As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extending a boot partition--is it possible?

ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morningLoserdomRegistered User regular
I got a new hard drive for Christmas, and decided to go with a partitioned OS. I chose 60 GB (that was the upper range I saw in one article on the subject) for the OS's partition. Apparently that was not enough for Windows 7 Pro, as I haven't quite gotten all my updates and I'm down to less than 4 gigs space. (Should have waited for my cousin's advice; he belatedly told me to do 100).

Here are my partitions as they are now.

05PzxVu.png

There's 16 gigs there on the left and I should be able to extend into that (unless you can only extend to the right?), but I can't. The OS partition is also the boot volume, and from what I've read you can't extend a boot partition in Windows 7's Disk Manager.

I have, however, seen that there are programs that can add unallocated space from anywhere on the disk to a partition, and supposedly onto a boot volume. AOMEI's Partition Assistant, EaseUs, Partition Manager, etc. Has anyone done this with any of these programs, and if so how did it go? Or is there a way to do it just through Windows's built-in tools?

Shadowen on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    they work okay

they usually work flawlessly when the partitions/unallocated spaces are adjacent

it gets dicey if, say, you wanted to use that 42 gb in the F volume

just as an fyi, make everything on a single disk one partition unless there's a real need to split it up, chances are you're going to nuke the secondary partitions when you do a format by accident at some point

get an external drive to move steam stuff/documents back and forth

much, much less grief in the end (I used to do that stuff too)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So would merging F and G be advisable at this point or would I have to reformat and redo everything that way?

• Options
    if you have the energy to do it, I'd probably do it

you run into other issues like installers almost always using some part of the "C:" drive to store their data (and the registry) so even at your best efforts 100 gigs will slowly melt away.

I installed visual studio to my platter drive once to save space and found out it still took something like 20 gigs on my C drive for "reasons".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    guyyhagafghafhahfg

So there's no real way to merge F and G without doing a total reformat?

• Options
    not easily

the system partition fucks it up

partition software might be able to do it, depending on how much free space is available on the drive

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Hmm. So, I get an external, move all the junk from G onto that, format G. Would there be any problem adding the resulting space to F, given how it's empty, with partition software?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    That system partition fucks shit up, but most partition software should work, even free ones like gparted. Adding it all to F and moving the system partition to the end should be doable.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I mean, I would copy all of your stuff off the drive and nuke the whole thing from orbit and replace it with one single partition for everything. There's going to be all kinds of programs sticking all kinds of stuff into your user folder and whatever space you think is enough probably won't be.

• Options
    good partition software should be able to move system files and the likes and move it back to free sectors once it's done doing what it needs to

but yeah

nuke from orbit is the simplest and less hassle and will take the least amount of time

• Options
    Figured. Thanks, folks.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    they work okay

they usually work flawlessly when the partitions/unallocated spaces are adjacent

it gets dicey if, say, you wanted to use that 42 gb in the F volume

just as an fyi, make everything on a single disk one partition unless there's a real need to split it up, chances are you're going to nuke the secondary partitions when you do a format by accident at some point

get an external drive to move steam stuff/documents back and forth

much, much less grief in the end (I used to do that stuff too)

I split my main drive and I've literally never done this, or had a problem with it.

Its saved endless headaches, as long as you don't mash your keyboard with a cured ham while you do rare reinstalls :rotate:

Personally I split between windows and everything else. Installed programs go on the non-windows, Sure if windows borks and has to be reinstalled..you'll have to reinstall the programs, but you wont lose any precious data stored away in their folders.