As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the old pokemon thread :(

TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
edited September 2019 in Games and Technology
lIWRtdC.png
Hello there! Welcome to the World of Pokémon. This world is inhabited by creatures called POKéMON! For some people, POKéMON are pets. Others use them for fights. And still others study POKéMON as a profession. First, what is your name?

What is Pokémon?

Pokémon is a HUGE multi-media franchise, with an anime series, yearly film releases, a manga, a trading card game, many video games, and a Monopoly board game

Late 2019
POKéMON SWORD and SHIELD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dgvgpC8Nw
These games have new features such as: 4 Player Co-Op Dynamax Raid Battles, Open-World(?) Wild Areas, New Pokémon, and more! These are our "main-line" games and have the more competitive features long-time fans have come to expect.

Currently Available!
POKéMON LET'S GO, PIKACHU! and LET'S GO, EEVEE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts
These games are HD remakes of the original Red/Blue/Yellow. Battles and Online features are simplified a bit, and you can only catch the original 151 (+a few extras). They are cute and fun for the more casual Pokemon fan.

Aren't there other games?

There are so many other games. One of them is literally just you watching Pikachu watch TV. You can talk about any of them! You can also talk about the TCG or Movies or Whatever. Except for Pokemon GO. Please use the Pokémon GO thread.

MISCELLANEOUS RESOURCES
Pokemon Global Link
Pokemon's Online Portal, where you can learn about upcoming tournaments and research usage statistics on Pokemon in a variety of battle formats.
Friend Code List
Friend Code Submission Form
If you add someone, let them know. The majority of FC Adding goes on in-thread, not through these forms, but they're still nice.
How To SOS! A guide to Chaining Pokemon for Pleasure and Profit
SOS Chaining can allow you to get Pokemon with hidden abilities, high IVs, and shiny Pokemon!

Now get out there and enjoy the world of Pokémon! Your journey has begun!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
Let's Plays of Japanese Games
TDawg on

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Let's get this started.

47 Battle tree streak cut low by a Steelix with rest while my Tauntmon was dead.

One day i'll get that 50.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Got my Alola Battle rating (30,000th ish of 34,000 woo!) so where's my 50 bp participation reward? Is it just going to pop up on game sync at some point?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i had to use the computer then talk to the lady next to the computer in the festival plaza to get the reward for the catch a bunch of pokemon event. I imagine that's also how it game syncs your participation in the battling thing.

Also, im at like 92% for my pokedex and just dont want to keep going, but i want the shiny charm.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Zunde wrote: »
    Let's get this started.

47 Battle tree streak cut low by a Steelix with rest while my Tauntmon was dead.

One day i'll get that 50.

Is 50 just a goal or does something change at 50?

WingedWeasel on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You unlock stuff at round numbers

30 gives you a bottle cap, 50 gives you a new pose and new music, stuff like that

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Interesting. Didn't realize it awarded anything but BP

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So I beat the third trial. As expected my team had a hard time as half of them had a weakness to fire and none were resistant. Still beat him on the first try though!. Magnemite came through for me in the first round. His trait let him survive Salazzle's first attack so he could paralyze it. Grimer got in a hit or two but he wasted a turn before fainting trying to poison the opponent's as I did not know they were poison type. Poor Cutiefly got wrekt. Gumshoos had Mud Slap at this point and got some good licks in with it, but went down as well.

At that point the totem poke was quite weakened, about a quarter HP. I had Dartrix and Crabrawler left. I figured it would come down to Crabby as Dartrix would get 1 shot, so I sent out Dartrix. Amazingly, Dartix beat em! He was able to tank the partner Sanadit's poke's attacks, while Salazzle was paralyzed two times in a row.

What a great battle!

I also got Poke Pelago. I've seen it mentioned before but I have no idea what it actually does. What does it do? I do like that my boxed pokes can run around and enjoy themselves, though. The guy said I could harvest beans once a day, but I swear I was able to shake that tree five or six times to get a shitload of beans.

Side question: do Affection benefits apply to real person battles, or only against NPC battles?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Affection does not apply to anything resembling a real battle. That includes Battle Royals and Battle Tree.

Man... imagine the RNG bitching if it applied to that stuff. :biggrin:

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I got a lot of pokémon with Pokérus over GTS and WT.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the connection to the Pokemon in-game servers bad? Seems like it always takes me 2 tries to connect for trading or battling. I don't think it's my internet connection itself, though I guess it's possible. I never have issues browsing the web or anything over wifi though.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hey gang, i'm doing a thing, just a little expression of how much I like the series even after all these years. It's a Pokedex, by me.

I figure some of you might want to take a look.

https://a-heart-warming-pokedex.tumblr.com

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hey gang, i'm doing a thing, just a little expression of how much I like the series even after all these years. It's a Pokedex, by me.

That is awesome.

One small thing. Did you intend for Nidoking's entry to have "wary" or "weary"?

Nobeard on
    Nobeard wrote: »

That is awesome.

One small thing. Did you intend for Nidoking's entry to have "wary" or "weary"?

Thank you very much!

Yes, "weary" as in tired due to lack of rest. The entries form a sort of story, the other male Nido_ are a rowdy bunch.

Please continue and tell me your favourite entry so far!

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I've never seen Pokerus in the wild either. My friend found it in the wild this gen and passed it along to me. I can infect a random pokemon (Spoilers: Abra) to pass along if someone wants.

76561197966849367.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I just finished the third island. Can someone give me the heads up for what route I will find one of those fighting dragon guys? I'm pretty sure I haven't missed them but just in case.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Not till the last island, though they're pretty rare there as well.
    The route is named rather than numbered, so mild spoilers I guess, nothing story related, just the name of the location:
    Low encounter rate in the grass patches in the Great Poni Canyon

Halos Nach Tariff on
    Rami wrote: »
    I just finished the third island. Can someone give me the heads up for what route I will find one of those fighting dragon guys? I'm pretty sure I haven't missed them but just in case.

The small ones show up in Poni Canyon (this is also where Charjabug, Magneton, and Nosepass evolve) on the 4th island. They will SOS call the mid and final evolutions if you're patient.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited December 2016
    Also:

I think I'm gonna go for a Rockruff next. Unfortunately I can't use Klefki (Recycle is so good) thanks to Sand Attack, but I had good results last night with a Keen Eye Skarmory. Speaking of Keen Eye, that's what this Pikipek has so no Skill Link shenanigans for me.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

You can't miss them. The main story progression railroads you through their area where they're scripted to jump you.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

That's pretty cool in itself, and specially considering how grim and morbid the Sun&Moon pokedex is.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    @Stormwatcher Thank you. Yeah, I decided to make it off the cuff while I was on the train, but I suppose it has something to do with that.

I'm currently up to Psyduck, phew, that'll do for now.

The most important thing is that at a 50 streak you unlock the Trainer passport stamp for that Battle style.

I like me a filled out form.

• VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Rank 1280 worldwide, rank 32 in canada. What a good run!

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    So, I don't understand something about Poke Pelago. I left some guys to EV train, set for the maximum amount of time (and beans), and when they were "done," the relevant stat hadn't gone up at all, or at least by a noticeable amount. What'd I do wrong?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    So, I don't understand something about Poke Pelago. I left some guys to EV train, set for the maximum amount of time (and beans), and when they were "done," the relevant stat hadn't gone up at all, or at least by a noticeable amount. What'd I do wrong?

You may need them to gain a level to have the stat be recalculated. That's what happens with EV training the old fashioned way.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    If it's anything like previous games raising EV's won't actually raise stats until you also raise that pokemon's level.
    I believe the conversion is every 4 EVs is equal to one additional point in a stat at level 100, or something along those lines.
    If you were to level up a pokemon that you've left to train in the pelago (or EV trained by any other method) you should notice that stat's you've raised increasingly heavily as they gain levels.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If it's anything like previous games raising EV's won't actually raise stats until you also raise that pokemon's level.
    I believe the conversion is every 4 EVs is equal to one additional point in a stat at level 100, or something along those lines.
    If you were to level up a pokemon that you've left to train in the pelago (or EV trained by any other method) you should notice that stat's you've raised increasingly heavily as they gain levels.

Nah, EV effects have been immediate since B/W

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb

what level is that particular island? level 1 i think gives 1 EV per hour or whatever time frame it is. level 2 or 2 and level 3 is 4

edited December 2016

what level is that particular island? level 1 i think gives 1 EV per hour or whatever time frame it is. level 2 or 2 and level 3 is 4

It's maxed out. I'll feed a rare candy to one of them and see what happens.

Edit: Nope. Still just its base stat.

akjak on

i've ev trained lots of level 1 pokemon and it shows as maxed. silly question, but did you press Y on the summary page?

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Turambar wrote: »

For your level. Which means that if the Pokemon is still low level (a real possibility with how Pelago works), they won't see a change. The game doesn't give your fully EV trained but still level 10 Rattata +64 Speed, although it would be hilarious.

In other news, I completely forgot about the Battle for Alola online tournament last weekend. Doesn't really matter since I wasn't done with the game and don't have anything even vaguely resembling a team, but still upsetting that I missed out on the free BP from just entering 3 matches. They really need to do a better job of publicizing this kind of stuff.

TDawg on
    edited December 2016
    TDawg wrote: »

For your level. Which means that if the Pokemon is still low level (a real possibility with how Pelago works), they won't see a change. The game doesn't give your fully EV trained but still level 10 Rattata +64 Speed, although it would be hilarious.

In other news, I completely forgot about the Battle for Alola online tournament last weekend. Doesn't really matter since I wasn't done with the game and don't have anything even vaguely resembling a team, but still upsetting that I missed out on the free BP from just entering 3 matches. They really need to do a better job of publicizing this kind of stuff.

You can see the EV changes (at any level) when you hit Y in the Summary page. Sparkling indicates that value being maxed out.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    TDawg wrote: »

If only they had newsletter where they could advertise their tournaments... Alas, all they have is a newsletter where they advertise pokemon tcg and t-shirts.

Personally I'm more interested in Doubles events anyway.

Edit :
    Re: stats
    For low level pokemon, the bonus from IVs and EVs can easily be lost in rounding to the nearest stat point.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012

i've ev trained lots of level 1 pokemon and it shows as maxed. silly question, but did you press Y on the summary page?

No. No I did not. How in the world would I have known to do that?! Grr. I was used to the Super Training screen, which the new stat chart looks JUST LIKE.

Anyway. Gah. All is well.

More WonderTrade fishing.

That one delicious perfect battle ready shiny out of the hundred or so Wondercraps makes it all worth while.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    More WonderTrade fishing.

That one delicious perfect battle ready shiny out of the hundred or so Wondercraps makes it all worth while.

I just did a round of wondertrades for the first time, nothing super special but I'm happy with what I got. Some HA Eevees, a couple new pokedex entries, quite a few 3-5 IV breeders, and a handful of opposite version exclusives. I sent out a bunch of HA Alomomolas so hopefully nobody feels gypped.

Ugh, Pokemon available only through weather SOS battles are the worst.

76561197966849367.png
    As questionable as this is canon wise according to a Trophy in Smash Brothers melee/Brawl (The Pokeball one.)

Each Pokeball creates a virtual environment suited for the pokemon inside it with Better pokeballs being better Environments.

I.. i kind of feel bad for using mostly normal pokeballs now.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    As questionable as this is canon wise according to a Trophy in Smash Brothers melee/Brawl (The Pokeball one.)

Each Pokeball creates a virtual environment suited for the pokemon inside it with Better pokeballs being better Environments.

In this game, they're practically never in the Pokeball. They're either in your party being used in battles / Pokemon Refresh, or they're on Poke Pelago doing your slave labor having an island vacation! So, like, don't worry about it!

TDawg on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular

Fittingly this was just posted in SE++ a little while ago:
    Pokeballs and interiors.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf