As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City [chat]

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is it still pie if it's not in a pie dish

no it's cobbler

oh man this sounds exactly like the kind of conversation chat loves

buckle up boiz

I subscribe to the patently incorrect view that the only difference between pie and cobbler is shape.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    no, no phone case ever

N O G U N N Y S A C K S

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    lasagna is just cake made with the wrong ingredients

It's cheesecake

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    LlVnLGw.jpg?1

if that's your phone. . .

how did you take the picture.

what kind of wizardry is this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/cmwov/hey_reddit_what_tattoos_do_you_have/c0tpyls/

I. . .hm.

steam_sig.png
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Victoria is very pretty
    Moana is an adorable movie
    I have been informed that LGBTQ is now properly LGBTQIA so now I'm a little more progressive because being progressive is a series of trivia challenges

Time to go watch that star wars movie that everyone's making O faces about!

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Even though I am not a huge fan of cities the action and demography of urbanization does interest me. There are all sorts of cycles with it but overall through history, especially the 20th and 21st centuries, a real push on a population level to increase urbanization.

Of course the base economic reasons are pretty obvious. Centralization of production and so on.

But then when you think about it, a lot of modern urbanization was about the industrial revolution and industrial work. As we move towards automation and needing fewer people to keep a city running will there be a possible reversing of the current course? As there will be less need for the centralization of a work force as a major driver for populations collecting into a single space.

I just read the other day that the trend is projected to continue

I guess today about half of the world's population lives in cities -- projected to increase to 70% by 2050

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/10/19/70-world-population-be-cities-2050-un-study.html

I wonder if that's the case in more developed countries though

we need to develop a second electoral college to further protect us from the looming threat of cities

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Isn't Los Angeles a mega city at this point? Or are we not dense enough.

LA is one of the largest cities in the US. You are a megacity.

Also I was looking at a census presentation from 2010 showing the differences from 1940 to 2010 in pops.

In 1940 there were no cities over 500,000 in Texas or most of the West. St. Louis did have over 500,000 though.

In 2010 Texas has multiple cities but St. Louis is below 500,000 in the city proper.

Population shifts!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    here's what is gonna be the real hard decision: the damage is mostly to the screen, but there are a couple of small but rough-feeling, nasty looking dings on the case

And I think I'm gonna have a choice between being financially responsible and replacing the screen ($30) or being a shallow spendthrift and fixing the whole phone ($100)

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

counterpoint: lasagna is better than cake

Even though I am not a huge fan of cities the action and demography of urbanization does interest me. There are all sorts of cycles with it but overall through history, especially the 20th and 21st centuries, a real push on a population level to increase urbanization.

Of course the base economic reasons are pretty obvious. Centralization of production and so on.

But then when you think about it, a lot of modern urbanization was about the industrial revolution and industrial work. As we move towards automation and needing fewer people to keep a city running will there be a possible reversing of the current course? As there will be less need for the centralization of a work force as a major driver for populations collecting into a single space.

I guess today about half of the world's population lives in cities -- projected to increase to 70% by 2050

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/10/19/70-world-population-be-cities-2050-un-study.html

we need to develop a second electoral college to further protect us from the looming threat of cities

in 2100, 5 hermits in a commune in west virgina elect the president directly while the rest of the nation watches

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pecasagna

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Pakistan isn't a huge country in population size overall. Especially compared to its neighbors. But it has two of the most populated "proper" cities in the world. That was fun to learn today.

tbf, trying to compare population of proper cities doesn't mean much

like yeah technically NYC ends at the borders of the five boroughs

but NYC doesn't really end there

trying to compare city sizes in a meaningful way is a little sticky

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    another day of nothing at work

bleh. can't imagine they're gonna keep me on unless things change or they just want the security for when shit does get busy.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The mods should ban threads about free speech.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    it's weird

growing up I borderline hated my dad

but now, all grown up and with kids, I find him to be the most reasonable one out of my parents and porps parents

trollface.jpg

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Does a population area really count as a megacity until it has judges patrolling it?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The mods should ban threads about free speech.

am i being detained

919UOwT.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions

It still is in the US at least. We have been constantly urbanizing through a lot of our history.

Though a lot of these studies and models, I worked with one in grad school, take a lot of assumptions on economics and technology moving and working a similar fashion.

If you remove the economic incentive of urbanization will we as a species continue to urbanize?

Though I would say the shift backwards, if it occurs, will probably be after we are dead and more in our grandchildren/great grandchildren's lifetime when we are in a much more automated society and some of the social upheaval of that is settled.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Pakistan isn't a huge country in population size overall. Especially compared to its neighbors. But it has two of the most populated "proper" cities in the world. That was fun to learn today.

Like in LA nobody refers to just Los Angeles as the city. More often than not you'll hear people refer to the actual city limits as LA proper and everything else is LA

no, no phone case ever

N O G U N N Y S A C K S

im fond of those rubbery cases that only cover the back and not the front, but they protrude enough from the front that if you drop a phone face down the case is impacted before the screen

many drops, only one cracked phone and that one lived a 4-5 year life before that so

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Does a population area really count as a megacity until it has judges patrolling it?

Policeman already shoot people dead without real repercussions. All they need is the title.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I found a recipe for a 13x9 pecan pie.

Do I?

Do I dare?

what's that like 100,000 calories?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    no, no phone case ever

N O G U N N Y S A C K S

im fond of those rubbery cases that only cover the back and not the front, but they protrude enough from the front that if you drop a phone face down the case is impacted before the screen

many drops, only one cracked phone and that one lived a 4-5 year life before that so

raw

dog

it's weird

but now, all grown up and with kids, I find him to be the most reasonable one out of my parents and porps parents

Oh yeah I had some thoughts the other day

Does @porp ever lie? Next time she lies, you should call it "porpaganda."

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Isn't Los Angeles a mega city at this point? Or are we not dense enough.

LA is one of the largest cities in the US. You are a megacity.

Also I was looking at a census presentation from 2010 showing the differences from 1940 to 2010 in pops.

In 1940 there were no cities over 500,000 in Texas or most of the West. St. Louis did have over 500,000 though.

In 2010 Texas has multiple cities but St. Louis is below 500,000 in the city proper.

Population shifts!

Memphis overtook St. Louis for the first time since the civil war p recently

fuck gendered marketing
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

Do I?

Do I dare?

I assume this measurement in in feet

GDI I almost laughed coffee out my nose.

I was already discussing this earlier.

Though even if you add in the NYC metro area to it Karachi I think is still slightly bigger. I know Tokyo and Shanghai still dwarf NYC. Wiki uses the ~20 million estimate for NYC metro which is still smaller than some of the other major city metros like Delhi or Shanghai.

Quick googling shows NYC is 14th.

u7stthr17eud.png

in economic area sure. But even the large parts of the outer parts of the boroughs are pretty dang suburban.

it's weird

Does porp ever lie? Next time she lies, you should call it "porpaganda."

she doesn't lie so much as berate me with the untruth

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

or cake is pie made without lasagna ingredients

[/scanners.gif]

Houn wrote: »

Do I?

Do I dare?

I assume this measurement in in feet

GDI I almost laughed coffee out my nose.

all according to plan

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Autoporps and deciptisharks

I ate an engineer
    it's weird

Does porp ever lie? Next time she lies, you should call it "porpaganda."

she doesn't lie so much as berate me with the untruth

Definitely porpaganda.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is it still pie if it's not in a pie dish

no it's cobbler

oh man this sounds exactly like the kind of conversation chat loves

buckle up boiz

What's the best regional burger franchise

Be specific about why your regional burger franchise is superior, and why other ones are inferior

honesty is actually a big thing for us tho

I can't remember the last time porp or I lied to each other about something

same with the kids, I try really hard not even to tell easy lies like your mom will be home soon

suck it up buttercup she ain't coming back until midnight

LA is the second largest metro area in the US.

Add LA and NYC together about 1 in every 10 Americans lives in either of these two metro areas.

Maybe more like 1 in 11.

Which is really nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.