As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Radio [Podcasts]

194959799100

Posts

  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    They sound really fuckin comfy! I just don't think I could ever justify that crazy pricetag for underwear, not matter how comfy.

    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    SyphonBlue
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The craziest podcast advertising thing was when Pistol Shrimps Radio let slip that that dumb watch company includes in the copy that you should say that people have been complimenting you on the watch when you wear it in public

    Speed RacerNeoTomaOlivawGonmunLorahaloThe BetgirlMs DapperGatsbyStiltsCurly_Brace
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Also when Scott Aukerman's antagonistic relationship with Squarespace resulted in an email that opens with "It sounds like the host is having trouble understanding what a landing page is!"

    Speed RacerOlivawNeoTomacaptaink
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Goofs aside, the McElroys' overenthusiastic sales pitches make me legit uncomfortable

    Travis is ten times worse with this than the others

    I'm not really sure how you would like them to do their advertisements?

    Like, Jeff Gerstmann does the same thing

    That it can be read as sarcastic doesn't change the fact that he is telling you these things he probably doesn't care about are the best thing ever

    That's how they stay afloat

    It's not quite the same

    Giant Bomb maintains a certain distance, as individuals, from the product, usually via character voices. It's always clear they're reading the copy.

    The McElroys go above and beyond, and assure you on occasion that they're not just reading the copy and they're really giving their personal endorsement. Well-meaning it may be, but it's unnecessary and kind of uncomfortable to me.

    OlivawSyphonBlueBahamutZERO
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I dunno if it was antagonistic

    He just wanted to know what a landing page was and refused to look it up or listen to anyone but Squarespace explain it!

    NeoTomaDarkPrimus
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I dunno if it was antagonistic

    He just wanted to know what a landing page was and refused to look it up or listen to anyone but Squarespace explain it!

    Well he did also tell people to go on Twitter and ask Squarespace what it is

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I dunno if it was antagonistic

    He just wanted to know what a landing page was and refused to look it up or listen to anyone but Squarespace explain it!

    Well he did also tell people to go on Twitter and ask Squarespace what it is

    Welllllll yeahhhhhhh

  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I dunno, Vinny seems like he's all aboard that MeUndies train, and Alex eats Blue Apron and also I believe sleeps on Leesa or Casper or one of those delivery mattresses.

    But yeah, Jeff kind of keeps himself out of those ad reads.

    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Side note

    Mrs chilla got me a pair of meundies for xmas and I'm actively angry at how amazingly comfortable they are because it means I want more of them

    Sellout!

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Part of the reason I fell off of MBMBaM for so long is because the Money Zone stopped being funny and started being a place for them to literally endorse products

    Like you go back to a few years ago and they'll sell you on Hulu Plus or something by doing some goofs (not to mention the golden days of Extreme Restraints) but these days it's all just straight up and down ad-copy or otherwise something they actually use so they want you to make dang sure that they're absolutely serious when they say it's good

    And the Money Zone just seems to get larger in relation to the rest of the podcast! Combine that with how long it takes them to end the show these days while they plug every other show they do plus some Maximum Fun nonsense, and I feel like the show is forty minutes of comedy at best

    Honestly it's kind of why I'm hopeful for their TV show--no mid episode commercials

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Medium Dave
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh shit right the Flop House boys return on today's Adventure Zone

    I forgot all about it

  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Goofs aside, the McElroys' overenthusiastic sales pitches make me legit uncomfortable

    Travis is ten times worse with this than the others

    I'm not really sure how you would like them to do their advertisements?

    Like, Jeff Gerstmann does the same thing

    That it can be read as sarcastic doesn't change the fact that he is telling you these things he probably doesn't care about are the best thing ever

    That's how they stay afloat

    It's not quite the same

    Giant Bomb maintains a certain distance, as individuals, from the product, usually via character voices. It's always clear they're reading the copy.

    The McElroys go above and beyond, and assure you on occasion that they're not just reading the copy and they're really giving their personal endorsement. Well-meaning it may be, but it's unnecessary and kind of uncomfortable to me.

    So you want them to not like the product they are advertising for?

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I dunno, Vinny seems like he's all aboard that MeUndies train, and Alex eats Blue Apron and also I believe sleeps on Leesa or Casper or one of those delivery mattresses.

    But yeah, Jeff kind of keeps himself out of those ad reads.

    You're right, they're not perfect, and their imperfections are magnified by the fact that they're journalists.

    I mean, so are Justin and Griffin, but their podcasts are usually unrelated to that.

    All-around I find myself skipping podcast ads much more recently. The reason I see fit to complain about the McElroys is I don't skip them. too many good good goofs have been nestled in the Money Zone.

  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I dunno, Vinny seems like he's all aboard that MeUndies train, and Alex eats Blue Apron and also I believe sleeps on Leesa or Casper or one of those delivery mattresses.

    But yeah, Jeff kind of keeps himself out of those ad reads.

    Vinny's FanDuel ad where he just said Austin's name over and over is one of my favorite gbe moments

    NeoToma
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am baffled by the insistence that people not use the things they are selling

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    GR_ZombieGatsby
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about doing blue apron because I basically don't cook at all and I'd like to get better at it, and having exactly what I need sent to me would help with that.

    The problem is it's portioned and priced for 2, and I'm worried that it'll end up a waste of my money because I'll get too much food that ends up going to waste if I don't like a recipe or screw one up.

    Anyone have any experience with it?

    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Money Zone is the only podcast ads I don't skip through

    Well, I don't skip through them on the Adventure Zone, but that's only because Griffin also throws in relevant information on the future of the show

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    What's going on with y'all's crotches that you'd need "more comfortable" underwear? I wear $2/pair Wal-mart brand underwear and the only time I even notice it is when people talk about it, and even then it's in the "oh yeah I have underwear, I guess" sense. The core conceit of MeUndies is entirely baffling to me.

    turtleantTommy2Hands
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I've been thinking about doing blue apron because I basically don't cook at all and I'd like to get better at it, and having exactly what I need sent to me would help with that.

    The problem is it's portioned and priced for 2, and I'm worried that it'll end up a waste of my money because I'll get too much food that ends up going to waste if I don't like a recipe or screw one up.

    Anyone have any experience with it?

    I've used it and I think it's a wonderful way to learn to cook, and if you're single I think it's a lot more convenient than going to get the ingredients

    You WOULD lose out on waste if you don't like it, but way less than if you looked up a recipe online and made that and didn't like it because they're giving you only what you need for the recipe and not all the extra that you'd need to buy at the store (excess tomato paste or beans or whatever you have to toss out)

    You can usually find a free or reduced cost trial as well

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    NeoTomaTommy2HandsTankHammer
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The craziest podcast advertising thing was when Pistol Shrimps Radio let slip that that dumb watch company includes in the copy that you should say that people have been complimenting you on the watch when you wear it in public

    ...oh my god, Griffin said people complimented him on his watch during an ad read recently

    Did someone at MaxFun straight up go to them and say "look we've gotten a few complaints so just read the fucking copy, we need this ad revenue"

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I've been thinking about doing blue apron because I basically don't cook at all and I'd like to get better at it, and having exactly what I need sent to me would help with that.

    The problem is it's portioned and priced for 2, and I'm worried that it'll end up a waste of my money because I'll get too much food that ends up going to waste if I don't like a recipe or screw one up.

    Anyone have any experience with it?

    I've used it and I think it's a wonderful way to learn to cook, and if you're single I think it's a lot more convenient than going to get the ingredients

    You WOULD lose out on waste if you don't like it, but way less than if you looked up a recipe online and made that and didn't like it because they're giving you only what you need for the recipe and not all the extra that you'd need to buy at the store (excess tomato paste or beans or whatever you have to toss out)

    You can usually find a free or reduced cost trial as well

    Thanks dude. I've been on the fence about it for a while but this is what I was hoping to hear. Did you tend to like the recipes?

    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    Chincymcchilla
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I've been thinking about doing blue apron because I basically don't cook at all and I'd like to get better at it, and having exactly what I need sent to me would help with that.

    The problem is it's portioned and priced for 2, and I'm worried that it'll end up a waste of my money because I'll get too much food that ends up going to waste if I don't like a recipe or screw one up.

    Anyone have any experience with it?

    I've used it and I think it's a wonderful way to learn to cook, and if you're single I think it's a lot more convenient than going to get the ingredients

    You WOULD lose out on waste if you don't like it, but way less than if you looked up a recipe online and made that and didn't like it because they're giving you only what you need for the recipe and not all the extra that you'd need to buy at the store (excess tomato paste or beans or whatever you have to toss out)

    You can usually find a free or reduced cost trial as well

    Yeah I was not dissatisfied with my trial of Blue Apron (other than, like most people, wishing the portion sizes were a bit bigger) from a quality of product perspective. I just realized I don't actually WANT to spend 30-60 minutes preparing and cooking a meal. I don't care how delicious it is (and it was delicious) that's time I could be spending Pokemonning and I don't enjoy wasting it on tedious food prep. If the activity itself is something you want to do, they do a very good job of guiding you through it.

    a5ehren
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I am baffled by the insistence that people not use the things they are selling

    It's not about them not using the things

    Like for all we know Jeff eats three Blue Apron meals a day while wearing MeUndies, laying on his Casper mattress, and building a website on the side with Squarespace

    But he doesn't make it a point to talk about how no, for real, these things are great and it's not just because they're paying me to say they're great

    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    SomestickguyDiarmuid
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I am baffled by the insistence that people not use the things they are selling

    But that's not what I'm saying here

    I'm saying that the personal nature of podcasts has led to some murky waters when it comes to commercialising them

    This isn't at all about whether they use the products in question, It's about maintaining a professional distance regardless of their personal feelings, positive or negative

    I'm not saying it's inherently wrong either. I've specified that it makes me, personally, uncomfortable, because it seems like a slippery slope. You could say the same about sponsored youtube content. That line keeps getting blurred, and of course that's going to raise ethical questions.

  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think the marketing that goes on around podcasts are definitely worth examining.
    As a signmaker, I generally have some pride that I don't con or exploit anyone with my work.
    Unless it's straight up snake oil, there are angles to approach stuff honestly.
    If I got a job to do an order for MeUndies, I probably wouldn't grouse too much designing something that highlighted premium underwear.
    But I also think doing ad copy for a weekly podcast would be a far more difficult thing then one or two sign jobs that you have time set aside to ponder over and design.

    How many times and ways can you say MeUndies uses the finest fabrics in the most comfortable arrangement before sliding into
    "MeUndies will change your life", Doctor Oz Shit.

    SomestickguyTommy2Hands
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Take me back to the halcyon days of advertising, where Dick Cavett would tell me to my face how great smoking was for my health.

    Poorochondriac on
    GustavNeoTomaOlivawWeedLordVegetaTommy2HandsYaYaGatsbyCurly_Brace-TalASimPerson
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I've been thinking about doing blue apron because I basically don't cook at all and I'd like to get better at it, and having exactly what I need sent to me would help with that.

    The problem is it's portioned and priced for 2, and I'm worried that it'll end up a waste of my money because I'll get too much food that ends up going to waste if I don't like a recipe or screw one up.

    Anyone have any experience with it?

    I got a one week trial from a friend. Generally I'll eat 75% of the meal when I make it, then then eat the rest next day. Of the six meals I made I really liked 5 of them. And I regularly make 3 of those meals own even now

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Subscribe to my YouTube channel where I wear bad-fitting suits and have deluded myself into thinking I'm even a twentieth as handsome as Jon Hamm so I can play Don Draper, Podcast Advertiser

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I am baffled by the insistence that people not use the things they are selling

    But that's not what I'm saying here

    I'm saying that the personal nature of podcasts has led to some murky waters when it comes to commercialising them

    This isn't at all about whether they use the products in question, It's about maintaining a professional distance regardless of their personal feelings, positive or negative

    I'm not saying it's inherently wrong either. I've specified that it makes me, personally, uncomfortable, because it seems like a slippery slope. You could say the same about sponsored youtube content. That line keeps getting blurred, and of course that's going to raise ethical questions.

    I think there are definitely concerns to be had here, but personally I feel as long as you're up-front about what's a sponsored statement, there's no problem here. I don't care who you are or how sincere you sound, as soon as you say "this content is sponsored" I immediately file it as "advertisement" and if someone doesn't, that's a matter of education and the onus for that isn't on the people trying to put food on their table with sponsorship money. Disclosure is what matters. You can't create ethical barriers around presentation because that's not a something that can be objectively delineated.

    BahamutZEROGatsbyStilts
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Somestickguy does it ease your worries that Chincy, who isn't being paid by these brands, is giving the same kinds of endorsements as the brothers?

  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Also the McElroy brothers are not experts and their advice should never be followed. That includes advice on whose products to buy.

    NeoTomaOlivaw
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    How the fuck did this CBB episode make #2, it sucks

    Also either Professor Stealwater or the Time Keeper having a huge ritualistic time orgy didn't make the cut and either way that's unforgivable

  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Somestickguy does it ease your worries that Chincy, who isn't being paid by these brands, is giving the same kinds of endorsements as the brothers?

    What? I'm not worried about these products specifically, I'm concerned about the direction podcast advertising is going. There's quite clearly a discussion to be had, as evidenced by the discussion we're currently having.

    Anyway, Maddoc and Virgil articulated my points better than I managed myself, so I'll defer to them.

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    4 straight days of people insisting that they mean the Simpsons bit as well as a lot of horrible top episode choices just kind of solidify that the CBB fanbase might be terrible

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I for one hope people tell them they mean the simpsons straight through to 2018

    I'm tempted to make a bot that tweets it at them once a day

    Speed Racer on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    4 straight days of people insisting that they mean the Simpsons bit as well as a lot of horrible top episode choices just kind of solidify that the CBB fanbase might be terrible

    Honestly I assume all internet fanbases are terrible until they prove otherwise.

    MBMBaM fans, at least the ones I've encountered, seem to be one of the rare exceptions.

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    4 straight days of people insisting that they mean the Simpsons bit as well as a lot of horrible top episode choices just kind of solidify that the CBB fanbase might be terrible

    Honestly I assume all internet fanbases are terrible until they prove otherwise.

    MBMBaM fans, at least the ones I've encountered, seem to be one of the rare exceptions.

    Zoe Quinn knows more than anybody about horrible internet fanbases, and she says she always encounters the nicest people when she goes and does something with Giant Bomb

    admanb
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    My Giant Bomb videos are surrounded by an enormous amount of positivity

    My Undertale video, on the other hand

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The best podcast ad thing was the CBB live tour

    Where they awkwardly forced the conversation toward talking about Leesa Mattresses every single show

    captaink
This discussion has been closed.