As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Could be a natural sound of the suspension moving up and down. Maybe something back there needs grease?

That or a sticking parking brake.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Could be the suspension. The sound only started recently, which is why I'm concerned. I'm just glad it is doing whatever it is while I'm in warranty rather than after.

Edit: parking break may be a thing too, but I'm not feeling any resistance. On this car, the parking break is completely electrical on my end, either on or off, so it could be that it isn't turning off all the way like it was before?

Nitsua on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Could be the suspension. The sound only started recently, which is why I'm concerned. I'm just glad it is doing whatever it is while I'm in warranty rather than after.

Edit: parking break may be a thing too, but I'm not feeling any resistance. On this car, the parking break is completely electrical on my end, either on or off, so it could be that it isn't turning off all the way like it was before?

Could be a dragging brake caliper. Might also be a dry driveshaft CV joint. Basically it needs to go on a lift and have a thorough inspection.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I'll make sure they do that. Thanks everyone for your responses.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Older park brakes (drum-in-hat) used to self adjust when reversing, but this car is new enough where it's likely integral with the caliper. Could be something as simple as a backing plate that got tweaked when unloading it off a trailer, and is now contacting the brake (can sound like a stone in the brakes).

Same advice though, take it in, but definitely request to take the technician for a road test to demonstrate. Then you can show them how to make the noise, and they can't say "we couldn't find it".

No, you CAN find it, I showed you how.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    What do you guys think of replica kit cars?
    I'm kinda doing some research on like a Ford RS200 or Ferrari F40. Not the awful ones that are based on Imprezas or Fieros, respectively. But the ones where you get the frames and body parts, you either buy an engine from the company that makes the kit car or supply your own,

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you've got the time, money, and space, go for it. Just be sure to do a lot of research into the history of the company and the engineering of the kit you are intetested in, make sure you don't end up with a shitbox.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    There was somebody making a Lancia Stratos replica that I really want. Forget the name now.

There was somebody making a Lancia Stratos replica that I really want. Forget the name now.

Ooooh nice - and while the genuine Ferrari V6 might be hard to get hold of, an Alfa V6 would look and sound the part (and probably make more horsepower)!

Ooooh nice - and while the genuine Ferrari V6 might be hard to get hold of, an Alfa V6 would look and sound the part (and probably make more horsepower)!

Yep that had a couple Alfa V6s as an option.

Lister Bell was the name!

I looked at that one too. I cannot fit. :(
    Silly short Italians and British folk!!

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'm kinda doing some research on like a Ford RS200 or Ferrari F40. Not the awful ones that are based on Imprezas or Fieros, respectively. But the ones where you get the frames and body parts, you either buy an engine from the company that makes the kit car or supply your own,

If you've got the ability, the tools, the space, and lots of time and money, it makes for a nice project. If not, a boondoggle.

Make sure you fully understand everything it takes to get one titled and registered where you live before you start. There's a number of things in the law that can bite you in the ass if you are not careful.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    https://www.cooperbmw.co.uk/vehicles/2-series/2-series-30-i-m235i/2-series-30-i-m235i-av14gza-2908269/

I'm about to seal the deal on this. test driving it on friday, ready for me to buy next tuesday.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to pop in and say thanks, thread, for the Mazda 3 recommendations

I love it

Fairly roomy, average 35 MPG on hilly roads!

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I don't know why but I love red leather interiors. Whenever I spec a car that has the option of red seats I must have them.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ordered an Access Port for my WRX as an xmas gift to myself.

Time for some vroomvroom!

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Don't forget the brapbrap.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    https://www.cooperbmw.co.uk/vehicles/2-series/2-series-30-i-m235i/2-series-30-i-m235i-av14gza-2908269/

I'm about to seal the deal on this. test driving it on friday, ready for me to buy next tuesday.

That is slick AF.
    Ordered an Access Port for my WRX as an xmas gift to myself.

Time for some vroomvroom!

And I'm jealous, can't wait till my wife gives up her strangle hold on our WRX as her daily driver. I don't blame her one bit, but I wantssss it.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think that the only kit car I'd even go near is probably a Caterham. Supposedly they are super simple. Comparatively.

It's winter and the toys have been put away, and I am sad.

On one hand, I'm proud of this hyperfunctional, never-say-die Saturn SL2 I've been driving around. 206,000 miles and it has working heat, AC, ABS, traction control (!) and not so much as a check engine light on the dash. It spends about 50% of its driving time at WOT now and it just won't flinch.

On the other hand, fuck this boring 4 speed slushbox pile of shit, I want it to die so I have an excuse to buy something at least a little fun to drive for the next 3 months.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So the c100 motor may be salvageable yet! It was left with oil in and on it, so it's nearly rust free and I just have a lot of carbon fouling to remove. Also loads of gaskets to re-do, and the wiring and brakes certainly need refurbishment work...

On one hand, I'm proud of this hyperfunctional, never-say-die Saturn SL2 I've been driving around. 206,000 miles and it has working heat, AC, ABS, traction control (!) and not so much as a check engine light on the dash. It spends about 50% of its driving time at WOT now and it just won't flinch.

On the other hand, fuck this boring 4 speed slushbox pile of shit, I want it to die so I have an excuse to buy something at least a little fun to drive for the next 3 months.

I haven't seen Chris in a while, but obligatory "slap an LS in there, with at least 2 turbos".

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Also, I found out that the kickstarter not engaging may be a sign the clutch needs work rather than a full case-crackin', which is extra good

I haven't seen Chris in a while, but obligatory "slap an LS in there, with at least 2 turbos".

Ew gross no, that thing needs a date with with one of those giant shredders. Then get a bug-eye WRX with low mileage to replace it.

(Then put a twin turbo LT1 in the WRX)

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Don't forget the brapbrap.

vrooomPSSSHHH vrooomPSSHHHH
    (turbo BOV)

• stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular

Bring lots and lots of money. The last really good kit car I have been in that was not a Cobra was a 150K 917K copy. There were still a few things left to do even at that price point.

But, and I really mean this, there are Countach/Diable replicas out there that are better and more reliable then the original if you have say 90-110K to build it.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Yep that had a couple Alfa V6s as an option.

Lister Bell was the name!

There's Hawk too, which is the one they (ab)used on top gear that time.

edited December 2016

Bring lots and lots of money. The last really good kit car I have been in that was not a Cobra was a 150K 917K copy. There were still a few things left to do even at that price point.

But, and I really mean this, there are Countach/Diable replicas out there that are better and more reliable then the original if you have say 90-110K to build it.

I once did an oil change on a very nice Countach replica. The bodywork was flawless, and the chassis looked really nicely designed. It had double-A arm suspension with inboard coilovers at all four corners, and even used the genuine Lamborghini windscreen and wiper. It only had a Rover V8 in it, but it was a later model 4.3 out of a TVR with ITBs, a big cam, and beautiful custom extractors, and was apparently built and tuned for about 300 horsepower at the wheels, or not too far off an actual Countach, while being significantly lighter. The owner said he was into it for almost as much money as buying an actual second-hand Countach, but it was brand new, more reliable, and much much cheaper to own.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    OK - Ideas for a 10k or so fun car? Current thoughts are to save more and go old M3 or buy an FRS/BRZ and supercharge it once I have the spare coin.

schuss wrote: »
    OK - Ideas for a 10k or so fun car? Current thoughts are to save more and go old M3 or buy an FRS/BRZ and supercharge it once I have the spare coin.

WRX STI. A bug-eye in showroom condition should cost about that much in the 'States.

WRX STI. A bug-eye in showroom condition should cost about that much in the 'States.

Already had a Saab 9-2X Aero I drove for 100k and as much as I love them (and there's a blue WRX wagon for 5500 locally), I want to try something different.

Does it have to daily or is it pure fun? Cos an old euro iron for 10K could be something different.

What's an E30 go for nowadays, have all the 325s gone stupid on price?

pimento wrote: »
    Does it have to daily or is it pure fun? Cos an old euro iron for 10K could be something different.

Pure fun. E30's are intriguing, but I have limited time for wrenching, which is why they're a bit on the backburner (along with the recent price jumps). Also somewhat safety-conscious as I have 2 kids.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Pontiac GTO from the mid-2000s. I'm seeing 6.0L late models going for $12-14k with reasonable mileage, LS1 models for less.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Corvette C5s also start appearing around that price range.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    pimento wrote: »

Pure fun. E30's are intriguing, but I have limited time for wrenching, which is why they're a bit on the backburner (along with the recent price jumps). Also somewhat safety-conscious as I have 2 kids.

A well maintained E30 should require minimal wrenching, my two were both pretty damn solid. Safety though.. yea.

Volvo 850R? We just sold ours today. FF, but a damn good drive. The manual has more power and an LSD.

Nissan 350Z with a 6-speed transmission.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    If you don't need back seats, then a Saturn Sky Redline / Pontiac Solstice GXP would certainly cover your "something different" criteria.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    spono wrote: »
    If you don't need back seats, then a Saturn Sky Redline / Pontiac Solstice GXP would certainly cover your "something different" criteria.

a 2+2 would be ideal so I can transition into frightening/exciting my kids.

Mustang?

This discussion has been closed.