As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2016: You'll go down in history...

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Santee, your gift was mailed out Monday. Who knows if more is coming...

Aaand I was going to have a funny youtube video here, but I forgot that the forums don't support time-stamped links. =P

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Santa, now that I know you've sent off my package, I can say this:

Send me candy. Send me all the candy.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Santa, now that I know you've sent off my package, I can say this:

Send me candy. Send me all the candy.

Candy has been sent, and you aren't getting any of it trash panda.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif
    huzzah! My Santa returned for another giftening!
    MuHoKhI.jpg
    a wrapping bag... with an attached note:
    hngWwG7.jpg
    Although I'm a huge fan of Keanu this typically a disconcerting message to receive...
    T97dFfF.jpg
    but it was actually a clever misdirection!

Thanks @Big Classy!

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    d8gmyjvb8rm3.gif

I came home to two large boxes sitting on my porch! I tossed my work stuff aside and darted into my bedroom to crack into the gifts!

Box 1 Opening:
    uVMmct0.jpg
    Oh my God I'm in love already...

Box 1 Contents:
    xs91mpo.jpg
    World of Final Fantasy for PS4!!
    Zergling Slippers!!
    Probe plush doll!! (WITH sound effects)
    Moogle hood+blanket!!

Close up of the Slippers:
    W3Fj3Hd.jpg
    Wearing these bad boys right now and they are really comfy. I was worried because the size says Medium, and I wear a size 14 shoe... But they still fit!

Wife posing with Moogle blanket:
    SepOnvu.jpg
    My daughter loved it too but didn't want to be the model for some reason. My wife reluctantly agreed! This thing is super soft and warm. Perfect for laying in the basement!

That would have been plenty for me but my Santa had other plans!

Box 2 opened!
    ZkA7GaY.jpg
    Oh my God I'm in love again!!
    Shaun of the Dead pillows!!

Close up of the 8-bit looking Ed and Shaun from one of my favorite movies of all time:
    tyhjf4z.jpg

The whole lot in one picture:
    aM6okVi.jpg

Thank you so much Santa... Who I believe is @ArcTangent !!

As I said before he left me a hint with his Proxy message. The message was signed:

30(A2-FC-AF-BF-F3-B8-A7-F3-C8)

I spent an awful lot of time on this with a coworker (we did hex -> binary, hex -> ascii, loaded up wireshark and attempted to make a custom packet). We knew we were close when we found out that katakana is UTF-16, and we started narrowing it down. However when we typed the entire phrase in we got gibberish so we thought we were at a dead end (coworker even had sites open to see if he can write/read Katakana). Until we found out that 0x30A2, 0x30FC, 0x30AF together spelled out "ARC", and then we looked at the list of Santas and found @ArcTangent. So we converted ArcTangent to Katakana.... which didn't give us the same values. However when we did "Arc" and "Tangent" separately it came out perfectly!

Thank you so much! You kept us busy at work today and I had a lot of fun opening the gifts. Thank you for your generosity!!

urahonky on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hello, yes, It was I who forgot to include any form of note or anything. And yeah, them's the unicode values for アークタンジェント. Had to at least obfuscate it a little.

WoFF should have plenty of dad jokes in there for you. I really love the localization job they did on it, but I'm in too deep on that stuff.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Seems I will be on the lookout for a package from the overworked elves of Amazon.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    10 minutes in and I love it. Great VA work so far.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    vyefs8gvj6gk.gif

...And Item #2 arrived!

I'm suddenly realizing that I don't know how many items to be expecting. Three is a good number! But, if there is a #4, how will I know, and should I wait?

Being a Santee is hard, yo.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif
    huzzah! My Santa returned for another giftening!
    MuHoKhI.jpg
    a wrapping bag... with an attached note:
    hngWwG7.jpg
    Although I'm a huge fan of Keanu this typically a disconcerting message to receive...
    T97dFfF.jpg
    but it was actually a clever misdirection!

Thanks @Big Classy!

Good lord that was worrying! Estimated date for delivery was January 2-28! Was thinking thinking I should send a message via proxy to let you know it's on its way but then didn't wanna ruin the surprise. Glad it arrived before Christmas!

On the other hand, I have 1, 2, and 3, with no information that those are NOT the complete set, so...

maybe I should just open them.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif
    cphTZtF.jpg

The game, not the cat.

Thanks for the game, Santa! I have been criminally negligent with regards to playing AAA titles this year, so at least I can say I've played something.

And as I understand it, there's another package(s) coming. I eagerly await them.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    On the other hand, I have 1, 2, and 3, with no information that those are NOT the complete set, so...

maybe I should just open them.

Or, if you're a terrible person and hate making people happy, you could wait until December 25th to open them. Not that I would name any names...@Bear is Driving

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mighty wrote: »
    All is quiet on my western front... wait.. was that a gift on the horizon?

... just a shadow...

paranoia-792.jpg

The perspective of this photo kind of makes it look like he's got some kind of chicken arms.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif

Part 2 of my gifts have arrived! My Santa and I communicated via email and he let me know when they were coming. So let's dig in!

Wild Boxes appear! Unfortunately, none of our cats were available for inspection purposes, so hopefully these boxes do not contain hazardous materials.

31654929581_7c931e788b.jpg
    Untitled by Cameron Talley, on Flickr

What's inside?

30929712634_9d03d8e090.jpg

AWESOME! My wife and I have wanted this since it came out but haven't been able to get it yet. Here's the note that was included:

31398796520_1897e8eaf9.jpg

So what's in the other box?

30961636303_6dbbb58b26.jpg

MORE YOSHIS! YOSHIES? However you say it. Multiple Yoshi!

Here are the notes:

31654929621_9d9dbe04cb.jpg

30961636143_a988f97d56.jpg

This is great! My wife claimed the pink one, and my son (who is 3 months old) decided that blue was his favorite, so he gets blue, and I get the traditional green Yoshi. We haven't had a chance to fire up the game yet, but I'll be on Christmas break from work soon so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks so much Santa! My Santa has told me that he will reveal himself soon, and there might be one more small present. So hopefully I'll be able to thank you properly soon!

In sum: my Santa is awesome. Merry Christmas!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited December 2016
    Partial gift get today. According to proxy the next phase will come tomorrow and perhaps next week. Amazon elves are getting slammed.

No pics yet as I'm off to a Christmas school concert so I'm typing all this on my phone.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Ok, this time for real, two more packages arrived and based on a note from Santa via Proxy, it's a...

GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif

A pile of gifts!
    qpx9jh6ceubl.jpg

Ok, first up, the one my wife said I'd hate!
    qvs9k5i2tm0q.jpg
    t4ofdig97z1x.jpg

Ok, yeah, I can laugh at that. Well played, Santa! My son quickly begged to hang it in his room. ;-)

Second, a pair of packages for the progeny!
    mh1v691izsyh.jpg
    qv5u1qsakhu8.jpg

Pokeymans! They love them! And they very politely said thank you (when I reminded them to.)

Third package, very heavy:
    m04hktpeubwm.jpg
    vsjbf5m4uwb3.jpg

Oh man... SO AWESOME!

ylaarpj6ltbu.jpg

Nailed it, Santa!

Last but not least, an innocent cardboard tube from a company I'm very familiar with...
    398jn96r9m96.jpg
    nsj2ieb32x9a.jpg

YESSSSSSS!!! I'm hanging that on the wall next to my signed AC:Rev poster!

THE COMPLETE SET:
    5ojl94qpclhk.jpg

That, plus the earlier steam game, Santa, you're amazing and way more generous than I feel I deserve this year. Thank you very, very much! Step forward and take a bow!

<3<3<3

Another message from Santa via Proxy:
    Ipg3FID.png
    Chosen undead.

The way is no longer unknown.

But the darkness remains.

If we could but illuminate our path. Yet how?

Thine eyes have yet more to lay upon.

The great forest gives forth it's offerings.

Soon.

Okay, it's totally butt scorpions this time. Like seriously read that right and almost every line is referencing it.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    Yay! proxy sends me a message with a code, saying gift 2/2 is on its way
    booo USPS says such code does not exist

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Holy poop butts Santa!
    You know what you did, and it is amazing!
    I will take proper pictures, but seriously thanks so much!

Edit: Though I'm still at a loss as to your true identity. Reveal yourself so that you may bask in my gratitude!

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm so happy that Dark Souls print is making the rounds this Secret Santa. It makes me warm and fuzzy. Like ... sitting next to a Christmas bonfire~

• ihaveachairihaveachair Registered User regular
    GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif

Tore open an Amazon box looking for my latest gift to wrap (seriously, this year's Christmas is brought to my fam by the power of Amazon and Prime) only to discover they were already wrapped and NOT PURCHASED BY ME! Much excite!
    IIRbazX.jpg
    The fact that they are numbered 1 and 3 makes me believe there is a 2 to come, but all I can think of is the Boy Meets World chicken senior prank, which led me down a rabbit hole of disappointment that there aren't more/better clips from the show on YouTube...

The opening of Gift 1...
    LONSEhP.jpg
    Yay!!! I've wanted a new copy of this for AGES after my disc broke. The cat approves! Or is ambivalent...hard to tell with him sometimes...

Onto Gift 3...
    XzrRsNT.jpg
    SO FLUFFY! SO CUTE! SO EXCITE! I love Totoro (so much that I have art I made and have hanging in my wee one's room currently that used to grace our apartment living room walls.
    GqaOYJV.jpg
    The bebe approves!

Thank you Santa!! I'm eagerly awaiting Gift 2, which is assume is a blanket? Unless that comment was all a clever ruse.....

3v72GoR.jpg
    3DS: 5129-3454-7122
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    Yay! proxy sends me a message with a code, saying gift 2/2 is on its way
    booo USPS says such code does not exist

If you dump the code into Google, does it link to a tracking site?

GiftGet3_zps523eefea.gif

Seeing that all the kids are asleep, I will open up the present that the Amazon elves got around to delivering today.

Do you want to help Cooper?
    cooper1.jpg

Hmm...Guess not.
    cooper2.jpg

First up is something that my oldest is going to love as he is a Star Wars fan.
    x-wing2.jpg

x-wing.jpg

And yes, I will put it in his stocking.

The second is something that will be the number one choice for dessert even with all the Christmas cookies being everywhere.
    cups.jpg

cups2.jpg

For some strange reason my wife loves chocolate and peanut butter together AND Trader Joe's. It's a match made in heaven. I might even get some for myself. Very nice choice.

Proxy has said that some other gifts are on their way but will be late due to the holiday crush. I'm astounded at the generosity of this board every year. It's amazing how strangers can prove that there is still good in this world even if 2016 has tried to stomp it down at times. Thank you, O secret Santa!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Snip

I love everything about these gifts. I'm very envious of that DS2 Artwork book, and I'm also glad the DS1 map print is making rounds. I might have to pick one of those up for myself.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Merry Christmas, @Houn!

Sorry for ... uh ... messing up the Steam gift thing and kinda giving away the "secret" part of Santaing early on. It used to be you could cut a part of the URL out of the gift link and it would anonymize who it came from. I guess they either changed that or I did it wrong. :D

Anyway, hope you're enjoying Stellaris - there're some awesome enhancements coming to it in the new year - and that your Dark Souls-flavored other gifts hit the mark; it looked to be one of your favorites. I got you the Dark Souls 2 book instead of the DS1 book because it had waaaaay better reviews. The first poster was a bit of a gag gift; I'm glad your son is excited about it! The second, of course, was totally a copycat, but a good one, I think, since you posted something to the effect of "Oh, man - I have to get that eventually!" when the first giftee posted it. You mentioned playing Pokemon with your kids, and I figured good odds they'd have a Pikachu around the house, so I went with my favorites from the show; man, I love Jigglypuff's singing.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and Happy New Year!

Elvenshae on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    My stuff arrived at my santees a day early. Nice.

• thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    I've received some packages from my Santer. I haven't even opened but one box as it is quite painful to be trying to pose seductively with my gifts. Giving it a few more days and then I will do my Gift Get....

Slashed throat and all!

i4ouop4mtw0p.jpg

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Christmas card in the mail! I'm so late. Sorry santee!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What the hell, @thejaxx ?

shadowane wrote: »
    My stuff arrived at my santees a day early. Nice.

I ordered something for my wife a month ago. I checked on it and it kept on saying preparing to ship. I checked on it again last week and it gave me a tracking number that ended in CN.

I typed that into the USPS system and yep, it's coming on the slow boat from China.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    My Santee has just been taken care of...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Box received. Proper post tonight.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ?
    cfp32877dva8.png

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Did the box cut you in the throat? Or did you just have a surgery?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    ?
    cfp32877dva8.png

han-solo-who-me.jpg

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    ?
    cfp32877dva8.png

han-solo-who-me.jpg

7vB9rmg.jpg

?
    cfp32877dva8.png

han-solo-who-me.jpg

7vB9rmg.jpg

6ab76ee0f41617036a648fdf37679661.jpg

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Second package has dropped and uh...yeah, this is pretty dang awesome.

Box and paper!
    ac9yaepcbrmj.jpg

Card!
    seassvhmuc9w.jpg

A box, inside another box?! What sorcery is this?
    l2e5qbbpoeca.jpg

These are awesome, I love it!
    bpdpp407k3tm.jpg
    5urvf6sk6j4b.jpg
    4gmvqtpl0sz6.jpg

@ihaveachair - These are really, really cool. Thanks a ton!

Mechanical on
    1.jpg 41.6K
    2.jpg 106.2K
    3.jpg 58.6K
    5.jpg 55.8K
    6.jpg 49.4K
    edited December 2016
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    ?
    cfp32877dva8.png

han-solo-who-me.jpg

7vB9rmg.jpg

The Wolf

Oh... funny that. I was actually the one being taken care of.

3t76nsckdjft.png

Thanks @Halfazedninja for the games! Just in time for the backlog challenge to ensue.

KoopahTroopah on