As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

so how long did it take you to realize

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I never noticed the pun, but then I didn't figure out #pipe's name until like two years ago.

What the fuck does pound sign pipe mean?

It's numberpipe, you dork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I never noticed the pun, but then I didn't figure out #pipe's name until like two years ago.

It's octothorpepipe, you dolts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh I noticed at an instant

I'm not even a programmer - is it that obscure?

• Options
    hashtagpipe?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

It's actually pronounced "Octothorpe Pipe".

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

You are so late on that.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

You are so late on that.

It's entirely possible the "S" stands for "Slow".
    I'm unable to confirm or deny at this point though.

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    tic-tac-toe grid pipe

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    ht2dm09axg1e.jpg

This is... disappointing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

It's octothorpepipe, you dolts.

pipe sharp

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Yeah why is the one that looks like a bug got squished the sharp and the pointy b thing is flat? It should be the other way around

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah why is the one that looks like a bug got squished the sharp and the pointy b thing is flat? It should be the other way around

Because musicians way back for some reason used differently written "b" for both sharp and flat and over time one of them developed into a cross shape.

Don't ask me why they did that.

edit:
    stuff like that is also the reason that in German notation the note b is an h, but a b-flat is a b. So dumb.

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

Because musicians way back for some reason used differently written "b" for both sharp and flat and over time one of them developed into a cross shape.

Don't ask me why they did that.

Why did th- oh

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I thought it was meant to represent the the forum's sole function as a perpetual increase of Social Entropy. Because ++ is an operator that increases the value of the preceding variable by 1.

Unless I am crazy, we used to use it colloquially like adding

postcount++

To a post that served little other purpose than increasing your once-prized post count.

I thought it clever, so I reject this pun interpretation. Frown.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    "awry" is pronounced "a-RYE"

broken image link
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    programming language jokes are the lowest form of humor

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    no

cmon

uh uh

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    no

cmon

uh uh

6kmfr0rq6ymj.gif

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

My grandmother used to say it was sarcasm.

I'll never know if she was hilarious or grumpy.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    no

cmon

uh uh

dude

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    no

cmon

uh uh

dude

sweet

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Assembly jokes are, by definition, lower.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I'm history's greatest monster.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    also, i have been wearing the hell out of my Deus Ex leggings.

but i usually wore loose cotton drawstring pants to yoga 'cause i want to look like i am about to do tai chi at any moment, i guess
    ...i need to start doing yoga again -- i do love it.

but i have found it difficult to find a studio near me that's not full-on yogi, i am now your spiritual guide, listen to my mixtape or the other extreme of gym-rat look at my ass pragmatism. and for now, i need the motivation of a class to get me to practice. i'll get there.

I am like...the opposite of this but I get the feeling

Punches bring me peace, but I haven't been able to find a walking-distance Muay Thai place since I moved, and it has been about a year since I was able to practice in an actual school

I have spent a lot of time trying to maintain my training on my own but it isn't the same as a real legitimate school with a grizzled old fighter who tells you his punch secrets only after you have proved you are ready

But it's just such a good way to clear my mind and shoot me full of adrenaline and geez

I'll be able to fill that gap with ball hockey very soon at least, and I always have a good time with that, especially since I guess I prove the stereotypes to be true and am a whole lot better than most of the defencemen on my American team

But geez do I miss throwing hooks a whole bunch

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    pooka wrote: »
    also, i have been wearing the hell out of my Deus Ex leggings.

but i usually wore loose cotton drawstring pants to yoga 'cause i want to look like i am about to do tai chi at any moment, i guess
    ...i need to start doing yoga again -- i do love it.

but i have found it difficult to find a studio near me that's not full-on yogi, i am now your spiritual guide, listen to my mixtape or the other extreme of gym-rat look at my ass pragmatism. and for now, i need the motivation of a class to get me to practice. i'll get there.

I am like...the opposite of this but I get the feeling

Punches bring me peace, but I haven't been able to find a walking-distance Muay Thai place since I moved, and it has been about a year since I was able to practice in an actual school

I have spent a lot of time trying to maintain my training on my own but it isn't the same as a real legitimate school with a grizzled old fighter who tells you his punch secrets only after you have proved you are ready

But it's just such a good way to clear my mind and shoot me full of adrenaline and geez

I'll be able to fill that gap with ball hockey very soon at least, and I always have a good time with that, especially since I guess I prove the stereotypes to be true and am a whole lot better than most of the defencemen on my American team

But geez do I miss throwing hooks a whole bunch

If you just need to be shot full of adrenaline, I know a guy...

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    please explain like I'm dumb

C++ is a very, very common programming language, and SE is pronounced like C.

oh
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    social entropy++ broke my ability to write and type like a normal relateable human bean

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    have we determined that it's actually even a pun though

I feel like this whole thread is a lie

this whole family is a lie

• Options
    it isn't a pun

nothing is, puns aren't real

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    crwth is known for his absolute truthfulness

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    strong disagree

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    when I was a kid I made up a superhero alter ego for myself called "Cracko"

his whole thing was basically being incredibly fast, which I assumed would take an immense amount of strength, and allow you to do really weird things to the atmosphere by moving through it quickly

I imagined him squaring off against a storm and just punching it so fast that it disrupted the weather system

hence the tagline I came up with for my Heroic Dr. Jekyll:

"Cracko is so strong he can break wind"

I was twenty four when I figured out what was so funny

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    no

cmon

uh uh

dude

brah

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Xehalus wrote: »
    does anyone even still use c++

I do.
    I am also young and cool not old and crusty like you might expect given my answer.

Hey now, C++ ain't that old. If you said you spent all day elbow-deep in FORTRAN I might suspect you were a greybeard, but that's so rare these days...

I'm not a 'hip new editions of C++' guy.
    Template meta programming? Fucking banned.

Jokes aside, C++ isn't really taught that much anymore in Australia. It is difficult to find good C++ developers.
    People should just learn on the job though, a language is a language is language and shouldn't matter that much if you have to spend some time picking it up that's fine.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    When I was growing up, the TV channel we got all our news and weather from was KVII Channel 7 out of Amarillo. Last summer, I looked up their website to see if my parents had gotten any hail from a band of storms.

And that's the first time I spotted the glaring Roman numeral pun in the call sign.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    that se++ was a pun? because i think i figured it out about three or four years ago and i've been on here since 2003 or so

right from the off moterfuck :cool:

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I still don't get it

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    that se++ was a pun? because i think i figured it out about three or four years ago and i've been on here since 2003 or so

right from the off moterfuck :cool:

i absolutely don't believe you

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

'sarcasm is the weapon of the weak' was a saying of my great grandmother's

and my mom always told me she thought her grandma meant 'the weapon of the week' and it never had any impact on her

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

'sarcasm is the weapon of the weak' was a saying of my great grandmother's

and my mom always told me she thought her grandma meant 'the weapon of the week' and it never had any impact on her

I would like to know more about your great grandma if she was the kind of lady who could imply she needed a new weapon every week and your mom would just think "Yeah, that makes sense."

GDdCWMm.jpg