Man CE 2 gets a mention in most disappointing this year

Because hoo fucking boy

CE and CE DX are certified gold and CE 2 is such a total shitshow

It's hard to believe it even came from the same developer (well, I'm assuming it did, I guess)

Last year Most Disappointing went to Toy Soldiers for not using old cartoon licenses well

"A bad version of Pac Man" seems like exactly the sort of thing that would hit Giant Bomb's Most Disappointing list

Ceno wrote: »

Well, I ain't getting shit done that week.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

Well, I ain't getting shit done that week.

Yeah my wife and kid are out of town that week, and no one else will be at work, so all I need to do is decide whether I want to indulge in the video form or stick with the traditional podcast. Hearing Brad pounding on a table while yelling about *insert artistic indie platformer* will probably be less rage-inducing than watching Brad pound on a table while yelling about *insert artistic indie platformer*.

Wasn't the game that came out this year a sequel to PacMan CE and not PacMan CE DX, the game Ryan and a bunch of other people actually liked?

steam_sig.png

Oh man, I hope that doesn't mean Drew/Jason (Vinny?) were distracted having to switch cameras and whatnot during deliberations.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.