As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go Font Yourself

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I've seen people argue "without cursive, how would you sign documents?" or "you won't be able to read the constitution!"

I learned cursive in grade school, but wasn't forced to use it in high school and basically forgot how to do anything but sign my own name in cursive.

Imagine my surprise when the SAT had a paragraph you had to write in cursive that was basically saying you're the person you say you are taking this test. I printed it and hoped for the best.

It's been over 10 years now so I assume I got away with it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I don't use mine nearly as often as just a traditional pencil.

It always feels weirdly formal and old fashioned whenever I try to write in cursive.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    It always feels weirdly formal and old fashioned whenever I try to write in cursive.

practically no one under the age of 40 can read cursive anyways

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I only ever use cursive when writing checks

uc3ufTB.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    What's the big damn deal about cursive anyway? Why is there such a big push to preserve it in schools?

Tradition for Tradition's Sake.

And the persistent belief among a certain sort of old fashioned person that all of our communications technology is just a fad that will pass any day now. Any day. Just you wait.

I don't think that's it at all.

First of all it's a very small part of a modern curriculum, and it's taught at an important stage of developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

Second it's amazing to me that it's viewed as a "useless" skill, and then someone like DMAC here with his very neat handwriting is seen as a robot wizard artist.

After that post hit the front page of Reddit with 16K upvotes, I had two different Websites contact me asking if I had any videos of myself printing neatly.

A whole new fetish frontier.

DMAC Print ASMR

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My father's handwriting is so perfect that it ruined the illusion of Santa Claus for me at a very early age.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I print in dad caps.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    My father's handwriting is so perfect that it ruined the illusion of Santa Claus for me at a very early age.

I figured out the Santa thing quite early but was impressed that my parents went to the trouble of having someone else fill out the gift tags from Santa because they knew I'd identify their handwriting.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

this is

not true?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    What's the big damn deal about cursive anyway? Why is there such a big push to preserve it in schools?

And the persistent belief among a certain sort of old fashioned person that all of our communications technology is just a fad that will pass any day now. Any day. Just you wait.

First of all it's a very small part of a modern curriculum, and it's taught at an important stage of developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.

Second it's amazing to me that it's viewed as a "useless" skill, and then someone like DMAC here with his very neat handwriting is seen as a robot wizard artist.

there may be some pedagogical value in teaching cursive but that absolutely isn't the reason that many people are resistant to phasing it out

Shorty on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    And to that second point, plate-spinning or three-point shooting are useless skills and yet

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

After that post hit the front page of Reddit with 16K upvotes, I had two different Websites contact me asking if I had any videos of myself printing neatly.

A whole new fetish frontier.

As far as sex work goes I would gobble that up

I am blocking all of you for missing this delicious pun

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Cursive rules and I don't give two craps in a hand whether anyone else can read it, which helps.

Cursive rules and I don't give two craps in a hand whether anyone else can read it, which helps.

I'm totally down for the expression of the English language in any way people can find to do it

Plus I think it looks cool sometimes

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    By the way, what is that instrument with the blue barrel in both pics

Pencil/lead holder. You can buy packs of whatever type of leads you prefer and then load them into the handle.

tckvbhh2tdcv.jpg

I cannot find hb or darker lead of those things for shit

Faber Castell sells up to 3B for the standard 2mm leads and up to 6B for the thicker 3.15mm.

Due to my Dad's job I've been using them For the better part of my life and still have some from the 70s I think.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    sq37SRx.jpg?1

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have fairly legible handwriting (handwriting, not signature, that's just a drawing at this point), but as I concentrate, it gets smaller and smaller.

Made handwritten notes during exams somewhat less useful than perhaps they should have been.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I used to microprint cheat sheets for myself when I was nervous about an exam and then I'd get nervous about being caught and end up holding them under my sweaty palm during then test and not looking. Just the act of making them and then worrying about using them usually helped me memorize the contents.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm left handed, so when ever I use any pen other than a ball point my writing gets horribly streaked by my hand. Curse this right handed world I live in!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My favourite mechanical pen that I got the most use out of and still have is a L&C Hardthmut Toison d'Or Versatil 5900 wchich must be from before 1992 because it hase the price of 4.50 kcs engraved on it. The best thing about it is the tiny sharpener that is screwed into the end of it.

I also used to have a funky looking Tekagraph 9603 that sadly got stolen some years ago. Fucking students.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    @DMAC what's internet fame like

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My quick writing for note taking is atrocious, but I can read it so who cares?

I can write pretty well when I know someone else is going to need to read it.

BLM - ACAB
    Xehalus wrote: »
    @DMAC what's internet fame like

A lot like Internet anonymity.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The first name in my signature keeps getting shorter as I get older. When I sign actual documents (as opposed to credit card slips) I have to really take my time to do it right.

ASimPerson on
    bowen wrote: »

this is

not true?

Let me rephrase that:

Practically no one in my area can read cursive under the age of 40.

This may be different if you live in the commonwealth.

But cursive is sort of taught in 4th grade, then forgotten about, and if you are told "write in cursive, because all colleges will require it" and you write in cursive and are told "just print, I can't read cursive" by the TAs in college... you sort of come to some conclusions.

At least here. I only had one teacher in high school that could actually read cursive, and that was ~15 years ago.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    If we're going by anecdotes, I can read cursive perfectly fine and I graduated college 10 years ago.

ASimPerson on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I literally don't think I've ever met a person who has said "I can't read cursive"

There are plenty of schools that are dropping cursive in the US, it might be a US only thing.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Yeah no, me and Bowen live in the same area. People literally can't read cursive around here if they're under the age of 40 basically.

If you don't believe us come take a trip to scenic central NY. Just make sure to wear your requisite "Make America Great Again" hat.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yeah no, me and Bowen live in the same area. People literally can't read cursive around here if they're under the age of 40 basically.

If you don't believe us come take a trip to scenic central NY. Just make sure to wear your requisite "Make America Great Again" hat.

The one written in cursive, right?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My normal handwriting is... okay I guess? The neater I want it to be the more printed it gets, and the faster I need it the more joined up it gets. I think it's pretty neat overall but I apparently do certain letters in ways that don't read right to other people.

Here is an example of some moderate-effort writing from earlier today when I wrote down my new year's resolutions

78znm7omy17r.jpg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love cursive.

And also hate ballpoint pens.

Fight me I guess?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I can't write for shit, which is hilarious because I own and use a lot of fountain pens. Most people think that means I'm into calligraphy and will have nice handwriting, but nope. My writing looks like a toddler smearing his feces on the wall. I do want to improve my handwriting though. I'm super lazy and never get around to it, but maybe I will one day.

But my pens are fancy and my ink is scented! I use a dark gray ink that smells of roses at work, and a nice blue ink that smells like lavender at home. Let me see if I can find pictures of some of my pens because they're real pretty.

JtgVX0H.png
    I love cursive.

And also hate ballpoint pens.

Fight me I guess?

I love ballpoint pens for drawing

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Let's see, here's a few of my pens!
    Here's my latest glass dip pen, which is a lot of fun to write with. My other one has a chip on the tip so it scratches and tears paper

14882254_1240245882665293_4249315464586112017_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e265005afd3539b4a87c6377a240663f&oe=58F13363

This one my wife recently got me for our anniversary. It has a very fine nib but it's kinda finicky to write with.

14612527_1220322694657612_6347657191746265118_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=22ca20425b948650a58a9564010e5f39&oe=58D8A7F5

This pen has a 14k rose gold nib and trim and writes super smoothly. I love it but don't carry it at work for fear of losing it.

10845743_907071845982700_8022168676788173520_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=de1598f36825f6108e118b9dfb431e84&oe=58F68AEE

Here's another pic of it with a small sample of my shit handwriting

11134133_906270626062822_7225888474809107113_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=d136120a5a79e649bb04cefc0e43482f&oe=58D9E9AE

Here's my first glass dip pen (the one with a chip in it)

11011896_906270746062810_6717420030496081069_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=28696b9b6a8ac1dcc50dffefa92a213c&oe=58D623CC

Another pic of the glass pen

11084123_906270692729482_531908754225636901_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=202e93ba5c342dced9986dc5053fed89&oe=58EDCCBD

Here's the inks used in those pictures. The blue one is the lavender-scented ink I mentioned earlier

11130323_906270842729467_355642458520051629_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c430a584b3460fc828a8697447198710&oe=58EE927C

And this one was my first fountain pen ever, and still my absolute favorite. It's a Lamy Safari and it's a great fountain pen for those that are looking into them.

15724544_1305887816101099_7732970840313194300_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=af1190bba4639849607df0a8aa6bfcf5&oe=58EA658B

JtgVX0H.png
    I'm interested in trying some fancy cursive script but I feel like a dip pen would only lead to tears. Almost every time I've tried inking with a brush or dip pen I've managed to make a mess.