As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carrie Fisher has become one with The Force

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Is it possible for the Death Star to just obliterate 2016 instead of Alderaan?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Is it possible for the Death Star to just obliterate 2016 instead of Alderaan?

Oh fuck that.

I will finish out this year

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    On the whole, I think I will be happier if I don't read any news for the next few days.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    2016 is gonna be one of those years I tell my grand nephews and nieces about (cuz passing on my shitty genes and mental disorders to an innocent child would be cruel as shit so I'm gonna settle on being the wacky gay uncle)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Her last role on screen will probably be Episode VIII, it filmed this summer but won't be out til next Xmas.

I hope we get at least as much of her in Episode VIII. She absolutely nailed it in TFA.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Her last role on screen will probably be Episode VIII, it filmed this summer but won't be out til next Xmas.

I hope we get at least as much of her in Episode VIII. She absolutely nailed it in TFA.

Good quote I saw elsewhere:
    She taught countless little girls that being a princess isn't the goal, it's the starting point. Becoming a General and commanding an army is the goal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

This is the first good laugh I've had since hearing about this

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I would have told so many people I fucked Han Solo for real

I dunno how she kept that secret

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I thought that was public knowledge? She wasn't shy about it when I saw her back in 2013(or was it 2014?) at the Calgary expo, anyway.

But I guess it wasn't!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    4VHfsVEl.jpg

*sigh*

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I think they actually met and became friends a few years earlier than that when Fry made a documentary on depression (Which he also suffers from) which she featured in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry:_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Manic_Depressive

Just as a side note, this is an exceptional documentary and everybody should give it a watch.

It certainly helped me work through some issues.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I don't know about all of you. But I'm anxiously ready for a point where profound sadness doesn't seem like the default state.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I think they actually met and became friends a few years earlier than that when Fry made a documentary on depression (Which he also suffers from) which she featured in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry:_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Manic_Depressive

Just as a side note, this is an exceptional documentary and everybody should give it a watch.

It was really brilliant. Here it is on YouTube

https://youtu.be/_yT_F0dMZRU

https://youtu.be/p7tLn57pf-8

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I never really understood people crying over celebrity deaths until today

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    How the hell did I miss that documentary? Thank you so much for posting.

Fuck me I'm such a mess right now.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    rest in peace, Ms. Fisher

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    *profuse loud angry swearing*

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sheri wrote: »
    I never really understood people crying over celebrity deaths until today

Heh, I got it back when Terry Pratchett announced he had Alzeimers's disease. In a weird way that hit me even harder than his death. It was the first time that something happening to a celebrity felt like it had happened to a family member.

David Bowie's death hit me a hell of a lot harder than I expected. I never thought of myself as a David Bowie fan. Maybe because I first knew him as The Goblin King in Labyrinth, which made me think I wasn't a fan of the "real" Bowie. It wasn't until the news broke of his death that I felt an emotional gut punch and realised not just how many of his albums I had and listened to regularly, and how much his music had been a feature of my life, but how David Bowie being weird and cerebral and experimental and a bit Queer had seeped into my veins and made me realise slowly but surely as I took my adult shape that I was okay being me.

Don't even get me started on the influence the princess gun toting rebel rescuer of male damsels in distress turned badass elderly general has done to my psyche over the decades.

Fuck this year. But not you, Death. Never you. Let's go have a curry and stroke a few kittens. It'll cheer us up.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    2016 I AM READY TO ASCEND TAKE ME UP INTO YOUR KINGDOM OF TORTURRRRRRE

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm, uh

I'm pretty broken up about this, guys

I mostly just remember when Grade School Cello had to write a report on a woman who inspired her, and she wrote about Leia

There wasn't any other woman I knew of, fictional or real, that made me think I could be that strong or that brave; later I'd find Ellen Ripley or Leslie Knope or a fair few other role models, but she was the genesis of feeling like I could be whoever I wanted so long as I was smart and stubborn and believed in myself enough to let it carry me through the hard times

I'd go back to those movies as I got older and times got tougher and found more to relate to and they honestly just... they mean a lot to me

All I can do is hope her example, on-screen and off, shows another generation of young girls that they can be just as brave and strong as she was

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Honestly the only thin, slight glimmer of hope that I have is between this, Jo Cox's murder and Clinton's defeat there's a generation of furious little girls grinding their teeth and whispering "Fuck the Patriarchy!" to themselves every night.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    :(

We must protect Betty White at all costs.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    2016 is gonna be one of those years I tell my grand nephews and nieces about (cuz passing on my shitty genes and mental disorders to an innocent child would be cruel as shit so I'm gonna settle on being the wacky gay uncle)

You should consider fostering some people, pass on the memes.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    2016 I AM READY TO ASCEND TAKE ME UP INTO YOUR KINGDOM OF TORTURRRRRRE

I used to have a pickle blog called Brine Blessed

Nobody understood why I had the hawk guy from flash gordon as the avatar picture.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Fuck that! Betty White needs to protect us.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Sadly it does not appear to be something one can watch outside of the UK (legally, anyway)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Betty White is going to outlive the sun and charmingly curse her way through the black, lightless void of eternity

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Richard Adams, of Watership Down, also passed away. He made it to 96 though and thats really damn respectable.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Betty White is going to outlive the sun and charmingly curse her way through the black, lightless void of eternity

God damnit you fucks. What have we just learned about tempting fate?

see317 on
  • Options
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Richard Adams, of Watership Down, also passed away. He made it to 96 though and thats really damn respectable.

I've never actually read the book. I should probably rectify that.

I love the movie, though.
    And it's more or less guaranteed to bring me to tears every single time.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Can I like, just challenge 2016 to a duel or something like that? Anything that lets me end it's reign of terror.

I am deeply saddened, because Ms. Fisher and her performance as Princess Leia was absolutely a part of my formative years, and definitely showed me that girls were definitely on equal footing with guys, and even cooler in some cases. And now I'll never get to thank her for that.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was scarred for life by Watership Down, not really it's fault tho, more the era thinking everything animated was 100% for kids back then when I was plopped in front of the TV at age 7 or 8 to watch the animated bunny movie on TV while the adults did adulting.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    uy3aX24.jpg

Star Wars the Old Republic players outside House Organa on Alderaan right now

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I normally stay as far away from MMO randos as I can

But sometimes they're pretty okay

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I have a good friend (formerly a colleague for several years) who met Carrie recently-ish at a con, and put the picture up on Facebook. Of course she has nothing but great things to say about her. It is weirdly bringing me some slight - very slight, but still non-zero - measure of comfort to know that the degrees of separation are thus reduced so much.

Strange the way these things can affect, isn't it.

Like, I've personally been fortunate enough to meet several celebrities in my time in various circumstances. Some are, as is the way of these things, genuinely very important to me in some way. All have, rather wonderfully, been awesome to meet (so far). But right now it's kind of like I know someone who, however briefly, met Carrie Fisher.

And of course she was amazing, because of course she was.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

The final battle will be between Betty White and Keith Richards

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

It isn't much of a secret they had a kid together:

VYUD5Nv.jpg

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    princess leia didn't mean that much to me when I was a kid

I figured she was fine, and I never really developed a fetish for her the way a lot of Xers did

but thinking back, considering how much I loved Star Wars and how often I watched it, it is pretty likely that she was one of the main reasons I've thought oldschool misogynist sexism is fucking laughable for as long as I've been able to think about it

Yeah, Princess Leia was always more of a sisterly figure to me. I watched a lot of Star Wars as a kid (so much that no one would watch it with me because I would say all the lines before the characters could) and most of that was before being at all interested in girls. I also had an older sister, and of course identified with Luke (It was only as an adult, hearing people complain about Luke being whiny, that it occurred to me not everyone liked him. I mean, he's the main character! C'mon!). Leia was naturally mapped to the sister position.

Thanks, perhaps, to such influences, I grew up considering women with a basic, default respect (and indeed fear - my sister and I had some real fights) as just another type of people, with their own strengths and goals. The idea that not everyone behaved the same way would initially seem strange, later.

sig.png