As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, December 23, 2016 - Fray

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2016 in Camp Weedonwantcha
image[Camp Comic] Friday, December 23, 2016 - Fray

Fray

Fray

http://campcomic.com/comic/386

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I'm worried he's going to accidentally hit Seventeen. My heart can't take that.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Seventeen is going to unleash the fury. Er... her fury. I don't mean just untie Brian.

Punch the blonde one first, Seventeen!

• ApplemaskApplemask Registered User regular
    TO BE CONTINUED

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oooh, this is all just going to end in disaster...

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Go Seventeen, Go! Its telling they are doing this less from wanting to torture Brian and more from self defense now.

poipoigirl on
  • kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    I don't think it'll end that disastrous. Clearly, Brian is giving quite a fight but Seventeen is presumably "just" going to call him down again. I'd just like to know how exactly he ended up escaping from the web.

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    It's a small part of the comic, but I'm continually impressed by the clever titles given to these strips.

Merry Christmas and general good wishes to Adam, Katie, Briguy (I know his name ain't on the credits, but his comments, insights and good humour are a component of why I enjoy these comics...sorry to single you out, guy!), and everyone else who comments on these comics. Sometimes I'll see 40+ comments on here and think "Oh no, someone started a fight," but it's almost always people being cool to each other and enjoying some damn fine comics. Cheers to you!

• fadinginterestfadinginterest Registered User regular
    Hey everybody. I just wanted to let you know that we lost Sestina today. She was 19. I didn't think she would have the last two years because it involved a move from Atlanta to Boston. When the Camp Kickstarter hit, I pledged at the level to put Sestina in the comic and told Katie that Sestina was very old. Thank you Katie and Adam for getting her into the comic before we lost her. It was a wedding present for my wife and she loved it.

You can see her here (in the lash-out comic from September 2015): http://campcomic.com/comic/lash-out

Everyone here is wonderful and Camp Weedonwantcha brings me immeasurable joy. Thank you.

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Soft kitty
    Roped kitty
    Little ball of rage

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Huuuuuuuuuuuuge condolences to you and your family, Fadinginterest. I'm happy that you got so many years with Sestina, but I know how much it stings. You be well.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    Just a small critique and I'm not certain how to fix it myself, but the final panel read to me like Seventeen was running away (which may actually be what's happening?) or she ran forward to punch a guy. I genuinely thought you meant to depict her punching the guy until I saw the motion lines on him. Maybe if you flip that guy in the air and position him a little more to the right of Seventeen, it'd read clearer? Because in the panel where it shows everyone, the guy is to the right of Seventeen, but in the final panel, he's coming in from her left.

As a matter of fact, where is Brian and the other campers in relation to Malachi and Seventeen in that last panel? Are they really all to the left? Because that left framing bush threw me off if that's the case. I was under the impression the big scene was happening behind them if Seventeen was running off.

• KempsonKempson Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I had the same problems Android 21 3/7 had with understanding the last panel.

Kempson on
  • hipsoehipsoe Registered User regular
    I read the last panel differently. Malachi takes a minute to think about what to do and Seventeen reacts without really thinking and just rushes to help Brian. I think that Brian saw Seventeen heading his way, and he sends them flying, which is why the guy is off of the ground. But only Adam and Katie know for sure! And, I'm so very sorry for your loss, Fadinginterest, I hope the memories of your sweet kitty bring you comfort in the coming days, months and years.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!

• Mr FishMr Fish Registered User regular
    oh no! PLEASE don't accidentally hit Seventeen, PLEEEEASE don't accidentally hit Seventeen! D:

• lostjellylostjelly Registered User regular
    Same, I couldn't understand the last panel. For some reason my subconscious wants to assume that Brian and the fight is happening to the right of the panel instead of to the left. I remember taking a class on comics once and the artist telling us that you should always orient motion in a panel from left to right so that you're going in the direction of reading, maybe this is what he meant.

Thank you. Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, have a rocking weekend, everyone! Please be safe!

@fadinginterest I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how bad it hurts, but I hope the memories you have together lessen your pain.

• ShadymanShadyman Registered User regular
    <3@fadinginterest I was wondering what we did to deserve such a well-drawn kittycat in that comic.

• ShadymanShadyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    @lostjelly: Maybe it was the placement of that dark bush to Malachi's left in panel 6? That bush kinda threw me (haha, get it? :D)

Shadyman on
  • SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    No problems with that last panel,

Panel 4: you see the guy running in
    Panel 6: you see the guy sent flying

Nice, clear narrative flow. Lots happening in the struggle scene, a little attention really expands your reading value. Not just for that bit either.

• EmptyMatchbookEmptyMatchbook Registered User new member
    To paraphrase the philosopher Bad Boys II: stuff just got REAL.

• WelcomeToGoodburgerWelcomeToGoodburger Registered User regular
    Really hoping Malachi does something good here. I know 17 will since they're do close, but we never really see any Malachi Brian moments.

• BytEfLUShBytEfLUSh Registered User regular
    Damn it, can't find out how to quote people here, so...

@briguy - No, that can't happen, please not... If it does, the rope kids are done for. I just hope that her presence will calm him, and they'll decide it's easier to just let him go (cue Portal 2 credits).

@Android 21 3/7 - I thought the same. I love this comic for putting in so much detail in everything, and I'm *really* not one of those who criticize everything, but this didn't feel right. My suggestion would be to horizontally mirror panel 5, so that Malachi is facing the same direction as Seventeen.

@fadinginterest - I thought today's (ok, friday's) comic was gonna hit me in the feels, but your comment did so instead. I am really sorry for your loss... The only words I can say are those that may be a bit cliche, but - at least in this case - true: Your cat had a long life, obviously filled with much love and attention. Every creature dies, but it's the life that matters, and your cat had a happy one. And you were the ones to bring that happiness. It is hard, but you should not sorrow over her death, but celebrate all the joy, happiness and love you brought to her. As I said, this sounds like an old cliche, but I really do mean it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Or regular morning that I hope is still merry!

• John LittleJohn Little Registered User regular
    Merry Christmas, all, where applicable, and merry midwinter day if not!

(Yes, I know that "officially" we "start" winter at the solstice, but I think the older designation of it as roughly the middle makes a bit more sense from a qualitative standpoint...)

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I also interpreted the final panel as Seventeen running away from the fight -- my first thought was that she was going to bring Purdy to de-escalate the situation. But perhaps she is running toward the fight. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    Hey guys! I George Lucas-ed that last panel. I just wanted to be as clear as possible that Seventeen is running towards her friend.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    Thanks, Katie! It reads so much clearer now!

KatieJRice wrote: »
    Hey guys! I George Lucas-ed that last panel. I just wanted to be as clear as possible that Seventeen is running towards her friend.

Ugh. Now I'll have to petition for the release of the non-special edition in HD.

Thank you! (Also Neiman's bracelet in Hairline isn't colored.)

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Seventeen: The Princess Leia of Camp Weedonwantcha. And yes, I heard the news earlier.

• GedGed Registered User regular
    New panel six looks like seventeen just laid that kid out!

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    briguy wrote: »

That's intentional. Neiman always pairs his flesh bracelet with his hair rope. The guy knows how to accessorize.

AdamRW on
    AdamRW wrote: »
    briguy wrote: »

That's intentional. Neiman always pairs his flesh bracelet with his hair rope. The guy knows how to accessorize.

Whose... whose flesh is it?