As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Sixth Extinction

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Sixth Extinction

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the stupid we ask of them is why Skynet will kill us all.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Being afraid of the surveillance AI is silly when you should really be afraid of all the real human people collecting and using the data. They are much worse.

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    So would this be considered a tribute to George Michael, considering he died on Christmas day?

2016 killed a lot of my childhood :(

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Being afraid of the surveillance AI is silly when you should really be afraid of all the real human people collecting and using the data. They are much worse.

Either way, whether the comic is meant to be a parody or not I think people should seriously consider rejecting the use of a lot new technology that comes out. When it isn't surveiling you, its so easy to use that it obscures process of what actually goes on. If you get used to these personal assistants doing/planning everything for you and the power goes out, I don't think a lot of people will be able to cope. Especially if you grow up and this is the norm from the time you are a child.

• Options
    CellarRatCellarRat Registered User new member
    We are becoming Eloi.

But seriously, has any one ever read Jack Williamson 'The Humanoids'?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The real security issue is the internet (cloud servers, streaming, etc.) and the range of information that organizations are allowed to ask of you in exchange for their services. If security is a concern, you have to go for encrypted, air-gapped services with only discrete and specific information passed back and forth. The action of being able to turn a light on with your voice is harmless. Your electrical system being hackable is another matter.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Comedy RefluxComedy Reflux Web creator FlandersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    First PA-comic I ever saw being drawn live (usually out of luck with those time zones). I'll never forget that moment when Mike himself drew art of Gabe and Tycho 69-ing. Dat charity pressure tho.

Comedy Reflux on
    Banner_2.jpg
    Back after a three year hiatus!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    We bought so many echo's and echo dots for gifts this year. I believe the end count was 11 we had purchased for others. We purchased 2 for our house this year. Am I a robot collaborator?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cantelope wrote: »

Either way, whether the comic is meant to be a parody or not I think people should seriously consider rejecting the use of a lot new technology that comes out. When it isn't surveiling you, its so easy to use that it obscures process of what actually goes on. If you get used to these personal assistants doing/planning everything for you and the power goes out, I don't think a lot of people will be able to cope. Especially if you grow up and this is the norm from the time you are a child.

Nah. If there's an unending power outage we've got bigger problems than being able to buy movie tickets via voice commands.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Nah. If there's an unending power outage we've got bigger problems than being able to buy movie tickets via voice commands.

yeah - having map apps on our phones means most people don't buy paper roadmaps anymore (much less know how to read them), but that doesn't mean we should abstain from using new, more convenient technology because of the chance that it might fail.

I know I've really let my smoke-signalling and Morse code skills lapse lately.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

yeah - having map apps on our phones means most people don't buy paper roadmaps anymore (much less know how to read them), but that doesn't mean we should abstain from using new, more convenient technology because of the chance that it might fail.

US Navy has re-added charting your course via sextant to their officer curriculum in the last couple years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

US Navy has re-added charting your course via sextant to their officer curriculum in the last couple years.

Which makes sense. Military use more convenient technology but prepare for worst case scenarios. But there's not a whole lot of advantage for most people to do so unless they're simply interested.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    It has no mouth and it must stream.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    tycho's influence I take it?

• Options
    geniekidgeniekid Registered User regular
    I feel the comic would flow better if the text boxes for Alexa were underneath Kara's face in the 2nd and 3rd frame.

• Options
    awsomesaucekirbyawsomesaucekirby Registered User new member
    Whoa, she's washing by HAND in an age of such technology... talk about values dissonance...