As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TPB's or Novellas for the Female

klinkklink Registered User new member
edited December 2007 in Graphic Violence
Hello, I am an avid trade reader, but mostly I am into the non-superheroish stuff (Clowes, Tomine)...Anyway, does anyone have any good suggestions for something a female reader might enjoy. Books along the lines of Blankets by Craig Thompson.

It's tough finding people talking about these types of things. I just needed a little direction.

I know that she enjoyed Ghost World a little bit. I think something more love story oriented would be great.

any suggestions? thx

klink on

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vampire Loves by France's Joann Sfar, the Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley, and Blue Monday and Scooter Girl by Chynna Clugston Major are the few romance-oriented books that come to mind for me.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Strangers in Paradise might be a good choice. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane might appeal to her as well. Pretty much a highschool teen girl drama that just happens to have Spider-Man characters in it. There's no focus on heroing or villain of the week stuff. I actually enjoy it, but rarely admit it due to the whole 'the book is for girls' stigma. It's actually a really good book though. I think she'd probably like Runaways or, if she's a Buffy fan, Whedon's Season 8 Buffy comic.

Also, manga is an excellent source for female oriented works. Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles, School Rumble (highschool comedy / love story), Fruits Basket, Inu Yasha and so on are all popular manga that have either a neutral orientation or are written towards females in general. There's actually dozens and dozens of choices from manga that you would be hardpressed to find for conventional comics.

KVW on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scott Pilgrim.

Edit: Oh damn, I was beaten to it. Check out this list for some more ideas.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In my experience, Y the Last Man, Sandman, and Fables all tend to be pretty popular with women for some reason. I'd also recommend Hopeless Savages for something upbeat and fun, and the complete works of Jason for some of that dry, Clowes-y humor with a dash of dysfunctional relationships and misery.

Munch on
    edited November 2007
    Jordyn is a woman and she likes normal comics.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kill Your Boyfriend by Grant Morrison.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

You don't want to give her ideas!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    American Virgin, despite appearances and general marketing, is probably something a girl would like.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

You don't want to give her ideas!

Yes I do!

Mai-Kero on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Strangers in Paradise, Y, and Blue Monday were really good suggestions. To them I'd add Box Office Poison (available in a single handy tpb!), Breakfast After Noon (ditto!) and a couple volumes of Artbabe.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Its pretty much a superheroics comic but runaways is pretty good. My sis likes reading it.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    There is tons of great, 'girly' manga.

What's Micheal is about, uh, cats. They, uh, do cat things? It's super hard to describe, but I know my wife loves it, and if your girlfriend is into cats, then she would probably like it. Anybody who likes cats seems to like 'What's Micheal.'

Aria is another great manga for girls (and anybody, really). ADV put out three volumes and then cancelled it, but Tokyopop has picked it up, along with its prequel series Aqua. Basically it's about a bunch of girls who live on Mars and do whimsical things in a gorgeous fantasy world.

Sexy Voice and Robo is a really amazing-looking art-manga about a girl detective who is also a 'date-line' operator. It's kind of like Veronica Mars, but not really at all.

In non-manga works, Hope Larson's Salamander Dream and Grey Horses are both stellar comics, dealing with growing up and love and distance and all those wonderful things. You can read Salamander Dream in its entirety here, if you want, although Adhouse books put out a really nice book version.

And Lost At Sea, the comic that Bryan Lee O'Malley did before Scott Pilgrim, is a great bit of introspective, angsty teen drama. It's about four kids just out of high school who are on a road trip from California to Ontario, and the self-discoveries they make along the way.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anything that doesn't suck.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited November 2007
    See that's the thing

Why wouldn't a girl just like any old comic that a dude would like? Buy her From Hell and The Filth.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Runaways.

deadonthestreet on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you can find it, get her Alias by Brian Bendis.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited November 2007
    I'd say Ultimate Spider-Man would also be a pretty good bet. Lots of innocent fun with teen drama and colorful super villains. Girls like colors, you see.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2007
    We got some of my bridesmaids the first Invincible hardcover.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    We got some of my bridesmaids the first Invincible hardcover.

Best wedding ever.

What did the groomsmen get?

Oh, and I'd recommend the "Death" books - "High Cost of Living" and "The Time of Your Life."

KalTorak on
    edited November 2007
    The groomsmen got personalized swiss army knives.

Except for my little brother, he got a sword.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    See that's the thing

Why wouldn't a girl just like any old comic that a dude would like? Buy her From Hell and The Filth.

Not such a hot idea

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Planetary *see above*

It's not a "girl" comic but I don't give a damn and cannot recommend it enough.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited November 2007
    Doodmann wrote: »

Planetary *see above*

It's not a "girl" comic but I don't give a damn and cannot recommend it enough.

This man speaks truth

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Did everyone only read the thread title? Planetary, From Hell, and The Filth are hardly romantic.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    My suggestions of From Hell and The Filth were not meant to be taken seriously.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NextWave!

(for those keeping trck - yes, I intend to recommend this to everyone and everything)

ben0207 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Did everyone only read the thread title? Planetary, From Hell, and The Filth are hardly romantic.

it says 'for the female', not 'for a rom-com zombie' (romcomzom?)

i generally assume that girls (people in general, really) don't dislike comics because they're too testeosterrific, but because they think they're all poorly written junk. thus, i would rather give someone something well written and interesting (like from hell, though i wouldn't give anyone my copy of from hell as the damn thing cost like thirty-five bucks and i already spilled enough water on it thank you very much) over giving them something i assume they're gender-encoded to like.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Servo wrote: »

it says 'for the female', not 'for a rom-com zombie' (romcomzom?)

i generally assume that girls (people in general, really) don't dislike comics because they're too testeosterrific, but because they think they're all poorly written junk. thus, i would rather give someone something well written and interesting (like from hell, though i wouldn't give anyone my copy of from hell as the damn thing cost like thirty-five bucks and i already spilled enough water on it thank you very much) over giving them something i assume they're gender-encoded to like.

That's a fair approach in general, but I don't see why we shouldn't trust the OP when he says that romance comics may in fact be appropriate for the girl in question, even if the same cannot be said for all girls.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    because he's a liar who is trying to trick us

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Green Arrow written by Kevin Smith has plenty of romance and is completely awesome in every way!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shazam_monster_society-777164.jpg I feel that anyone can enjoy this.

projectmayhem on
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, if you're going to recommend Jeff Smith you cannot overlook Bone.

There's a bit of an unrequited love subplot in there too.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Transmetropolitan. If she's even vaguely liberal, she'll dig it. She'll also dig it if she thinks words like "whorehopper" are hilarious.

Personally, I think it's the same exact thing as "recommend for the non-comic-reader". My lady-friend has liked a lot of indy humor comic stuff, Transmet, Scott Pilgrim, and V for Vendetta.

The major difference here is that to a person un-versed in comics, "super-people" is a genre. I happen to dig Invincible in a different way than I do Spider-Man, but from the outside they both look like person-with-great-power-story-time.

Any interests she has, see if you can find stuff that suits them. Anything that moved you and didn't involve Batman's parents dying? That's good too. "The Walking Dead" is a romantic gift for a female person who enjoys zombies a ton.

My only real straight-up romance recommendation is Scott Pilgrim. It's a nice, light, really funny story that is basically a soap opera and it is awesomely fun.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Y: The Last Man

Pride of Baghdad

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
    edited November 2007
    ooh hey

batharli.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    She might like the Emma Frost mini, if she can get over the frankly retarded covers by Greg Horn (although I think the TPBs used different, better, covers).

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Green Arrow written by Kevin Smith has plenty of romance and is completely awesome in every way!

Kevin Smith can't write a comic without:

1. mentioning one or more female character "PMS-ing"

2. rape

3. heroine

so, yeah. it sounds up your alley.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    She might like the Emma Frost mini, if she can get over the frankly retarded covers by Greg Horn (although I think the TPBs used different, better, covers).

No shut up no one should ever read that horrid thing

no one

not even hitler

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited December 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

No shut up no one should ever read that horrid thing

no one

not even hitler
    Yeah? Okay. I never read it, but remember hearing that it's not too bad for the ones with girl parts.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, Spider-Man Blue

deadonthestreet on