As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]an Ibrahimovic

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yay snow! Means people driving on my ass and passing me in non passing zones. At least it warmed up a bit.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Chinese cities are ludicrous by the way. Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are all neverending identical highrises 40+ stories high and filled with people. It looks like a straight up sci-fi dystopia. You look out and instead of a distinctive skyline you see a jungle of thick, consistent development.

it's a function of the poor land planning and compressed development timescale, I think

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    speaking of good pixel art i like crosscode a fair amount

Is that like crossfit with programming?

GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 50 HASHTABLES MAGOT
    it's a video game

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    "Why did DC do something awful?"

Because at this point they just can't help themselves

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ugh Why did they make such a terrible costume for Flash

[img]http://i0.wp .com/ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/4561320000.jpg[/img]

superhero aesthetic is awful fyi hth

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also just doing a quick search the Roman metro area is 4.3 million. So it is pretty decently populated.

810 per square kilometer.

Good density there too.

Boston metro is 5.4 million at a density of 1471 people per square kilometer and I usually think of it as a city on the small end. Probs because the new yorks are close by and never shut up and my definition of big city has been skewed badly by china.

I should recalibrate my expectations of world cities.

Boston is a weird hybrid of like a college town and a city that only feels like a world city because of the T.

*never shuts up*

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Wait rome only has 3 million people in it? That seems really low.

Usually for megacities you have to include the metro area.

But we tend to forget a megacity is like like anything over about 2.5 million. Though I think density is probably a better indicator than pure population.

Some of the megacity areas are ridiculous. Like isn't the greater Tokyo area like over 30 million?

Greater Tokyo (so suburbs included) is 37 million people. It has a density of 2,631 people per square kilometer.

To compare to NYC's metro area is 23 million people and a density of 688 people per square kilometer.

But Americans are big and burly s we take up more space

Having been to both NYC and Tokyo a lot I can say NYC always feels more crowded. Tokyo though in size basically makes NYC look like a small town.

Tokyo though even though it is way more crowded never felt nearly as suffocating to me as NYC does especially Manhattan. Also part of that is Tokyo is clean. Like that smell New York gets in the summer? That isn't a required smell of a big city.

Looking at the wikipedia article on the NYC Metro area it seems a little off. The include the immediate city and surrounding cities but also include as far west as Pike County PA and as far up as Ulster County NY. There's some small cities in those areas but most of that shit is fucking empty countryside

Metro areas include suburbs. You can do metro area or the city itself.

Rome and Tokyo both have stuff you are describing in their metro areas. Most major cities do.

But difference in density is still there.

The Boston metro area thing that I found was just the land inside of 495, the city's outer ring highway. That was a lot more sensible than the other "greater metro" areas which were gigantic and stretched halfway across the state and into new hampshire.

For NYC it's a lot less clear cut where to stop if you're going by density. You'd end up with a blobby thing including a bunch of jersey.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    and the small lot sizes. that too.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Prague was an interesting experience for me. Partially because I was helping my friend find a place to live while I was there so we went to a lot of the old soviet tenement blocks around the old city. The complete disconnect between the amazing and gorgeous old city of Prague and the Soviet era buildings is stark.

I found that in Berlin, going from West to East was like going to a different city, architecture wise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I've been working from home and instead of enjoying the luxury I realized that all I did yesterday was bounce between twitter and the forums. Mostly twitter and not to read funny tweets. I've been weening myself off the rage cycle regarding the state of the world but haven't done a good job on consuming negativity.

As of now I've just read the headlines and glanced at twitter and now I am going to put my phone down and only use it to glance at chat.

Gotta make myself do this. Things are what they are and refreshing twitter and "waiting for the nukes to hit" is no way to live life.

I mean this is something I've always known intellectually but compulsion and anxiety don't really care for logic. Gotta break the cycle.

I feel like as a person who cares about the world, I can't just "go dark" with the reality around me but this constant input into my brain is accomplishing nothing.

Like I said. Nothing revelatory for anyone. Just using this as a mantra and a sort of decree as letting go of the anger (compared to before anyway) simply hasn't been enough.

Channel your anger into handling my anger about my Surface network adapter failing and being forced to to into the office and work like a sucker

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Crosscode is an excellent game.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Also I apologize to anyone who was offended by my shoot the messenger joke yesterday. I really only meant it as a play on the fact that messengers aren't always innocent of fault.

Ironically I guess I sent the wrong message.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Ugh Why did they make such a terrible costume for Flash

4561320000.jpg
    frankly these costume designs make no sense at all

why would you make Wonder Woman have the skimpiest costume instead of Ezra Miller

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

But we tend to forget a megacity is like like anything over about 2.5 million. Though I think density is probably a better indicator than pure population.

Some of the megacity areas are ridiculous. Like isn't the greater Tokyo area like over 30 million?

Greater Tokyo (so suburbs included) is 37 million people. It has a density of 2,631 people per square kilometer.

To compare to NYC's metro area is 23 million people and a density of 688 people per square kilometer.

Having been to both NYC and Tokyo a lot I can say NYC always feels more crowded. Tokyo though in size basically makes NYC look like a small town.

Tokyo though even though it is way more crowded never felt nearly as suffocating to me as NYC does especially Manhattan. Also part of that is Tokyo is clean. Like that smell New York gets in the summer? That isn't a required smell of a big city.

Looking at the wikipedia article on the NYC Metro area it seems a little off. The include the immediate city and surrounding cities but also include as far west as Pike County PA and as far up as Ulster County NY. There's some small cities in those areas but most of that shit is fucking empty countryside

Metro areas include suburbs. You can do metro area or the city itself.

Rome and Tokyo both have stuff you are describing in their metro areas. Most major cities do.

But difference in density is still there.

The Boston metro area thing that I found was just the land inside of 495, the city's outer ring highway. That was a lot more sensible than the other "greater metro" areas which were gigantic and stretched halfway across the state and into new hampshire.

For NYC it's a lot less clear cut where to stop if you're going by density. You'd end up with a blobby thing including a bunch of jersey.

The unofficial city lines is hard. Do you base it off of percent of population working in the city? Or a set number of miles? A set number of counties? It can get really hard depending on the region.

Some places like Denver are easy. Just use RTD+Douglas County. That is basically all the countries that contribute to the Denver public transportation system and Douglas which has a huge suburb of workers but due to politically fuck muppetry doesn't like to contribute.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

it's a video game

great music damn

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    60% of Bostons population is actually Tom Brady jerseys

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Trying to sell vidya games on ebay I wonder who the hell actually buys games at $60, given that brand new games that just came out are going sealed in box for $37

my profit maarggiinnns

shit I might keep watch dogs 2 for that price, looks like I can still get at least $45 for last guardian and dishonored 2 royal protector edition

override367 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chinese cities are ludicrous by the way. Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen are all neverending identical highrises 40+ stories high and filled with people. It looks like a straight up sci-fi dystopia. You look out and instead of a distinctive skyline you see a jungle of thick, consistent development.

A friend was sent to Chengdu for work and posted some photos. People commented, "Oh, the smog isn't that bad!"

She replied "Actually, Instagram filters" and posted the unfiltered photos D: and also pictures of trees with actual fake leaves attached to them D:D:D:

In shanghai they have to send out cleaning crews to hose down the fake trees regularly to get all the soot off them, otherwise they start looking dingy after a few days. It is a land of nightmares for sure.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am still sick. This sucks.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    my only complaint is the circuit system is kinda eh (it seems like maybe some of the more impactful circuit choices aren't implemented yet?)
    oh and i guess i don't really like the rpg aspects, but its already pretty rpg lite in that you can do everything even underleveled, it just takes forever and you have little to no room for error

but i am otherwise shocked at how good it is and thus far it has felt amazingly complete for an early access and what a steal at $20

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

it's a video game

This is pretty dope. I'm diggin it!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ohh i wonder if the game prices cratered because they probably wont ship by christmas hmm

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I've been working from home and instead of enjoying the luxury I realized that all I did yesterday was bounce between twitter and the forums. Mostly twitter and not to read funny tweets. I've been weening myself off the rage cycle regarding the state of the world but haven't done a good job on consuming negativity.

As of now I've just read the headlines and glanced at twitter and now I am going to put my phone down and only use it to glance at chat.

Gotta make myself do this. Things are what they are and refreshing twitter and "waiting for the nukes to hit" is no way to live life.

I mean this is something I've always known intellectually but compulsion and anxiety don't really care for logic. Gotta break the cycle.

I feel like as a person who cares about the world, I can't just "go dark" with the reality around me but this constant input into my brain is accomplishing nothing.

Like I said. Nothing revelatory for anyone. Just using this as a mantra and a sort of decree as letting go of the anger (compared to before anyway) simply hasn't been enough.

Channel your anger into handling my anger about my Surface network adapter failing and being forced to to into the office and work like a sucker

Why didn't you just go to a big box store and get a USB network adapter? Wireless/ethernet they make both

$30ish is waaay better than going into the office

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well at least I got good grades this semester, apparently the secret is only taking 4 classes at a time so I can spend 8 hours on the internet and still have time to do my homework. #millennialprotips

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Flash looks like he should be on a lead or something.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The premise of Crosscode of "amnesiac future!MMO player" doesn't sound great to me. Does it surpass its premise?

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Well at least I got good grades this semester, apparently the secret is only taking 4 classes at a time so I can spend 8 hours on the internet and still have time to do my homework. #millennialprotips
    this was my strategy for school

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

A friend was sent to Chengdu for work and posted some photos. People commented, "Oh, the smog isn't that bad!"

She replied "Actually, Instagram filters" and posted the unfiltered photos D: and also pictures of trees with actual fake leaves attached to them D:D:D:

In shanghai they have to send out cleaning crews to hose down the fake trees regularly to get all the soot off them, otherwise they start looking dingy after a few days. It is a land of nightmares for sure.

Yikes

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    my only complaint is the circuit system is kinda eh (it seems like maybe some of the more impactful circuit choices aren't implemented yet?)
    oh and i guess i don't really like the rpg aspects, but its already pretty rpg lite in that you can do everything even underleveled, it just takes forever and you have little to no room for error

but i am otherwise shocked at how good it is and thus far it has felt amazingly complete for an early access and what a steal at $20

I guess unless I play it's just a demo? it's pretty cool I must say, and I could play it at work

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    This recipe calls for a flame proof roasting pan. As opposed to... a flammable one?

• Options
    oh haha it is of course already on my steam wishlist

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Why didn't you just go to a big box store and get a USB network adapter? Wireless/ethernet they make both

$30ish is waaay better than going into the office
    I did order one on Amazon, yeah. Hopefully the spotty USB won't be an issue.

If I went to a big box store I might as well have gone to work...

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Flash's armor is held together with ... metal wire?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I actually visited Shenzhen when I was a babby. Less than 100,000 people lived there, 0 high rises.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I don't know what my coworker is doing or what her angle is but she is is being exceptionally creepy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I need to get my institution to subscribe to Homosex.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Man, can't wait till this Friday which I get off (technically a floating holiday--sort of, but only to be floated elsewhere in this pay period, so not very useful). Going to finally set up my new computer! Question: what's the best way to back up my old computer? It is my windows desktop (running windows 7) which is only used for gaming. It has saved games and a few documents that I'd want to carry over; not much else, I guess. Should I hunt down savegame locations and the couple of documents I want and upload them temporarily to some online backup service, or...?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Where were you in Manhattan? There are a few hot spots that are always ludicrous most of the rest is pretty calm

• Options
    wafflesmageewafflesmagee I like pancakes. Registered User regular
    My Munchlax evolved. He is longer a cute like monster. :( Now he's a giant Snorlax. Dang it.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It is interesting how the list of most populous city changes when you do it by proper city instead of metro area. Shanghai gets number 1 at 20 million but you get places like Lagos and Karachi up at the top. Tokyo is at the 8th on that list. NYC is 23 after London. Well below like Mexico City and Moscow.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.