As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I usually skip out on the GOTY discussions, but a video version I might actually watch.

Although part of the reason I usually avoid the discussions is because I don't want to get spoiled on all the stuff I haven't played. Of all the big releases that came out this year, I've only played DOOM and Stardew Valley. And DOOM only happened recently after getting a new PC that can actually run it. Who knows if I'll even be able to get around to next year's releases; I want to catch up on all the stuff I've missed out on over the last 2-3 years. I've got a bunch of Assassin's Creed games to play through! And I want to play Far Cry 4, and maybe Far Cry Primal, and that last Wolfenstein game. And Firewatch and The Witness.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Huh, early stream for GBE east starts in a few minutes. "Hitman and More?"

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Wonder what filibusters 2016 will have to offer

http://abload.de/img/bradwatchtheworldburn9xrof.gif

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Depends on if they try to push inside out of the top 10.

Then we're in for some shit I think.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Did Brad force anything last year? IIRC, he wanted Ori but Jeff paired it with Axiom Verge and tossed them both out.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Horizon 3 ruined the Horizon series by totally breaking PI balance in a world with incredibly boring tracks compared to Horizon 2.

Horizon 3 is the first Forza title to ever burn me, a person who bought an XB1 only to play Forza games and played hundreds of hours of Horizon 2. It's maybe my disappointment of the generation so far.
    how does it feel to be more wrong than UnbreakableVow has ever been in any post he has ever made?

I suspect it feels bad but I wouldn't know

Shrug. I've played probably a few thousand hours of various Forza games over the years, and this game has design choices that remove the fun for me. I like to race small, light, low power RWD cars, all of which are usually 20 to 30 seconds slower over a race for equal PI in Horizon 3 due to a combination of grip balance and track design. It's similar to the AWD era of Forza 3, or the corresponding AWD nightmare that was 4 and 5, but worse due to the lack of private lobby customization.

I acknowledge that it's a good, well built game. If I was objectively reviewing it in old Gamespot style, it's clearly an 8+. But it's not a game for me. Disappointing doesn't mean bad! I spent all summer extremely excited to get back to another Horizon after the hundreds of hours of fun I had in single and multiplayer with 2. I geeked out in the Forza thread about being able to customize license plates, and maybe being allowed to put text on tires in my designs and body kits and all manner of dumb things.

But I don't enjoy the game they made. That's disappointment.
    Oh, so it's me and Dark Souls 3 then. Objectively a fantastic game, but oh my god does the entire experience just feel like they took so much of what made the first two games enjoyable for me out. Definitely my biggest disappointment of the year, just because I had so much hope for it.

Hey remember how Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin solved the curse of the undead? That the Bearer of the Curse is now immune to hollowing and can stay and protect the Kiln of the First Flame forever, keeping anyone from lighting it ever again and resulting in a slide into true Dark?

No?

That's ok, neither did From. Here's the story of Dark Souls 1 again instead.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Huh, early stream for GBE east starts in a few minutes. "Hitman and More?"

Either they wanna give the true GOTY more coverage, or this is the prize the losers on a game show get.

I can easily see it being a 'we didn't play enough of this to make an informed GOTY choice apology stream' of sorts

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Since I've never listened to the GotY discussions before, how hard do they go into spoilers?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Since I've never listened to the GotY discussions before, how hard do they go into spoilers?

All the way.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

All the way.

Yeah, generally except for very late releases (so like Last Guardian) it is full and open spoilers. They have to be able to talk about a game with people who may not have played it.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Which is part of the reason GOTY time is so fraught every year. I haven't gotten around to everything yet!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Horizon 3 ruined the Horizon series by totally breaking PI balance in a world with incredibly boring tracks compared to Horizon 2.

Horizon 3 is the first Forza title to ever burn me, a person who bought an XB1 only to play Forza games and played hundreds of hours of Horizon 2. It's maybe my disappointment of the generation so far.
    how does it feel to be more wrong than UnbreakableVow has ever been in any post he has ever made?

Shrug. I've played probably a few thousand hours of various Forza games over the years, and this game has design choices that remove the fun for me. I like to race small, light, low power RWD cars, all of which are usually 20 to 30 seconds slower over a race for equal PI in Horizon 3 due to a combination of grip balance and track design. It's similar to the AWD era of Forza 3, or the corresponding AWD nightmare that was 4 and 5, but worse due to the lack of private lobby customization.

I acknowledge that it's a good, well built game. If I was objectively reviewing it in old Gamespot style, it's clearly an 8+. But it's not a game for me. Disappointing doesn't mean bad! I spent all summer extremely excited to get back to another Horizon after the hundreds of hours of fun I had in single and multiplayer with 2. I geeked out in the Forza thread about being able to customize license plates, and maybe being allowed to put text on tires in my designs and body kits and all manner of dumb things.

Oh, so it's me and Dark Souls 3 then. Objectively a fantastic game, but oh my god does the entire experience just feel like they took so much of what made the first two games enjoyable for me out. Definitely my biggest disappointment of the year, just because I had so much hope for it.

Hey remember how Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin solved the curse of the undead? That the Bearer of the Curse is now immune to hollowing and can stay and protect the Kiln of the First Flame forever, keeping anyone from lighting it ever again and resulting in a slide into true Dark?

No?

I just realized... Dark Souls 3 is the XCOM 2 of the series, then. If you actually did the shit in DS2 to fix things, then it wouldn't exist timeline-wise.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I suppose I need to watch hours-long "lore" videos on Youtube because I honestly have absolutely no idea what happens in any of the Dark Souls games.

PMAvers wrote: »

No?

I just realized... Dark Souls 3 is the XCOM 2 of the series, then. If you actually did the shit in DS2 to fix things, then it wouldn't exist timeline-wise.

But the world state that XCOM 2 went with was at least interesting in its own way. Sure i'd like to see a game where humans take all the alien technology and spread out into the universe, but that's not exactly what xcom is going for, thematically. In XCOM 2, XCOM happened- we just lost the war.

Dark Souls 3 ignores its predecessor entirely. Drangleic essentially doesn't exist. Or if it does then nothing that happened there matters.

The game is basically "screw Dark Souls 2. This is the REAL sequel to Dark Souls" and that's shitty because Dark Souls 2 is amazing. It's not even just the lore stuff, they remove the new mechanical changes and cool pvp covenant ideas as well. Hexes are in there, but they aren't their own thing anymore and they all suck, like some kind of joke insult. "Oh you thought these new spells were fun? Well fuck you, here's what we think of THAT."

Fuck Dark Souls 3.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I suppose I need to watch hours-long "lore" videos on Youtube because I honestly have absolutely no idea what happens in any of the Dark Souls games.

It's a feature, just like hiding what character stats actually do in a wiki that the community has to build.

steam_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    It depends. They didn't really go deep into SOMA for instance. And I don't recall them saying out loud what was the twist in MGSV only that it was dumb? Why can't I remember...

EDIT: Just avoid Best Moment and Best Story. Those usually are the most spoilerific segments.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular

As others have mentioned, they don't hold back at all.
    (Nor should they have to. They are really clear about the GotY discussion containing spoilers. And they will be talking about what they liked, in detail.)
    IMO, Giant Bomb has always been pretty bad (or awful) at discussing the strengths of a game without going into a step-by-step of what happens in the game. I've always found that weird, and kind of unfortunate/sad, but I guess that's what different with games, compared to other media (film, music, theater).
    When people discuss a film they don't do a chronological recount of what happened in the film, but people can't discuss games without spoiling any interesting moment.

Usually some one here will listen and let the rest of us know how heavy they are on the spoilers, and which games get spoiled.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Man some of you care way too much about the story of Dark Souls. I mean, I get it, the lore is mysterious and cool, and they litter it throughout the world and all that...but Dark Souls is about being a difficult, rewarding, experience with excellent world building. On that front Dark Souls 3 is fine. It's the weakest game in the series, but I still dumped 70 hours in to it and have beaten it twice.

Dark Souls 2 will always be my favorite, because I think mechanically it's the best of the series (and as we've established I play Dark Souls for the mechanics more than the lore). When I get in to a "I need some Dark Souls" mood these days I'll almost certainly reach for SoTFS.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Oh boy, I think I'm gonna hold off voting on that GOTY thing. Just started Gears 4 (up to Act 3 right now) and damn, now I get why Jeff rated this game so highly. BTW, first Gears game I play.

EDIT: I will have to make a choice. What do you think is better spoiler free? Inside or Firewatch? I'm gonna play both but I'm pretty sure I won't be done with both of them by the time GOTY begins.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Oh boy, I think I'm gonna hold off voting on that GOTY thing. Just started Gears 4 (up to Act 3 right now) and damn, now I get why Jeff rated this game so highly. BTWk, first Gears game I play.

EDIT: I will have to make a choice. What do you think is better spoiler free? Inside or Firewatch? I'm gonna play both but I'm pretty sure I won't be done with both of them by the time GOTY begins.

Inside is like 2-3 hours long, Firewatch is like 4-5.

I dunno about Firewatch, though it's a story driven game about a mystery, so spoilers might be bad. A lot of the impact of Inside is from a specific "thing" and having that thing spoiled for you would probably reduce the impact by a lot.

If you like Gears 4, you'll probably like Gears 2 and 3. Gears 1 is a little bit rough to go back to (Even the remaster).

GnomeTank wrote: »
    Man some of you care way too much about the story of Dark Souls. I mean, I get it, the lore is mysterious and cool, and they litter it throughout the world and all that...but Dark Souls is about being a difficult, rewarding, experience with excellent world building. On that front Dark Souls 3 is fine. It's the weakest game in the series, but I still dumped 70 hours in to it and have beaten it twice.

Dark Souls 2 will always be my favorite, because I think mechanically it's the best of the series (and as we've established I play Dark Souls for the mechanics more than the lore). When I get in to a "I need some Dark Souls" mood these days I'll almost certainly reach for SoTFS.

You're not wrong, and that's basically my opinion on it as well, SotFS included. I'm only so harsh on it because up to that point Dark Souls was easily my favorite video game series. There was so much potential leading up to it, then what we got was the weakest entry in the series. It's entirely disappointment speaking.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Wait people actually think DS3 is a disappointment?

i find that so strange

J3qcnBP.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's not the best Souls, but it's still an incredible game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like the whole point of Dark Souls lore is that it's vague and fragmented and you don't really have all of the pieces you need to put everything together.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oh boy, I think I'm gonna hold off voting on that GOTY thing. Just started Gears 4 (up to Act 3 right now) and damn, now I get why Jeff rated this game so highly. BTW, first Gears game I play.

Firewatch is the story. Inside relies on its story a lot, but figuring out the puzzles is there, too so there's still reason to experience it if the story has been spoiled for you. Despite loving it, I'm not sure I can say the same for Firewatch.

camo_sig2.png
    fRAWRst wrote: »

i find that so strange

Biggest (gaming-related) disappointment of 2016 for me.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I don't know if hallucinated this, but I remember after Dark Souls II came out, but before Dark souls 3, everyone was talking about how the first one was so much better, and II was a dissapointment

Now II seems to be a popular pick for best

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DS2 is still, by the greater gaming community, regarded as the worst, but for some reason the PA forums tend to attract some degree of renegade agents who are ready to spit on the mass market opinions

see also: Dragon Age 2, Assassin's Creed 3

liEt3nH.png
    I mean, I've always like 2, but I like 3 too.

I like them all, they're all good games

People are crazy picky

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Also, Dark Souls 2 has the best lore, and although Dark Souls 3 has a good ending, its self-reference is the worst in the series. I think I see what they were going for in that they were reflecting on and also closing the book on the franchise that brought From Software into modern relevance, but I don't think they stuck the landing.

liEt3nH.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

I don't know if hallucinated this, but I remember after Dark Souls II came out, but before Dark souls 3, everyone was talking about how the first one was so much better, and II was a dissapointment
    Some of that was just people getting rubbed the wrong way by the changes, before they got used to them.
    It felt like the large part was how messy the lore and writing were when the game first came out, though. The item lore was spotty, unconnected and you often had enemies in places that made no sense for them to be in. Scholar went a long way to rectifying that- between fixing the lore, fiddling with the enemy placement and the 3 fantastic DLC packs it took the game from "okay" to "favourite in the Souls series" for me.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    DS2 is still, by the greater gaming community, regarded as the worst, but for some reason the PA forums tend to attract some degree of renegade agents who are ready to spit on the mass market opinions

see also: Dragon Age 2, Assassin's Creed 3

Yeah, I'll champion AC3.

I mean, it's definitely not the best of the series (Far from it: you could make a case for 2, Brotherhood or 4 for that. Even Syndicate could be a dark horse), but taken out of the context of the hype of its release, it's not terribad like Unity. It's...sub-par, is all. Better than Revelations.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    fRAWRst wrote: »

i find that so strange

Biggest (gaming-related) disappointment of 2016 for me.

strange

J3qcnBP.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2

DS2 is a garbage game and I hate it

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2

See it's comments like this I don't get. What was so bad about it?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I hated the environments, I didn't like the way everything felt disconnected from everything else, I hated the bosses, I hated the enemy layouts, I hated the levels,

LxX6eco.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

It was different, ergo fanboys get angry because DS1 is a perfect masterpiece and no one can criticize or change anything about it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited December 2016
    SyphonBlue was warned for this.
    PMAvers wrote: »

It was different, ergo fanboys get angry because DS1 is a perfect masterpiece and no one can criticize or change anything about it.

fuck off

Tube on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    I like all the souls games

it probably goes 1=bloodborne = demons -> 2 -> 3

but 3 is still fantastic

theyre all fantastic

J3qcnBP.png
This discussion has been closed.