As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go Font Yourself

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    @DMAC

I'm still pretty sure you are a robot. None of the artists I know, including myself have handwriting that immaculate

THIS IS YOU? YES?

ibis-robot-artist-1200x630-c.jpg

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    That robot has a much better grip technique than I do.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i wanna post some handwriting now but i'm in a car, so maybe not the best idea

uc3ufTB.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    My handwriting is a fucking nightmare hellscape of jagged misshapen letters.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    DMAC, I was toying with the idea of making 2017 the year I actually try to get some kind of illustration skill at all. Where should I start? Life drawing?

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The only time I seem to write anything by hand any more is when I'm meticulously drawing maps for tabletop RPGs, or when I'm filling out a shipping label for something I need to mail out from work. Which means the folks at Central Utah Electrical Supplies get a lot of boxes that look like they were labeled by J.R.R. Tolkien pointing out that Here Be Dragons (And Also Defective 12V Power Sources To Be Returned To The Manufacturer).

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I would fucking love to be able to hand render script like this
    5713650284c12407c6567dddf30bf74f.jpg

My favourite artist is a guy from Melbourne called Monaux who does shit like this
    illustration-Karl-Kwasny-20.jpg

5098.jpg

edeseq.jpg?w=545

• MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    I feel like every time I write, I don't put a lot of effort into it so it always looks different. I wondered if I started killing people and involving handwritten notes if some Typographer somewhere would wonder If I was mentally sane and or different people. Probably not. That seems like something I'd eventually would like to work on but drawing is currently my main focus

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I literally can't read my handwriting sometimes

#pipe wrote: »
    DMAC, I was toying with the idea of making 2017 the year I actually try to get some kind of illustration skill at all. Where should I start? Life drawing?

Where are you starting from? Completely blank slate? Some art classes through high school?

Life drawing is a great way to improve but I don't know if I'd make it my first step. It also kind of depends on what sort of illustration you'd like to be able to do. For example if you're trying to get a grasp of basic perspective/technical/concept drawing, I'd start with something like the exercises here: http://drawabox.com/

I made a blog post earlier in the year about improving your basic control over lines which applies as much to penmanship as it does to drawing. The key to any of this stuff isn't just to write/draw a lot, it's to practice with the goal of slowly improving over time. It's not going to happen in a day or a week but if you can improve by even 1% and keep working at it, eventually you'll see results.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Here's a sample

i4bPRup.jpg

• MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    I made a blog post earlier in the year about improving your basic control over lines which applies as much to penmanship as it does to drawing. The key to any of this stuff isn't just to write/draw a lot, it's to practice with the goal of slowly improving over time. It's not going to happen in a day or a week but if you can improve by even 1% and keep working at it, eventually you'll see results.

Thank you! I'm going to practice these. My thing is I suck at control and my drawings reflect that, but those are some good exercises to start.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    At my company, everyone gets handed a notebook when they start as part of their office supplies. I think some people go through one every year or two, I've been here 7 and a half years and I'm on page 50.

I tend to go a long time without writing things on paper. A few sentences in xmas cards was the first time in weeks, probably.

Where are you starting from? Completely blank slate? Some art classes through high school?

Blank as fuck. I had a handful of art classes in high school but basically nothing practical that has stuck in my brain. I draw like a 6 year old.

I'd really like to be able to supplement my design ability with illustration, if I could draw something original and then render it in Illustrator. The thing is I'm super competent in illustrator and can perfectly trace or replicate vector icons and layered illustrations, but I can't translate say from a photograph to a vector because I don't have that illustrative comprehension of how to simplify.

Scooter wrote: »
    At my company, everyone gets handed a notebook when they start as part of their office supplies. I think some people go through one every year or two, I've been here 7 and a half years and I'm on page 50.

I tend to go a long time without writing things on paper. A few sentences in xmas cards was the first time in weeks, probably.

I keep a written To Do list. I find that having to write things down helps them stick in my memory a little more and if I have to move something from the previous list to the new one, I have to write it down AGAIN which reminds me it still needs to be done. I use my phone/digital lists for some things but I still prefer pen and paper a lot of the time.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Once upon a time I wrote like DMAC.

9 years later, the only extensive hand writing I have done since college was taking orders as a server, which is not conducive to proper form or legibility. I'm pretty sure doing that job for a few years actively destroyed my penmanship.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What's the big damn deal about cursive anyway? Why is there such a big push to preserve it in schools?

BLM - ACAB
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    In elementary school I had a really hard time with my hand constantly hurting and cramping up. It was discovered that I was "drawing" my writing instead of just "writing". I'm better now, but if i end up writing anything at length (which happens often as I am overly verbose at times), I have to take a break and remind myself to just write and stop trying to be so damn exact.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    What's the big damn deal about cursive anyway? Why is there such a big push to preserve it in schools?

Tradition for Tradition's Sake.

And the persistent belief among a certain sort of old fashioned person that all of our communications technology is just a fad that will pass any day now. Any day. Just you wait.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've seen people argue "without cursive, how would you sign documents?" or "you won't be able to read the constitution!"

BLM - ACAB
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    You won't understand cursive until you try to write with a good fountain pen

I'm no artist but I've been getting into calligraphy (well, trying to start) and it's pretty therapeutic

I'm currently rocking a F pilot metropolitan with iroshizuku kon-peki, a lilac Lamy Safari modded with a 1.5mm italic Lamy Joy nib with Sailor Jentle Yama-dori, and a noodler Ahab with X-Feather because I was curious how an insane chemist writes. And Tomoe River paper at 25 cents a sheet, though I usually go for HP 32lb laser paper. I'm thinking of actually going full hog with a Nikko b nib and yatsumoto sumi ink.

I actually have very bad handwriting and can't do cursive, but italic nibs make it seem like a good idea

3LoazNJ.jpg

You can kind of see the metallic green chromatography in a certain light but it was kind of disappointing for me.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    my issue with hand writing is my hand cramps up a lot because I apparently have a death grip on my pen

so it starts super neat

and then progresses into basically scribbles

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

And the persistent belief among a certain sort of old fashioned person that all of our communications technology is just a fad that will pass any day now. Any day. Just you wait.

I don't think that's it at all.

First of all it's a very small part of a modern curriculum, and it's taught at an important stage of developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

Second it's amazing to me that it's viewed as a "useless" skill, and then someone like DMAC here with his very neat handwriting is seen as a robot wizard artist.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm assuming that means it's pretty legible, cause I mean, drunken hobos aren't known for their ability to decipher hieroglyphics.

(and serial killers are notorious anal retents).

Funnily enough they actually are in a way!

First of all it's a very small part of a modern curriculum, and it's taught at an important stage of developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

Second it's amazing to me that it's viewed as a "useless" skill, and then someone like DMAC here with his very neat handwriting is seen as a robot wizard artist.

It's a relic of the fountain pen era where you used your arm to write instead of your wrist. You'd have to keep the pen at a constant angle with the paper, and therefore used less energy to write as long as you could with a single stroke. With ballpoint, you have to put pressure to write at all, so it's less tiring to lift off the paper as much as possible.

Don't do cursive with ballpoint.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.

After that post hit the front page of Reddit with 16K upvotes, I had two different Websites contact me asking if I had any videos of myself printing neatly.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm out of the house so I can't provide a sample, but my handwriting when using a ballpoint pen is atrocious.

When I use a pencil it improves to legible.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

After that post hit the front page of Reddit with 16K upvotes, I had two different Websites contact me asking if I had any videos of myself printing neatly.

that seems kinda creepy

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular

A whole new fetish frontier.

zkHcp.jpg
    Did you guys know that Pilot used to be (and still is) a boutique pen company? In order to survive, most pen companies have had to branch into cheap office pen lines, but Pilot/Namiki still has a strong fountain and specialty pen offering.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    This thread certainly is a font of knowledge.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

A whole new fetish frontier.

As far as sex work goes I would gobble that up

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Being able to read cursive is massively important to historical research.

Not even close to everything is digitised yet.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    By the way, what is that instrument with the blue barrel in both pics

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Frank Ocean wrote a song with Futura in the title and Wes Anderson is synonymous with the font so I'm somewhere around that level of artistry and dedication

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Paladin wrote: »

Pencil/lead holder. You can buy packs of whatever type of leads you prefer and then load them into the handle.

tckvbhh2tdcv.jpg

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Pencil/lead holder. You can buy packs of whatever type of leads you prefer and then load them into the handle.

tckvbhh2tdcv.jpg

I cannot find hb or darker lead of those things for shit

edited December 2016

it's a Technical Mechanical Pencil

With a big thick lead you can sharpen.

Staedtler-Mars-780-Technical-mechanical-pencil-960x361.jpg

#pipe on