As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

1535455565759»

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So I'm playing Bayonetta 2 again, a bit more seriously now that I've had a couple of years to let it digest

I'm playing it on Infinite Climax mode now. In the first game, Infinite Climax felt like a wholly different game, with Witch Time not working most of the time; it was fun, but it took a lot of changes to your style to make it work. You got really good using the Moon, and a couple of other accessories, or you got your face knocked off every time you turned around. It took the primary defensive mechanic wholly out of the game while making enemies faster, stronger, and more aggressive, which made for a fun experience but it didn't really gel so hot with how the game worked on lower difficulties

Bayonetta 2 isn't like that. Certain enemies no longer care about Wicked Weaves or Umbran Climax in terms of being staggered, and bosses don't care at all, but they can still be staggered as normal when you're in Witch Time. Since Witch Time's duration depends on what attacks you dodge, the ability to read attacks and respond to them is more important than ever, so it's like a more extreme version of normal gameplay. Umbran Climax suddenly matters a lot, not as an "I win" button but as a spacing tool against normal enemies and for punching through the defenses of enemies who like to block

Hmmm

Do blocking enemies, like the shield-carrying centaur angels, stop blocking as much when you taunt? This will merit testing

Also I'm experimenting with weapons because I love the Chain Chomp in theory but my go-to combo is still Salamandra on the hands and Alraune on the feet

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Transformers Devastation will be free with PS+ for October

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Boy I'm glad I didn't drop money on Transformers back when it came out.

It's fun enough, but the thing is short as hell.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I accidentally bought Transformers twice because I forgot I already got it off of a sale and just never played.

Still the free download cause I didn't have it on my PS4.

• Options
    Devastation is a good game but enjoyment of it is really contingent on approaching it with the intent to master it by playing it a bunch of times, wrapping your head around the system, etc.

It doesn't give a really high "Oh this one playthrough was so good" satisfaction like a more mainline Platinum production like Bayo or W101 or Rising

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I accidentally bought Transformers twice because I forgot I already got it off of a sale and just never played.

Still the free download cause I didn't have it on my PS4.

One time I was in a GameStop buying a used copy of Dragon Age 2 because I couldn't find my copy, and the clerk was giving me the oddest look.

Because, you see, two days prior I had entered the store with my brother, completely zonked on NyQuil because I was fighting a fever cold, and traded in my copy of Dragon Age 2.

Which I was now buying back.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    NyQuil is bad shit.

That stuff fucks me up really bad. Last time I took the liquid I felt like I was dying.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm playing Transformers now and it's mostly just frustrating
    I've failed this Devastator fight several times because I think the timing on dodges is garbage
    He does a blue flash before he strikes, but you can dodge right then because it's too early, and I don't even feel like there's a consistent amount of time before the flash and the attack

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah that actually messed me up quite a bit in that game too.

For many enemies the flash is more "hey, I'm going to attack soon, watch out" instead of "hey I'm attacking you right now you should dodge".

The flash is to catch your attention and then you have to look for the actual attack animation.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    There's nothing for that except practice, and dodging the actual attack instead of the flash

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Really want to play Furi when I have the time, it looks really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZwVRXepQ0

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah Furi's good

The final final boss isn't great but the journey there is good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    That vid made me put Furi on my Steam wishlist

That visual style is so strong it might be worth playing for that alone

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Boy I'm glad I didn't drop money on Transformers back when it came out.

It's fun enough, but the thing is short as hell.

I got it on sale for about 12 bucks.

For 12 bucks, it's pretty good!

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    That's some good as hell boxart.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I look forward to the cg render of a face that we will get as boxart

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oh my god, the PSN preorder bonus for Nier in Japan is this support pod skin:

NieR-Automata-JPN_11-01-16_002.jpg

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    So I was on Platinum's twitter and found a video with like half an hour of Nier gameplay in it

My goal was to stay strong and not watch anything for this game but I'm weak and keep going back to watch little chunks

It looks real good. Also sounds real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEraGFZWoM

(starts around 20 minutes)

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
  • Options
    "This year" is an awfully big window for a game announcement, but that's still pretty exciting

dN0T6ur.png