As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carrie Fisher has become one with The Force

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I was scarred for life by Watership Down, not really it's fault tho, more the era thinking everything animated was 100% for kids back then when I was plopped in front of the TV at age 7 or 8 to watch the animated bunny movie on TV while the adults did adulting.

I was too. I think a lot of kids were.

Revisiting the movie as an adult is interesting, and healing.
    It is still surprising how violent it can get.

The stylised flashback as the injured Holly recounts what happened to the warren is still nightmare fuel, definitely the most horrifying part for me, but it's easier to come to terms with with the benefit of age, I think.
    And Hazel's death will still choke anyone up.

But the same thing continues to happen. This past Easter Sunday, Channel 5 in the UK put it on in the afternoon. Predictably, there were multiple complaints - apparently parents STILL don't know this (in)famous, nearly 40-year-old movie, is not just a story about cute bunnies you can plop the kids in front of. The BBFC still to date gets at least one or two complaints a year about the movie's kid-friendly rating, and they even admit it would get a PG now, but unless it gets released in a different cut apparently they can't re-rate it.

I was just thinking, as well, how I never saw the TV series that was made a few years back; and now I discover there's going to be another one (more of a miniseries, really) next year!

• Options

The pedant in me wants to point out that Lemmy was actually in 2015. Just.

But frankly, his passing was the portent of things to come. If he, of all people, could die... all bets were off.

And so it has been. :cry:

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    goddamn 2016. :I

wonder what they're gonna do for Episode IX. Kinda hope they don't wheel out a cartoon Carrie for her reunion with Luke.

No, you don't do something like that for a passing that recent.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah there is a 0% chance they use a CGI Carrie Fisher that would be insanely ghoulish

Chances are General Organa died valiantly defending innocent folks from the First Order

They CGI'd Paul Walker to finish Fast 7 and most people seemed pretty okay with that.

sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Looking at that picture above, I was all "What? Paul Daniels, Terry Wogan and Manuel from Fawlty Towers too?" :eek:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    :(

We must protect Betty White at all costs.

Fuck that! Betty White needs to protect us.

The final battle will be between Betty White and Keith Richards

There can be only one.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular

GODDAMNIT this just reminds me that Anton Yelchin also died this year NOW IM EVEN SADDER

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Looking at that picture above, I was all "What? Paul Daniels, Terry Wogan and Manuel from Fawlty Towers too?" :eek:

Paul Daniels was actually the first celeb I ever met, totally by accident too, on holiday in Yorkshire when I was but a young lad. He was awesome, a really lovely guy who was happy to spare us a couple of minutes even though, as I recall, he was actually in a hurry to get somewhere. A couple of years ago I took my mum to see him on tour for her birthday, and he was still awesome. Glad we got to see him.

And Terry Wogan was a huge loss for my mum. She was inconsolable; she'd listened to him on the radio for decades, we watched more or less anything he did on TV, and so on. She said his death hit her harder than any celebrity passing since Elvis. Even for me, it was fundamentally weird trying to come to terms with a world that didn't have Terry in it. He was sort of part of the furniture, in the best possible way. His presence was a fundamental part of British broadcasting.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Episode IX is Mark Hamil alone with an all-CG cast in a flashback. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm not seeing Ron Glass in that collage. Can someone point him out.

• Options
    I'm not seeing Ron Glass in that collage. Can someone point him out.

Top row on the right, fifth one in.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't get me wrong, I'll be sad when Betty White dies but she's older and it's going to happen.

We've just had a lot of celebrities die way too fucking young this year. That's a lot harder to me.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I'll be sad when Betty White dies but she's older and it's going to happen.

We've just had a lot of celebrities die way too fucking young this year. That's a lot harder to me.

i said to a friend today... I realize i am getting to an age where touchstones of my childhood are going to start to pass, i am just not prepared for them all to go at once like this,

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Saw Rogue One tonight, for the second time. There were audible gasps in the theater at the last line.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

For me its like...Betty White and Stan Lee. Can we get them in protective custody to at least the new year. 2016 has just been a merciless bitch with the Reapening.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Saw Rogue One tonight, for the second time. There were audible gasps in the theater at the last line.
    I'll bet.

I kind of want her to get the last line in VIII, and for it to be staggeringly awesome.

But that Rogue One last line is going to be tough to beat.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because the characters he's created have taken on lives of their own under other creators, or maybe it's the facts about how he was shitty to artists and took a lot of credit for ideas from them, but I think I'll be fine when I hear that Stan Lee dies. Not saying I hope he dies any time soon, but I think I'm going to be fine, emotionally speaking, when I hear.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was just looking and I completely forgot Gary Shandling died this year too.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Episode IX is Mark Hamil alone with an all-CG cast in a flashback. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

as though Hamill will be the sole surviving original cast member

it's definitely gonna be Anthony daniels, god save us all

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I just realized
    I have no idea how Patton Oswald is coping with this year.

• Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    Star Wars was the first movie my parents ever took me to see in theaters. I was three years old and had to stand in the seat to see. I was probably too young to really follow the story, but my mother says, from the opening scene, I watched with rapt attention.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Y'know, when I made the comment about there still being a week left in the year, I wasn't trying to taunt you 2016, calm the fuck down.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I just realized

His daughter is probably his anchor at this point.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    goddamn 2016. :I

wonder what they're gonna do for Episode IX. Kinda hope they don't wheel out a cartoon Carrie for her reunion with Luke.

No, you don't do something like that for a passing that recent.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah there is a 0% chance they use a CGI Carrie Fisher that would be insanely ghoulish

Chances are General Organa died valiantly defending innocent folks from the First Order

They CGI'd Paul Walker to finish Fast 7 and most people seemed pretty okay with that.
    They CGI'd him in one scene that was explicitly designed as a tribute to him while using his brother as the actual physical actor in the scene

it was about as respectful of a job as could be done and was not at all comparable to using a CGI Carrie Fisher for Star Wars scenes she hadn't filmed

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I just realized

Based on his Twitter? Badly.

(So say we all.)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Finishing scenes with cgi actors has happened a ton of times and is no big deal

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Finishing scenes with cgi actors has happened a ton of times and is no big deal
    I think it is fine if, like, the family or estate signs off on it like Paul Walker's did

but if people are talking about using CGI Leia in Episode 9 or something they have lost their goddamn minds

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I just realized

Based on his Twitter? Badly.

(So say we all.)

Please tell me you sign all your replies to @bloods end with that

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

That fits with my belief that Ringo will be the last Beatle.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God Damnit, corporations, stay away from Twitter!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    It's that photoshopped or did they hire a food photographer to make that image?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    It's that photoshopped or did they hire a food photographer to make that image?

If I were to hazard a guess, it's likely older and reused. Arbys is doing this whole food / gaming mash-up, so it makes sense other companies would try to get in on pop culture.. and everyone wants Leia's buns.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    That's a decent joke. She'd have liked it.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    this year has been really shitty

• Options

Yep, they deleted it with an apology. Basically no one on the apology thought they actually needed to apologise. They should have just left it. Social media professionals are dumb.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

That fits with my belief that Ringo will be the last Beatle.

how dare you equate Anthony daniels with Ringo

this is easily the most offensive thing I've read in like, a week

I am agape

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Srsly. It was even self deprecating! Her buns are better than theirs!

The internet was a mistake.