As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TITANFALL 2 | The Frontier is Worth Every Part of This Fight! | EA buys Respawn

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Creeping up on 250 credits.

Buy the stealth rodeo ability OR the flying knee execution.

Now I know the execution won't add any advantage while I'm playing, but!..... flying knee execution.
    See, but the thing you REALLY want is the Grand Theft Auto execution where you kill them with their own gun.

I was going to grab that first... I'm still a little torn between that and the knee.

Decisions!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    KNIFE FACE STAB.

though i guess it's locked behind that dumb soda promotion? i'm glad there was that workaround for it.

Are you the magic man?
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Now I know the execution won't add any advantage while I'm playing, but!..... flying knee execution.

Stealth rodeo is a game changer. Means you don't instantly have smoke on you. Also makes it so your jump jets are silent'ish to not give away your movement.

To be quite honest once I realised all you have to do is bait out the smoke by hitting the rodeo alert and jumping to safety for a few seconds before diving back in (instead of sitting in the smoke like an idiot), I've found taking batteries is not actually an incredibly difficult task in the first place

That said, it probably helps that I use a shitload of grappling hooks which makes the act of returning to the rodeo position trivial

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Stealth rodeo is a game changer. Means you don't instantly have smoke on you. Also makes it so your jump jets are silent'ish to not give away your movement.

To be quite honest once I realised all you have to do is bait out the smoke by hitting the rodeo alert and jumping to safety for a few seconds before diving back in (instead of sitting in the smoke like an idiot), I've found taking batteries is not actually an incredibly difficult task in the first place

That said, it probably helps that I use a shitload of grappling hooks which makes the act of returning to the rodeo position trivial

The thing is, the rodeo and jet stream stealth perk is head and shoulders above any of the others currently available (although full credit to anyone who takes the "hover in air while aiming" perk, because I always find it funny killing those people).

If I'm on my Ronin and I don't kill you with smoke, I can absolutely guarantee you I'm spiteful enough to follow you to the ends of the earth if you steal my battery (the only time it consistently happens is when my Ronin is locked into an execution animation, and even then it isn't actually a big deal because the plan is to nuke my Titan and try get a fresh one).

PSN Fleety2009
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    This is one of the most poorly designed games I have ever played.

And yet I feel very compelled to unlock all the things. Human condition is a strange thing.

Curiosity. This is a very strong statement, what makes it that way to you? I think it certainly has its flaws (a couple of things are out of balance for sure), but that isn't really a design decision I would argue as much as it is the changing environments of the meta of an online game.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Apo hates good things

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

And yet I feel very compelled to unlock all the things. Human condition is a strange thing.
    Why do you feel it is so poorly designed? I agree that it is a very strong statement to say it's up there in the ranks of Worst Designed Games Evar. I've played some super shitty games that had great concepts, but I still think it's overall a very good game (obviously just the opinion of a dude who yells "No fucking way, man!" at my TV from my couch).

Some of the maps do seem counter-intuitive to the wall-run concept, but overall I feel the maps are good for what they need. I also really, really, really enjoy the locked down idea of the Titans, where each has their own body type, weakness, and strengths, but you can customize some of their specific attributes. In TF1, it seemed like most everyone just used the same type of builds. In this game, I'm seeing more and more variance since they nerfed Tone. It makes me happy.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    So between yesterday and this morning before work I managed a dozen or so matches with my Stepson. He really likes pilot vs pilot, which I didn't get because... you know... Titanfall. But it's actually quite a nice change. Just some easy team deathmatch minus any weird scoring to worry about and it levelled the hell out of my Pilot. It also gave me the opportunity to try out a bunch of weapons and builds that I hadn't previously.

I also bought the Knee Plus execution and it's everything I'd hoped it could be :lol: I made it to 40 about the same time and unlocked the stealth rodeo perk. I figure by the time I regen I'll probably have around enough credits to buy it outright.

I still like Stim and Cloak... I can't get the handle on Grapple consistently enough to make it worth taking over either of those. I can see how phase shift is good, but again... Stim/cloak are great. Stim with a rapidfire hipshooting weapon and cloak for when I can post up somewhere and work at longer ranges.

That rapid fire RPG (SBM?) is neat and fun to use, though not super effective with it yet. I have no idea how anyone can get the Softball to work. Put some more time into the CAR and am starting to get the hang of it consistently.

I also think the G2 is my new favorite weapon... Halfway through a match on Kodai I found a good perch and locked down 7 or 8 kills in about a minute while my turret covered my back. As long as I can keep a good handle on my engagement range I'm finding it's really solid.

What's everyone's pistol of choice? I had good luck with the Wingman Elite (I think it's the elite... the third one down). I snagged a few multikills with groups of players coming through a choke point and dumping rounds in for one/two-tap kills at a pretty good range.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Elite is projectile, but it's fast enough and lethal enough that it's a pros choice. P2016 has a nice balance between clip size and damage. RE-45 looks like it could make a decent finisher but it just takes too many hits to finish people off. Mozambique is for having fun with fast kills. Normal wingman seems like it's there for pseudo-sniping

VRXwDW7.png
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    I don't understand the normal wingman

the elite just seem to trump it in every category.

also anyone else feel that the carbine and CAR are too similar?

Someone tell me how to play Ronin... I've gotten pretty good with Tone and Ion, not bad with Scorch and Legion, now I feel that I need to expand my repertoire.

Also, I need to return some of those sword executions.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Someone tell me how to play Ronin... I've gotten pretty good with Tone and Ion, not bad with Scorch and Legion, now I feel that I need to expand my repertoire.

It depends a bit on how you want to play really; I personally go for the suicide build, which is nuclear injection and the new ability which phases you out as soon as you are doomed.

You want to try nuke as soon as possible (when you hit the phase / doomed state) because the only warning the other guy gets if you do it straight away is right after you come out of the phase. You need to sort of predict where the other guy is going to be once you phase out (is the enemy Titan's dash on cooldown? If not, you need to make a guess where he's going to dash to. Some of this depends on the Titan you are up against) for this to work.

Some games, this will work a bunch, and you'll call down 5-6 Titans, other games you won't get anyone.

Otherwise you should be flanking things and trying to catch enemy Titans unaware. The shotgun does a tonne of damage and you can reload it during a "phase", so I typically (try to remember to) unload it twice before I start swinging (the sword annoyingly has a slight knockback).

Don't walk towards an enemy Titan with your sword up; you're too slow.

Sword Core I don't get to use all that often, because I've typically taken a lot of damage by the time I've earned it, but don't be afraid to use it simply to use the dash around (the core reduces the cooldown of your dash to the extent it might as well not have one)

Your reflect sword ability works against other nuclear explosions (you'll still take a bit of damage, but if you are unable to find cover, and your own phase is on cooldown, then be aware that that is an option.

The Phase shift pilot ability works well with this set-up, because it allows you to avoid your own nuclear explosion (i.e. if you eject in a tunnel, you'll find yourself within the explosion).

Using this build successfully does mean that you'll have multiple boosts available as well.

Ronin's effectiveness is obviously dependent on the map you are playing on in addition to where you are fighting on said map.

I can try to remember to upload a game of me playing Ronin later on.

PSN Fleety2009
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

It depends a bit on how you want to play really; I personally go for the suicide build, which is nuclear injection and the new ability which phases you out as soon as you are doomed.

You want to try nuke as soon as possible (when you hit the phase / doomed state) because the only warning the other guy gets if you do it straight away is right after you come out of the phase. You need to sort of predict where the other guy is going to be once you phase out (is the enemy Titan's dash on cooldown? If not, you need to make a guess where he's going to dash to. Some of this depends on the Titan you are up against) for this to work.

Some games, this will work a bunch, and you'll call down 5-6 Titans, other games you won't get anyone.

Otherwise you should be flanking things and trying to catch enemy Titans unaware. The shotgun does a tonne of damage and you can reload it during a "phase", so I typically (try to remember to) unload it twice before I start swinging (the sword annoyingly has a slight knockback).

Don't walk towards an enemy Titan with your sword up; you're too slow.

Sword Core I don't get to use all that often, because I've typically taken a lot of damage by the time I've earned it, but don't be afraid to use it simply to use the dash around (the core reduces the cooldown of your dash to the extent it might as well not have one)

Your reflect sword ability works against other nuclear explosions (you'll still take a bit of damage, but if you are unable to find cover, and your own phase is on cooldown, then be aware that that is an option.

The Phase shift pilot ability works well with this set-up, because it allows you to avoid your own nuclear explosion (i.e. if you eject in a tunnel, you'll find yourself within the explosion).

Using this build successfully does mean that you'll have multiple boosts available as well.

Ronin's effectiveness is obviously dependent on the map you are playing on in addition to where you are fighting on said map.

I can try to remember to upload a game of me playing Ronin later on.

Mostly this. Try and flank and unload your shotgun, phase dash through/behind them while reloading, unload your shotgun again. Then its decision time: either you whack them some with your sword or dash away to repeat the process. Despite the fact that Ronin is the melee Titan, meleeing frequently will get you smoked often, unless the other person is really distracted.

I like to run with double Arc Wave so that if I can't get a flank I can Arc Wave them, dash in, shotgun, phase/reload through them/unload shotgun again and then dash away dash away all.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just can't give up Ion for anything (well, except maybe Tone when I feel like I need to borderline cheat). Vortex shield is amazing and there's nothing like turning around and stopping infantry rockets/grenades and sending them right back, or sending a full Legion barrage back at him. If they aren't careful and don't stop firing immediately the returned fire is usually enough to doom them since I usually run with the shield damage talent.

also the prime execution is cool as hell.

Are you the magic man?
    edited December 2016

I'll add on that sword core is amazing for acting like a pissed off bee with a death wish. It seems like a lot of people don't use it, but I do every chance I get. It does more damage than the normal sword swing and gives seemingly unlimited boosts, which is good for keeping your target close. Tone is very vulnerable up close and personal, as his devastating attacks need range or an immobile target when up close. Keep using boost to move around them, which is great against Tone's silo attacks. A lot of times, you'll have your target so scared they'll back themselves in a corner. Once done, just nuclear esplode, because they can't move out of the way when pinned in corner. Rinse and repeat. Pair this with a boost that can be used well a lot, like an anti-pilot/titan turret. You can end up with a stack of 6 turrets quickly.

While the sword is a ton of fun, the shotgun does a good deal of damage. Don't just spam it. Time all 4 of your shots for the weak points, then hit reload and phase shift directly behind them (turning while in phase). By the time you are out, you're now aiming at their back with a fully loaded shotgun.

You also need to learn when to run away from a fight. It's a hard thing to do because your natural instinct is to rush in and kick some ass, but there's not point in doing that when you are too far away down a narrow strip with long-range Titan's aiming at your forehead. Instead, turn and try to flank.

Another tip with Phase Shift: If you are locked down by Northstar's cables, you can phase shift out of them. Additionally, if you know you've been hit 3 times by Tone, you can phase shift and the target locks reset. Phase shift is so amazingly helpful against the two titan types that can wreck you: Tone and Northstar.

Ion isn't an issue with Ronin because as soon as he puts his shield up, just boost in and use the sword. Ion's laser is your only real enemy here. The trip mines can easily be avoided by dashing past them when you see they are thrown out, as you'll pass them before the laser sets up to create the mine's trigger.
    Scorch is a brute up close, but you can easily flank him into a position where he can't run away from your Nuclear Explosion.
    Legion's biggest weakness is his strength, which is smart core. As soon as he hits it, sword block, then phase behind him. He's stuck aiming, so it's a painfully slow turn that he'll have to go through. Just like Scorch, you can put Legion in a position where outrunning your Nuclear Explosion is going to be very hard to do.

No matter what titan you are running up against, Arc Wave is massive for slowing down your prey. Just learn when you need to use it, as you'll need to use it if your target turns to run. Using too early won't doom you, but it may prevent you from the kill if the target turns to run and Arc Wave is on cooldown.

Ronin is by far my favorite Titan. He's fast, sleek, and basically a giant metallic ninja. While he is squishy, his sword block does a damn good job of deflecting damage, and his low health makes him amazing for Nuclear Explosions and building up stacks of your boost. Lately I've been running with Scorch and I'm liking him almost as much as Ronin.

Le_Goat on
    I love this thread. Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I can pull some of this off :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Also a note for Ronin. A full health Ronin using sword block is the ONLY Titan that can (barely) survive a Nuclear Ejection.

So I'm watching the Best Friends Play of this and
    They're at time travel, and one of them is like "don't think about the butterfly effects of this" and my first thought is like, you're a day in the past at most, and everyone in the area dies so there's not really gonna be much of that. But then it strikes me that Marder radioing in and saying to test the ark early before we can fuck it up means that they were radioing out to other facilities outside the soon to be blast radius about someone with advanced cloaking tech shooting the place up, so this would have effects that aren't blown up right afterwards. I guess it'd probably put them on increased alert due to some presumably militia operative showing up and blowing up a facility would probably put the planet on heightened alert- shit, is the IMC being ready for the militia our fault?

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    cB557 wrote: »
    They're at time travel, and one of them is like "don't think about the butterfly effects of this" and my first thought is like, you're a day in the past at most, and everyone in the area dies so there's not really gonna be much of that. But then it strikes me that Marder radioing in and saying to test the ark early before we can fuck it up means that they were radioing out to other facilities outside the soon to be blast radius about someone with advanced cloaking tech shooting the place up, so this would have effects that aren't blown up right afterwards. I guess it'd probably put them on increased alert due to some presumably militia operative showing up and blowing up a facility would probably put the planet on heightened alert- shit, is the IMC being ready for the militia our fault?
    Both you and Anderson occupied similar time lines. When ever you clicked LB to Time Travel you were IN that time frame. You are the reason the base is on hightened alert. And because of the actions that occur. You are also the reason the specters are still on high alert in the present. Everyone in the time you travel to was killed so no one turned off the automated defenses off.

Psychotic One on
    Both you and Anderson occupied similar time lines. When ever you clicked LB to Time Travel you were IN that time frame. You are the reason the base is on hightened alert. And because of the actions that occur. You are also the reason the specters are still on high alert in the present. Everyone in the time you travel to was killed so no one turned off the automated defenses off.
    No, not the base being on high alert, the planet being on high alert, and ready for the militia fleet.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Further Ronin thoughts:

Ronin are great at doom sniping - they can dash and melee/execute at the same time so you can zoom in and doom/execute or straight up execute a doomed Titan before they know what is up. That's not hugely important in Annihilation necessarily but is very powerful in Last Titan Standing.

Be very careful when phase dashing as it is you, not the enemy, who will be telefragged.

You can do a lot of damage but you more or less want to get a single hit in and run if you aren't being a nuclear eject scumbag. While you can do a good mix up and keep another Titan confused you have only limited resources (one you run out of dashes and phase dash you are stuck) with which to do it and you're playing with fire as you do - a legion can easily predict you and blast a CQC power shot in your face for a cool 1.5 bars of damage, for example.

In attrition or bounty hunt if you spend your time farming executions and killing pilots and minions you will do your team a lot of good - the broadsword clears trash like nobody's business and tha adds up.

Apothe0sis on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Curiosity. This is a very strong statement, what makes it that way to you? I think it certainly has its flaws (a couple of things are out of balance for sure), but that isn't really a design decision I would argue as much as it is the changing environments of the meta of an online game.
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Why do you feel it is so poorly designed? I agree that it is a very strong statement to say it's up there in the ranks of Worst Designed Games Evar. I've played some super shitty games that had great concepts, but I still think it's overall a very good game (obviously just the opinion of a dude who yells "No fucking way, man!" at my TV from my couch).

Some of the maps do seem counter-intuitive to the wall-run concept, but overall I feel the maps are good for what they need. I also really, really, really enjoy the locked down idea of the Titans, where each has their own body type, weakness, and strengths, but you can customize some of their specific attributes. In TF1, it seemed like most everyone just used the same type of builds. In this game, I'm seeing more and more variance since they nerfed Tone. It makes me happy.
    The base CoD gameplay loop is terrible but something we are seemingly stuck with due to the fact that this is the way the games have always been done - tiny TTK, a garbage worse than useless radar coupled and insane range on weapons is a recipe for all sorts of nonsense. Given Titanfall builds on this it inherits all of that nonsense.

This combines with some bad level design to reward camping and provide power positions that are nigh unassailabke without ceding multiple kills - the star antenna in Angel City or the Antenna in Exoplanet are prime expamples of this. The maps themselves are largely unremarkable not having quick and simple call outs for a lot of the areas. The map design and bad radar removes a lot of strategic play and lowers the skill ceiling. Camping is highly possible and highly rewarding.

It has a number of technical pitfalls - terrible hit reg; stupid bullet magnetism and apparently awful NetCode given the rank insanity I regularly see on a 20-30ms ping; the way the parkour works is a hindrance as often as a blessing - getting stuck in random corners like you're Spider-Man, the fact that you're likely to do the edge scramble regardless of the height of the rim or parkour along a window ledge being excellent examples of where it actively gets in the way. Inputs are hugely unreliable - executions randomly do or do not trigger (nothing like tapping melee in a group of grunts only to execute the second one and get killed by the other two or another pilot as you do so) and that is a huge problem for Titan play because every time you hold to execute and knock another Titan away instead is potentially a great hazard. Player models are relatively small which makes it possibly to lose them underneath your gun.

The presence of AI trash in Attrition, at least, is bad - they interfere with player engagements (whether providing radar or direct cover, confusion due to gunfire or misidentitification. Reapers are the worst: even those on your own team fuck you up, every time - having a reaper drop in front or behind and ruining your dash, jumping in front of your power shot or otherwise getting in the way is all too common - actually fighting them is just an exercise in frustration and pointlessness whether in a Titan or on foot. The colours chosen to differentiate were very poor - regardless of colourblindness setting there is no good option for protanopes or deuteranopes, and if what I hear is correct isn't that useful for a long of non colourblindos.

There are lots of unfun skill ceiling lowering mechanics - nuclear ejection, Titanfall squishing, the ease with which the radar allows you to be shot in the back, and pilot sentries being the prime examples that spring to mind.

That said, I play a lot because it is the preference of most of my crew at the moment and it does a few things well - Titan play is by and large well thought out a lot of fun (but how come it takes two melee to destroy a pilot sentry as a Titan but only one as a pilot?), you slide off of a lot of things as you back into them provided you have a reasonable angle of attack (which is the worst in its ubiquity in other games, the shapes play to win and it always go positive), the unlock system is compelling and probably an additional source of my Stockholm Syndrome.

This combines with some bad level design to reward camping and provide power positions that are nigh unassailabke without ceding multiple kills - the star antenna in Angel City or the Antenna in Exoplanet are prime expamples of this. The maps themselves are largely unremarkable not having quick and simple call outs for a lot of the areas. The map design and bad radar removes a lot of strategic play and lowers the skill ceiling. Camping is highly possible and highly rewarding.
    That right there is why Bounty Hunt is the shiznit. Let those fuckers camp as much as they want, because they are just screwing their own team over by targeting pilot kills. Oh, nice 36 kills you have there to make up for your 250 score, which is why your team got their asses handed to them. Additionally, since getting killed does not boost the opposition's score, Bounty Hunt allow you to track down those campers with impunity. Mucho love that.
    It has a number of technical pitfalls - terrible hit reg; stupid bullet magnetism and apparently awful NetCode given the rank insanity I regularly see on a 20-30ms ping; the way the parkour works is a hindrance as often as a blessing - getting stuck in random corners like you're Spider-Man, the fact that you're likely to do the edge scramble regardless of the height of the rim or parkour along a window ledge being excellent examples of where it actively gets in the way. Inputs are hugely unreliable - executions randomly do or do not trigger (nothing like tapping melee in a group of grunts only to execute the second one and get killed by the other two or another pilot as you do so) and that is a huge problem for Titan play because every time you hold to execute and knock another Titan away instead is potentially a great hazard. Player models are relatively small which makes it possibly to lose them underneath your gun.
    Valid points. The execute pisses me off still; I don't care what they say about holding the button down because I clearly just tap and still perform an execute. They need an escape from that so you can budge out of it if it was unintended. The getting stuck while wall running is a big negative for me, and it's 20 times worse on Angel city. I still enjoy it overall, though. I admit to sometimes doing an execution in my Titan specifically because I'm outnumbered and know the enemy Titans will blow their ultimate abilities while I'm performing the execution, so I go untouched. I don't know how to fix that.
    The presence of AI trash in Attrition, at least, is bad - they interfere with player engagements (whether providing radar or direct cover, confusion due to gunfire or misidentitification. Reapers are the worst: even those on your own team fuck you up, every time - having a reaper drop in front or behind and ruining your dash, jumping in front of your power shot or otherwise getting in the way is all too common - actually fighting them is just an exercise in frustration and pointlessness whether in a Titan or on foot. The colours chosen to differentiate were very poor - regardless of colourblindness setting there is no good option for protanopes or deuteranopes, and if what I hear is correct isn't that useful for a long of non colourblindos.
    The AI is better in TF2 than it was in TF1. They were garbage before, but they now react faster/better and hit harder. I thought it was an improvement. In regards to the color settings, I think you can change them from the settings. I'm at work so I can't double-check, but I thought I changed those settings shortly after launch, simply because I could.
    There are lots of unfun skill ceiling lowering mechanics - nuclear ejection, Titanfall squishing, the ease with which the radar allows you to be shot in the back, and pilot sentries being the prime examples that spring to mind.
    I'm guilty of using all of these. Each one of them in frustrating as hell when used against you, but they are a part of the general mechanics. I use them to my advantage, but each comes with a sacrafice. Nuclear ejection is not a guarantee to kill anything, you miss out on other perks by choosing it, and you risk execution by attempting to get close enough for a kill. Titanfall squishing can be very helpful when you have a Titan ready, but are pinned outside by 2 or 3 Titans just waiting for your squishy fleshstick to come out. It's also effective when stealing a Titan bounty to prevent the opposition from gaining any further money. Radar is important and I feel really needs to continue existing, but I don't use it insanely often. I typically rely on audio queues as my primary, and radar as a secondary. Pilot sentries are the shit when you have them. I typically stack them up and use multiple turrets at very specific moments, depending on the map. Once you know where one is, you can outflank it or toss an ordnance to destroy it. Just like nuclear ejection, you give up other options for using it.

I'm not trying to counter your opinions of these. Yours are all valid and I totally get why you hate them. Titanfall is definitely a game where if you take advantage of all the mechanics, you'll excel and love the game. If you don't and are frustrated by them, you'll hate yourself for playing it. Then again... I guess that's the case with almost every game. Maybe I'm just babbling at this point.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Could we please pick one network and stick to it? I can never find anyone on either ps4 network.

A few quick responses: I have changed my colourblindness options, which initially endeared the game to me, but pilot highlighting is still nearly indiscernible for me.

I agree that all of the things I mentioned as lowering the skill ceiling are in the game and fun when you use them (insofar as winning and succeeding is fun and, it grants you your abilities and Titan faster) but they don't offer interesting counter plays. I obviously use those that fit my style, I am very strongly in favour of playing to win so I put all the blame on the developers not the players. The specific mechanics - nuke, sentries and titanfall squishing* are all powerful and if they fit your play style they should definitely be used as the point of the game isn't to impress anyone, but to beat everyone.

I also need to clarify the problem with the radar isn't that it exists it is that it is bad and unreliable - an empty radar guarantees nothing, titans don't show up, pilots don't show up, it reacts to sound. Strong, reliable radar makes for interesting plays, strategy and gunplay. Diligently checking your radar before evasively flitting across an intersection only to get shot in the back by someone coming across the intersection is just a bad thing. I've done it to people, I've had it done to me and it never feels like anything more than bad luck for one of us.

Also, let's be clear I'm not amazing but my K/D is climbing solidly and I am regularly involved in stomping the opposition. So, it am excelling, more or less, my complaints are not due to inability to play the game but rather knowing how the are plays and how to play it there are things which obviously should have been implemented differently or not at all.

* Engineer these by rodeoing a Titan and waiting for them to drop their electric smoke, they crouch in it and wait for the ping; you drop your Titan into the smoke

Could we please pick one network and stick to it? I can never find anyone on either ps4 network.
    You gotta switch networks man, happy hour isn't always convenient in the one you were last in!

edited December 2016
    I have changed my colourblindness options, which initially endeared the game to me, but pilot highlighting is still nearly indiscernible for me....

I also need to clarify the problem with the radar isn't that it exists it is that it is bad and unreliable - an empty radar guarantees nothing, titans don't show up, pilots don't show up, it reacts to sound. Strong, reliable radar makes for interesting plays, strategy and gunplay. Diligently checking your radar before evasively flitting across an intersection only to get shot in the back by someone coming across the intersection is just a bad thing. I've done it to people, I've had it done to me and it never feels like anything more than bad luck for one of us.
    It sucks that the color scheme isn't working for you. I wish I had a better solution.

I totally misread what you meant about the radar and can see how that would be frustrating. I actually enjoy a sound-only radar system, because that allows sneaking up on players. I try to use melee in some scenarios with grunts if I can get the jump on them before they start shooting, because I won't show up. It also makes the radar ping that much more powerful, because it can detect everything, not just shots fired. Additionally, I've used the sound radar to my advantage when dealing with enemy Titans in a drop zone. There's no way I can go toe-to-toe with a Titan out in the open, so when I'm near a group of grunts shooting, I'll shoot with them so as to make it only look like grunts shooting. It doesn't always work, but it may dissuade an enemy Titan from looking any further in an area if they think it's only grunts shooting. But unfortunately, you are totally right: tons of bad luck with getting shot from behind. My biggest gripe with the game is the shitty spawn locations. More often then not, I get spawned into a crappy location, sometimes 5 spawns in a row. I wonder if that's part of the bad luck.

Le_Goat on
    I honestly can't think of a time that it had taken me multiple deaths to shift someone off a point with the exception of the amped play mode, which is weird and rubbish on some maps.

More often than not if I kill someone from a position and I stay there I get out flanked and killed not long after because they see where I am from the kill cam.

Not really found the AI a problem in bounty or attrition because killing those things rather than pilots wins you games (I and Hermano got our asses handed to us by another team; 3 of their players must have got 70+ player kills in a bounty game, but we still won by about 1.5k points; happy ending we returned the favour next game along with getting points).

PSN Fleety2009
    edited December 2016
    The points Apothe0sis is talking about are sniper points way the fuck up high that have an insane vantage point if you can get up there. Sometimes there are also little cubbies that people shack into which take some work to smoke them out. Then there are the asshats that curl up in a corner inside a room, toss out an A Wall that cannot be flanked, and just sit there. It's lame as hell, but part of the game. Sometimes I'll just avoid that whole area and let them waste their time. But if I kill them, it's a teabaggin' they'll be getitn'! It's the only time I feel a teabaggin' is appropriate.... fucking campers

Although I'm finding that Scorch is so beautiful for getting campers. I've gotten real good at my canister aim, so I'll wipe out two jerks just sitting in a bank room with a turret. It pleases me greatly, like a Hutt being brought a long-sought bounty, except I'm not a large naked slug; I'm just a naked gamer.... possibly TMI

Le_Goat on
    Super high up sniper points are usually terrible because everyone can see you from everywhere and you don't have anywhere you can escape to quickly. You might get a few kills against inexperienced players but then they catch on and that spot is a deathtrap for the rest of the match.

I wish the cloak kit would go away

Most players who use it are trying to play TDM in bounty hunt, which is, you know, hilarious and usually worthless

But it's very annoying

edited December 2016
    I think I've lost my groove in alot of things lately. Been trying to regen the Salt Ball Launcher but in Attrition I'm having trouble hunting down the Reapers and I seem to have the luck of the second I change direction a gun materializes out of thin air behind me and I get dropped. Might have to switch over and give the LMGs some more time and put down the grenadier stuff for a bit. The SMR was a lot of fun, but I am having a rough time with the others.

I just liked flanking titans fighting and lobbing Salt into their fight. It does a decent amount of damage for not being a Titan Weapon.

Psychotic One on
    Super high up sniper points are usually terrible because everyone can see you from everywhere and you don't have anywhere you can escape to quickly. You might get a few kills against inexperienced players but then they catch on and that spot is a deathtrap for the rest of the match.

Have you ever actually used either of antenna I mentioned? You can duck in and out of visibility, have wicked head glitches and only other players with grappling hook can actually approach your position. You are, in no way, a sitting duck.

If that shit pisses you off, play bounty hunt

Le_Goat wrote: »
    I have changed my colourblindness options, which initially endeared the game to me, but pilot highlighting is still nearly indiscernible for me....

It sucks that the color scheme isn't working for you. I wish I had a better solution.

I totally misread what you meant about the radar and can see how that would be frustrating. I actually enjoy a sound-only radar system, because that allows sneaking up on players. I try to use melee in some scenarios with grunts if I can get the jump on them before they start shooting, because I won't show up. It also makes the radar ping that much more powerful, because it can detect everything, not just shots fired. Additionally, I've used the sound radar to my advantage when dealing with enemy Titans in a drop zone. There's no way I can go toe-to-toe with a Titan out in the open, so when I'm near a group of grunts shooting, I'll shoot with them so as to make it only look like grunts shooting. It doesn't always work, but it may dissuade an enemy Titan from looking any further in an area if they think it's only grunts shooting. But unfortunately, you are totally right: tons of bad luck with getting shot from behind. My biggest gripe with the game is the shitty spawn locations. More often then not, I get spawned into a crappy location, sometimes 5 spawns in a row. I wonder if that's part of the bad luck.
    Oh yeah, spawns are bonkers, They take ages to flip, so spawn trapping happens on the reg. And, of course, just random bonkers spawns like directly into a line of fire are not uncommon. I imagine this is partly a problem with the nature of the game and the map design - Titanfall's maps are lots of lanes and intersections, vertical space they often don't have obvious conflict points and they don't always have objectives so the action is likely do be distributed around the map. Given the radar you want to reduce the ability to be snuck up upon so corners and outer edges tend to be preferable for Titans taking map control which, coincidentally, is also where most of the spawn points sit

And yes, you can use the deficiencies in the radar to your advantage (it is why I am only a handful of executions shy of earning the phase execution). My problem with it is that there isn't an obvious point at which you can say "ah, I did X but I should have done Y" - usually, "paid attention to radar instead of just what was in front of me"/not just rushed into that room.etc. in the case of reliable radar. And I don't mean 24/7 map hacks, I just mean that the pie segments should be on regardless of sound.

Another good thing titanfall does is have the cardinal directions are displayed in the radar which is useful for callouts, unfortunately I am still not in the habit of paying attention to them or making calls.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Phasing, The Get Out of Fail Free Card.
    Also one of the quickest ways to piss me off in a gun fight. I sometimes stand still as to not get shot/kicked in the back of the head but that usually turns into a bullet to the temple. So many times I've seen my targets life go down to almost nothing and then *POOF* Fart in the wind and then I die while reloading.

So annoying.

Mr.Sunshine on
    Phase takes ages to activate for pilots like woah. I have come to the conclusion that it's better used offensively for mix ups against pilots and defensively against titans.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I wish Pilots vs. Pilots wouldn't show up in Mixtape. That mode is *not* what I'm looking for in a game with giant robits.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Stolen from Neogaf. Free 2xp/coliseum tickets as well as the execution etc.
    FREE DOUBLE XP CODES AND EXECUTION

1. log into https://gamerhub.mountaindew.co.uk/
    2. use the code "MTNDEW892 " <-- without the quotes, but include the single space!
    3. you can repeat step 2 10 times a day

Don't know about the every day bit yet, but I know you can punch it in at least 10 times as I did it earlier.

ALSO to the front page with you!

Does this still work? And is it UK only as the link implies, or does it work for the US site also?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Stolen from Neogaf. Free 2xp/coliseum tickets as well as the execution etc.
    FREE DOUBLE XP CODES AND EXECUTION

1. log into https://gamerhub.mountaindew.co.uk/
    2. use the code "MTNDEW892 " <-- without the quotes, but include the single space!
    3. you can repeat step 2 10 times a day

Don't know about the every day bit yet, but I know you can punch it in at least 10 times as I did it earlier.

ALSO to the front page with you!

Does this still work? And is it UK only as the link implies, or does it work for the US site also?

Yes, until the end of the year