As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE THREAD OF SHRED [GUITAR]

MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
edited December 2016 in Social Entropy++
Dear diary,

Today Rocksmith rewarded me with More Notes. I'm the happiest girl in the whole wide world. I cannot wait until my fingers know where they fit.

Love, Emby

Continuation of the guitar thread from the holiday hangout. Keep it clean, kids. No strumming below the belt.

Metalbourne on

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Play it close to the bridge

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    "Life is too short so love the one you got
    Because you might get run over or you might get shot"

Is practically the only salvageable lyric from that song. Everything else is just puerile nonsense

Metalbourne on
    Alright so my guitar needs tuning pretty often, like every couple hours of playing. Is this a normal tuning rate? Is it new strings? Old strings? Shitty guitar? All three?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Alright so my guitar needs tuning pretty often, like every couple hours of playing. Is this a normal tuning rate? Is it new strings? Old strings? Shitty guitar? All three?

New strings often have to be streched out on the neck a little before they stop falling out of tune.

Old strings can also fall out of tune.

Also do you have a tremolo system? It's possible that can be part of the problem too.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2016

It could be a lot of things.

Are you playing more often than usual? How do you store your guitar? Does the room it sits in fluctuate in temperature a lot? Are the tuning keys loose? Is the action too high or too low?

Edit: tell us your setup and routine of playing and that should help.

Vanguard on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I bought a telecaster with a p-90 at the neck and custom electric work back in October, and then school got really busy and I've barely touched it

Well, at least the shitty draftiness of my room hasn't ruined the neck yet

Vanguard wrote: »

Are you playing more often than usual? How do you store your guitar? Does the room it sits in fluctuate in temperature a lot? Are the tuning keys loose? Is the action too high or too low?

Yes no yes no no

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is it a shit guitar? It could definitely just be a shit guitar being shit.

What is this I don't even.
    Wait is "all day from the time I wake up until I'm too sore too fret" considered more often than usual? Because I feel like I could play longer if I just had a robotic hand

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yes no yes no no

If you're playing a lot more than normal you could just be breaking in the strings/instrument (depending on how new it is). I would, if possible, keep it in a room with a more consistent temperature as that could be a source of the problem. It also has the potential to warp the body of its extreme enough over a long period of time.

When was the last time you changed your strings?

Yes no yes no no

If you're playing a lot more than normal you could just be breaking in the strings/instrument (depending on how new it is). I would, if possible, keep it in a room with a more consistent temperature as that could be a source of the problem. It also has the potential to warp the body of its extreme enough over a long period of time.

I bought the guitar used from a store in July and just assume it has new strings

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

Yes no yes no no

zHbOVI2.jpg

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    I pretty much have to tune my guitar every time I play because I fucking shred.

(also I have a crack in my headstock because my cat fought my guitar once)

Basically, I need a new one.

Yes no yes no no

I bought the guitar used from a store in July and just assume it has new strings

Yeah I would change them. 6 months is a lob time to go without a string change. Knowing that you're playing for several hours, I would suggest a monthly change.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I could use some new electric strings.

And should probably change my acoustic since they've been on their for like a year.

HAHA OH MY GOD I JUST PLAYED VIDEO GAME MUSIC
    https://youtu.be/zrCHFq5GB7U

There was a thing I crossed off my bucket list today.

That was to play guitar while my dog slept next to me, almost under the guitar itself.

She smol

Tfw you catch a guitar string under your fingernail instead of fretting it properly

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

Yes no yes no no

If it hasn't had new strings in 6 months and you're playing a lot, they're probably toast. Also, they may not be secured properly to the tuning posts...if this is the case, they won't stay in tune very well, especially if you're bending strings.

Yes no yes no no

If it hasn't had new strings in 6 months and you're playing a lot, they're probably toast. Also, they may not be secured properly to the tuning posts...if this is the case, they won't stay in tune very well, especially if you're bending strings.

When I have the money I'll pick up a new pack of strings and make sure to do it correctly.

https://youtu.be/VVOFibwVMw0

I sure fucking wish I could whistle

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tfw you catch a guitar string under your fingernail instead of fretting it properly

I trim my nails really short a habit I picked up in the Corps. so it just continues on because I play my guitar

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I accidentally won an eBay auction so uhhhhhh I'm waiting for this to arrive. 2pqddvbpci5e.png

Nice

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have this
    DSC00211.jpg
    A Gibson flying V90D that just wants to be played you can feel it when you touch it
    It's so nice and one of the well best guitars I have ever had I really do feel when I came back in 2003 from Afghanistan I did drive all the way to Peoria, IL to answer it's siren call

I use this to play rocksmith because that Gibson V is well intimating even though it wants to be played
    Image04082013084018_zps3573c4a9.jpg

I have an explorer bass that was tossed into the crowd in a fit from a few years ago
    But with the crap I deal with at work and the generally bad year I had kind of killed my interest in playing
    I also have a Ibanez rocket V from the 70's that was someone's abandoned project that I really have no idea what I want to do with

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I'm not that talented or good-looking

Fuck

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That's pretty much what I look like when playing.

What is this I don't even.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is all I have handy for anything I've written, and it's all super old. I wrote Perfect when I was 18; I'm 34 now, soon to be 35. Back then I wanted to write four chord love songs. Oy.

But listen to Perfect at around 2:30 and you'll see what I could do on harmonica 14 years ago, and I've only improved since then. That makes me feel a little less inferior, anyway.

Yesterday both my hands started moving on muscle memory. It was pretty awesome

Me: alright, ninth fret, yellow string...
    Pick hand: way ahead of you
    Fret hand: ninth fret, here we are! Do your thing, fingers!
    Fret fingers: do what now? BLEP PARP DERP DURP DERP

...Probably need more practice

I'm not that talented or good-looking

Fuck

With enough money you can be both

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Here are my babies.
    On the left, my Gretsch bass that I bought to play in a band, because at the time I wasn't needed for guitar. Love how it plays, and because I primarily play guitar the short scale neck is a breeze to use.

On the right, is my pride and joy. The Fender Marauder. The variety of tones I can get out of this thing is incredible. Jazzmaster neck pickup for clean tones (or weird punk fuzz sounds), and a TRIPLEBUCKER. I love, love, love this guitar. Never getting rid of it, and if somehow I end up actually playing shows at some point with the sorta new-wave stuff I have been making, I will snatch up a few more.

I ended up getting it used when they still were making them years ago, and since it has been discontinued it has gone up a little on the used market because it's a rare one-off design and layout.

gqjl377fzupm.jpg

PSN: BillyIdle_
    What does a triplebucker sound like

Does it actually cancel the hum or does it bring it back into the signal

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't know short scale basses were a thing. My main complaint of learning the bass is I wish my fingers were longer so I could play the first couple frets without having to shift my hand as much. Like doing a finger per fret is impossible on 1-4.

Lasbrook wrote: »
    Huh, I didn't know short scale basses were a thing. My main complaint of learning the bass is I wish my fingers were longer so I could play the first couple frets without having to shift my hand as much. Like doing a finger per fret is impossible on 1-4.

Look into ukulele basses (U-Bass)

OH GOD MY HAND I SHOULD HAVE NEVER USED THE RIFF REPEATER WHY DO I TOY WITH FORCES BEYOND MY CONTROL

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    It arrived today, first guitar I've touched in about 20 years.

8sdbCoI.jpg

I am mid life crisising so hard right now.

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

8sdbCoI.jpg

TOUCH IT

Spank that plank

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

8sdbCoI.jpg

TOUCH IT

I actually remembered some chords and worked out a Belle and Sebastian song, so yay for baby steps.

5gsowHm.png