As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel 1602?

ButterBeanButterBean Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Graphic Violence
I just finished reading Marvel 1602 and I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoy characters placed into different universes and settings, like in a lot of Gaiman's other work (Books of Magic, Sandman). Can any of you recommend similar graphic novels or comic collections that take popular characters and put them in different contexts? I'm not really well read as far as graphic novels are concerned, so fire away with suggestions that might seem obvious, as well, if you would.

ButterBean on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There are a couple other 1602 books beyond the original series, but they aren't near as good as the original.

You absolutely must go read New Frontier like right now, however. It is DC in the 50s. It is fantastic.

Superman Red Son is also really good. It is an elseworlds story where Superman landed in communist Russia rather than in Smallville.

Kingdom Come may also qualify. If you haven't read that, you should in any case.

deadonthestreet on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    gaslight-760549.jpg

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    ButterBean wrote: »
    I just finished reading Marvel 1602 and I thought it was fantastic. I really enjoy characters placed into different universes and settings, like in a lot of Gaiman's other work (Books of Magic, Sandman). Can any of you recommend similar graphic novels or comic collections that take popular characters and put them in different contexts? I'm not really well read as far as graphic novels are concerned, so fire away with suggestions that might seem obvious, as well, if you would.

what you're referring to is known as Elseworlds (from DC) and What If? (from Marvel). there's a whole bunch of 'em, many of them astoundingly terrible, some very good.

one of my own personal favorites is The Liberty Files, which casts various dc superheroes as secret agents during world war II (and just after world war II in the second half).

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Maybe the MAX Supreme Power series? You probably wouldn't be familiar with the characters (and no need to be) but it's basically Marvel doing an extremely thinly veiled story about DC characters, where Superman (Hyperion) is raised by the US Government rather than the Kents. It's almost like Marvel's Ultimization of some classic DC characters Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman.

The two hardcovers that are out pretty much stand alone, but it then went on into an ongoing series which as far as I know is currently on hiatus.

Edit: Linkies

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    ButterBean wrote: »

what you're referring to is known as Elseworlds (from DC) and What If? (from Marvel). there's a whole bunch of 'em, many of them astoundingly terrible, some very good.

one of my own personal favorites is The Liberty Files, which casts various dc superheroes as secret agents during world war II (and just after world war II in the second half).

Liberty Files is sooo good.

DouglasDanger on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Doom that Came to Gotham is better than Gotham by Gaslight.

It is however three prestige issues you have to buy separately.

august on
  • silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Liberty files is really good. I really wished Gaiman would have made 1604 like he said he was going to with the actual hulk, the giant sized x-men, spider-man with powers. Instead they have had horrible spin-offs that i keep getting but always hate.

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2007
    the 1602 Fantastick Four spin-off was pretty great, I thought

DJ Eebs on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »

Yes!

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Yes!

I love Mignola's Batman dialouge.
    "Well. Don't do it. And let me go right now."

"Step on up."

august on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Earth X would fit into this category and I loved it. Absolute must read if you are a Marvel fan.

Accualt on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My biggest complaint about Marvel 1602 is that it didn't include the complete "Ballad of the Fantastik". And let's face it, that's a pretty minor complaint.

The Doom that Came to Gotham is definitely fantastic, if difficult to get a hold of. Not a fan of Liberty Files, but Superman: Red Son is good.

I'm also going to suggest Justice Riders, wherein Sheriff Diana Prince leads a posse of Old West heroes. It's pretty much fantastic.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only criticism I've ever heard of The Liberty Files is that the character reimaginings struck some people as arbitrary and bizarre in some cases, like Green Lantern and Scarecrow's.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    well, maybe, but if i wanted to just read about the regular green lantern or the scarecrow where he isn't a blood-crazed revenant bent on the destruction of allied spies, well there's plenty of those stories already.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My sentiments exactly.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg