As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Run the [Chat] 3

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    castle your left eye is a moe anime eye

I hate that photo because my long eyelash makes me look seriously weird

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    But she photoshopped a unicorn horn so

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Pretty sure if I was in an anime, I'd be the scientist/researcher guy that helps the main villain out in order to get access to the superweapon/promised land/god machine and near the end of the story I'd finally learn the amazing secret I was looking for and then just disappear now that I had what I was looking for while the hero and the villain go fight over whatever, fuck that shit I just learned the source code of the universe and went crazy.

We should be anime

I'd be the sarcastic friend who learns to express himself at the end and dies sacrificing himself

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I don't like RTJ. I feel like the violent call to action is wrong.

but maybe i'm a part of the problem idk.

in the RTJ3 album one song has a clip from, MLK that goes something like, "Riots are the language of the unheard."

Which is a very apt description. if a persons are being stuffed into the dirt and their righteous concerns aren't being at least considered and validated, then what choice to they have but to speak in a language that they know their oppressors will understand?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Pretty sure if I was in an anime, I'd be the scientist/researcher guy that helps the main villain out in order to get access to the superweapon/promised land/god machine and near the end of the story I'd finally learn the amazing secret I was looking for and then just disappear now that I had what I was looking for while the hero and the villain go fight over whatever, fuck that shit I just learned the source code of the universe and went crazy.

i would probably be the shopkeeper who was the protagonist's caring uncle and whose cart gets overturned during a chase/fight scene

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    You can't just choose your anime role like that.

You have to take one of those 15 question pseudo-personality tests to see which role you truly belong in.

With Love and Courage
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am perhaps unreasonably upset about my fucking sandwich being gone

I really really want to move out of here. But can't until we get our security deposit.

God forbid someone speak to me like a human being and ask me about it, nope, just gonna eat it or dispose of it without asking at all.

It is less the specific sandwich and more the principle of living with people who do not give a shit about my stuff at all unless it bothers them and then they do whatever they want with it. Because I'm subhuman garbage apparently.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

in the RTJ3 album one song has a clip from, MLK that goes something like, "Riots are the language of the unheard."

Which is a very apt description. if a persons are being stuffed into the dirt and their righteous concerns aren't being at least considered and validated, then what choice to they have but to speak in a language that they know their oppressors will understand?

tbf when has an oppressor been like oh your riots have made me realize and accept your grievances so let's work to make your situation better?

Nah I can choose my anime role it's cool I'm that anime guy

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The Ender wrote: »
    i don't see that establishing he's a bigot proves he's not witty or funny

I'm sure he's absolutely side splitting if you find homophobic jokes funny, which I suppose most people in his age cohort do.

alright

Well, if there were a politician or former SCOTUS member who was known for making 'sharp & whitty' anti-Semitic jokes, would you give that a pass?

just for a second- do you realize how insulting it is to suggest that i'm only bothered by wrong acts that target groups to which i belong? maybe you actually think i'm a piece of shit, in which case i guess this is a legitimate, probing question. but if you don't, then take note of it next time you're in this situation.

to answer your question, though- i wouldn't give virulent antisemitism a pass any more than i would virulent anti-black bigotry or homophobia. i'm not giving scalia 'a pass', in whatever litmus test context you're suggesting. whatever gross things he's said remain gross. what i'm taking issue with is what seems like the suggestion that holding bigoted views is the sum of a person. i don't believe there are beliefs that so fully inform someone's identify as to squeeze out any possible room for other traits or descriptors. maybe if someone holds reprehensible views you could say 'these are so bad that i don't care if he's funny, or charitable in his community' or whatever. and maybe scalia wasn't actually funny! like i said, a quick google didn't produce many chuckles from me. but i'm still comfortable with the idea that a truly horrible person can be clever or loyal or whatever.

Man this magicians episode

is it terrible?

Chanus wrote: »

is it terrible?

You're terrible! did you take my sandwich

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    You can't just choose your anime role like that.

You have to take one of those 15 question pseudo-personality tests to see which role you truly belong in.

link me. i wanna know what anime i am

steam_sig.png
    Sniper, I'd totally make you a new sandwich if it would make you feel better. Also if you were nearby.

I made a really tasty roast beef and swiss sandwich for lunch, and still have all the ingredients.

is it terrible?

Red rising started really slow too!!

Sniper, I'd totally make you a new sandwich if it would make you feel better. Also if you were nearby.

I made a really tasty roast beef and swiss sandwich for lunch, and still have all the ingredients.

Make and eat thine own sandwich, in memory of ham and cheese that has passed.

*dies*

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so my doctor recommended me get some tights or compressing leggings for my knee pain

I have half a mind to ignore mens tights and just get women's since holy fuck are they expensive as fuck since they're aimed at sports nerds

I guess I will be a pretty princess in my tights

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

I don't disagree but my biggest problem with their music is that it doesn't present those nuanced arguments up front.

steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

I'm sure he's absolutely side splitting if you find homophobic jokes funny, which I suppose most people in his age cohort do.

alright

Well, if there were a politician or former SCOTUS member who was known for making 'sharp & whitty' anti-Semitic jokes, would you give that a pass?

just for a second- do you realize how insulting it is to suggest that i'm only bothered by wrong acts that target groups to which i belong? maybe you actually think i'm a piece of shit, in which case i guess this is a legitimate, probing question. but if you don't, then take note of it next time you're in this situation.

to answer your question, though- i wouldn't give virulent antisemitism a pass any more than i would virulent anti-black bigotry or homophobia. i'm not giving scalia 'a pass', in whatever litmus test context you're suggesting. whatever gross things he's said remain gross. what i'm taking issue with is what seems like the suggestion that holding bigoted views is the sum of a person. i don't believe there are beliefs that so fully inform someone's identify as to squeeze out any possible room for other traits or descriptors. maybe if someone holds reprehensible views you could say 'these are so bad that i don't care if he's funny, or charitable in his community' or whatever. and maybe scalia wasn't actually funny! like i said, a quick google didn't produce many chuckles from me. but i'm still comfortable with the idea that a truly horrible person can be clever or loyal or whatever.

RBG considered him a dear personal friend.

I believe when considering Scalia the man, that should factor in.

spool32 on

alright

it is true a person can be a bigot and also otherwise useful

there's a thoroughly awful dude at work who also consistently has the highest sales numbers

scalia is just maybe not the easiest example for people to see this because his asshole views, often couched in shitty jokes, actually harmed thousands of people at once

so like, yeah he really knew how to game the law to support his deeply stupid and regressive viewpoints but

that's not admirable. he was an asshole

Remember when community sucked for the first few episodes

Me either but it did

spool32 wrote: »

alright

And now Cheeto will be replacing both of them with actual literal demons from hell. Friendship with him sure did a lot of good for the country, eh?

bowen wrote: »
    so my doctor recommended me get some tights or compressing leggings for my knee pain

I have half a mind to ignore mens tights and just get women's since holy fuck are they expensive as fuck since they're aimed at sports nerds

idk what causes your knee pain but mine is solved by 12-15 trips to the squat rack at about 130-150lbs, 10x5

is it terrible?

Red rising started really slow too!!

it was interesting and not stupid though

alright

Most decent people have terrible opinions about something, but are usually a decent human being at the end of the day.

However, someone in a position like the POTUS or SCOTUS.. they should be elevated and probably hold opinions that won't be punitive against a lot of people just because they personally feel one way or another.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

alright

there's a thoroughly awful dude at work who also consistently has the highest sales numbers

scalia is just maybe not the easiest example for people to see this because his asshole views, often couched in shitty jokes, actually harmed thousands of people at once

so like, yeah he really knew how to game the law to support his deeply stupid and regressive viewpoints but

i ain't defending anything about scalia's career as a jurist

bowen wrote: »

idk what causes your knee pain but mine is solved by 12-15 trips to the squat rack at about 130-150lbs, 10x5

mostly damage from working at UPS, kind of similar to a sports person's knees

it is exacerbated by my weight, but that's dropping and the pain is still mostly there

for the most part my knees are still okay and don't need surgery so he wants to see if this will work

Friendship matters, yes.

I mean I think we definitely should hyper partisan up even more

Lets do it

Glen beck can't turn around lets get im

Lets get them all

Do it do it do it

edited December 2016
    The idea that Scalia acted based solely (edit: or even sometimes) on his personal bigotry is extremely hard to support without some base assumptions that certain legal and philosophical positions are wrong and known to be wrong by all.

Basically, if you start with the assumption that he is obviously evil it's easy to conclude that he conducted himself as SCOTUS justice based on evil personal intent.

spool32 on
    Friendship matters, yes.

Friendship matters to each individual. It does not matter to the people your decisions are actively fucking over.

Alternate Post:
    Maybe the real justices are the friends we made along the way.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

alright

And now Cheeto will be replacing both of them with actual literal demons from hell. Friendship with him sure did a lot of good for the country, eh?

Her friendship with him had zero effect on trump getting elected so

What are you trying to say here

but yeah @spool32

weight lifting has helped, but my one knee just aches constantly, especially in this winter weather

alright

i ain't defending anything about scalia's career as a jurist

i know i'm just saying he's probably a difficult figure to be your example of just because he's an asshole doesn't mean he's not funny tack

because i mean yeah your underlying argument is true

but also he wasn't funny either outside of a few chuckle-worthy vocabulary words

I'm saying be good friends so that people speak highly of you. Some comments here are lacking. This conversation is a poor one on a cold night, friends.

The idea that Scalia acted based solely (edit: or even sometimes) on his personal bigotry is extremely hard to support without some base assumptions that certain legal and philosophical positions are wrong and known to be wrong by all.

Basically, if you start with the assumption that he is obviously evil it's easy to conclude that he conducted himself as SCOTUS justice based on evil personal intent.

the fact that he contradicted his own legal opinions dependent on whose side would win a case might support the theory he was just a partisan shitbird

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Oh if you are saying her friendship with him affected her rulings I will fight you on that for sure

most people make decisions based on their personal belief system

SCOTUS is no exception here. It's hard not to look at his interpretation of the constitution as anything other than one based on his belief system. Though his is probably most aligned with the "man the constitution isn't meant for this kind of shit, this is a state issue" philosophy (which is what a true GOP should probably be like).

The issue is, ultimately, that states are fucking terrible at denying good rights to others, and slow to adopt something that's being culturally pushed from around the world and most of the other states (looking at you red states) just because "culture" or "tradition" and this is why SCOTUS needs to get involved... and should probably not have someone be like "nah states should decide to fuck over their people, that's their right, it says so in the constitution, just elect better state people you fucktards" is a great philosophy in theory, but terrible in reality.

This discussion has been closed.