As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    What a shake up. How is he going to do this, and be DCE's CCO, and guide the movies? That's too much workload for one person.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/07/26/geoff-johns-promoted-to-president-of-dc-entertainment/
    Bleeding Cool is reporting what many reporters who attended Comic Con Interntional in San Diego had already heard over the weekend: that Geoff Johns has added "President" to his job title at DC Entertainment.

ComicBook.com can confirm that we have learned the same from a second source.

The promotion, which does not strip him of the title of Chief Creative Officer but instead adds to his responsibilities, reportedly came at the same time he was promoted to overseeing the film side of things with veteran producer Jon Berg.

Johns, whose new title is officially Chief Creative Officer & President, reports directly to President Diane Nelson, who is also the Chief Content Officer of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. It's not uncommon for Presidents to answer to other Presidents at Warner Bros., and since Nelson has been in charge of running the ship at DC since they added "Entertainment" to the name, it's likely everyone will continue to answer to her as long as she's with the company.

DC Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee will continue to answer directly to Nelson, as they have for some time.

DC declined to comment for this story. While ComicBook.com can't find any record of Warner Bros. officially announcing Johns's promotion on the film side, either, producers on the set of Justice League confirmed it during a recent set visit, as well as the long-standing rumors that he is writing the next Batman movie with star Ben Affleck.

Johns's involvement on the film side reportedly ramped up while Suicide Squad was in post-production, with Wonder Woman and Justice League both heavily influenced by the veteran comic book writer, who recently wrote DC Universe Rebirth #1 and is currently taking some time away from comics to focus on his other responsibilities.

Longtime DC Vice President of Marketing John Cunningham has now been promoted to Senior Vice President of Sales and Trade Marketing as part of a recent reorganization on that side reportedly spurred by the departure of SVP of Sales Bob Wayne. At a press breakfast on Friday, the publisher also revealed that both Marie Javins and Jamie S. Rich had been promoted to Group Editors.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Superman #4 and Batman #4 are both great reads, really liked seeing Bibbo again in Superman, and while they're setting up the Gothams to be baddies in Batman #4 it should be in the vein of rehabbing them for the future ala Jean Paul. Plus I like how Batman keeps a batglider in the trunk of the batmobile, that's the kind of simple logic with humor I want from a comic.

Nightwnig #2 is succeeding despite being anchored to those stupid owls, and I'd much rather get rid of these almost as good as Batman knockoffs and focus on Dick and Babs being together again like God intended even with her way too makseshift costume. Compared to all the others in the family, it really makes her look like she's the rookie who slapped stuff together from a thrift store even though she's been doing this as long as most have.

If this is all by Johns' oversight with his new position at DC, he's doing something right, because I actually enjoy the comics I'm reading again.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    Rebirth thoughts from the GL side of things now a couple months in:

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is great. Where was this Venditti during the first 30-odd issues of his run? Venditti was never bad, exactly, but its not a stretch to say the run on the previous volume was boring. Perhaps a symptom of the GL concept being stretched too thin to support 4 concurrent books?

Green Lanterns is terrible for a myriad of reasons - chief among them is a total lack of respect for Soule's Red Lanterns run. There could have been an actual interesting story and plot hook for why Atrocitus took control of the Reds again and how what he was trying to do was different this time but instead it's... more of the same shit from 5 - 7 years ago with all of the intervening characterization wiped clean. Bleez is willingly working with Atrocitus, Skallox and Zillius Zox are back from the dead with no reasoning and working with Atrocitus. None of it makes sense and the story is so bland that it doesn't justify the retcons.

Jessica and Simon are fine, I suppose, even if Simon's personality has been dumbed down. I'm not saying they need to lose their title but I do think they need a new writer at this point.

Green Lanterns is the Guy/John series, correct?

With Rebirth being such a revelation to those heroes on earth it would be prime character time for Guy since he had a pretty big rewrite with the nu52.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I loved Soule's Red Lantern's run. I guess I won't be reading Green Lanterns. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Superman #5, great. Batman has a batcave on the moon and Lois suits up in bat-armor.

Batman #5, good story, excellent use of realizing how over the top Batman can be in destroying his toys, and a reveal about Gotham's powers. What I didn't care for is how the story is setting up King's own pet character for the future run, and setting up a future for characters as though this was the prologue story (which will likely be changed by the end of King's run). This always seems to be a problem these days with Batman writers, they have to push in their own creations to be the cipher instead of just rolling with the already established cast, and I still don't know much about Duke either right now.

Suicide Squad #1, that was......an Image comic from the 90's. Even moreso than the new Thunderbolts comic. It's the movie cast as the squad this time around, with some bad writing and dated dialogue and exposition and even for Jim Lee, superfluous armor and tech designs. Although Katana's new costume is pretty sweet, she's like Zealot and Psylocke put together. Will try the second issue but I can already see that being a lost cause (it's teasing a death but it's vague enough it will be some tease and brought back to life with issue #3).

Nightwing #3 was good because more Dick/Babs team-up but I still could care less about the Owls. There's just nothing new there.

So three out of four this week isn't bad for DC, good job.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Grrrr.... I haven't been able to keep up since I'm waiting for a few checks to cash in. Thanks for the reviews @TexiKen ; can't wait to buy some Superman.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Owls were the first times in ages that new lore/villians got introduced into Batman that was actually good and that has been used well by multiple writers.

Morrisons's Batman Inc. stuff also fits all the criteria except for the 'used by other writers' part, tragically.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Green Lanterns is the Guy/John series, correct?

With Rebirth being such a revelation to those heroes on earth it would be prime character time for Guy since he had a pretty big rewrite with the nu52.

No, there is no Guy/John series. Green Lanterns stars Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz, Johns' two new Lanterns he created before he left Green Lantern and Justice League.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps stars Hal/John/Guy/Sinestro/Kyle (eventually)/and literally everyone else

Batman, Nightwing, and Detective are going into a crossover that started with Batman #7, and while Batman's issue was fine (it's dealing with a Hugo Strange subplot from the first arc), Nightwing's was real filler. So it might be best to skip the issues this month since it feels like a way to do a filler month without doing a filler issue, if that makes sense. You're getting a story that does have some thought put into it (it comes across like a way to promote the Bat Squad from Detective Comics), but it's not necessary.

Superman #7 was fantastic, I really don't know what else to say to get you to read the series if you haven't, it's everything a comic series should be.

Trinity #1 looks to be a lighthearted take on the big three, starting with a get together dinner on the Kent farm. Looks to be the series that tries to establish the old and new DC, trying to be the series that tries to sheen over the continuity stuff. Promising with lovely art as always by Manapul.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    Rebirth thoughts from the GL side of things now a couple months in:

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is great. Where was this Venditti during the first 30-odd issues of his run? Venditti was never bad, exactly, but its not a stretch to say the run on the previous volume was boring. Perhaps a symptom of the GL concept being stretched too thin to support 4 concurrent books?

Green Lanterns is terrible for a myriad of reasons - chief among them is a total lack of respect for Soule's Red Lanterns run. There could have been an actual interesting story and plot hook for why Atrocitus took control of the Reds again and how what he was trying to do was different this time but instead it's... more of the same shit from 5 - 7 years ago with all of the intervening characterization wiped clean. Bleez is willingly working with Atrocitus, Skallox and Zillius Zox are back from the dead with no reasoning and working with Atrocitus. None of it makes sense and the story is so bland that it doesn't justify the retcons.

Jessica and Simon are fine, I suppose, even if Simon's personality has been dumbed down. I'm not saying they need to lose their title but I do think they need a new writer at this point.

They did the same thing to Gardner over and over, they'd make him a real character in his own book and in the Lantern books, but every other book would present him as the same Guy from the first few issues of JLI where Batman puts him down with one punch.

Will put up the pages later but Superman #8 & 9, nice little break story that brings back some continuity play to a franchise ignored. And dinosaurs. And Krypto. Tomasi's really channeling the idea that Superman is everyone's dad, and it's great and perfect for the character to grow a bit. Plus, you know, Krypto. You can never go wrong with Krypto.

Batman #9 starts out the new arc where it's Batman recruiting a Suicide Squad from Arkham to go steal Psycho Pirate from Bane, who is replacing Venom with Pirate's powers to feel good. Nice take on the whole thing, and the team Batman recruits is a sound team with an old SS mainstay plus a bigger bat-villain. Michael Janin's the artist for this arc it looks like and it's very pretty. King really has a strong handle on just how to handle a story when it's shipping twice a month, this book is really good and is a template for how a Rebirth book should work compared to whatever DCnU was. And both this book and Superman have been dropping more hints about what's happening with all the outside forces coming into play for whatever big Crisis this is leading to.

• Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    One thing I will say about Superman + Son comics, they inspired more of my terrible fanfiction - this time involving young Clark, what Pa Kent did during WW2, and Sgt. Rock: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12041072/1/Hero-to-Heroes

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    Superman #10 was great, Jon and Damien meet fro the first time (after the former is kidnapped by the latter), and you have the two dads being their usual selves. It's the only worthwhile comic I read this week so I'm just gonna put the MOTW stuff here below the spoiler. That last page, finally someone had the guts to do it.
    superman10a_zpsg2b9y3fk.jpg

superman10b_zps0ujgrrsy.jpg

superman10c_zpslrdsvitf.jpg

superman10d_zpsoizlqu3x.jpg

Batman #10 though, that was a pretty bad comic in terms of execution, something I expect from Marvel these days a zing. King is writing the comic in that quasi-hack way Jeph Loeb always did where you have inner monologue of a character running in tandem to the story being told, in this case Catwoman's letter to Batman explaining why she killed all those people as revealed in the last issue (tldr terrorists called Dogs of War, although I don't know if this is something new in Selina's nu52 history or King made it up), all of this going on while Batman attempts to infiltrate Santa Prisca. But the Batman stuff seems very weird, with King's new thing being to just have Batman repeat himself in a loop while fighting the baddies. And what Batman goes through, it really pushes the suspension of disbelief for the character to the limit, stepping over it I think in the process. Probably the first weak issue outside of the crossover event two issues ago, and shows some decompression to fit the schedule that I didn't expect to see after such a solid beginning to the arc last issue. Disappointing.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I agree with the Batman criticism. I kept expecting a swerve at the end, where it was a robot the entire time, or something, because I could not wrap my head around why he kept repeating the same phrase over and over for the entire issue.

Very dumb.

Superman and Aquaman were both super excellent, as always.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I havent been keeping up with dc in like 2 years.

Whatever happened to that teen that took powergirl's name? tanya spears?

PG went back to earth 2 last i heard? I looked up teen titans and she (nu PG) want there anymore.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me what Grant Morrison is working on these days, if he is indeed working on anything? I've started picking up a few things here and there, and would like to get stuck into something he's writing.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Can anyone tell me what Grant Morrison is working on these days, if he is indeed working on anything? I've started picking up a few things here and there, and would like to get stuck into something he's writing.

https://graphicindia.com/portfolio/18daysscriptbook/

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think Wonder Woman: Earth One is his last project for DC/Marvel for a while.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you're hankering after Grant Morrison stuff you could do worse with than pick up the recently reprinted volumes of Zenith, his first superhero story from way back in the eighties. Long unavailable because of rights issues, they're an absolutely terrific read about a bratty pop star who is also the most powerful being on the planet who finds himself allied with an ex-hippy Tory minister fighting Elder Gods and Richard Branson.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

https://graphicindia.com/portfolio/18daysscriptbook/

18 Days is really good.

H9f4bVe.png
    I should check out 18 Days. Morrison is pretty good with mythology. Klaus was really good.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    What are the odds that Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is any good? Been a while since I've subscribed to a comic, and I'm tempted.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I seem to recall hearing some positive buzz for Justice League recently? No idea what's going on with Suicide Squad.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What are the odds that Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is any good? Been a while since I've subscribed to a comic, and I'm tempted.

I'm not terribly optimistic. At least the art should be good.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I got a chance to read the first volume of Wonder Woman Earth One, it's alright. The outrage was definitely overblown for the most part. The good bits are the great (HOLA! WOO!!), the bad bits are ??? but most of it is pretty average. I dunno, maybe Grant Morrison is feeling tired or uninspired lately. It's just an intro. Grant Morrison has done more with less and so when he does so little with Wonder Woman it feels like a big let down.

I forget who said it first, but Wonder Woman doesn't seem to have the "essential" stories that some of DC's other characters have. I suspect it might be because the character has been rebooted so many times, but you don't have something like The Dark Knight Returns or The Long Halloween for Batman, For the Man Who Has Everything for Superman, or The Longbow Hunters for Green Arrow - the stories that tend to 'stick' with a character.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think the closest things would be that period of time Diana lost her powers and learned Kung Fu, and then a billion years later, The Hiketeia GN by Rucka. The former only because of the social outcry, and the latter just within comic book fans (if not just WW fans).

Diana has had good comic writers and bad, she hasn't really been rebooted more often than say, Superman, and she's had a TV show and a shitload of merch tied to her. It's puzzling to me as well, and the only thing I can come up with is "no one cares enough, because she's a girl". I have no idea if I'm right or not of course, but it's what I keep coming back to.

sig.gif
    I've lost track of how many times WW has been rebooted. How many people remember when she was a kung fu spy? It's like when she was working at Taco Whiz, nothing sticks. Is she the daughter of Zeus, or made out of clay and given life by the gods? Did she fight in World War I or World War II?

I think there's two major problems with Wonder Woman - as a champion of women, she is unlike a lot of other heroes in that she should be focusing on making actual changes in the world, campaigning against sexism, violence against women, etc. - but comic book history prevents her from accomplishing anything lasting in that regard. She's tied into the Greco-Roman mythology, but that lacks a definitive end-game like Ragnarok in Norse Mythology, and again rarely ends up making a significant impact in the world - when Amazons are running around the streets of a major city, you don't get the sense of stakes as when Asgard is floating over Oklahoma.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.

I'm looking forward to volume two, now that reinventing the wheel is out of the way, maybe Grant Morrison will take Earth One WW in a world changing utopian direction. That'd be cool. She seemed pretty distraught at people dying of old age when the Amazons could cure death, so I'm expecting big things. It's just a shame that we had to sit through another Wonder Woman 101 introduction.

It's been awhile,nothing really major (Batman recovered from the Suicide Squad-lite arc, Superman's been consistently great), but this week, two new books!

Batwoman Rebirth #1 was fine, just another largely flashback issue to her time before she became Batwoman, leading into her time as quasi-leader for Detective Comics last year and even setting up a future for her where she's superhero military dictator and a mix between her dad's recent storyline and Batman. And it looks like Alice is back. Decent enough, didn't know Steve Epting was the artist, got immediate callbacks to Velvet. Good starting point like other Rebirths were.

Super Sons #1, this is where it's at (will try and put up scans later). Superboy and Robin being super kids. Which involves Damien dressing up as Jon's teacher and bus driver. And who gets top billing when they call out their names. It is fun and delightful where Jiminez's art perfectly compliments the whole thing. Only downside was no Titus or Krypto.

Cassandra should always be #1 because she's supposed to be the best (above even Richard Dragon and Lady Shiva), and I buy Dick being above Bruce in terms of abilities, since his weakness is never being a jerk like Bruce is, which always gives him that upper hand.

They've kind of upped Kate in terms of abilities so I guess that's fine, but no way Helena is above Jason, and I can't see Tim being so low. Granted I'm still running on old DCU ways, and Duke just seems like a rookie scrapper too.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tim should also not be at the bottom of the list.

Like, I'm a fan of Stephanie, but there's no way in hell that she'd be able to beat anyone else in the Bat-family in fisticuffs.

sig.gif
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    FROWFLv.jpg

DC in May has Amanda Waller making General Zod a member of the Suicide Squad. I'm sure that'll work out we-

2M9hkF8.jpg
    ACTION COMICS #980

Written by DAN JURGENS • Art by PATCH ZIRCHER • Cover by RODOLFO MIGLIARI • Variant cover by GARY FRANK

“REVENGE” part two! Both Superman and the Revenge Squad must traverse the deadly Black Vault in a race against time to reach General Zod! Amanda Waller’s secret Kryptonian weapon reveals himself to the world, but Cyborg Superman and Eradicator move in to recruit him. Tying directly into the events of this month’s Suicide Squad issues—and no matter who wins in this epic showdown, it spells certain doom for the Last Son of Krypton!

On sale MAY 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Ohhhh...

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Who is the guy next to Mongol? Either way, Zod on the Squad??

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Who is the guy next to Mongol? Either way, Zod on the Squad??

The first story-arc of Rebirth-era Suicide Squad has the team sent in to recover some tech that turns out to be Phantom Zone related so Zod came with it.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Well...it makes the Suicide Squad a legit threat against the JL. But seriously Waller controlling Zod?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Well...it makes the Suicide Squad a legit threat against the JL. But seriously Waller controlling Zod?
    And Maxwell Lord, as well as having some sort of control over Eclipso and Lobo previously.

They've turned her into god lately, and it's getting out of hand.