As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Vitreous Humor

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Vitreous Humor

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

zerzhul on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Still better then Furbies. They live off human souls.

• identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    If you don't like it, take it up with the universe.

Words to end 2016 by.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I remember the furby craze. I was in high school and had to line up at Toys R Us at 4am to make sure my mom and sister got one as their Christmas gifts. Naturally, I bought one for myself because I was going through the effort. It was amusing briefly, but ended up under my bed and ignored for a year. Till one night, something odd happened with the battery or something, and the furby just started screaming. It hadn't been touched or looked at in months, and suddenly it was screaming and wriggling. I ended up pulling it out from under the bed and attacking it with a screwdriver to get the batteries out.

Hatchimals seem like basically furbies, but with a much cooler delivery package. Who doesn't love the idea of hatching a mythical creature out of an egg?

What is this I don't even.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I remember the furby craze. I was in high school and had to line up at Toys R Us at 4am to make sure my mom and sister got one as their Christmas gifts. Naturally, I bought one for myself because I was going through the effort. It was amusing briefly, but ended up under my bed and ignored for a year. Till one night, something odd happened with the battery or something, and the furby just started screaming. It hadn't been touched or looked at in months, and suddenly it was screaming and wriggling. I ended up pulling it out from under the bed and attacking it with a screwdriver to get the batteries out.

Hatchimals seem like basically furbies, but with a much cooler delivery package. Who doesn't love the idea of hatching a mythical creature out of an egg?
    Your furby was screaming it's death cry.

This toy is neat to look at and watch hatch, but honestly I bet by the time May rolls around, Hatchimal's will have gone the way of your furby. Then next year they'll sell the 2.0 version with a really annoying advertisement, but it'll only sell about half as good as this years one and they'll never really recapture that "magic."

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So is there context for the eyeball thing?

A quick Google search for Hatchimals did not yield any stories of children being maimed by their Christmas toys.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I had no idea what a Hatchimal was, so I googled it, and yeah, it looks like a Furby.

But the best part about that search is that it pulls up 3 articles from noted publications, not The Onion, or the Beaverton or Cracked, and they all report that parents are claiming the Hatchimals swear real curse words when they "sleep."

I had no interest in one before, but this is the kind of thing that makes owning one of the defective models much more valuable than a proper version, and to certain collectors in 20 years or so, could be rather lucrative.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I wish Reddit's frontpage was that funny every time I visited it

• sparkskysparksky Registered User regular
    Who doesn't love the idea of hatching a mythical creature out of an egg?

It seems the guys were on this 4.5 years ago.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/29/innovation

"When I was in school, they told me practice makes perfect. Then they told me nobody's perfect. So I stopped practicing." --Steven Wright
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If you don't like it, take it up with the universe.

Words to end 2016 by.

i've got a real bone to pick with the universe

might have to pull a Hactar

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

A quick Google search for Hatchimals did not yield any stories of children being maimed by their Christmas toys.

The only thing I heard on the news was a lot of them just didn't work and a whole lot of kids being disappointed/underwhelmed.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

The hatchimals were the hottest kids' toy of Christmas this year. There was some widespread complaint (real or just blown out of proportion) of some number of them being defective. The defect was just that they broke. But I imagine this comic gestated out of all of that somehow.

What is this I don't even.
  • CharlesMabeCharlesMabe Registered User regular
    Hey look, more negative occult trash in my Penny Arcade.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Is it really your Penny Arcade, though? I mean, their name is on the letterhead.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

Go away.

• PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    Vitreous Humor? Eye see what you did there.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

The hatchimals were the hottest kids' toy of Christmas this year. There was some widespread complaint (real or just blown out of proportion) of some number of them being defective. The defect was just that they broke. But I imagine this comic gestated out of all of that somehow.
    They're powered by a battery that comes already installed, and which apparently aren't replaceable until after they hatch out of their egg. Also, they sold out in many markets way back in October and pretty much everywhere else by the first half of November, and I'm not aware of anywhere that got them back in stock ever, they even stopped advertising them. So these things have been sitting with their non replaceable batteries (probably all from those bizarre unheard of off-brands you always see in batteries-included crap) installed for up to three months.

Short version: Many batteries were long dead by the time Christmas morning rolled around.

Also, there's another thing with them. Apparently the few people who were actually able to make theirs work found that some of the weird animal cooing noises they make kind of sound like they're saying, "fuck me fuck me" over and over when they're asleep. And while this is definitely reversing-the-record levels of hearing something because you really, really want to hear something, once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

So, yeah, it's a toy you give your child that has a high probability of actually dying while it's being born, and if it manages to survive birth, mumbles sexual things to your child in the night. Eating eyes might have been an improvement.

Hevach on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hatchimals are just dumb furry penguins. Kids don't know shit about crap.

5545340_R_Z001A?fmt=pjpg&wid=570&hei=513

H9f4bVe.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    GO FOR THE EYES BOO! GO FOR THE EYES! RAAAAASK!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

*Incredulous look* ... I think you've inadvertently stumbled into the rest of the world's Penny Arcade. If negative occult humor puts you off, you should definitely find your way back to YOUR Penny Arcade. This one is done by some dudes named Mike and Jerry, and has always contained crazy dark humor at times.

A L W A Y S.

Zomagic on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Isn't the very first penny arcade "negative occult" themed?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What the hell even is negative occult?
    Like, how does it differ from neutral occult, or positive occult? Is negative occult attracted to positive occult? If you multiply a negative occult by a negative occult, do you get a positive occult?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I should think it fairly clear that "negative" is being used here to just mean it's bad. "Occult" is part of the object, not the adjective.

edited December 2016
    cB557 wrote: »
    What the hell even is negative occult?
    Like, how does it differ from neutral occult, or positive occult? Is negative occult attracted to positive occult? If you multiply a negative occult by a negative occult, do you get a positive occult?

Well, occult just implies obscure or secret knowledge and all that, but I think it is in reference to things like blood sacrifice and eyeball eating. If we're getting pedantic, I don't even see anything occult here. Dark humor sci-fi, perhaps, but I get the jist of what he was saying there. I think it was something along the lines of "I'm religious and dark humor offends me, so I'm going to call it occult, bawwwwwww."

Zomagic on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Y'all don't need to really address his concerns

Tube wrote: »
    Y'all don't need to really address his concerns

I think we're just poking fun at this point. I am ;)

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    You're an unseen one, Mr. Grinch.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "DARKEWOLFE / DECEMBER 2016
    I remember the furby craze. I was in high school and had to line up at Toys R Us at 4am to make sure my mom and sister got one as their Christmas gifts. Naturally, I bought one for myself because I was going through the effort. It was amusing briefly, but ended up under my bed and ignored for a year. Till one night, something odd happened with the battery or something, and the furby just started screaming. It hadn't been touched or looked at in months, and suddenly it was screaming and wriggling. I ended up pulling it out from under the bed and attacking it with a screwdriver to get the batteries out."

This was far more hilarious than the comic was. I laughed so hard I cried. If they were smart they'd steel this idea for another comic.