As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should auld [Podcasts] be forgot, and always rewatch shows

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The dwemer are definitely worse than the marukhati

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    the first video i unlocked being a long lecture about why art is worthless and pointless and people only like it because it makes them feel good and the only thing worth studying is science was definitely not a strong start for that game's message for me

but eh, i enjoyed the game enough that i didn't really care that most of the videos and logs were obnoxious to me

You mean the lecture where the guy says that the problem is that people on each end of the spectrum of science and the arts need to stop trying to ostracize the other end, and that the people who mingle in the middle are the most interesting?

Isn't that a completely different thing you get way later, as opposed to the one at the start which takes a much harder stance

I haven't played the game yet but I've heard a looooot about these logs

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the first video i unlocked being a long lecture about why art is worthless and pointless and people only like it because it makes them feel good and the only thing worth studying is science was definitely not a strong start for that game's message for me

but eh, i enjoyed the game enough that i didn't really care that most of the videos and logs were obnoxious to me

You mean the lecture where the guy says that the problem is that people on each end of the spectrum of science and the arts need to stop trying to ostracize the other end, and that the people who mingle in the middle are the most interesting?

no, but i did forget that that lecture was in there

i'm talking about the guy who holds up a piece of ancient art and says that this is easy to look at because people are in it, and then holds up a microscope slide and says that that's the thing you should spend your time studying if you want to understand the world

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Isn't that a completely different thing you get way later, as opposed to the one at the start which takes a much harder stance

I haven't played the game yet but I've heard a looooot about these logs

you can techincally unlock the videos in any order, but the door that the "fuck art" video is hidden behind is right near the beginning, and only uses the very first puzzle mechanic the game introduces you to

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Don't the logs in The Witness end up providing contradictory views by the time you've looked at them all? I think it's hard to look at any one of them and say that that was Jonathan Blow's perspective when ultimately it seems like his perspective is that a lot of people have different perspectives.

And for a game that has puzzles that require you to look at them in different ways and from different vantage points in order to complete them I think that's probably the more likely interpretation.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    listening to the FatT holiday special

so I'm of the opinion that a character you play as in D&D or the like often shows a side of you as a person you wish to explore

Jack has a recurring thing with his characters in that they all seem monumentally uncertain and often very afraid to be proactive

and I'm like

huh

ok

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    A little crazy that Waypoint has a whole category about outstanding performances in games and Uncharted isn't even mentioned, but I guess it's that kind of different site

6F32U1X.png
    Fuck art = fart

PNk1Ml4.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It's true, holly is a known invasive weed.

It's great that the community is spreading awareness of this in the new year.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I hope our Hollyweed takes to this as quickly as Bojack's Hollywoo did.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    listening to the FatT holiday special

so I'm of the opinion that a character you play as in D&D or the like often shows a side of you as a person you wish to explore

Jack has a recurring thing with his characters in that they all seem monumentally uncertain and often very afraid to be proactive

and I'm like

huh

ok

A lot of his characters have that but then you get something like Finale Orth and it owns

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Also lem in s3 is so so good, this reckless self destructive boy

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The Beastcast Heist of the New Year's Ball is off to a great start.
    "Can I change The Foreign Language Interpreter of ThingZ to The Fighter, Lover, Interpreter of ThingZ?"

"...does FLITZ fuck?"

Edit: Ahahahaha, "Meghan?!"

Mx. Quill on

oh man if this is a Collateral Beauty episode

6F32U1X.png
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Prayer emoji.jpg

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Don't the logs in The Witness end up providing contradictory views by the time you've looked at them all? I think it's hard to look at any one of them and say that that was Jonathan Blow's perspective when ultimately it seems like his perspective is that a lot of people have different perspectives.

You can also end up finding audio logs from the perspective of the people involved with putting these logs in the world, which are even more explicit about finding and providing contradictory views.

And sandwiches.

euj90n71sojo.png
    The rebel kills the king while the witness is maimed. All creation springs from this event.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm technically not done with the Witness, but I've gotten all but one of the videos and am in the (pretty sure) last area.

I think saying "this video is the first one you could get" is dubious because you have to see the door and solve the puzzle, and there's no guarantee for either of those just because it's the closest one to the starting area.

While I've liked a lot of the quotes and stuff, I definitely agree it falls heavily on the pretentious side of things. I can see how some people would get irritated by that... I certainly lost my patience with a couple of those videos.

That goddamn candle video made me more angry at a piece of media than I thought was possible.

I may have to tap out on this Cool Games Inc

I'm 15 minutes in and it is just staggeringly unfunny

6F32U1X.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I really don't know what happened there, it's really really bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

It just made me realize that if this show had no audience suggestions it would be terrible

6F32U1X.png

It just made me realize that if this show had no audience suggestions it would be terrible

It's just weird because car boys is super enjoyable, Nick and griffin have really good rapport

I'm not sure what happened there

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I liked it

cgi is for me

PNk1Ml4.png
    That goddamn candle video made me more angry at a piece of media than I thought was possible.

Apparently it's the ending of Nostalghia, a Tarkovsky film that was quite lauded when it was released.

But including the final minutes of it without context kind of robs it of its original weight. I viewed it as a cheeky commentary on how puzzle games often make the player feel.

edited January 2017

Apparently it's the ending of Nostalghia, a Tarkovsky film that was quite lauded when it was released.

But including the final minutes of it without context kind of robs it of its original weight. I viewed it as a cheeky commentary on how puzzle games often make the player feel.

Even within context that scene is incredibly not for me. I mean, I find Blade Runner to be interminable, how else am I going to view a dude trying to walk across an empty pool with a lit candle for an eight and a half minute long single shot? Nevermind that the stated reason "it will save the world" both doesn't make sense and was told to him by a person with mental problems.

That's the video where I discovered that the line can be used as a timeline to scrub through the videos to get to the important parts of them.

Aistan on
    the candle scene fucking owns

its closest video game equivalent is that one ffxv trailer which is just two minutes of the king crying and holding his son in the rain

PNk1Ml4.png
    A lot of the stuff seemed to reflect the nature of the puzzle game somehow. And regardless of whether the quotes were from a spiritualist or rationalist perspective, they all angled on humanity's place and the possibilities available before us.

• supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

Prayer emoji.jpg

I was thinking maybe Passengers but this is also possible.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I didn't think passengers was a particularly bad movie, outside of how you feel about the narrative decisions surrounding that one thing

not that it's great or anything, but

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I remember when Jonathan Blow was hiring people for The Witness he made a post on Polycount stating he wouldn't consider any artists if their portfolios had guns or orcs in them, which basically disqualifies a lot of the most talented and creative people in the industry. I think my eyes almost rolled right the fuck out of my skull when I read that.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited January 2017
    I remember when Jonathan Blow was hiring people for The Witness he made a post on Polycount stating he wouldn't consider any artists if their portfolios had guns or orcs in them, which basically disqualifies a lot of the most talented and creative people in the industry. I think my eyes almost rolled right the fuck out of my skull when I read that.

jesus christ is this true

I feel like it almost has to be misconstrued, its too awful

Chincymcchilla on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

It's just weird because car boys is super enjoyable, Nick and griffin have really good rapport

The description makes it sound like they're just talking about games they liked
    Is it... not that

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Is it... not that

they're trying to do some kind of schtick that I don't think lands

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Is it... not that

They took suggestions and instead of "creating" a game they chose suggestions as a game of the year and talked about them as such

it's

not a good formula shift

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    they indeed talk about some of their favorite games of the year, such as splinter, the sequel to splinter cell: blacklist, and rouge one: a star wars story, starring rouge the bat

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

jesus christ is this true

I feel like it almost has to be misconstrued, its too awful

I can't find the post right now because Polycount has changed their forums around a bit since then and it might have been lost. Google's not really any help as posts from the fantastic artist he hired are mostly what I'm finding. Check out the art dump for the game here if your bandwidth can handle it:

http://polycount.com/discussion/165170/the-witness-art-dump

Also apparently they're staffing up for a new game.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hey TWA guys, is there supposed to be a silent guest in Saturday's episode? There keeps being pauses and then you guys respond to stuff that wasn't said, like a piece of the conversation is missing. I think I might just barely hear the person on someone else's recording.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.