As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

quintessential music of the 1990's

12346»

• Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I totally forgot The Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun has a vocal by Noel Gallagher.

Gorak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    I totally forgot The Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun has a vocal by Noel Gallagher.

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

I felt dirty when I found ot that I liked a tune featuring the whiny manc twat.

Gorak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

I already feel dirty liking anything from The Chemical Brothers. Noel Gallagher only makes it negligibly worse.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My Bloody Valentine

More influential than Radiohead?

Better than Radiohead?

So many questions...

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

I already feel dirty liking anything from The Chemical Brothers. Noel Gallagher only makes it negligibly worse.

Dissing the Chemical Brothers is a step too far, I'm writing a letter to your parents.

Gorak on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    Sam wrote:
    Oasis are shite, but I like some of whatsisname Gallagher's solos.

Probably the guitarist Gallagher (Noel) - the one who can actually sing and basically wrote all of the songs. If he'd been a solo artist I'd most likely rate him a lot higher.

So if he could sing better than the other guy...why did they need him? I recall reading he demanded complete creative control or something...

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    My Bloody Valentine

Better than Radiohead?

So many questions...

More influential? Yes. Better? no. They have a stagnant career, and as amazing as loveless is, it doesn't match the scope of Kid A or the emotional impact of OK Computer.

Sam on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    My Bloody Valentine

Better than Radiohead?

So many questions...

More influential? Yes. Better? no. They have a stagnant career, and as amazing as loveless is, it doesn't match the scope of Kid A or the emotional impact of OK Computer.

That's what I keep telling myself.

But I can't stop listening to Sometimes. It's been like 3 weeks now!!!

Also, Isn't Anything is also freaking amazing. Loveless is near perfection, but Isn't Anything is a little more daring and structurally interesting.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

Dissing the Chemical Brothers is a step too far, I'm writing a letter to your parents.

Meh. I've seen them live three times, and they were underwhelming every time. I don't think they're bad, I just think they're overrated.

Feral on

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Gorak wrote:

Is that who that is?
    Huh. I never knew that.

Meh. I've seen them live three times, and they were underwhelming every time. I don't think they're bad, I just think they're overrated.

I'm putting that down to jet-lag. They've rocked when I've seen them - or maybe I should put that down to copius amounts of class A.

Gorak on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Guys, remember that time that Greeday didn't suck so much? That was a great couple-years wasn't it?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Guys, remember that time that Greeday didn't suck so much? That was a great couple-years wasn't it?

Depends how old you are. I bought Dookie on tape.

Gorak on
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'll have to second at least a few of these.

Black Crowes- I'd put Remedy on there at least.
    Faith No More- The Real Thing (where Epic is from) was from '89 (I believe), but anything from Angel Dust (A Small Victory, Midlife Crisis) would be 90s.
    Dave Matthews- I'd go with something off Before These Crowded Streets. But anything mentioned already works too.

Haven't seen some of these mentioned yet:

Blues Traveller- Runaround.. But Anyway.. Hook..
    Ice Cube- Wicked.
    L7- Pretend We're Dead.
    4 Non Blondes- What's Up
    Breeders- Cannonball
    Tori Amos- I'd think.. my girlfriends of the time loved her.. maybe 'God' (that video with her and the rats is what I remember)
    The Cure- Friday I'm in Love or something else off Wish
    Bush- anything off Sixteen Stone.. Machinehead maybe.
    Enigma- Sadeness or Return to Innocence..
    Ozzy Osbourne- No More Tears...

God, I feel much older now.

Edit:

Forgot a couple...

Rollins Band- Liar
    Various- Hackers Soundtrack
    Helmet- Unsung
    Candlebox- Far Behind
    Collective Soul- December
    Presidents of the USA- Lump or Peaches
    Soul Asylum- Someone to Shove

Ok. That's enough. :oops:

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    milath wrote:
    Dave Matthews- I'd go with something off Before These Crowded Streets. But anything mentioned already works too.
    If you're going with Before These Crowded Streets, the only correct choice is Crush. Best song on the album, no question.

I also saw no mention of Nine Inch Nails, which is, well, dumb. Closer would be the obvious choice, but I'm not horribly familiar with their stuff.

There's also no Alanis Morisette, which I am suprisingly and entirely comfortable with.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    milath wrote:
    If you're going with Before These Crowded Streets, the only correct choice is Crush. Best song on the album, no question.

I also saw no mention of Nine Inch Nails, which is, well, dumb. Closer would be the obvious choice, but I'm not horribly familiar with their stuff.

There's also no Alanis Morisette, which I am suprisingly and entirely comfortable with.

Personally, I was thinking... *cough*Don't Drink the Water*cough* :P I think that song took more chances, musically. But yeah, lyrically, Crush is definitely one of the better songs on that album.

NIN was mentioned in the OP I believe. Head Like A Hole would be an obvious-er choice to me really. Picking nits there though, Downward Spiral (Closer's home) was definitely the superior overall album, but Pretty Hate Machine is what put them on the musical map, hence my preference.

Why no Alanis? While I wouldn't go with Ironic due to extreme overplaying at the time, Jagged Little Pill is a pretty good album overall IMO. Lots of hot chick anger on there.

milath on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh. Damn. Forgot one more.

Something off Queensryche - Empire. Early, early 90s ftw! Jet City Woman or Silent Lucidity were the real big ones back in the DAY.

milath on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alice in Chains been mentioned at all yet? One of the longest lasting and more talented grunge bands out of them all.
    Ok so how many people have come in and said, why hasnt alice in chains been mentioned yet?

Yes they belong as well.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Salvation wrote:

Well there's a few other choices to add to that list. Specifically, March of the Pigs, Hurt (which had a particularly memorable video if I recall), Head like a Hole, Sin, and The Perfect Drug (off the Lost Highway soundtrack). There's also Reptile which was a bit of a favorite of mine.

Operative21 on