As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HELP ADVICE IS ALSO GONE SEEK OR DISPENSE WISDOM HERE

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    how do i do thing

brzEXG1.jpg

You just do the thing bro.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Okay so how about tomatillos? I made this pozole over the weekend that needed a ton of them, and it came out good and all but it was the first time I'd ever worked with the things and frankly... they're kind of disgusting. Waxy and sticky and awful. I ended up not using ones that looked really dubious (since they were covered when I bought them), but I really had no idea what shape they were supposed to be, or what they look or feel like when they're ripe.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    LU5MsPd.gif

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    When purchasing an avocado, color is not as important as many people think. The avocado should yield slightly to gentle pressure without being squishy if you wish to use it immediately. An avocado that is hard to the touch will ripen in 3-5 days at room temperature. If you are making a large dish and have the time, purchase hard avocados a week ahead of time and leave them on your counter. As each avocado becomes soft enough to yield to gentle pressure, immediately move it to the refrigerator. This will slow the ripening process and allow you to accrue a sizable number of avocados at the ideal point of ripeness.

You can also tell the ripeness of an avocado by lifting up the stem on the fat end. Green is good, brown is bad.

Man!

Where were you that time I bought an avacado? "Is it kind of squishy when you sorta squish it?" only helps if you've ever handled a ripe avacado.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Okay so how about tomatillos? I made this pozole over the weekend that needed a ton of them, and it came out good and all but it was the first time I'd ever worked with the things and frankly... they're kind of disgusting. Waxy and sticky and awful. I ended up not using ones that looked really dubious (since they were covered when I bought them), but I really had no idea what shape they were supposed to be, or what they look or feel like when they're ripe.

Buy canned. It seems counterintuitive, but tomatillos have a very short harvesting season, and the kind you get from a greenhouse are horseshit. Unless you're buying them from a farmer's market very close to Mexico, modern canning techniques are going to give you a much better product than "fresh."

If it makes you feel better, a professional chef will always go for quality whole canned tomatoes for sauces unless they know damn well where the available fresh tomatoes were shipped from and how they were grown.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Buy canned. It seems counterintuitive, but tomatillos have a very short harvesting season, and the kind you get from a greenhouse are horseshit. Unless you're buying them from a farmer's market very close to Mexico, modern canning techniques are going to give you a much better product than "fresh."

If it makes you feel better, a professional chef will always go for quality whole canned tomatoes for sauces unless they know damn well where the available fresh tomatoes were shipped from and how they were grown.

Really? Ugh. I hate doing that when I can chop the actual fruit myself, but I have to admit... they didn't have as much... taste? as I thought they would. I had to buy pretty much everything they had for this recipe and they were so gross to handle that if I can do better with canned I'm really not sure it's worth it. Chopping fucking tomatillos for my food processor is pretty much what took all the time. If I could have opened the can it would have been a 15-minute affair to get the stuff cooking.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    yeah the sticky shit on tomatillos grosses me out so I go canned as well.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    SALSA.

Also wtf Jedoc is just a font of wisdom.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    does anyone know any weird tricks to give me a bigger penis

Sorry, I only know a simple trick and an old trick. And if I told you either the penises industry would hate me.

It's fire. I ain't scared of Big Penis.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Help my cat keeps pestering me for attention. What do I do?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    give it attention

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    conversely i'm very afraid of big penis

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Help my cat keeps pestering me for attention. What do I do?
    crwth wrote: »
    conversely i'm very afraid of big penis

Pretty sure these are related.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    If a calf is rejected by its mother, move it as soon as possible to a stable or lean-to. Ensure that the ground is covered with plenty of dry straw, and hang some sort of heat lamp from the ceiling where the calf can't get to it. Unless the weather is extremely cold, an incandescent utility lamp will suffice.

If the calf was rejected before its first feeding, you will want to feed it up to a quart of colustrum (milk produced in the late stages of pregnancy. This can be acquired cheaply from local dairies and kept frozen until needed.) If no colustrum is available, mix together one quart of warm water with a cup of powdered milk (protein level 25% or higher,) two eggs, a tablespoon of honey, and one dose of water-soluble A, D, and E vitamins (available from any farm supply store and good for long-term storage in the fridge.)

A good calf bottle is cheaply available from any farm supply store and will save you a world of trouble over bucket feeding. Keep the bottle at a steep vertical angle to prevent bubbles and bloating. Be sure to take the bottle away before the calf sucks it dry for the same reason.

If the calf refuses the bottle, straddle it facing forward and lean over its head while you offer the nipple. This is awkward, but will help the calf feel secure for the first few feedings.

After the initial colustrum feeding, give the calf three one-quart bottles of powdered milk per day, mixed into warm water according to the instructions on the bag. Mixing an egg into the milk can ensure strong early growth, and honey can prevent constipation. Continue this regimen for the first two weeks.

At the end of the first week, start putting out small amounts of alfalfa hay and calf pellets in a feeding bowl. The calf may not eat at first, but it's important to have solid food available when they're ready. As soon as the calf starts eating solid food, make sure to have a steady supply of fresh water available.

After two weeks, reduce the bottle feeding to two one-quart bottles per day. Continue until the calf is four months old or until they start refusing the bottle. Once they start eating solid food, supplement the alfalfa with oats, ground corn, soy meal, and small amounts of salt. After four months, they should be ready to release into the herd and forage for themselves.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Help! Today I earned my 10th anniversary badge but have done nothing to show for it. How can I stop feeling like a hopeless failure? Is there a cure??

• Options
    If a calf is rejected by its mother, move it as soon as possible to a stable or lean-to. Ensure that the ground is covered with plenty of dry straw, and hang some sort of heat lamp from the ceiling where the calf can't get to it. Unless the weather is extremely cold, an incandescent utility lamp will suffice.

If the calf was rejected before its first feeding, you will want to feed it up to a quart of colustrum (milk produced in the late stages of pregnancy. This can be acquired cheaply from local dairies and kept frozen until needed.) If no colustrum is available, mix together one quart of warm water with a cup of powdered milk (protein level 25% or higher,) two eggs, a tablespoon of honey, and one dose of water-soluble A, D, and E vitamins (available from any farm supply store and good for long-term storage in the fridge.)

A good calf bottle is cheaply available from any farm supply store and will save you a world of trouble over bucket feeding. Keep the bottle at a steep vertical angle to prevent bubbles and bloating. Be sure to take the bottle away before the calf sucks it dry for the same reason.

If the calf refuses the bottle, straddle it facing forward and lean over its head while you offer the nipple. This is awkward, but will help the calf feel secure for the first few feedings.

After the initial colustrum feeding, give the calf three one-quart bottles of powdered milk per day, mixed into warm water according to the instructions on the bag. Mixing an egg into the milk can ensure strong early growth, and honey can prevent constipation. Continue this regimen for the first two weeks.

At the end of the first week, start putting out small amounts of alfalfa hay and calf pellets in a feeding bowl. The calf may not eat at first, but it's important to have solid food available when they're ready. As soon as the calf starts eating solid food, make sure to have a steady supply of fresh water available.

After two weeks, reduce the bottle feeding to two one-quart bottles per day. Continue until the calf is four months old or until they start refusing the bottle. Once they start eating solid food, supplement the alfalfa with oats, ground corn, soy meal, and small amounts of salt. After four months, they should be ready to release into the herd and forage for themselves.

Can agree, from experience.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you're ever lost in the woods, walk in as close as a straight line as you can go until you reach running water. Then follow that downstream. It will feed into larger bodies of flowing water, which is where people tend to be.

My luck I'd end up parallel to a river I couldn't see that eventually turns away from me!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Eat at Arby's.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Go hiking.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    If you do go hiking, for God's sake don't be like be like me. Wear the right shoes for the terrain and have a camel pack the FIRST time you go out, don't try to make it two more trips lugging bottles of water in a normal backpack wearing tennis shoes like I did. Those two things make all the difference in the world, even to a beginner.

ceres on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    If you're ever lost in the woods, walk in as close as a straight line as you can go until you reach running water. Then follow that downstream. It will feed into larger bodies of flowing water, which is where people tend to be.

what's a water and why is it running?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

what's a water and why is it running?

Well I don't know what a water is but I imagine it's running for the same reason everything runs........to get away from its problems.......... Just like us.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If you do go hiking, for God's sake don't be like be like me. Wear the right shoes for the terrain and have a camel pack the FIRST time you go out, don't try to make it two more trips lugging bottles of water in a normal backpack wearing tennis shoes like I did. Those two things make all the difference in the world, even to a beginner.

If you're hiking in predator territory (take 10 minutes or whatever and check), bring deterrent.

No, bells aren't deterrent.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MariisunMariisun In the plains of NefirRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

If you're hiking in predator territory (take 10 minutes or whatever and check), bring deterrent.

What would count as deterrent?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Could a mod spelunk back into the Holiday forum for me? I got some tech/computer help in the Build me a computer thread (I think thats what it was called)

Someone linked a comprehensive list of things to try if your computer wont post/show anything and I'm having trouble finding that info again.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Calling the predator Senpai.

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    THIS IS NOW THE COMPUTER BUILD THREAD.

I just built a computer for my wife but its having some issues. Well. Specifically one issue.

So, the computer turns on, no bios, post, flash, or text of any kind. Both case fans and cpu cooler fan running, mobo leds are on, front case leds are on, and then the computer power cycles at 17-18 seconds.
    I have only basic pc construction knowledge. Not enough to properly troubleshoot. Rechecked all power connections to motherboard, checked fan connects, detached and reapplied cpu cooler, disconnected graphics card and sata cables. Tried memory in different slots. No changes. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I dont really know where to go from here.

Parts list:
    • Mobo - Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Intel Skylake ATX
    • CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K
    • Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler
    • Ram - Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400
    • PSU - Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS550
    • Graphics - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    • HDD - Seagate Desktop 3.5 inch 2TB 7200
    • SSD - Samsung 120 gb

You might have forgotten to plug in the CPU power. There should be a connector somewhere near the cpu that fits a plug similar to the kind that powers your graphics card. Make sure that's plugged in.

I have both the 8 pin and the 24 pin plugged in, is that it or is there an extra plug I should be scouring the board for?

Ill order a new battery and try that I guess! Then to try and return the motherboard....

You can buy the battery at a hardware store, and even most pharmacies. CR2032 are as cheap as $2 if you shop around. I've saved at least a dozen 'broken' motherboards with new CMOS batteries. Looking at the reviews, your board is almost two years old. It wouldn't surprise me if the battery simply lost charge over time.

If you have another computer laying around, try the power supply on it and see if it posts. That's the easiest way to troubleshoot that. If you have 24 and 8pin plugged in, you should be good; though if you have a 20+4pin connector, make sure it's seated correctly.

Another problem could be that your 1070 is DOA, and it is posting, just not showing on the monitor. Try using the on-board video.

If none of that works, ship the motherboard back. BIOS should post even if you don't have the HDD/GPU/RAM installed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yes! Thank you very much Ceres!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    "Best if used by [date]" is an advisory, not a rule. Many people, especially those in their early 20s just starting on their own, don't realize this, and you can save a not-insignificant amount of money accordingly.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    H&A is back

• Options
    false alarm

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tube:

I appreciate the effort, if that means anything. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mariisun wrote: »

A .45 or something in .44.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Mariisun wrote: »

Anything that has a proven effect in terms of convincing a predator, in the unlikely event of a face to face encounter, that trying to take you out is no Bueno - or, alternatively, anything that will forcefully stop a predator.

Bear spray & bear bangers fit into the former category, firearms fit into the latter. I'm not personally a fan of firearms, but if that's what you're comfortable with then that's what you should probably bring with you.

You don't need to be super paranoid if you're going hiking in an area where the last bear/cougar/wolf encounter with a person was in 1742 or something, but if you're going into a place with a relatively high incidence rate ('relatively high' would be, say, an encounter - peaceful or not - at least once per year), IMHO it is absolutely necessary to carry a deterrent with you. If a big bear or cat shows up and you have to scare it off with bear spray, you'll have some stress to deal with & a story to tell - if one shows up and decides to take you out, you'll be either toast or maimed and the animal will be shot by either park services or police.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    help i can't stop listening to run the jewels

poo
  • Options
    If someone takes a firearm to deter bears say, do they take something that could actually kill it or is a 9mm enough to make a bear say "man, fuck this"

• Options
    Depends highly on the bear.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    https://youtu.be/ch7HwhGynXk
    Svalbard, where guns are compulsory.

Here's the guidelines:
    LINK TO PDF
     Rifles used for protection against polar bears shall have a minimum calibre of .308W or 30-06
    (7.62 mm). Rifle bullets shall be expanding, with a minimum bullet weight of 11.5 g. The
    required impact energy shall be 2,700 J, measured at a distance of 100 m.
    Shotguns used for protection against polar bears shall have a minimum calibre of 12, and
    should have a magazine permitting a minimum of four shots (automatic or pump-action
    shotgun). The use of slugs (shotgun ammunition comprised of one projectile) is
    recommended for protection against polar bears.
    Handguns for which an applicant is seeking a permit for use as protection against polar bears
    shall have a minimum calibre of 44.
     Ammunition to be used for protection against polar bears shall have a minimum weight of
    15.5 g and a minimum muzzle energy of 1,200 J.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Unless it's a small specimen, an angry bear will most likely give zero fucks about a 9mm

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.