As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Carrie Fisher has become one with The Force

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    One of my favorite things about Fisher's appearances for the past few years was that she always had her dog with her, its tongue perpetually lolling like six feet out of its head

It was clearly her animal familiar in which she had invested much power, and it was the best animal familiar in history

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

I felt Carrie was always fighting for something better for everyone.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    See, I don't think I knew how much I loved Leia when I watched them as a kid

It wasn't until The Force Awakens, when she showed up, that I realized how much I'd missed her

And now I miss her again and it sucks

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Are there any astronauts or physicists who might be able to shed some light on whether this is bullshit or not? Because it sounds like bullshit but honestly my meter has been off for lately.
    @Javen Well, there are ways that the human lymphatic system changes during extended exposure to zero-gravity (astronauts have a tendency to get blocked noses/sinus congestion), but I'm fairly certain it's nothing to the level that would excuse Lucas's bull-plop.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

i can't bring myself to awesome this, but it is awesome in every emotional sense

2016 has taken too many good people we need and planted too many assholes we don't

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

i can't bring myself to awesome this, but it is awesome in every emotional sense

2016 has taken too many good people we need and planted too many assholes we don't

Maybe 2016 is Empire Strikes Back, the dark middle part, and 2017 will be Return of the Jedi, where the assholes get it.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Star Wars hasn't really ever featured zero gravity

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Star Wars hasn't really ever featured zero gravity

Ok but what about that part where star war got blown up and went flying off into space forever?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One of my favorite things about Fisher's appearances for the past few years was that she always had her dog with her, its tongue perpetually lolling like six feet out of its head

It was clearly her animal familiar in which she had invested much power, and it was the best animal familiar in history

Carrie Fisher's dog, Gary Fisher?

Because yeah he's a good dog.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Great image...but with 4 days left in the year, let's not tempt fate too much.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    princess leia didn't mean that much to me when I was a kid

I figured she was fine, and I never really developed a fetish for her the way a lot of Xers did

but thinking back, considering how much I loved Star Wars and how often I watched it, it is pretty likely that she was one of the main reasons I've thought oldschool misogynist sexism is fucking laughable for as long as I've been able to think about it

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fuck this entire fucking fuck of a fucking year fuck

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    2016 has become an actual malevolent entity bent on causing chaos and anguish and uprooting all that is good and green.

Fuck.

May the Force be with you, General.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I saw Carrie Fisher live once and she was hilarious

Also she said the reason her and Harrison Ford seem so happy in the scene in Empire Strikes Back where they meet Lando for the first time is that they had been partying all night with the Rolling Stones at Eric Idle's house and were still drunk

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Carrie Fisher also did a Christmas episode of Qi two years ago and I highly recommend it. She was priceless throughout, and she and Stephen Fry struck up a friendship after it. I believe he ended up being taken by her to the Force Awakens premier in London.

I didn't know that. I did see this tweet earlier today and thought it was adorable:

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think they actually met and became friends a few years earlier than that when Fry made a documentary on depression (Which he also suffers from) which she featured in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry:_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Manic_Depressive

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh man

Those gifts are, like, at the perfect intersection of bizarre and shit that Stephen Fry would find hilarious.

IKknkhU.gif
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I just put in a hold for all her books at the library. Carrie, I will read everything you wrote, I promise.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Carrie Fisher also did a Christmas episode of Qi two years ago and I highly recommend it. She was priceless throughout, and she and Stephen Fry struck up a friendship after it. I believe he ended up being taken by her to the Force Awakens premier in London.

I didn't know that. I did see this tweet earlier today and thought it was adorable:

I LOVE that sticker

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I LOVE that sticker

Haha I know I want one too

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWp5N35g8CU

The Mary Sue talks about her career as a script doctor.

(Supposedly, she was called in to salvage the prequels, but alas, she was a script doctor, not a script miracle worker.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »

Carrie Fisher's dog, Gary Fisher?

Because yeah he's a good dog.

god damnit

I never got the dog name joke until just now

fuck she was the best

Ceno on
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

Just yesterday I was catching up on the Star Wars thread and reading people's reactions to her heart attack. It brought me to tears in a way that the news itself didn't. Beyond the concern and despair, it had an unmistakable element of hope - the image of her strangling Jabba in particular comes to mind. And the hope had, for me, a weight that went beyond just her medical condition. It was a hope that someone could fight back against an unknowable and unstoppable force. When I heard that she succumbed today at work, I had to leave my coworkers to not embarrass myself. My brain had made the connection between her struggle and my own (2016 has been a pretty shit year for me outside of celebrities and fascism). In that moment, I had lost hope in perseverance and in struggle.

But only for a moment. Her inspiration outlives her.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »

Just yesterday I was catching up on the Star Wars thread and reading people's reactions to her heart attack. It brought me to tears in a way that the news itself didn't. Beyond the concern and despair, it had an unmistakable element of hope - the image of her strangling Jabba in particular comes to mind. And the hope had, for me, a weight that went beyond just her medical condition. It was a hope that someone could fight back against an unknowable and unstoppable force. When I heard that she succumbed today at work, I had to leave my coworkers to not embarrass myself. My brain had made the connection between her struggle and my own (2016 has been a pretty shit year for me outside of celebrities and fascism). In that moment, I had lost hope in perseverance and in struggle.

Another comment I saw said that her last word spoken on screen at this point is "hope." IDK if true but it feels nice if it is.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    She is one with the Force and the Force is with her.

God damn, I was hoping she was going to be ok. Everything sounds like it was going well yesterday (at least from what little I could find about it)...

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yoda wrote:
    Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Richard Adams just died too

There arent enough four letter words for this year

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Another comment I saw said that her last word spoken on screen at this point is "hope." IDK if true but it feels nice if it is.

It is.

Take heart.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

That sucks but he was 96. He got 36 more years than Carrie Fisher. I've not even been alive for 36 years

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

It is.

Take heart.

Did she actually say that line? I didn't see if she got credit for it or not.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

It is.

Take heart.

Did she actually say that line? I didn't see if she got credit for it or not.

I'm pretty sure it was someone else

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Welp, fuck everything.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Her last role on screen will probably be Episode VIII, it filmed this summer but won't be out til next Xmas.

Oh brilliant
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher in the same year.

Seriously.

Just.