As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go Font Yourself

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited December 2016 in Social Entropy++
After a bot reposted a photo of my printing on Reddit which led to a fairly lengthy discussion about whether or not I'm a robot, I wound up making a post myself which hit the front page.

e8ow2bcp537i.jpg

And the discussion on that post led to my second post.

zgyu5f197lcx.jpg

One of the things I got asked for several dozen times was a font based on my handwriting so today I used an online generator to make one:

fx1t416z9fh6.jpg

Here's a link: www.darrencalvert.com/DMACFont.ttf

You can download a template at myscriptfont.com, fill it out, and make your own.

Do you print neatly, scrawl like a crazy person, somewhere in between?

DMAC on

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I used to have pretty neat handwriting, I did allcaps for a while. Got into the habit when I thought I might become an engineer and was doing a lot of drafting. Never as nice as yours though and now I do mostly chickenscratch.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Awesome!! Since you ask..

I was writing in my journal today (poorly, it balanced on one knee while I reclined, a fact I knew future generations would puzzle over) when I considered how my signature had boiled down to a very quick but precise shape. I'm fairly confident no amateur could make this but it was not at all my name.

How'd I slowly evolve this beautiful hieroglyph, I wondered.

So I signed it three times at the end of the journal entry with a smug face.

Your handwriting is gorgeous of course.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    knitdan wrote: »
    I used to have pretty neat handwriting, I did allcaps for a while. Got into the habit when I thought I might become an engineer and was doing a lot of drafting. Never as nice as yours though and now I do mostly chickenscratch.

My printing basically came from being bored in class + drafting + comic books. I would occasionally change "fonts" while taking notes just to keep myself entertained.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i do not have the hubris to t h i n k that i have the intelligence to make something as nuanced as a font.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Oh hey that's how I made my fonts for my comic.

so thats what fontscript looks like with decent handwriting

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    SLS_BauhausMuseumWeimar_7-800x293.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I've never adopted how to hold a pencil correctly. I know how to do it, but it's the worst? (those pencil gripper things were bad growing up)
    It's all printing with a claw as an adult. Always have hands covered in Ink/Graphite, and smudges on my work.
    (Painting and drawing with a claw about the same)

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I was taught how to write by someone extremely incompetent and have never recovered. I did get a handwriting book a couple of years ago with the intention of sorting it out but.... playing guitar or drums is more fun.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I like the lower case lettering the best in DMACFont.ttf
    Thank you for sharing it!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I hold my writing/drawing utensils right down at the end too which can cause problems. I usually put a second piece of paper under my hand when drawing to avoid it turning into one giant smudge.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    My handwriting stopped developing somewhere around the fourth grade

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I frequently can't read my own handwriting.

It's a problem.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I frequently can't read my own handwriting.

It's a problem.

I had a university teacher who handed back our essays with half a page or more of feedback on each one and nobody could make out more than a few words. When we finally gave up and brought them to him to interpret, he couldn't read them either.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I feel I'm lazy about how I write. Looking at the letters my hand makes the general gestures as in cursive, but other letters will morph how much my hand will bother depending on where the pencil needs to move next. And I don't keep my hand directly over the letters being written, I tend to park it in a place, write until I can't stretch the pencil head all the way to the right anymore, and then move my hand over a few inches.

Attempts at fixing this while bored in college led to immense frustration and the idea that I'm just wired to be shitty at art. No point in practice my brain and hands just ain't gonna improve

Been trying to get into improving this as of late, no real improvement being observed

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My handwriting looks A RIGHT MESS unless I concentrate on legibility.

Needs to be vaguely legible:
    l5XYmydl.jpg

Actual scribble with bonus kitchen stains:
    ZJlAhj7l.jpg

I'm so jealous of DMAC and people like my father, whose handwriting is tidy.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I never learned to write cursive. Everyone in school who told me I would have to lied.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my cursive is great
    my printing sucks balls

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The DMAC will be the next ComicSans.
    Really good for a few things, intended to copy hand lettering, and really overused because it's free.

• Options
    One issue I discovered in college was that I couldn't write fast enough.
    I enjoy taking notes but there is a sense of despair when you go 100% on speed and you still lose ground to the professor.
    Then look back on your notes and find them half illegible, and hope that by trying to write it out, ya at least absorbed some info.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I remember years ago somebody found that font generator and heaps of people took turns making fonts, somebody made a font that was all bones, and I think it was Belruel that made of font composed entirely of cocks?

Good times.

Also, my handwriting is terrible. I have to concentrate for it to be legible for myself on a re-read, if someone else is supposed to read it, writing anything longer than a sentence by hand is slower than just typing it in notepad and printing it out:

Felt tip pen:
    myshittyhandwritingololol.jpg

Ball point pen:
    a2d1b654-da4f-4eeb-8163-56cc797d8839_zpszz7frviz.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

nislet lmornilig

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

Ball point pen:

rusted lemonmelting

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    92uvbtcxdr2m.jpg

edit: With a big fat misspelling in it...

honovere on
  • Options
    eA9pZ6d.jpg

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My husband has described my handwriting as "the marks left when a drunk chicken is chased by a monkey riding a velociraptor." Which I think means my handwriting is bad, but awesome?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I think the best insult-pliment (compli-sult?) I have ever received about my handwriting was, "It looks like a serial killer writing a grocery list for a drunken hobo."

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm assuming that means it's pretty legible, cause I mean, drunken hobos aren't known for their ability to decipher hieroglyphics.

(and serial killers are notorious anal retents).

• Options
    Random trivia: the Swedish idiom for "chicken scratch" is "crow's feet". Also "writing like a crow".

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    My handwriting is shit. Legible, but shit. I prefer all caps when writing by hand.

Cursive can go fuck itself. I remember learning it in school and asking the teacher "why" I must learn a second form of writing.

Her answer was that it's "faster" since your pen leaves the page less often.

To this day that answer sounds like bullshit.

What, did some school board director somewhere think "Our kids can write pretty well but, damnit, they just aren't writing fast enough!"?

RT800 on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm assuming that means it's pretty legible, cause I mean, drunken hobos aren't known for their ability to decipher hieroglyphics.

(and serial killers are notorious anal retents).

Oh. Oh, God no, it's just terrible.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i only write in D'Nealian

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i naturally write in comic sans

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    my handwriting is bad
    also I seem to have no working pens

I don't think those two facts are related, but I'm not sure

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I love writing with a brand new pen. In a brand new notepad.

Oh baby.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am also a graphic designer but I have literally zero illustration skills (thanks, Adobe Creative Suite!) and I've always been super embarrassed of my hand writing.

Here is a photo of the note that went with my Secret Satan gift
    lyty92z6l6m9.jpg

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I can't recall the last time I wrote anything on paper that wasn't a form I was filling out.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I am also a graphic designer but I have literally zero illustration skills (thanks, Adobe Creative Suite!) and I've always been super embarrassed of my hand writing.

Here is a photo of the note that went with my Secret Satan gift
    lyty92z6l6m9.jpg

That actually looks quite a bit like my brother's writing. My dad on the other hand has printing I've always considered neater than mine. I keep meaning to get him to write something for me to post.

Also I like the idea of signing correspondence with "Your Satan,".

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm learning/practicing 18th century penmanship. Including the long 's'.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie