As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New Years Plans] Party like 2016 is finally over.

2»

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    ttd4ac64p51t.jpg

what the fuck does this mean?

A fairly old new year tradition was the personification of the last year as an old man and the new year as a baby, with the old man passing the torch.

In this instance, the old man looks to be trying his damndest to keep the baby safe.

I get it, but it is drawing from old symbolism people don't really adhere to any more.

But the old man has a scythe? Since when does Father Time have a scythe? Shouldn't the new year baby be 2017?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Plus if the wall is made of terrorists and debt, what is the wave all that is holding back?

nibXTE7.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The comic's presumably from a year ago.

I assume the scythe is the creator's subtle hint that the year is ending.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Political comics: Always a bad idea.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Plus if the wall is made of terrorists and debt, what is the wave all that is holding back?

Tyranids

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Gonna keep it low key this year. Pizza party and D&D shenanigans maybe some board games

Hooray

• japanjapan Registered User regular

2017 is going to have a plot twist you won't believe

japan wrote: »

Gonna be yuuuuge

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    We're having Taco Bell for dinner. Living up that heathen life style.

Also I got my magic wand and the people in the sex shop were fucking rad. So if you're ever in Troy, NY hit up "Amazing".

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Gonna be yuuuuge

sad

steam_sig.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Boardgames: played drunkness:achieved 2016:over

Happy new year folks, and may the next one be better.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    This is my second New Years since I started work back in 07 that I'm not working New Years Eve or starting a 24 at 7 am on New Years Day.

Wife is 6 months pregnant and we're not doing shit. I may get drunk.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Probably going to be hiding in my room with the cats and video games this year. My ability to socialize has pretty well died now that my job involves so much talking.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    All my friends are still out of town so fuck it imma stay up and get some watch quals done with the rest of the unhappily sober people.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sitting at home playing games and reading the forums/watching Giant Bomb videos. Same as every night, since I don't like the taste of alcohol and I rarely go outside to go anywhere and I don't have any local friends. I guess around 12:05 i'll look at the clock and think "huh, oh right." then get ready for bed.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Watching the Russian New Year celebrations on their channel 1. Imagine if we had every celebrity in the U.S. attend a non-stop Christmas concert, and the sole goal for all you plebs watching is to become ultra-rich enough to attend.

Good music though!

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Finally. 2016 is gone. Shoved out the door like that drunken guest who you wished you never invited.

I watched across the sound, looking at Denmark as they once again spent a lot more on fireworks than we did (seriously, the night sky over Helsingør was lit up for over 30 minutes with fireworks explosions blanketing the sky like a rainbow AA barrage) and the words of the actor Ernst Hugo Järegård comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcJZ3-cJKc

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Not doing a damn thing other than reading A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman and finishing Titanfall 2.

Oh, the exciting life I lead.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm hopped up on dayquil and hoping to have a cocktail before the sick attacks me again.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Happy New Year everyone! Tonight I'm going with the fiancee to a Prohibition​ themed cider fest in Seattle. Hope everyone has a good time tonight!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm glad 2016 is over. Literally the worst year of my life, what with my brother passing away and all. Everything else that happened this year was just the shit icing on the shit cake that was 2016.

I hope that 2017 is better, but I don't have much reason to think it will be.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Its Father Time and Baby New Year. They're pretty traditional symbols going back centuries. Basically Cronus and Baby Jesus and traditional anthropomorphization of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Time
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_New_Year

My plans involved doing nothing. Little Deus Ex, little Overwatch, little reading.

It was excellent. Just what I needed after a Xmas that involved 4 Christmas day family gatherings

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    ttd4ac64p51t.jpg

what the fuck does this mean?

A fairly old new year tradition was the personification of the last year as an old man and the new year as a baby, with the old man passing the torch.

In this instance, the old man looks to be trying his damndest to keep the baby safe.

I get it, but it is drawing from old symbolism people don't really adhere to any more.

But the old man has a scythe? Since when does Father Time have a scythe? Shouldn't the new year baby be 2017?
    Father Time is usually depicted as an elderly bearded man with wings, dressed in a robe and carrying a scythe and an hourglass or other timekeeping device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Time

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I watched a livestream of the proceedings for 32 seconds so I could bother / smooch my already sleeping wife at the appropriate time. I'd blame the kids, but we were already feeling lame and old the year before they turned up. They were just a convenient excuse.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Not doing a damn thing other than reading A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman and finishing Titanfall 2.

Oh, the exciting life I lead.

How about that ending, though!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Watching the Russian New Year celebrations on their channel 1. Imagine if we had every celebrity in the U.S. attend a non-stop Christmas concert, and the sole goal for all you plebs watching is to become ultra-rich enough to attend.

Good music though!

Comrade Trump (Thank you Sleep) will make sure your terrible wish is granted.
    Veevee wrote: »
    Driving from Colorado to Wisconsin with my wife. We hope to get home before midnight and snuggle with our kitties to ring in the new year, but we'll probably still be on the road when midnight hits.

Ended up celebrating the new year on the road near Des Moines. Saw some pretty fireworks from the highway at least!

Veevee on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    rockrnger wrote: »
    ttd4ac64p51t.jpg

That old man is super worried about brown people.

It's drawn by Gary Fucking Varvel (political cartoonist of the paper where I live). He's very, very worried about brown people.

He got in some shit a couple years ago for drawing a Mexican family sneaking into a white family's house for Thanksgiving dinner ("thanks to the President's immigration order"). Then, this year, he got into some more shit for a drawing he did of Indy 500 winners where he drew them all as white dudes (Juan Pablo Montoya: not exactly the whitest guy ever). So yeah, really worried about brown people. He's got a bad case of "economic anxiety", and is a fucking right-wing nut-job in general.

Not at all surprised that emnmnme ran across that; might've heard about it on some right-wing radio.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Had a great night but now my everything hurts

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Not at all surprised that emnmnme ran across that; might've heard about it on some right-wing radio.

tx89h0dotyh0.jpg