As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of HDTV's and the buyings!

DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
I am biting the bullet and picking up a HDTV this week, either LCD or Plasma.

My main choice was plasma. I hear conflicting reports of plasma and burn in, I dont buy into it completely, but you have some people who are basicly on the "ZOMG 30 MINUTES MADDEN = BROKE TV" and others who say "burn in dosent exist permanently if you do a burn in for a 100 hours or so and treat your tv well", I plan on console gaming a moderate amount, I generally do it for 2-4 hours at a time, if friends are over and a new release is out (like say guitar hero) weill play for like 8 hours straight etc etc. I never fall asleep in front of the console or anything like that.....

Should I just go with an LCD?

also, this is the model in mind:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254774&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat21300050049&id=1169512771844
1080i-p isnt really a large concern for me with the viewing distance now, and in the concievable future.

steam_sig.png
DiannaoChong on

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    as far as I know, the threat of burn in has been greatly exagerated.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    Unless you leave the game paused for a stupid amount of time, or play something with a static UI for days on end, you should be fine. The biggest issues with plasmas are the cost (you're paying for the ability to hang it on your wall, so if you don't actually care about the thinness, it becomes less worth it) and the screen fading over time. After 10 years, the screen will be markedly less bright than it is on day one.

LCDs are also pricey, but don't have burn in problems. They do, though, have comparatively shitty contrast ratios. (Say, 1000:1 for a decent set compared to 5000:1 for DLP or LCoS and 10000:1 for plasma). (Translated, blacks aren't very black and details can be lost in dark scenes.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    contrast ratios never really bothered me, just at 42" I need either lcd or plasma becuase projection always looks like crap to me, along with size (Id say weight too, but they dont look like there that heavy anymore)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you're married to either LCD or plasma, I'd go plasma. Better picture and lower cost.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have friends that tend to fall asleep while playing video games which can be a problem if it happens over and over when it comes to burn in. Personally I enjoy the DLP technology, but they're much larger than LCD tvs.

urahonky on
  • Options
    scratchdeskscratchdesk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Given the choice I'd likely go with LCD. Though to be quite honest I'm a bit of a stickler for picture quality so the last set I purchased was a 36" Wide HD tube. I'd read up on reviews of a few particular models no matter what you do.

scratchdesk on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just bought a 32" Toshiba LCD and couldn't be happier. I can't speak for 42"ers, but at 32 1080 = 720 resolutions (I compared a sharp 1080p set next to their 720p set and couldn't tell a difference). Although at 32" range I was limited to LCDs, I did some reading on plasmas and noted that in general today's well-calibrated LCDs and plasmas were nearly tit-for-tat as far as picture quality goes. The biggest difference is in black levels, where the plasmas will have deeper black levels but LCDs will have brighter white levels (due to the difference in how the panels are lit).

In response to the contrast level hype above, throw it out the window. Manufacturer contrast ratios are the biggest load of bull you could possibly imagine. Read this explanation for some background information.

theantipop on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where are you putting it and how are you using it?

LCD
    + Direct sunlight. No glass screen = no glare, picture quality holds up better than plasma in bright rooms.
    + PC use. Windows taskbar is a major burn-in contributor when using plasma + PC.
    + High altitude (6500+ feet)does not affect LCDs, but can affect the gases used in plasma sets producing a buzzing noise. Certain plasma sets are rated for high altitude, but usually cost more.
    + No burn-in, althought plasmas have greatly improved in dealing with burn-in.
    + Lower power usage.
    + Easier to install. LCDs are usually lighter and tougher than plasma, and can usually be installed by the end user. Plasmas are best installed by a professional on a wall that can bear a lot of weight.

Plasma
    + Better picture quality - contrast ratio, deeper blacks, color saturation - in controlled lighting situations.
    + No blurring, although LCDs have greatly improved in dealing with blur.
    + Wider viewing angles.

If I wanted a living room TV, I'd probably go LCD. More versatile, lower maintenance.
    If I were going the full-on home theatre route, I'd probably go plasma. Higher maintenance, but near-CRT picture quality.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    theantipop wrote: »
    In response to the contrast level hype above, throw it out the window. Manufacturer contrast ratios are the biggest load of bull you could possibly imagine. Read this explanation for some background information.

True, manufacturers exaggerate their contrast ratios, but that doesn't alter the fact that different technologies have very different ratios. LCD is the worst, DLP and LCoS are better, plasma is very good, and CRTs have a theoretically infinite CR.

Also, the brighter whites of an LCD aren't terribly important in good viewing conditions. Most people have the brightness on their TVs cranked up too high, anyway.

ElJeffe on