As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Holy crap that's so cool.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Indeed. I think the Masterball in particular is rather fitting considering what they're traditionally used on.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    A lot of people have expressed an interest in a Pokemon MMO, but honestly I would be more interested in a regular RPG (or MMO, or other genre) that explores Pokemon history. Not the weird stuff a out various Pokemon being gods, but instead what life was like before pokeballs were invented. Or more everyday life things with Pokemon (historical or modern). Such as: did people just punch/wrestle a pokemon to get it to partner up? Those shorts where Machamp was part of the police force or voltorbs helped power plants was interesting to me.

Sort of related, I recall vaguely one of the games had a "normal" animal like a regular dog, but I can't recall what one. I'm curious what role regular animals play vs. Pokemon. I mean given how Pokemon are arbitrarily powerful, I'd be surprised if any regular animals are left.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Pokemon: A Telltale Story set in the Roaring Twenties where you play a rookie cop paired up with a grizzled Machamp who's partner has gone missing investigate the sudden crime spree of the newly formed Team Rocket, but are they the true villains behind officer Jenny's disappearance?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Pokemon: A Telltale Story set in the Roaring Twenties where you play a rookie cop paired up with a grizzled Machamp who's partner has gone missing investigate the sudden crime spree of the newly formed Team Rocket, but are they the true villains behind officer Jenny's disappearance?

Does Alakasam the Alakazam look into Giovanni's books so we can bring him in on tax evasion? Or do we just storm one of his Rare Candy speakeasies with three Tommy guns and mow down all the scumbags while shouting "It's time to take out the Trubbish!"

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You haven't got the pokeballs to stop the Rockets, copper.

Does Alakasam the Alakazam look into Giovanni's books so we can bring him in on tax evasion? Or do we just storm one of his Rare Candy speakeasies with three Tommy guns and mow down all the scumbags while shouting "It's time to take out the Trubbish!"

Take your pick, but keep in mind...

*Machamp will remember that.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    So, I don't understand something about Poke Pelago. I left some guys to EV train, set for the maximum amount of time (and beans), and when they were "done," the relevant stat hadn't gone up at all, or at least by a noticeable amount. What'd I do wrong?

what level is that particular island? level 1 i think gives 1 EV per hour or whatever time frame it is. level 2 or 2 and level 3 is 4

It's maxed out. I'll feed a rare candy to one of them and see what happens.

Edit: Nope. Still just its base stat.

i've ev trained lots of level 1 pokemon and it shows as maxed. silly question, but did you press Y on the summary page?

No. No I did not. How in the world would I have known to do that?! Grr. I was used to the Super Training screen, which the new stat chart looks JUST LIKE.

Anyway. Gah. All is well.

Don't feel bad about it. I only knew because someone mentioned it as I was researching stuff for other breeding projects. I don't think anyone I've talked to in game mentioned it, but who knows.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    A lot of people have expressed an interest in a Pokemon MMO, but honestly I would be more interested in a regular RPG (or MMO, or other genre) that explores Pokemon history. Not the weird stuff a out various Pokemon being gods, but instead what life was like before pokeballs were invented. Or more everyday life things with Pokemon (historical or modern). Such as: did people just punch/wrestle a pokemon to get it to partner up? Those shorts where Machamp was part of the police force or voltorbs helped power plants was interesting to me.

Sort of related, I recall vaguely one of the games had a "normal" animal like a regular dog, but I can't recall what one. I'm curious what role regular animals play vs. Pokemon. I mean given how Pokemon are arbitrarily powerful, I'd be surprised if any regular animals are left.

The original G/S explained that before technological pokeballs were invented people would use certain nuts to make a pokeball. As for capturing without your own poke, remember the Safari Zone lets you catch pokes with just balls, rocks and treats. Come to think of it, that contradicts what Oak says at the start. He's worried about a kid wandering around Pidgeys and Rattatas alone, but Safari Zone takes your pokemon and sends you out unprotected to confront Scythers and Ryhorns.

• Options
    @Endless_Serpents This may presumptuous, but I can't help coming up with some ideas of my own.

Building the Transcontinental Railroad would be a good opportunity for some pokemon to help. Gurdur to lay track. Onix to bore through mountains.

Grimer being actually good for water systems as opposed to their reputation as polluters. Why? because Grimer are filter feeders who filter out organic matter and particulate from water, leaving it purified!

Wingull being good luck when seen flying around ships.

Tangela/Tangrowth being essential for the days of large sailing ships cue to thier vines being water resistant and durable.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »

The original G/S explained that before technological pokeballs were invented people would use certain nuts to make a pokeball. As for capturing without your own poke, remember the Safari Zone lets you catch pokes with just balls, rocks and treats. Come to think of it, that contradicts what Oak says at the start. He's worried about a kid wandering around Pidgeys and Rattatas alone, but Safari Zone takes your pokemon and sends you out unprotected to confront Scythers and Ryhorns.

Interesting, I never played g/s. So we're the Pokemon captured in the "organic pokeballs" or what?

For the Safari zone the Pokemon ended up in a pokeballs though didn't it? It's been a really long time.

I was originally thinking of Pokemon conquest. So it'd be one Pokemon per person because you personally tamed it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Amazing stuff.

No worries, think 'em up all you like!

Right now I'm up to Arcanine on my 'dex!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Interesting, I never played g/s. So we're the Pokemon captured in the "organic pokeballs" or what?

For the Safari zone the Pokemon ended up in a pokeballs though didn't it? It's been a really long time.

I was originally thinking of Pokemon conquest. So it'd be one Pokemon per person because you personally tamed it.

Yeah, these are handcrafted, traditional balls.

pokemon-sun-and-moon-apricorn-poke-balls.jpg

Made of these.

230px-Apricorn.png

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Some reading on this subject.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I don't like the Bubble Beam-animation. It's just bishie Water Gun.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    PLA wrote: »

Yeah, these are handcrafted, traditional balls.

pokemon-sun-and-moon-apricorn-poke-balls.jpg

Made of these.

230px-Apricorn.png

so are those things magic or something?

edit: based on the bulbapedia entry it requires a "special device" to capture pokemon. doesn't quite sound as nice as whatever utopia is created for the pokemon in a modern pokeball. i like what i think pokemon conquest did (can't remember exactly) but basically each person bonded specifically with a single pokemon.

Some reading on this subject.

interesting. it sounds as though they are getting phased out to some extent. which is sort of what i was expecting. i wonder how much of the early game mentions were to help children understand what the pokemon were like. saying X pokemon has a similar function to <other pokemon> wouldn't really mean much, but saying it is like a <real animal> would work. now that the series has expanded so much maybe that isn't as big of a deal. several of the other mentions are "insects" or "fish" so i guess you could say they are potentially pokemon? i dunno.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    They didn't really care, back then. Nobody thought about it until later.

• Options
    @WingedWeasel Organic pokeballs are pretty much magic, yep. At least to us. Pokeballs can be mass produced through technology. That indicates that the matter shrinking portion of pokeballs can be studied, understood, and reproduced. That's not magic, that's science.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Magic is pretty much a given in the pokémon world.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    ok, whomever designed Drampa had Neverending Story on their brain.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I mean, there are literal psychics.

Which... did not show up as a trainer class in SuMo come to think of it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Did a Trade with somebody for a Shiny BR Toxapex person who sent it left poison Z-Crystal on it thought nothing of it.
    Twenty minutes later then message me ranting and raving and calling me names and accusing me of being a thief

Would have gave it back to them had they asked nicely kept it out of spite.

Looking at the Toxapex in my Pc its not even holding the Z-crystal anymore why was he so angry at me?

Zunde on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    If they were the type to blame others for their own mistakes they're also the type not check if the item is still in their inventory.

Though to be honest I didn't notice myself for a good while that once you get a Z-crystal, you essentially have an infinite amount of that crystal, allowing you to give it to as many mons as you want and never losing it.

homogenized on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I mean, there are literal psychics.

Which... did not show up as a trainer class in SuMo come to think of it.

I think fairy weirds me out more. In XY they were portrayed in a creepy way, similar to the "psychic kid" trope, but like what does fairy even mean? Does it have that traditional concept of the faerie realm and they're malevolent tricksters who drag kids off to raise as their own and all that?
    Zunde wrote: »
    Did a Trade with somebody for a Shiny BR Toxapex person who sent it left poison Z-Crystal on it thought nothing of it.
    Twenty minutes later then message me ranting and raving and calling me names and accusing me of being a thief

Would have gave it back to them had they asked nicely kept it out of spite.

Looking at the Toxapex in my Pc its not even holding the Z-crystal anymore why was he so angry at me?

This happened with a friend of mine, we traded and he left a Z-crystal on his pokemon and traded back (it was a Machoke he wanted to evolve), so we thought nothing of it, he got his crystal back...but then he said it wasn't attached anymore. I said I didn't take it, because I didn't, and then he found it in his bag.

Pretty sure the game doesn't let you trade them away. Especially since they're tracked on your save card like badges, it'd be like trading away a badge.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They don't function like normal hold items - I'm given to understand that the "hold item" is separate from the key item, it basically creates instances of the hold item as needed.

In other news - progress on hail team: 3/6 bred (finally got 5 IV sandshrew), Overcoat Hakamo-o captured.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Yeah, you get the Normal Z-Crystal from your trial, and that creates the Normalium Z hold item. The Crystal stays in your bag, and you can't get rid of it. Which is a great idea when you remember how in XY GameFreak thought it would be fun to have version exclusive mega evolutions, and how incredibly stupid that was.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    @WingedWeasel Organic pokeballs are pretty much magic, yep. At least to us. Pokeballs can be mass produced through technology. That indicates that the matter shrinking portion of pokeballs can be studied, understood, and reproduced. That's not magic, that's science.

the tech aspect makes sense, that's why i had assumed pokeballs were only a "recent" invention, but i guess they have been around for some time. as mentioned i had thought that whatever say the stone age for the pokemon world were early humans literally going into the woods, ocean, desert, whatever and punching pokemon.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So, uh, Pokemon Brags. I got to the Big Box Legendary Fight on the 23rd, and spent a day assembling a team to take it on (Synchronizers, Soak, False Swipe, Etc.), and finally got around to soft resetting a few times today. "But Tom, Soft Resetting? When we have Hyper Training?" But I still wanted it to have perfect speed, and decent everything else, just in case. Not perfection, just something decent. But, oh, Arceus was shining on me today. Lo and behold, Lunala!

#792 Lunala [Modest]
    IVs: 30, 31 / 2, 3, 4 / 28, 29 / 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 30, 31
    Stats at Lv.55: 232 / 117 / 118 / 189 / 139 / 128

:D

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Farming the Elite 4 for Chedder to buy more expensive clothes.

Why does so many E4 Pokemon have freaking sturdy.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Sounds like you need sneaky pebbles.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Use your box legendary, they each get a move that ignores abilities and thus go right through sturdy. My E4 crushing team is the promo Snorlax holding an amulet coin + Lunala. Easy levels/money.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So the only non-story Shiny I've ever found/caught was an Aipom back in Emerald I think

And now finally playing Sun, Shiny #2, a Sandile with the worst stats and Nature(-Speed +SpA), and Moxie

Thanks?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    That's funny, I just found a shiny Sandile myself last night when I was soft resetting for a Trapinch. It's sort of like, thanks, I guess? I will never use this shiny :P

That said, I've gotten a few shinies this gen thanks to SOS chaining being a good way to get them, so I'm not complaining. But that was the first that wasn't part of a chain.

A similar thing happened in Y when I got a shiny Goomy in the wild, before I realized Goomy was kind of cool. He looked super dumb so I was a little bummed (this weird blob thing that doesn't really look like anything). Probably should have looked up his evolutions :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    If anyone is still in the giving spirit, any decent Gibles floating around? A breedject or something? Is Rough Skin possible yet?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    So first try, I think I may have found my Lunala -

30-31/9-10/31/31/28-29/28-29 Modest nature.

I think I'm going to keep this one. :)

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Is Iron Head worth getting on Garchomp?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    x1dob3greeyd.jpg

100% yay! Also Sableye the kitty in the background being a loaf.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Getting a New 3ds soon and a Physical copy of the game since my copy is Digital and my 3ds can barely handle the data requirement for it.

I am going to slowly hand trade all my items to my new file >_O

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If anyone is still in the giving spirit, any decent Gibles floating around? A breedject or something? Is Rough Skin possible yet?

I picked up a Rough Skin Gible from someone here but I haven't gotten around to breeding it or anything yet. I can probably breed you a HA Jolly (but otherwise thoroughly ordinary) Gible if you want.

• Options
    That would be rad. I could get you a nothing special HA Vulpix, that's about the most interesting thing I have

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Getting a New 3ds soon and a Physical copy of the game since my copy is Digital and my 3ds can barely handle the data requirement for it.

I am going to slowly hand trade all my items to my new file >_O

FWIW, upgrading to a larger SD card is not complicated, if you have an SD card reader on your computer.